• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

ElFly

donny2112 said:
Has the "real-time equipment display" in DQIX caused anyone else to forego slightly better equipment in favor of a better matching outfit?

I never use the transparent pants, cause my mans look like they are running in their underwear.

Cheerilee

Oni Link 666 said:
I'm at Wormwood and I found the thing by the statue, now what?
Bring it to the girl in the cave to the Northeast of Wormwood. She'll let you into the next area, which is to the Northwest of Wormwood.

donny2112 said:
Has the "real-time equipment display" in DQIX caused anyone else to forego slightly better equipment in favor of a better matching outfit?
Almost constantly.

Oxx

Oh my. I've found a rich seam of Metal Kings in my current grotto. I wasn't planning on doing any serious leveling, but when in Rome...

Oxx

I've been stockpiling a load of mini-medals after finally reaching the 80 that the dude required. Does his selection of things to spend them on change or is that it?

zigg

platypotamus said:
I just got my first treasure map. This excites me far more than it probably should.
It probably does, since that first map has incredibly easy enemies and a boss that will likely destroy you at the bottom, if you are anything like me. :lol

It all gets better and awesome as you go on, though.

botticus

Oxx said:
I've been stockpiling a load of mini-medals after finally reaching the 80 that the dude required. Does his selection of things to spend them on change or is that it?
What you see is what you get. So generally speaking you can start buying orichalcum or reset stones to your heart's content.

Oxx

I'm feeling pretty locked-in to this current grotto. Killing everything at will, watching both screens at once, gliding around the maze effortlessly.

Probably too many energy drinks today.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
keiichi said:
Wish I could have gotten more if the old DQ gear but today was nice with the lucky pendant and brown afro
I got three sainted somas, an ethereal stone and a red afro.

Lucky pendant?! Oh man I need so many of those.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Wow,
Goreham-Hogg
absolutely totaled my party the other day. I am a bit behind in equipment too, since $$ has been really hard to come by lately. I might have to... do the unthinkable... GRIND! Time to turn in my DQ fanboy badge (shaped like a Slime of course) :p

ElFly

Why in the holy name of fuck I can't get a Silver Grotto!???!!!

This stupid requirement for a quest has me stumped.

Oxx

Okay.

It's Saturday
The weather's great
I'm going on a mammoth train journey
Stopping-off in the second largest city in England

This is the last time I'm going to try tag mode before consigning it to the dustbin of history.

nli10

Oxx said:
Okay.

It's Saturday
The weather's great
I'm going on a mammoth train journey
Stopping-off in the second largest city in England

This is the last time I'm going to try tag mode before consigning it to the dustbin of history.

Ha - I'm not in town today (if indeed you did mean B'ham) otherwise I'd be tempted to meet up!

Portugeezer

I am 32 hours in, on the tiger looking boss (I think in the Gittish empire) with the sword, he gets 2 fucking turns!!

I grinded a bit, still can't beat him, never had a problem with the other bosses. Usually beat them first time.

Oxx

nli10 said:
Ha - I'm not in town today (if indeed you did mean B'ham) otherwise I'd be tempted to meet up!

Ha. I'm just walking between stations, but it would have been nice to have at least one guest in my inn.

nli10

Oxx said:
Ha. I'm just walking between stations, but it would have been nice to have at least one guest in my inn.

F1 is later today so I'm glued to TV and I have to go out to Mosely this evening otherwise I'd have been in town. Oh well - good luck on the hunt! My inn shall remain empty too.

And yeah - that Tiger boss took me by surprise and made me go off and change back to my main classes. :D

Oxx

The numbers are taunting me on my battle records:

185:40 hours played
5757 victories
116 x alchemy
167 accolades
60 x quests
41 x grottoes
0 x guests canvassed

Finally got my hat today for purchasing the game at Best Buy. Since I don't believe anyone has posted pics of it, I will.
Front
TtCPI.jpg

Back
oaeIA.jpg

Well, I've never been one to wear a hat before, and this one certainly isn't going to change that.

Oxx

I can't help but think that an all MKS map would almost break the game.

Sure, the main objective of the post-game is to increase your numbers so that you can defeat enemies with higher numbers and find equipment with better numbers, but for some reason I'm not sure if such easy access to huge amounts of XP would be satisfying.

djtiesto

Easystride said:
Finally got my hat today for purchasing the game at Best Buy. Since I don't believe anyone has posted pics of it, I will.
Front
TtCPI.jpg

Back
oaeIA.jpg

Well, I've never been one to wear a hat before, and this one certainly isn't going to change that.

I haven't got mine yet, :( here's hoping they didn't run out by the time I picked my copy up (on launch day, after being a part of BB's Gamerzone rewards club)... maybe it just didn't get mailed to me yet.

donny2112

Oxx said:
I'm not sure if such easy access to huge amounts of XP would be satisfying.

Depends on what your goal is. I don't think I could have a shot of filling up the defeated enemy list without having access to a MKS floor grotto and revoking several times. Lvl. 90+ grottos might also be a hard level to reach. If you're content with either tons of hours doing pure grinding to revoke or just not seeing the highest stuff in the game, then MKS-only floors aren't necessary.

In short, if your goal is simply to beat the game, then spending time on MKS-only floors might not be as satisfying. (e.g.
the final boss wasn't too hard after 40+ hours grinding on MKS-only floors :lol
) If you're trying to see most/all the game, then MKS grinding (along with some of the other "pull back the curtain" reverse-engineering of the programming
like Hoimi tables or that Lvl. 86 grotto
) is about the only manageable way to get there.

Depends on what you want to get out of the game, I'd think.

Oxx

At about 190 hours I'm not really sure what I want from the game.

I've earned enough skill points to max-out all the non-weapon skills, so I'm not sure how much I want to grind anymore.

I guess aiming for the higher-level maps is the next focus, but I don't really know if it's easily obtainable (Main character has revocated 2x. I've been mainly getting maps in the 80s; I haven't fought either
Tyrannosaurus Wrecks or Greygnarl
yet).

I do like to see as much as possible, but I have never really been much of a completionist.

Grampasso

donny2112 said:
Depends on what your goal is. I don't think I could have a shot of filling up the defeated enemy list without having access to a MKS floor grotto and revoking several times. Lvl. 90+ grottos might also be a hard level to reach. If you're content with either tons of hours doing pure grinding to revoke or just not seeing the highest stuff in the game, then MKS-only floors aren't necessary.

In short, if your goal is simply to beat the game, then spending time on MKS-only floors might not be as satisfying. (e.g.
the final boss wasn't too hard after 40+ hours grinding on MKS-only floors :lol
) If you're trying to see most/all the game, then MKS grinding (along with some of the other "pull back the curtain" reverse-engineering of the programming
like Hoimi tables or that Lvl. 86 grotto
) is about the only manageable way to get there.

Depends on what you want to get out of the game, I'd think.
Speaking of which, is there any "normal" way to get that map without it being shared? In the mid 55 it's getting a lot boring grinding in grottoes :/

donny2112

Grampasso said:
Speaking of which, is there any "normal" way to get that map without it being shared? In the mid 55 it's getting a lot boring grinding in grottoes :/

Random luck, I'd think. There're thousands (hundreds of thousands?) of possible grottos in the game. I've gotten around 70 myself with no MKS-only floors. (Done quite a few where I start a new floor, first enemy is a MKS, get hopes up ... and next enemy is something else. :( ) The "special" ones I have (
e.g. few different MKS-only floor levels with best being a Lvl. 58 water grotto, that Lvl. 86 with the mapped out S/A-rank chests
) were from a save I downloaded online, put on a second copy of the game, and tagged them back over.

Oxx said:
(Main character has revocated 2x. I've been mainly getting maps in the 80s;

Highest current level in any job
is also part of the calculation, so you may want to
grind some job
for your hero
to Lvl. 99
and just leave it there.
I have a Lvl. 99 Minstrel on my hero that I'm not going to revocate
just for the purpose of getting better maps.

madara

I had to finally shelf this, just couldnt get into the basic class combat and having to open the ones I wanted was too much of grind. I didn't feel any sense of exploration either, tiny mini maps, no surprises, definitely took a hit for multi features. Guess I try go back to this down the road with fresh eyes but I really want my DQ6.

Oxx

donny2112 said:
Highest current level in any job
is also part of the calculation, so you may want to
grind some job
for your hero
to Lvl. 99
and just leave it there.
I have a Lvl. 99 Minstrel on my hero that I'm not going to revocate
just for the purpose of getting better maps.

Hmm.

Well, unfortunately my 2x revocated Armamentalist is my only level 99 at the moment.

Still, the map I'm in right now seems like a decent step-up. I've just run into two new enemies... including my first Gem Slime.

ghibli99

Oxx said:
I can't help but think that an all MKS map would almost break the game.

Sure, the main objective of the post-game is to increase your numbers so that you can defeat enemies with higher numbers and find equipment with better numbers, but for some reason I'm not sure if such easy access to huge amounts of XP would be satisfying.
The game isn't forcing you to do it, and for those who don't have hundreds upon hundreds of hours to dedicate, it's a good way to see a lot of the post-game content.

gotee12 said:
My wife has begun mocking me every time I grab my DS when we head out. Even she knows that I'll return home without having successfully canvassed anyone.

I just bought the game today after realizing I hadn't spent a gift card I received from a friend at Christmas.

I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far, but I did want to touch upon this point. As the kind of guy who had to subsist on "aliens" in TWEWY when looking for visitors to try to evolve certain pins, and someone who likely won't even head out with DS in tow, how important are guests in DQIX? Will I be missing terribly much?

someguyinahat said:
I just bought the game today after realizing I hadn't spent a gift card I received from a friend at Christmas.

I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far, but I did want to touch upon this point. As the kind of guy who had to subsist on "aliens" in TWEWY when looking for visitors to try to evolve certain pins, and someone who likely won't even head out with DS in tow, how important are guests in DQIX? Will I be missing terribly much?
They're not every important, imo. I went through the entire main game without guests, and the inn changes are superficial in nature. Most of the good stuff are covered via DLC anyhow.

gotee12

someguyinahat said:

I agree with Heretic Kazuma in that a lack of guests will not directly impact your game, it's just the nerd in me that loves it when devs put multiplayer functionality like this in games...

mempbisB

How does the DSI XL look for DQ9?

I am currently enjoying it on my DS Lite. The game itself is pretty fun and would like to get a bigger screen DSI XL for the rest of the game.

inner-G

Banned
mempbisB said:
How does the DSI XL look for DQ9?

I am currently enjoying it on my DS Lite. The game itself is pretty fun and would like to get a bigger screen DSI XL for the rest of the game.
I got an XL after i got IX and it looks awesome! definitely recommend.

Giolon

I got this game for my birthday over the weekend. I'm pretty excited to play it (I've never played a DQ game before), but I'm trying to polish off Valkyria Chronicles 2 first.

Johnas

I have a grotto item question maybe somebody will be able to clarify.

I'm working on a grotto called Diamond Snowhall of Dolour Lv. 79. When I use the Grotto Calculator, on the "Monsters & Items" tab, after I enter the relevant information (starting monster rank 8, non-boss floors 15, boss Sir Sanguinis, level 79, and then the ice tab, all of the entire item section below is white (none of it is grayed out).

Is that saying that I have a chance of getting S level treasures in these chests? I've gotten B level items for sure (Pruning Knife, Pentarang) and one time I got an Orichalcum, which according to the calculator has to be either A or S.

As far as revocation, my main has revocated three separate jobs once each, so 1 would be the factor there.

Oxx

I have no idea how to interpret (or manipulate) the item drops in grottoes.

All I know is that I found two bits of Metal Slime armour in one grotto yesterday, and that's encouragement enough for me to aimlessly wander around grottoes for another few weeks now.

Johnas

Oxx said:
I have no idea how to interpret (or manipulate) the item drops in grottoes.

All I know is that I found two bits of Metal Slime armour in one grotto yesterday, and that's encouragement enough for me to aimlessly wander around grottoes for another few weeks now.

Nice. Do yourself a favor and make a note of which map that was, so you can keep farming it for metal items if you want. I got a Metal Slime Spear in a grotto a while back, but I didn't keep track of which grotto I found it in.

zigg

I just thought I'd drop by and mention that last night in multiplayer, I made the rarest grotto boss in the game (yes, that's right,
grotto Greygnarl
) dance. Twice.

Greygnarl is busy boogieing!
I can quit this game a happy man now. :D

But yeah, we took him on 4-5 times and have more Yggdrasil leaves than we know what to do with now. :lol I was talking him up because he kept Magic Burst/refilling on me and Disruptive Waving me to no end when I first beat him on my own, but then our first fight he hardly did shit. :lol

On the second-to-last time our host decided he was going to scour the grotto for chests instead of Vanish-running to the bottom, so we amused ourselves waiting for him by giving each other birthday cakes and kitty litter as well as using Wear-With-All to dress up my male character in the dancer's dress. This game is such a riot in multi.

djtiesto

FINALLY, the final dungeon! Characters are at level 39-40... yay. I think I'm just gonna do the
Tower of Nod
postgame sidequest, and a few of the mini-quests... but doubtful I am gonna play this one much beyond the regular game. Not that I don't like the game (it's better than 99.9% of other games out there, especially lately), but... it's definitely not my favorite in the DQ series.

-don't care for the music much at all, that battle theme is my least favorite yet
-scenario only starts getting good way at the end (and some parts are taken wholesale out of DQ5 and 7 storyline :O )
-waaaay too many bosses (one thing I liked about former DQ games, was that )
-I actually needed to grind a few times in the game! :(
-some of the quests are pretty annoying and the description of what you need to do to succeed with them are poor

Top Bottom