• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Oxx

Wow, crazy numbers. We have almost the same number of battle victories, but you have me beat on everything else.

stolin

Oxx said:
Wow, crazy numbers. We have almost the same number of battle victories, but you have me beat on everything else.

Post up your stats like I did. I'm curious to see how many people are getting close to finishing up and how our game stats differ. Thanks.

Oxx

Time Spent Playing: 528:49
Time Spent In Multiplayer: 00:00

Battle Victories: 12084
Alchemy: 1421
Accolades: 278
Quests Completed: 172
Grottoes Completed: 619
Guests Canvassed: 0

Defeated Monster List: 99%
Wardrobe Completion: 93%
Item List Completion: 97%
Alchenomicon Completion: 93%

I've only revocated my main dude up to +4

stolin

You are getting close.. I remember when I was around that mark.. Going for 100% ?

Wardrobe Completion: 93%
Alchenomicon Completion: 93%

To build the Wardrobe & Alchenomicon will take those extra 200 hours I have on you.. getting your levels & revocation up gets really easy with a good water map with MKS.

Oxx

Yeah, time is my main enemy at the moment.

I can envisage how long it will take me to grind the Gem Slimes... to get the money... to alchemise the Agates... to collect the rare armour bits I still need with Hoimi... to grind the bosses for Orbs...

It's probably too much effort for me. I've barely even cracked the rare weapon list.

stolin

Well the first thing I did around 500 hours was make a spreadsheet for all the rest of the Alchenomicon recipes. Then I had a complete plan and can see everything I was going to need. It's pretty insane, but once I started checking off item by item I was hooked again...

FYI, here's the totals for the items required for the 5***** legendary items.

Agate x158, Red Orb x28, Blue Orb x28, Yellow Orb x28, Green Orb x25, Purple Orb x28, Silver Orb x21

So just for the Agate's:
Sainted soma x 316 + Ethereal stone x 316 + Chronocrystal x 158 (7,900,000 Gold)

watershed

Banned
Man I wanted to love this game so bad but ended up having mixed feelings about it and eventually sold it back with other stuff for my 3ds on the cheap.

I really enjoyed the rpg mechanics, I loved the character customization, the different classes and how you can switch between them. I loved all the loot, all the sidequests, the size of the world, and I liked how you could design your own characters. I also really liked the old school charm of the game for the first 10 or so hours. I ended up putting in 20 or so hours.

But, I hated that my side characters didn't have any stories or dialogue. The main story became very predictable and felt drawn out. The old school feel grew to feel too old, like some things just felt slow and a little archaic in design.

Still I really enjoyed some parts of the game and really liked the feel of being on an adventure. I thought the game did a great job in creating that fun feel. So with all that said are there any other games on the ds that are like this? Mostly I mean in level of customization, something that is as complete or large an rpg as DQ 9, with a similar charm? I'd love to sink my teeth into another great rpg for the system.

Note: I've already played all the FF remakes and I'm not that interested in the DQ remakes/re-releases for the ds.

jaxword

artwalknoon said:
But, I hated that my side characters didn't have any stories or dialogue. The main story became very predictable and felt drawn out. The old school feel grew to feel too old, like some things just felt slow and a little archaic in design.

Given that your 3 party members have ZERO impact on the plot, it's almost like a Dragon Quest 1 throwback. Just you vs the world, doing good deeds.

It's actually a plothole that the other 3 characters exist, as angels can't attack their superiors...so what's stopping your buddies?

Oxx

The complete lack of personality is a bit of a shame.

Surely the customisation and characterisation aren't mutually exclusive?

Aeana

jaxword said:
Given that your 3 party members have ZERO impact on the plot, it's almost like a Dragon Quest 1 throwback. Just you vs the world, doing good deeds.

It's actually a plothole that the other 3 characters exist, as angels can't attack their superiors...so what's stopping your buddies?
It's a DQ3 throwback.

And you can blame all of this on the game being multiplayer.

jaxword

Aeana said:
It's a DQ3 throwback.

And you can blame all of this on the game being multiplayer.

That's true that it's DQ3's party system. Is it possible to solo DQ3, though?

For the story to make sense in DQ9, it seems the hero DID solo it. Though I've heard a fan explanation that the other party members are also fallen angels from their OWN worlds, though that doesn't really seem to be supported by anything in story.

Slime

Banned
Considering DQIII is the only RPG I've ever soloed, yes, definitely. But it's time consuming and the final battle is a pain in the ass.

That said, I miss having that much free time. Le sigh.

Aeana

I've beaten both 3 and 9 with solo heroes. As for that theory, that's what I assumed. Party members enter through that glowy door - they're just replacing the real multiplayer partners you could have.

jaxword

Aeana said:
I've beaten both 3 and 9 with solo heroes. As for that theory, that's what I assumed. Party members enter through that glowy door - they're just replacing the real multiplayer partners you could have.

I'm ok with that theory, but I can't see any support for it in-dialogue, which bothers me they'd overlook something pretty major to the plot. The Glowy-door isn't really enough evidence, flashy graphics never really are consistent sources for info in rpgs, after all. If they were, the world would've been destroyed 5 times over in every jrpg battle.

watershed

Banned
Question, now that DQIX has set sales records for the series and DQ X is gonna be on the wii can we expect DQ to stay with Nintendo for XI as well? I would love to see XI land on the 3ds, preferably sooner rather than later.

Aeana

artwalknoon said:
Question, now that DQIX has set sales records for the series and DQ X is gonna be on the wii can we expect DQ to stay with Nintendo for XI as well? I would love to see XI land on the 3ds, preferably sooner rather than later.
Where 11 ends up depends on what platform is the most successful next generation.

Oxx

I'm now back up to date with the quests. Good times.

I might just go through what items/weapons etc I still require. That's bound to be depressing.

Oxx

Hmm... I'm almost there on rare armour completion, but there are just so many rare weapons I need to obtain to fill up the Alchemomicon (at least 32).

I haven't really put much effort into the weapons. Are they blue chest items? The only rare weapons I have are from DQVC.

watershed

Banned
Okay I have another question, for the wifi connection for the shopping network thing, if my home wifi network doesn't work with the ds lite or ds phat settings but does for the dsi and 3ds will I be able to access the online shop from home?

donny2112

artwalknoon said:
if my home wifi network doesn't work with the ds lite or ds phat settings but does for the dsi and 3ds will I be able to access the online shop from home?

No. Game determines WiFi type, so you'd still have to be using WEP to connect online with DQIX from a DSi/3DS.

watershed

Banned
donny2112 said:
No. Game determines WiFi type, so you'd still have to be using WEP to connect online with DQIX from a DSi/3DS.
Thanks for the info. Dang that sucks, oh well I guess I'll just have to wait for some great 3ds rpgs then. I was thinking about buying this game and playing it on my 3ds but if I can't do multi-player, shopping, or dlc stuff then forget it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
stolin said:
Time for another Quest Log update since we are getting down to the wire.. only a few more weeks left. I've only been playing about an hour every Friday to get the latest quest & items.

Current Battle Records:
Time Spent Playing: 763:52
Time Spent In Multiplayer: 00:01

Battle Victories: 12080
Alchemy: 2368
Accolades: 363
Quests Completed: 178
Grottoes Completed: 629
Guests Canvassed: 30

Defeated Monster List: 99%
Wardrobe Completion: 99%
Item List Completion: 99%
Alchenomicon Completion: 100%

All classes level 99, all classes revocated x1, Gladiator revocation x10.

It's been an awesome journey. I will be sad but proud when I reach 100% for everything.

Mother of god.

donny2112

artwalknoon said:
I was thinking about buying this game and playing it on my 3ds but if I can't do multi-player, shopping, or dlc stuff then forget it.

That's why Nintendo put out the WiFi adapter to allow an access point for DS on higher security systems. There's third-party ones that work, too, but I'm not familiar with the details.

Multi-player is local only, so that's not affected. DLC stuff just needs a connection once to unlock it all (released to that point), so that's not a big deal either (change the security temporarily or use a public access point one time). You'd basically just be missing out on the daily shopping choices. That's still signficant, but that would only ever really be a big issue if you were shooting to 100% lists, which personally I don't plan to devote the time to, and I have like 200 or 300 hours in the game. :lol

Tron 2.0

artwalknoon said:
Thanks for the info. Dang that sucks, oh well I guess I'll just have to wait for some great 3ds rpgs then. I was thinking about buying this game and playing it on my 3ds but if I can't do multi-player, shopping, or dlc stuff then forget it.
I didn't have access to any of that stuff for the same reason, but for me the game was still worth playing.

Just fired this up again. I barely played an hour, but now I'm gonna end up going at it for a while. Any basic tips to make a godly team?

Brandon F

Any impressions of this playing on a 3DS? One thing I hate about the DSi is navigating around with the d-pad. My hand really cramps up using it to maneuver around. I figure the circle pad is a much more comfortable solution, but fear the muddied visuals.

Brandon F said:
Any impressions of this playing on a 3DS? One thing I hate about the DSi is navigating around with the d-pad. My hand really cramps up using it to maneuver around. I figure the circle pad is a much more comfortable solution, but fear the muddied visuals.
The visuals are grainy, the game only registers 8 directions so the circle pad feels off, and I can't get the game to connect to wifi while using the 3DS. That last one is probably just me being dumb, but... Anyway, DQ9 on the 3DS isn't bad, but it's not great.

Aeana

Brandon F said:
It's good in 1:1 mode. Ugly in regular mode.

Brandon F

Yea, guess I'll continue to hold off on buying the 3DS then.

I did snag DQ6 finally today though and am just a couple hours in. Really want that circle pad though, just can't stand the DSi XL d-pad.

Cheerilee

RoninChaos said:
Just fired this up again. I barely played an hour, but now I'm gonna end up going at it for a while. Any basic tips to make a godly team?
When you earn ability points, don't spend them in a spread across multiple weapon types. Pick one "signature weapon" per-character (it doesn't matter much which weapon you choose) and concentrate a full 100 points into that one, 100 points into shields (if available), and the fifth option to spend points on is a job-specific ability and stat boost tree. You can dump as many points as you like into the job-specific fifth categories.

Any points you put into a weapon (or shield) skill are only useful while you have one of that type of weapon equipped, so it makes sense to focus on one weapon style. The job-specific abilities and stat boosts, once earned, carry over into any other class, so they're never a bad investment.

Also, after you become able to change jobs, you can grind to earn ability points in any job, and then change to any other job to spend them. You don't necessarily need to spend them in whatever job you're currently in when you earn them.

You will eventually be able to earn enough points for every job-specific tree and almost all weapons.

Those are tips for the early game. To become godly in the later game, you have to mega-grind for legendary items.

Also, pick/create characters that look good, because you will be stuck with them for a long time, even if you don't get hooked on the extensive life-sucking post-game content.

Oxx

Little Green Yoda said:
Haven't been playing much DQ9 lately. Hopped on today to get some of the bridal stuff and ended up spending half of my savings. Time to grind those Gem Slimes...

Grrr... I can't be bothered to run around a grotto looking for Gem Slimes.

That wedding dress is asking a lot. 90k!

Oxx

Arse. For some reason I thought that the monster in this week's quest was the final one to encounter.

Oh well, one more to go!

Grabbing this alongside my 3DS today after work, just curious if the online community is still strong for this? I plan to do lot's of SP but the MP looks amazingly fun.

Erdrick

I cannot, for the life of me, find a bloody high-level water map. I'm looking for Bling Badgers in regards to that one quest, most of you know what I mean. It's been... since like... September.

220 hours in and still yet to see one. I finished the game around 85 hours or so lol. I'm just stumped on this one. I've been going and doing grottoes but I've done over a hundred at this point.

Still the best game of 2010 though. And in some ways, my favourite DQ ever as well. I just love how vast the game is, and how charming the characters are in each area.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
I was thinking of coming back to this after DWVII and finishing up the post game content but I think I'll just start fresh. My main character's goofy smile and eyes were funny at first but I kind of grew to despise him after about fifty hours.

That and I skipped past soooo many classes and sidequests to get to the end. Never really took the time to lay back and enjoy the game world.

So, quick question. I'm still trying to play this, a friend beat it, and he has three maps. No one else that I know has this game. I don't go to PAX or E3. The only place I'm going this year where there will be a lot of gamers is Evo, and I don't think many folks are gonna be carrying their DS' around. Am I fucked when it comes to getting any other maps?

aett

You might not get any maps even at a nerd convention anymore. I brought my 3DS and my DS Lite (with Dragon Quest IX on tag mode) to Fanime a few weeks ago, and while I got dozens and dozens of 3DS StreetPass hits, I didn't get a single DQIX tag. On the other hand, it's not specifically a gaming convention, so that might still work.

Oxx

RoninChaos said:
So, quick question. I'm still trying to play this, a friend beat it, and he has three maps. No one else that I know has this game. I don't go to PAX or E3. The only place I'm going this year where there will be a lot of gamers is Evo, and I don't think many folks are gonna be carrying their DS' around. Am I fucked when it comes to getting any other maps?

You get a new map every time you beat a map (well, most of the time), so you'll just have to put in a bit of time if you want to get decent maps.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
well Im done getting that fyg in Gleeba so where do I go now? Is there someone I have to talk to to get there or what? or in what direction from Gleeba can i go to for the next fygg?

Stopped playing this a while ago so I picked it up on a whim again this morning. 7 or 8-ish hours later and here I am...problem is playing it so much in one day made me want to avoid any non-essential fights, so now I'm super close to the end but am completely stuck. No way am I going to get past these bits without leveling up some.

donny2112

charlemagne said:
No way am I going to get past these bits without leveling up some.

Suggestion:
1. Change 1 member of your team's vocation to set them back to level 1.
2. Go around fighting enemies you can kill with the other three, until the level 1 guy is level 20 or so.
3. Rinse and repeat.

That builds up your skill points pretty quickly, and then you can use those for the general stat bonuses in different vocations or a single weapon's skill line. It's a good way to avoid grinding everyone and still be able to bulk up the team.

Top Bottom