• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

zigg

Loto said:
Multiplayer is so much fun. It's pretty free roaming too! I think the only thing you can't do is call your airship
The host can. If you're standing nearby you'll get called up and can talk to Stella while you're riding :)

The one thing we wish we could do nearly every time is a call to arms initiated by a guest. it would be sooo useful.

ghibli99

Damn, congrats Stolin! That's hardcore... I have yet to go back to it after dumping 250 hours into it last year. I have to admit the post game didn't really get interesting to me until I started using the various tools like the Hoimi table and Kawasaki map... those allowed me to see what all the best gear in the game looked like, which was really cool. Still took forever to grind out and collect all the alchemy ingredients, though.

Not sure if this was mentioned, but do you get anything for 100%'ing it?

Erdrick

I cannot get over how much I have played this game. Some 241 hours in since my purchase over a year ago, and I still come back to it to do some quests once in a while, or party up with a few friends that I know who have bought the game recently. I love it. I'm also pleased that they are still cycling the shop with items, so in the while that I did not play the game, maybe I can find some stuff via the store that I missed then.

I've got all of my namesake's equipment now too, so I'm happy with the look he has. I'm just slowly building my other team with the classic DQIII party look. Congratulations to those of you who have done everything in this game. That *is* quite a feat. I'm basically the DQ nut among anyone else I know, and seeing some of these stats makes me feel less insane for having poured so much time into DQIX.

This thread makes me glad that people are still discovering my favourite game this generation. At least until DQX comes out. It also makes me smile to see the other DQ thread where some people are discovering the originals and other games for the first time.

*Goes back to praying for Nintendo to publish the DQ 25th Anniversary Collection on the Wii in North America.*

ghibli99

That 100% story has been buzzing pretty heavily between me and my other DQ-playing friends. We've all been entertaining the thought of jumping back into it. Last night, for whatever reason, I popped in DQ4 DS. As soon as the music started playing, it's crazy what a rush of nostalgia and joy it brings you! I played for about an hour and loved every minute of it.

So today, I decided to dust off my DQ9 box and popped it into my DS...

20110720_dq9.jpg

...I'm going to hopefully inspire my friends to do the same. Time to go finish all the quests I've had sitting around since before Christmas, and maybe build up a little towards 100%. There's also quite a few pieces of alchemiracle gear I don't have yet.

Again, this is probably the best $35 I've ever spent when it comes to ROI. No other game - even my favorite RPGs - come close.

Loto

Roto13 said:
What does +2 mean? I haven't done much postgame stuff.
How many times you revocated that job. Once you get a job to 99 you can speak with guy at all-trades abbey and reset a job to level 1. You get an accessory the first time you do it.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Roto13 said:
What does +2 mean? I haven't done much postgame stuff.

It's not really a postgame thing, although it's not really something most people do before they finish the primary storyline I suppose. It's the number of times that character has revocated in that class. You can revocate when you reach level 99 in a class, which drops you back down to level 1 of that class, although you retain all the skill points you had gained from the previous growth in that class. Since there are actually 200 more skill points necessary than you can get from just maxing each class once, you need to revocate once to max everything. It also helps get you better grottoes if your hero character has a high revocation in any single class.

goober

Sorry for the noob question, but I haven't touched this game in a while. What does the +2 next to your characters' name mean?

DarthWoo said:
It's not really a postgame thing, although it's not really something most people do before they finish the primary storyline I suppose. It's the number of times that character has revocated in that class. You can revocate when you reach level 99 in a class, which drops you back down to level 1 of that class, although you retain all the skill points you had gained from the previous growth in that class. Since there are actually 200 more skill points necessary than you can get from just maxing each class once, you need to revocate once to max everything. It also helps get you better grottoes if your hero character has a high revocation in any single class.
I have learned so much today. I was wondering how I can get 100% of the accolades when it looked like the skill points were not going to give me all of what I needed for each class. Thanks for the explaination.

stolin

ghibli99 said:
So today, I decided to dust off my DQ9 box and popped it into my DS...

...I'm going to hopefully inspire my friends to do the same. Time to go finish all the quests I've had sitting around since before Christmas, and maybe build up a little towards 100%.

Cool ! I'm glad to see more people coming back to play the game again based on my 100%. I did a few interviews ( GiantBomb & TinyCartridge ) and then received many messages both for congrats and people dissing it.. oh well. I guess some just don't "get it" when it comes to Dragon Quest.

I'll be watching this thread for updates & waiting for the next one to hit 100%. Come on Dragon Questers!

Been reading about the insane length and bought it up for a 14 hour car trip to Florida on Friday. Only played DQ8, so I have no idea what to expect. I do love me some old-fashioned turn based RPGs though.

It is thanks to you Stolin that I have not played my PSP, 360, PS3, and PC in weeks. Your completion post spurred me into finally playing the game for more than 15 minutes at a time, and I love it. I am not through the game yet, just finished
Gleeba
but I am never bored with it. There is one thing that is bothersome for me though and it might be because this is my first DQ game ever and I was spoiled by other jrpgs but the item drop rate is ridiculously rare... Even using half-inch I can go several battles with the same enemies and still not get an item from them or steal from them. Is this a DQ thing or just this game? But outside of that this is probably as close to a perfect jrpg as there can be.

stolin

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
It is thanks to you Stolin that I have not played my PSP, 360, PS3, and PC in weeks. Your completion post spurred me into finally playing the game for more than 15 minutes at a time, and I love it. ....but the item drop rate is ridiculously rare... Even using half-inch I can go several battles with the same enemies and still not get an item from them or steal from them.

Great ! Another DQ player coming back for more. Keep posting your progress here!

For the drop rates they range from 1/8 to 1/256. IMO, they do seem low at first as you are just playing through the story. Once you earn Half-Inch for stealing, especially with multiple team member all trying to steal until you get the item, and gain higher deftness stats it will be better. Deftness is key, class change one of your party to a Thief or Ranger and boost deftness with gloves, Utility Belt, and later with Honor Among Thieves or Medal of Freedom.

Once you really started farming items in the post-game have the entire party use Half-Inch until the item is stolen then kill it, move on to the next enemy.

Just keep playing at your comfortable pace to get through the story and don't get hung up on drop rate for Alchemy yet. In time, it will all fall into place when it clicks.

ghibli99

Looking at my % completion, pretty sure I'm going to throw in the towel (again) before I get anywhere near finishing up my Item and Alchenomicon lists. Just way too much time/effort needed. I'm definitely going to stay focused on quests for now and rare gear. Oh, and I have 4% more to go on monsters. Wow, I'm having flashbacks to last year with this post. Pretty sure if I go back in time a little bit, I'll find posts strikingly similar to this one. :)

stolin

Almost every entry in the Defeated Monsters List in your Battle Records has 2 drop entries. The standard & rare drops. Standard are usually 1/8 to 1/32 and rare one 1/64 to 1/256. There are some exceptions for bosses.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
So for those who have reached a stage they consider as finished....just how many Metal King Slimes did you kill by the end?

stolin

Here are my stats for significant slimes defeated.

Metal Slimes: 935
Metal Medley: 101
Liquid Metal Slime: 437
Metal King Slime: 664
Platinum King Jewel: 232
Gem Slime: 697

Oxx

stolin said:
Here are my stats for significant slimes defeated.

Metal Slimes: 935
Metal Medley: 101
Liquid Metal Slime: 437
Metal King Slime: 664
Platinum King Jewel: 232
Gem Slime: 697

Metal Slimes: 35
Metal Medley: 106
Liquid Metal Slime: 343
Metal King Slime: 832
Platinum King Jewel: 78
Gem Slime: 497

That Metal Slime number is even more mind-blowing than the 700 hours it took you to get 100%. I got bored after 35!

stolin

A lot of those were from early on in the post game right after access to Slime Hill. I did a lot of leveling & revocation work before finding significant grottoes.

Then again after a revocation round I'd get the party back up to a competent level there on Metal Slimes again.

I now know I could have been more efficient.. but it was all part of the learning process.

I do have another DQIX cartridge that I used for tagging. I've been thinking about starting another more streamlined run through the game again. Being able to tag maps with my main cartridge I'm pretty sure I could shave off hundred of hours... hmmm...

ghibli99

DarthWoo said:
So for those who have reached a stage they consider as finished....just how many Metal King Slimes did you kill by the end?
The game counts max out at 999, which is what mine says. I'd guesstimate I'm around 1200-1300, though.

Metal Slime: 231
Metal Medley: 165
LMS: 172
MKS: 999
Gem Slime: 252
PKJ: 2

Guess you could say I spent most of my time in water grottoes. :)

So sitting at 52:29 Just finished
Swinedimples
and my completion is:

Battle victories: 996
Alchemy perfomred: 44
Accolades Earnt: 25
Quests completed: 31
Grottoes: 1
Guests: 0 (I only know one other person that has the game locally and we can never canvas)

Defeated Monsters: 50%
Wardrobe: 19%
Items: 39%
Alchenomicon: 9%

I can't put this game down. I am just happy to know that there is a decent post game that I can keep playing - I will 100% this beast someday!

dock

80+ hours in, not yet completed, I only have one treasure map. :( I should probably look into that. I haven't the first idea of where to get them from.

dock said:
80+ hours in, not yet completed, I only have one treasure map. :( I should probably look into that. I haven't the first idea of where to get them from.
I got the second map from the first grotto, I was very underleveled for the boss but I was able to pull it off as my priest was able to do her coup de grace every turn.

dock said:

You can get treasure maps in several ways; defeating the boss of a normal treasure map will always give you another one, you can get some from quests, and you can receive them from other players via local connection.

So assuming your map is not a legacy boss map, you should have access to a theoretically infinite number of maps from now on - if you can beat the bosses, that is.

dock

I just tried my second map, which is labelled as level 9. I died horribly several times! XD;

Thanks for the tips, I'll try to get some more maps, although I'm tempted to push forward to the end of the game.

watershed

Banned
dock said:
I just tried my second map, which is labelled as level 9. I died horribly several times! XD;

Thanks for the tips, I'll try to get some more maps, although I'm tempted to push forward to the end of the game.
I'm in pretty much the exact same spot as you. Right now I'm just doing maps before heading to the final dungeon, hoping to level up some first.

Almyn

I tried a solo run but got frustrated around Bloomingdale. There is a guy on youtube who completed a solo game in under 8 hrs but I just don't see how. He must either have incredible luck, Or reset the game hundreds of times if things didn't go the right way.
I could probably have persevered with the solo run, But grinding on metal slimes solo is a nightmare. Even now with 4 characters I just have terrible luck with metal medleys.

I am addicted all over again though. Just a pity my main character is now 20 levels ahead of the other three :)

Hobbun

Just started this up again last night as the last time I played I did not get all that far into the game.

This time will be a little more fun as I will be playing multi-player with a friend of mine (local connection, not Wi-Fi).

I’ve pretty much accepted that I’ll never have access to the downloadable quests as DQ IX uses a WEP connection, and mine is WPA. And I do not want to switch my security over to WEP.

Just surprised such a recent game (released a couple years ago in Japan?) uses such an old Wi-Fi security connection. I understand some of the older DS systems using WEP, but why would such a recent game do so?

Oh well, the game’s quests will be enough for me.

darksnowman

Neo Member
Congrats on filling everything up 100%, stolin! Great effort.

I've not touched DQ IX since around Easter time. I didn't think I would be able to go cold turkey for this long but the feeling of freedom has been pretty nice. As with all DQ games (that I've played) the grinding feels good, but in IX the finish line is so distant - and I didn't even clock up 200h - that its soul destroying. Every game I've looked at since has been bitesize in comparison! I loved reading this thread as I played, it gave some good inspiration.

Hobbun said:
Just started this up again last night as the last time I played I did not get all that far into the game.

This time will be a little more fun as I will be playing multi-player with a friend of mine (local connection, not Wi-Fi).

I’ve pretty much accepted that I’ll never have access to the downloadable quests as DQ IX uses a WEP connection, and mine is WPA. And I do not want to switch my security over to WEP.

Just surprised such a recent game (released a couple years ago in Japan?) uses such an old Wi-Fi security connection. I understand some of the older DS systems using WEP, but why would such a recent game do so?

Oh well, the game’s quests will be enough for me.

What I do is turn off the security on my router for just a minute, let the game connect and download, and then turn the security back on. The whole process takes about three minutes, and all you need to do is connect once to the DQVC and every one of the quests in the game will be unlocked (though not necessarily available, as there are prerequisites for most quests).

If you don't want to do that (even though it is very simple), you could probably just find an unsecured Wi-Fi connection around town. All the game does is spend a few seconds connecting and downloading, and then it promptly disconnects. You don't need to have a constant connection.

Hobbun

If it only takes a few minutes and actually unlocks ‘all’ the quests that have been released, then I could deal with that.

Now, if I don’t have the prerequisites for ‘x’ quests, they are already still downloaded, correct? I don’t need to wait until I have the prereqs for a quest to download it?

Hobbun said:
If it only takes a few minutes and actually unlocks ‘all’ the quests that have been released, then I could deal with that.

Now, if I don’t have the prerequisites for ‘x’ quests, they are already still downloaded, correct? I don’t need to wait until I have the prereqs for a quest to download it?

That's correct. As of last week, you will only need to connect one time and every quest in the game will be available, providing you do the in-game requirements to unlock them.

If all you're interested in is the quests - and the special visitors to to Stornway Inn - simply connecting to DQVC once is all it takes. If you want to have access to some items that can't be obtained any other way, then you'll need to connect every single day to access different items at the store. But none of those items are necessary for completing the game. They're mostly cosmetic.

Hobbun

SecretMoblin said:
That's correct. As of last week, you will only need to connect one time and every quest in the game will be available, providing you do the in-game requirements to unlock them.

If all you're interested in is the quests - and the special visitors to to Stornway Inn - simply connecting to DQVC once is all it takes. If you want to have access to some items that can't be obtained any other way, then you'll need to connect every single day to access different items at the store. But none of those items are necessary for completing the game. They're mostly cosmetic.

Special Visitors? What is that exactly?

And that’s all I really would want, is the quests. I don’t need the added items. Really, I am already getting what I want first and foremost through local multi-player, and that’s playing with a friend of mine.

The downloadable quests truly aren’t at the top, but would be nice if I could get them without too much issue.

Hobbun said:
Special Visitors? What is that exactly?

And that’s all I really would want, is the quests. I don’t need the added items. Really, I am already getting what I want first and foremost through local multi-player, and that’s playing with a friend of mine.

The downloadable quests truly aren’t at the top, but would be nice if I could get them without too much issue.

I don't think I'm spoiling very much (certainly nothing related to the story), but I'll put it in spoiler tags anyway:
At Stornway Inn, there is an elevator in the back that will take you up to "executive suites", where characters from previous Dragon Quest games reside and give you various presents. Similar to the quests, a new visitor 'arrived' every once in a while. So after you connect, they should all be available to visit. Talk to the butler in the back and he'll give you a list of all the characters.

But, like the quests, once you connect one time everything should be unlocked.

tomi123

About 20hrs in and I was just wondering if there is anything missable in this game or can I do all the quests etc post game?

Loto

tomi123 said:
About 20hrs in and I was just wondering if there is anything missable in this game or can I do all the quests etc post game?
Aside from certain items being sold on DQVC, nothing is miss-able. You can wait until post game to do quests.

EDIT: though I wouldn't put off all quests until endgame. You get good stuff from doing the job related ones

watershed

Banned
I tried to beat the game last night but got murdered by the final boss twice. I've got everyone at level 42 and I've read others beat the game at that level. I'm a bit frustrated at the moment so I think I'm gonna set the game aside for a bit. I don't really feel up for grinding to level up more at the moment.

Loto

artwalknoon said:
I tried to beat the game last night but got murdered by the final boss twice. I've got everyone at level 42 and I've read others beat the game at that level. I'm a bit frustrated at the moment so I think I'm gonna set the game aside for a bit. I don't really feel up for grinding to level up more at the moment.
What vocations are you using?

Hobbun

I’m about 15 hours in now and just finished collecting all of the
treasures in the Leviathan cave (near the All Trades Abbey), but I had evac’d out because I was running low on magic. Will go back and finish Leviathan tonight.

I really do want to revocate several times (so I can get the best maps) but not looking forward to the all the xp needed to do so. I am only level 18 with my hero and it’s already getting slow in leveling, even for new areas. And metal slimes are hard to come by. However, still find the game very addicting and and enjoying it.

ghibli99

artwalknoon said:
I can't remember what level I was, but I did grind out considerable numbers of LMSs (I probably spent half my time working on vocations) before doing the end game stuff. There is an element of luck involved, though, like with most DQ bosses... you can get really fortunate if they don't unleash some of their more deadly actions, giving you time to get in buffs and such, but sometimes they'll hit you hard and you're hosed. I didn't die at the end, but my friend got obliterated twice, and then on the third try, pretty much breezed through!

Loto

Hobbun said:
I’m about 15 hours in now and just finished collecting all of the
treasures in the Leviathan cave (near the All Trades Abbey), but I had evac’d out because I was running low on magic. Will go back and finish Leviathan tonight.

I really do want to revocate several times (so I can get the best maps) but not looking forward to the all the xp needed to do so. I am only level 18 with my hero and it’s already getting slow in leveling, even for new areas. And metal slimes are hard to come by. However, still find the game very addicting and and enjoying it.
Some dungeons have specific mob spawn points and you can find a safe place (or invis) until a metal spawns. I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread. The blowhole is the dungeon that comes to mind. You can force spawn Liquid Metal Slimes.

Hobbun

Loto said:
Some dungeons have specific mob spawn points and you can find a safe place (or invis) until a metal spawns. I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread. The blowhole is the dungeon that comes to mind. You can force spawn Liquid Metal Slimes.

I will have to keep that dungeon in mind. Is the 'blowhole' dungeon one of the grotto maps? And if it is, does it have the dungeon name on the map so I know it's the blowhole dungeon?

watershed

Banned
Loto said:
What vocations are you using?
I was a minstrel, a mage, a priest, and a martial artist. I changed the minstrel to a warrior now at level 22. I'm using the bowhole metal slime trick to level up.

artwalknoon said:
I was a minstrel, a mage, a priest, and a martial artist. I changed the minstrel to a warrior now at level 22. I'm using the bowhole metal slime trick to level up.

If I recall correctly, I was in my early 40s when I took on the final boss. The final bosses in most Dragon Quest games are quite difficult, especially compared to earlier bosses which track pretty closely to your current levels. I died the first two times I faced it.

So don't feel ashamed for grinding. It is Dragon Quest, after all. You should also stock up on healing/restorative items and spread them around between the characters, and try alchemizing good weapons and armor at Stornway Inn if you're just using items that you've purchased at the in-game shops.

And you made the right decision to ditch the Minstrel. It's only useful insofar as you can use its skill points.

Hobbun

Is there a skill in the game that helps you be more successful in farming alchemy items on the map?

And I mean more successful as in maybe giving more of them, and more consistently? It seems to be really hit or miss on some items.

Hobbun said:
Is there a skill in the game that helps you be more successful in farming alchemy items on the map?

And I mean more successful as in maybe giving more of them, and more consistently? It seems to be really hit or miss on some items.

I think the general method used to get drops (without resorting to certain methods that game the system) is to make sure everyone in your party has the Thief skill "Half-inch" (one of very many fantastic bits of localization), which should one of the earliest skills you can learn. Then, if you're looking for a specific drop from a specific monster, just enter a battle with it and have everyone spam the move.

Fake edit: Oh, now that I'm rereading your comment, are you referring to the drops that appear on the world map? Thankfully, those are much less of a pain to deal with than monster drops. Use one of the many maps that show the locations of materials (this is a good one but all the text makes it a bit messy, this one is cleaner). The materials appear on the map after a random amount of time after you boot the game, and reappear after another random amount of time has passed. So if you load up your save file, it's possible that there could be shiny spots on the ground the moment you arrive at the spawning location. It's also possible, though not very likely, that it will take several hours for items to spawn. The amount of time it takes for items to appear changes; if you found items 30 minutes after you started the game, it doesn't mean it will always take 30 minutes for the items there to appear again.

Sorry for the rambling, but the general rule of thumb is that if you're waiting for a specific item spot to spawn, just play the game for a while and return. I usually explore grottoes while I'm waiting for items.

Top Bottom