• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Forkball

The armamentalist quest can be done rather easily if you know what to do.

First, you need to go to Quarantomb. The first room is just a small room with one entrance, and then next room is a big maze. When you get to the maze room, walk up a bit near the slab (but not right next to it). Enemies here spawn rather quickly. When one of the enemies comes towards you, run back out to the previous room, and then back to the maze room in the same spot and watch the enemies spawn. Keep doing this until you find a metal slime. They aren't super common, but I've seen a metal slime spawn, fought it, then another one spawn immediately afterwards.

When you actually find the metal slime, you should have someone with metal slash (a sword skill). Metal slash normally does 2 HP damage, which doesn't sound like a lot, but all metal slimes have only 4 HP. Have your sword guy use metal slash for 2 HP, have another party member attack for maybe 1 HP, another defend, and have your mage use wizard ward. If everything turned out ok, the slime should be down to 1 HP, and defend with everyone and have your mage attack for the killing blow. Granted, most of the time you probably won't be able to do this in just two turns, but it shouldn't take more than four turns. The metal slimes are also rather aggressive and don't run away too often.

Koomaster

Advice for anyone doing the Soothe Sayer quest, where you have to get 20 enemies enraged, and then use Soothe Sayer ability on them to calm them down. When you get to the skeleton soldiers, they get pissed off very easily. Just get one all by itself in battle, and have people defend or throw around buff spells and healing spells to keep everyone's health up. You can complete the whole quest getting one skeleton soldier pissed off and calmed down 20 times in one fight.

All of the quests are dumb unless you have the right setup, which is kind of the "lesson learned" I guess. I still haven't completed the Ranger 15 quest because I have no taunt ability. I'll get around to putting points in Warrior pretty soon though.

Freyjadour said:
All of the quests are dumb unless you have the right setup, which is kind of the "lesson learned" I guess. I still haven't completed the Ranger 15 quest because I have no taunt ability. I'll get around to putting points in Warrior pretty soon though.

You really ought to have someone know Whistle anyway, since the level 15 Warrior quest is similar.
You must kill an enraged enemy with a critical attack, twice. Enemies don't really get enraged much on their own

Dragona Akehi said:
You really ought to have someone know Whistle anyway, since the level 15 Warrior quest is similar.
You must kill an enraged enemy with a critical attack, twice. Enemies don't really get enraged much on their own
I haven't had anyone as a Warrior long enough to need to yet. I spend too much time questing as is. It is next on my list for my MA/Gladiator though.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
My main is my tank, and he has whistle, but he's too slow, he whistles when everyones done attacking and moving on =/. It's agility to make him move sooner in combat right? Or was it deftness?

Kinitari said:
My main is my tank, and he has whistle, but he's too slow, he whistles when everyones done attacking and moving on =/. It's agility to make him move sooner in combat right? Or was it deftness?

Agility.

Just have everyone defend first turn.

Gravijah

Dragona Akehi said:
That's entirely different, pre-emptive strikes are when Agility is ignored entirely and your team gets the first round.

No no, I just found it interesting that agility was speed while deftness governed pre-emptive strikes. :)

Gravijah said:
No no, I just found it interesting that agility was speed while deftness governed pre-emptive strikes. :)

I didn't mean to sound uppity. Just explaining. It's why deftness also governs thievery. Just think of it as the party sneaking up on the enemy, rather than being really fast. It makes a lot of sense if you come from a D&D perspective.

Gravijah

wrowa said:
I can't decide which weapon I should skill for a priest. Staff? Wand? Spear? Need advise please :p

I used wand. Means I can use it on priest, mage, sage and paladin without having to worry about dumping lots of points into it.

Dragona Akehi said:
I didn't mean to sound uppity. Just explaining. It's why deftness also governs thievery. Just think of it as the party sneaking up on the enemy, rather than being really fast. It makes a lot of sense if you come from a D&D perspective.

So, deftness does cover stealing? I was unsure as the manual didn't say, though I think a few people have mentioned it doing so.

Gravijah said:
So, deftness does cover stealing? I was unsure as the manual didn't say, though I think a few people have mentioned it doing so.

There's a reason why almost every single thief-exclusive equipment has a deftness boost. :p

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Dragona Akehi said:
Agility.

Just have everyone defend first turn.

Huzzah, I guess I could just do that - so far I've gotten him up to 57 base agility while a Gladiator, but he probably needs at least 110 to go before most enemies (everyone else in my part is sitting at like 150). Aw well, time to grind some more.

Edit: All this spears talk is making me reaaaally regret my 84 in wands for my healer =/. Who by the way, never runs out of MP! So take that, losers.

She also does like, 30 damage at level 38. (I will be turning her into a Sage though?).

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
w0000t I got it on the next slime :D

the sad part about it is that i'm not even going to use the vocation it unlocks :p

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
K2Valor said:
w0000t I got it on the next slime :D

the sad part about it is that i'm not even going to use the vocation it unlocks :p

That's probably more useful, now you have a skill farming vocation.

zoku88

Is there no equivalent to the falcon earrings in this game? The accessory that granted double attacks to anyone who wears them? I see falcon knife earrings, but that's actually a knife, no?

Aeana

zoku88 said:
Is there no equivalent to the falcon earrings in this game? The accessory that granted double attacks to anyone who wears them? I see falcon knife earrings, but that's actually a knife, no?
They were always a weapon.

zoku88

Aeana said:
They were always a weapon.
really?

I thought in DQIV, at least, they were an accessory. I thought i put them on that one tomboy girl who I gave claws as a weapon... Am I thinking of another accessory or am I just out of my mind?

EDIT: Yea, I'm out of my mind >.>

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Vocational spoilers:

Unlocked gladiator right after Armamentalist. Changed my warrior (main) to a Gladiator. What is the natural progression for a martial artist, if any? I know I want my mage to be a sage, and my Priest to be a Paladin however.

Aeana

zoku88 said:
really?

I thought in DQIV, at least, they were an accessory. I thought i put them on that one tomboy girl who I gave claws as a weapon... Am I thinking of another accessory or am I just out of my mind?
It's a weapon in DQ4, too.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Dragona Akehi said:
Anything works, honestly. Go with what you want! That's the beauty of DQ!
NO NO NO! There must be a single, perfect path and you are keeping it a secret from me, aren't you?!?!

Loto

Vyse The Legend said:
Thanks for the help!

One more question: axes or swords for Gladiator?

I would go axes personally. Hatchet Man?, is going to be my MKS killer. But im going by how it worked in DQ8.

Instro

Alright Ive made full party vocation shift now that I have the Paladin

Hero Soldier to Armamentalist
Thief to Gladiator
Priest to Paladin
Mage to Priest

Should be a pretty sweet team, my Hero has max swords so he will be able to spam Gigaslash pretty well along with the buffs from the Fource skills. The Gladiator and Paladin are both close to maxing out the axe and spear respectively from other skill points gained and my mage will be taking over healing for now, my plan will be to make him a Sage eventually. Im hoping the Paladin gets a couple healing type spells as well though. All I have to do is level all of them up from 1 now :D

Btw does anyone know how to do the Fools Gold quest Id like to finish that before heading into the sewers.

Gravijah said:
I hope future RPGs have as much loot as this game... and I hope future RPGs like me SEE my loot like this game.

I hope future RPGs approach anything near what this game offers.
This game has set a new standard for me as far as jrpgs go...

also, I played my first co-op today with a friend of mine at work that got the game on my recommendation.
It's his first Dragon Quest game ever and he absolutely loves it! SWEET!

I helped him take on
the Wight Knight second act after Zere, with my respecced thief class
yeah, the multiplayer is the real deal. Great fun!

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Is the loot from a treasure map random, or is it based on something else?

edit: I'm refering to the look listed when you look at the treasure maps.

BooJoh

Instro said:
Btw does anyone know how to do the Fools Gold quest Id like to finish that before heading into the sewers.
Just keep killing gold golems in the desert, eventually you'll get a mini-event and complete the quest after a battle ends.

Instro

BooJoh said:
Just keep killing gold golems in the desert, eventually you'll get a mini-event and complete the quest after a battle ends.

Ah ok I kind of figured as much, but I wanted to make sure before I started a golem genocide. I need money so its a win win anyway.

Hyunkel6

Instro said:
More specifically, wander around the dry river bed to the south east of Gleeba. I had much more golem encounters there.

On another note, I'm missing the last 2 vocations. Where are they?

i'm at level 22 so far. holy shit @ the metal slimes.

just beat
ragin' contagion
had to level up a little bit, i tried to beat him 5 times already but i always fail.

btw, stupid question: just like i said before, i'm at lv 22 but so far i don't have a party, i'm playing the game alone. am i doing something wrong?

Foxix Von

Solid warrior said:
i'm at level 22 so far. holy shit @ the metal slimes.

just beat
ragin' contagion
had to level up a little bit, i tried to beat him 5 times already but i always fail.

btw, stupid question: just like i said before, i'm at lv 22 but so far i don't have a party, i'm playing the game alone. am i doing something wrong?

Yes. Get a party. Problem solved :lol

Talk to patty at the Stornway inn and recruit some friends.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Hyunkel6 said:
More specifically, wander around the dry river bed to the south east of Gleeba. I had much more golem encounters there.

On another note, I'm missing the last 2 vocations. Where are they?
One is not available
until the end of the game
. The other is not available until
after the "main game" is over.
Spoilers just in case people care that much.

Top Bottom