• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Aeana

Eteric Rice said:
Ah, well I'll just keep my Mage then. Need something to do massive damage to more than 1 target.
Well, sage can do that fine with boom/bang/etc. It's just that it doesn't have a very strong single target spell like kafrizzle, which I really missed.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Just unlocked
s a g e !
!! Woo!
And maxed it out instantly. Godbless saving Skill points. :D

Forkball said:
And can anyone give me a tip on the
cat quest? It just meowed at me, what the hell am I supposed to do?
Is the Ranger class supposed to be able to understand animals? That's what I seemed to understand from the Ranger quest guy, but I've got a level 22 Ranger now and still don't understand them. I figured he would help me figure out that quest properly.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Catarrhina...
:(

Game is totally fucking incredible though.
An extraordinary melding of DQ3 and DQ8 mechanics with plenty of it's own innovations. Not to mention a buttload of content that's all it's own. You'd probably be hardpressed to find another DQ or JRPG that offers more bang for it's buck.

Hobbun

Has anyone else had any technical issues with their game? Barring the framerate drop.

For the first time last night when firing it up, I received a white screen in one of the beginning company credit screens, and the white screen just remained. So I had to turn off my DSi XL and restart. Then on that startup, I got all the way to the DQ IX home screen, loaded my game and then where you get the loading with the three slimes appearing, only two showed up and it didn’t continue from there. So again, had to restart. It finally started up fine after the third time and had no issues playing the actual game.

Not sure what caused it, if it was the game itself or my DSi XL. Has anyone else experienced this?

kiryogi

Banned
Mejilan said:
Catarrhina...
:(

Game is totally fucking incredible though.
An extraordinary melding of DQ3 and DQ8 mechanics with plenty of it's own innovations. Not to mention a buttload of content that's all it's own. You'd probably be hardpressed to find another DQ or JRPG that offers more bang for it's buck.

Xenoblade on other JRPGS :D

That said, I just went thru that event myself. That was a bit of a shocker. But life goes on.

jaxword

Hobbun said:
Has anyone else had any technical issues with their game? Barring the framerate drop.

For the first time last night when firing it up, I received a white screen in one of the beginning company credit screens, and the white screen just remained. So I had to turn off my DSi XL and restart. Then on that startup, I got all the way to the DQ IX home screen, loaded my game and then where you get the loading with the three slimes appearing, only two showed up and it didn’t continue from there. So again, had to restart. It finally started up fine after the third time and had no issues playing the actual game.

Not sure what caused it, if it was the game itself or my DSi XL. Has anyone else experienced this?

I had it go black on me upon the opening screen, but only once. Otherwise, the only issue has been the framerate/graphical lag that happens in towns.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I never had the game crash on me, thankfully. And I've already neutered the slow text and laggy framerate issues!
I did have metal slimes show up randomly on my load screens instead of blue ones, though. Granted, that's not a technical issue!

I want Xenoblade. It better come here!

ccbfan

OMG why did nobody mention this game when I had my "Looking for a RPG with good class skill customization system" topic.

Bought it this weekend after reading this topic and its mad addicting.

Just got to the job change place. Won't let me job change until i find this guy.

Great game so far. It feels like one of those old school snes rpgs and the story is kinda suikodenish so far. Like that they start off give you 4 branches per class and have tons of equip options (one of the things that is sorely lacking in recent jrpgs).

Hobbun

Mejilan said:
I never had the game crash on me, thankfully.

That's the thing, I don't know if it's the game crashing or my system, as both instances I've had happen before actually playing the game. The first one on one of the startup, credit screens and the other during the 'slime loading' screen.

Well, maybe the second one could be considered an in-game crash as you are in the process of actually loading up your save file. *shrug*

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Oh man! I was grinding off LMS, and I closed my DS to get off the bus, and next thing I notice, my game cart popped out, that's 20min of grinding down the drain!!!!

Beat the game last night, 47 hours. Very well done overall. Not the storytelling scope of VIII, but very well done.

Got my Fygg and Whistle and I'm now grinding LMS to max Sage. Need to beef up my party a bit before trying Baramos again. He kicked my ass about 6 turns in around Lvl 35-40

Also, Forbearance is a very bad idea with a high powered Kacrack. Overkill x3

Cuu

Oh man. Pun-overload is right.

They finally really got me with the
troops in Gleeba. Mehdik and Ruki? :lol

40hours in and loving it!

so i finally switched from warri to gladiator and got to lvl 20 before i realized "hey there'S gotta be a gladi quest too" so i zoomed to the priest and he told me to get to
a guy named Maximus in Hermany
. Problem is I never heard of this place. Could someone help me out? :)

Is there any FAQ about Ultimate Key/Magic Key locations? I really should have made a note everytime I stumbled across a locked door :lol

wrowa

Okay, at the beginning the game told me that I don't have to allocate skill points immediately after I've got a level-up, it's supposed to be also possible via the misc. menu.

Well, that doesn't work for me. If I don't use every skill point immediately after leveling up, I lose them. If I enter the misc menu, it only tells me that the character has 0 skill points left, even if I didn't used his skill points.

Is this normal? Is it a glitch? Does this happen to anyone else?

botticus

Switched over my Warrior to Paladin to start grinding him up, but I'm having second thoughts about using up his early skill points to go back and max out swords first. Might instead swap to something like Ranger/Armamentalist/whatever to build up points from a class I don't plan to learn skills from.

Metal slimes are being far more of a pain with respect to running away this time around.

Is there a good place to find Ressurock? I found a farming spot that lets you get... one. And I need 3 or 4 more for alchemy.

wrowa said:
Okay, at the beginning the game told me that I don't have to allocate skill points immediately after I've got a level-up, it's supposed to be also possible via the misc. menu.

Well, that doesn't work for me. If I don't use every skill point immediately after leveling up, I lose them. If I enter the misc menu, it only tells me that the character has 0 skill points left, even if I didn't used his skill points.

I've not tried to do it through the Misc menu, but are the points zeroed out on your next level up (minus whatever points you earned on that next level)?

wrowa said:

This is not happening to me. Are you sure you're not using them? This sounds like a stupid question.

When I level up and get skill points, I go straight down to confirm, press the button, and say yes. I can then allocate through the misc menu. Or during the next level up when new skill points are added to the old total.

If you press a button without going to confirm, the button press will start assigning points.

berserk_ftw said:
40hours in and loving it!

so i finally switched from warri to gladiator and got to lvl 20 before i realized "hey there'S gotta be a gladi quest too" so i zoomed to the priest and he told me to get to
a guy named Maximus in Hermany
. Problem is I never heard of this place. Could someone help me out? :)

If you consult the material spawn map, it's the
small island with the thunderball on the far right side
. If you're still having trouble seeing it, look down the list to find
Chimera Wing and Cowpat. The island is directly left of those.

wrowa said:

I had a time or two where I thought it might have lost my skill points, but I'm not sure. Every time I've paid close attention to the number I had before, the skill points have been there when I look.You don't always get points when you level.

wrowa

ScrabbleDude said:
This is not happening to me. Are you sure you're not using them? This sounds like a stupid question.
Yeah, very sure. At first I wasn't sure whether or not I really haven't used them, so I tried it again after I've gotten again new skill points -- after not using them immediately, I definitely lost them this time.

Is anyone else playing the European version already? Since it isn't released yet, the chances that someone else with the European reads this is probably rather slim, but I really want to have confirmed that it is only a glitch that occurs in my version and it's not a Europe exclusive "feature"...

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Finally beat it!
Level 41 Paladin, 38 Battlemaster, 38 Ranger, 33 Sage.

What a nice ending! I'd love to explore more, but I've got other games to beat! Such a wonderful DQ, despite some issues that they'll hopefully fix in 10. (On screen enemies being the big one.)

Very happy with the game. Wish I had time for the extra content.

Hobbun

You don’t ‘lose’ skill points. You have the choice to save and allocate them later if you wish.

Remember, you don’t get skill points for every level.

Neil

GAME despatched my copy just now, so it could even arrive by tomorrow :D

So excited to play this game, I'm loving reading everyones impressions.

epmode

RevenantKioku said:
despite some issues that they'll hopefully fix in 10. (On screen enemies being the big one.)
I feel that I'm going to regret this but: What's the problem with the onscreen enemies? It's a pretty massive improvement as far as I can tell.

Almyn

Neil said:
GAME despatched my copy just now, so it could even arrive by tomorrow :D

So excited to play this game, I'm loving reading everyones impressions.

Just checked and mine is being picked and packed. Game has a habit of charging your card early and not dispatching until later in the week though :(

epmode said:
I feel that I'm going to regret this but: What's the problem with the onscreen enemies? It's a pretty massive improvement as far as I can tell.
They are waaaaay too big for the areas they're in, in most dungeons they just sit in the middle of a path. Impossible to avoid in areas like that. They're also about twice as fast as you are, so if they see you, you're going to encounter them.

In addition, they respawn in about 3 seconds after being out of combat and while you have the menu open. Meaning that if you get into a bind and need to heal after a battle, chances are you will probably be fighting the same spawn again.

It could be handled well, but it isn't here. I found random encounters to be far less irritating and less likely in dungeons.

The positive is metal hunting is a bit easier now.

Vinci

Danish
Perhaps a silly question, but...
At what point do I gain the ability to change classes with my characters? I mean, I'm not desperate to do so, but it might mix things up a bit.

RevenantKioku

epmode said:
It's a different mood. I refuse to say that on screen enemies is "better" than random battles. Different and appropriate in its own way, but not a perfect alternative. It makes survival and resource management much less enjoyable or even necessary. It just changes how the game works, and I don't think it works for DQ.

But I didn't come back to talk about that!
I just wanted to say I beat the game in a year and NINE days. That's awesome!

Hobbun

wrowa said:
But I do and no, I can't allocate them later. It doesn't work.

How many skill points did you have accumulated when that began to happen? And did you lose them? Or did it allocate the skill points for you?

gimz

oh no im stuck!!
i got the boat, and i park it some where then teleport myself to some town, and now i cant find my boat again!!

is there anyway i can summon my boat, or send myself back to the boat? or at least show where the boat is on the map??

botticus

gimz said:
oh no im stuck!!
i got the boat, and i park it some where then teleport myself to some town, and now i cant find my boat again!!

is there anyway i can summon my boat, or send myself back to the boat? or at least show where the boat is on the map??
Your boat follows you around when you Zoom. You should see a little blue boat icon in water nearby. Unless you're not near water.

Hooray, sword mastered using Thief and Mage skill points. Time to start powering up the Paladin - which apparently only refers to HP, because at level 12 he already has higher attack and defense than my Warrior did at 35!

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I love many of the things they did to this game, however one thing bugs the crap out of me.

I was reading about the way you get your final equipment:

If I understand this right, you have a < 20 percent chance of making the 5 star ultimate weapons. The game forces you to save when making the combination, you need various rare orbs to even *try* the combination. If you fail you need to reset to the base equipment, then do two combinations to try again, using up more resources.

That has to be the worst grind I've seen in a console rpg... it seems easier to get the ultimate equipment in most mmorpgs. This method would be ok, if you could still get one of each ultimate weapon via side quests like most rpgs. As it stands now, this game is a completionist's worst nightmare.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
someone correct me if I'm wrong... I remember in DQ VIII, being able to have multiple weapons in a character's inventory (with only one equipped of course). Then if you had multiple weapons that had "use as an item" special functions you could have all of them accessible to that character in battle. I also seem to remember being able to equip a different weapon mid-battle.

Are both of these things no longer doable?

rush777

levious said:
someone correct me if I'm wrong... I remember in DQ VIII, being able to have multiple weapons in a character's inventory (with only one equipped of course). Then if you had multiple weapons that had "use as an item" special functions you could have all of them accessible to that character in battle. I also seem to remember being able to equip a different weapon mid-battle.

Are both of these things no longer doable?

Unfortunately both of those options are gone so you have to choose carefully what weapon you want to carry.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
By far the most annoying vocational quest thus far is the
martial artist one. War cry the scarewolves, and match up agilities perfectly so you finish it off BEFORE it says, " Scarewolf is stricken with terror." Took a few trial and error tests before I figured out the perfect matchup.

Mejilan said:
Can someone please summarize where the optimal metal slime farming spot is in that tomb during the Coffintown story arc? Searching from my mobile is proving both frustrating and fruitless. Thanks!

I ran around the lowest two vertical sections of hallway second from the right and I found that after finding a slime once, there was virtually always one hanging around one of those or the two hallway sections perpendicular to those (often needing the screen rotated to see them) until I killed a slime, then I would have to wait a little for a new slime.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
rush777 said:
Unfortunately both of those options are gone so you have to choose carefully what weapon you want to carry.

ok thanks, was that pretty non-typical for the series?

oh wow, didn't realize you still could re-equip in battle, thanks

Suikoguy said:
I love many of the things they did to this game, however one thing bugs the crap out of me.

I was reading about the way you get your final equipment:

If I understand this right, you have a < 20 percent chance of making the 5 star ultimate weapons. The game forces you to save when making the combination, you need various rare orbs to even *try* the combination. If you fail you need to reset to the base equipment, then do two combinations to try again, using up more resources.

That has to be the worst grind I've seen in a console rpg... it seems easier to get the ultimate equipment in most mmorpgs. This method would be ok, if you could still get one of each ultimate weapon via side quests like most rpgs. As it stands now, this game is a completionist's worst nightmare.
This sounds good to me. I am happy that it's actually difficult to make the ultimate weapons and not a cakewalk. And that they don't let you just load a save and try again since that wouldn't make it difficult either.

It's about time ultimate weapons become a challenge to get and not every player is guaranteed to have them. These weapons aren't needed to finish the game's story anyway.

After seeing all the cool pics of gigasteel armour, I finally found the recipe and was immediately underwhelmed by the stats. Not making that armour.

wrowa

Hobbun said:
How many skill points did you have accumulated when that began to happen? And did you lose them? Or did it allocate the skill points for you?
I haven't accumulated many, I refused to allocate the skill points after leveling-up once and afterward I tried to allocate the points via the misc menu, but it told me that I didn't have any skill points left. At that time I wasn't sure anymore whether or not I really didn't use them after I got the level up, so after I got another level up (which included skill points, I'm not stupid) I tried it again and ... well, I lost the points again. It didn't allocate them for me or anything, they just vanished.

ScrabbleDude said:
It's about time ultimate weapons become a challenge to get and not every player is guaranteed to have them. These weapons aren't needed to finish the game's story anyway.
Challenge != luck.
Being dependent on luck really hasn't anything to do with "challenge".

rpmurphy

Need help on the fashion show, betterfly, and hocus chimaera quests. For the chimaera one, do I
have to fight the ones in the desert?

Also, just got my priest up to level 40 and did the quest (I cheated on it :p). Can't wait to test my new ability on some of the treasure map bosses!

Edit: Oh and Catholicon Ring or Elfin Charm -- what's the difference?

gimz

botticus said:
Your boat follows you around when you Zoom. You should see a little blue boat icon in water nearby. Unless you're not near water.
for the past 2 days i have been running around map trying to find a place i have never been to yet, and i swear i got the boat since then but just couldnt find it, and just now i went back to the town where i can get the boat, its there!! and they gave me the same cut scene when i got my boat for the first time! weird

or maybe i forgot to save after i got the boat for the first time, i donno :lol

EzLink

Banned
I can't seem to find a helpful guide on the advanced vocations. I know how to unlock them, but as far as the best ones and what skill lines have the best moves I keep coming up empty.

My party right now is

Minstrel
Warrior
Mage
Priest

The vocations I'm interested in long term are gladiator, sage, and ranger (I'm not even sure what the paladin or armamentalist classes do so I don't know if I'd be interested in them)

I was thinking though Warrior->Gladiator, Mage->Ranger (maybe? If that would be a good transition) and Priest->Sage (for my main healer). But I'm still not sure which skill lines to focus on now (just got to Alltrade Abbey)

Any advice or links to places that might help me with? I know there is a japanese guide on gamefaqs but it isn't quite helpful enough

botticus

EzLink said:
I was thinking though Warrior->Gladiator, Mage->Ranger (maybe? If that would be a good transition) and Priest->Sage (for my main healer). But I'm still not sure which skill lines to focus on now (just got to Alltrade Abbey)

Any advice or links to places that might help me with? I know there is a japanese guide on gamefaqs but it isn't quite helpful enough
Honestly there's enough diversity that most combinations/transitions will work fine. However, Mage to Ranger isn't all that great since the Mage is going to get bulked up in Magical Might, while Ranger uses healing magic.

Um, okay what the fuck was that battle. I know my Paladin's a little underleveled, but I should not have to be dealing with my level 35 party members being one-hit by a boss who attacks two times per round.

I didn't want that 7k gold anyway.

YourMaster said:
I figured it out the hard way.
If you 'cancel' skill point allocation you lose them. If you confirm without assigning them, you keep them.
Nah, I've canceled numerous times.

Hyunkel6

rpmurphy said:
For the chimaera one, do I
have to fight the ones in the desert?
I found a lot of hocus chimeras in the dungeon leading to Zere Rocks. I think it's called the Heights of Loneliness?

Top Bottom