• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Cheerilee

I got to the job switching place and realized that any points I dumped into weapon-specific skills were wasted unless I were to dump the full 100 points into them, so I taught everyone the sword's slime-killing technique, switched everyone into level 1 jobs (three with sword access, one mage, just for balance), warped to Coffinwell, ran left to the dungeon that had metal slimes while avoiding all enemies. In the dungeon I just dodged everyone until I saw a slime, and attacked it. Level 1 to level 15 in almost no time. Trade for new level 1 jobs. Did that another four times or so, and everyone in my party had over 100 skill points banked.

I maxed out all of their sword abilities, and now I have a party consisting of two black mages and two white mages who are busting up everything in sight with sword skills that put my old warrior to shame, and don't even need to dig into their spell reserves. I know the game will adjust for it eventually, seeing as how they usually intend you to max out multiple skill trees by the end of the game, but I'm having fun with it for now.

I think I have more little complaints about this game than any previous Dragon Quest, but... this is Dragon Quest, so who cares?

Instro

Well Im heading into the final boss fight next, I have a few quests I could finish but Ill probably just do it another time. I already put alot of time into the other class quests so Im a bit burned out on "go kill x amount of monsters under these specific conditions" etc. I want to do the Sage quest as well but then Id have to level it up so I think Ill just wait till I can find some Metal King Slimes.

Bit disappointed that I've only been able to find the Rusty Sword in the final dungeon. The rest of the gear should be there too right? :\ Oh well
Erdrick's Sword
is pretty awesome so thats enough for me.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
antiquegamer said:
Do I have to get to certain point in the game before I can access on-line stuff? (downloading new quest and shop at DQVC)
You do. You have to get to Quester's Rest in Stornway. It's pretty early in the game.

Fantastical said:
You do. You have to get to Quester's Rest in Stornway. It's pretty early in the game.
Actually, you have to go further into the game before Sellma shows up at Quester's Rest and gives you access to DQVC.

I don't remember exactly when, but I believe it's when you unlock the Zoom spell.

BooJoh

JeTmAn81 said:
Wait, have you really been playing this game an average of 9.4 hours a day? It came out on July 11th, which was 17 days ago, and you've played it for 160 hours...if so, that's amazing. How have you managed it?
:lol I have been playing it a lot, I have a lot of free time. I tend to leave it on for extended periods while not playing too.
gimz said:
finally beated the last boss!! and at the end of the credit it says
to be continue, and we see a golden fruit dropping to the sea
does it means anything?
and is there anything new or interesting i should check out from now?
The place it showed with the fruit falling in the distance was Port Llaffan.

Gunloc said:
Actually, you have to go further into the game before Sellma shows up at Quester's Rest and gives you access to DQVC.

I don't remember exactly when, but I believe it's when you unlock the Zoom spell.

Thanks, play a bit after I posted here and found her show up at the inn. (I just never went back until now)

I can't seem to put this game down, but now my battery is drain so DS is being charged back up.

So aside from amassing points to put in skills, is there other reason to change your job?

antiquegamer said:
Thanks, play a bit after I posted here and found her show up at the inn. (I just never went back until now)

I can't seem to put this game down, but now my battery is drain so DS is being charged back up.

So aside from amassing points to put in skills, is there other reason to change your job?
If you earn the stat bonuses on the job-specific line, your character keeps them no matter what job they're on.

Link Man

Banned
antiquegamer said:

You can play while it's charging, you know.

Emonk

Banned
Apologies if this is common info, but it really helped me out.

A great way to farm metal slimes early in the game is to head over to the Quarantomb. As soon as you enter, stand behind the first big rock in the main dungeon. Three enemies will spawn and run off the screen, and they just keep popping up over and over. Eventually a metal slime will spawn. Fight, rinse, repeat.

It beats the hell out of running around that place trying to avoid the other mobs.

botticus

Koomaster said:
"You don't hold back with those metal slimes, do you? Their hearts must sink like lumps of lead when they see you coming!" ~ Stella

Busted! :lol

Metal Slimes Defeated: 177
Liquid Metal Slimes Defeated: 51

Just call me the Sliminator. 8)

I'm at 95 Hours on the game clock and I have a question. For the
Luminary
job quest; I have read that the monster I have to defeat is in grottos. But is there any way to tell which type of grotto? Are they in high levels, or a certain type of environment or what? I've been running through grottos all day and have yet to see one. :/
Ha, I've beaten 130 Liquid Metal Slimes. Ugh.

The whole grotto monster thing is kinda complicated. But for that one,
it is present in three environments - Nature (cave), Water, and Ice. Depending on environment, it's somewhere between Rank D and B (where A then S are the highest) so it's takes a relatively high level. I found them first in a level 54 Nature grotto. Once you get up to level 45+ grottos, it might be useful to check out an FAQ to see what monsters you can expect - there will be a unique set of monsters every 4 floors of every grotto type, increasing in rank each time.

Echoes

"Erect a Wizard Ward before defeating two metal slimes in battle."

What does this mean? I did a Wizard Ward and then defeated a Metal Slime (by another character). Should I defeat it by my mage?

Archetype

Neo Member
Echoes said:
"Erect a Wizard Ward before defeating two metal slimes in battle."

What does this mean? I did a Wizard Ward and then defeated a Metal Slime (by another character). Should I defeat it by my mage?

Yes, the Mage that used Wizard Ward must get the killing blow on the Metal Slime in order for it to count.

Echoes

Archetype said:
Yes, the Mage that used Wizard Ward must get the killing blow on the Metal Slime in order for it to count.
Man, this sucks. I hate these new jobs requirements; so annoying and pointless and takes time.

Now how am I supposed to kill an always-fleeing Metal Slime with my lousy mage? :-(

Wichu

Echoes said:
Man, this sucks. I hate these new jobs requirements; so annoying and pointless and takes time.

Now how am I supposed to kill an always-fleeing Metal Slime with my lousy mage? :-(
Switch to a sword-wielding class and use Wizard Ward, then Metal Slash. You keep skills you learn in other classes (not spells, though).

BitchTits

I think maybe I've over-grinded as so far the game has been a breeze. Even bosses are posing no trouble at all, but I am still early in the game
Just fought the pink boss who is sealed back in a jar

colinp

Banned
Echoes said:

Earlier someone recommended changing all your characters to mages and leveling them up enough to get the Wizard Ward ability. That way the first round you have them all cast Wizard Ward, and afterwards you have them all attack!

I did it with just three of my characters and it worked like a charm (I just had the fourth defend).

How often do materials pop up on the map? Or are they all on different timers?

gogojira

I messed around with skill points so much my hero is now a good six or seven levels behind the highest person in my party -- and that's after some solo grinding, haha.

The good thing is I've kicked the shit out of every boss I've run across.

Oxx

Segata Sanshiro said:
After booting up my JP one to tag myself, it really is amazing how slow the English text scrolls compared to the Japanese. I wonder why they did that?

Did the Japanese version have slowdown when you have 4 party members on screen, or is that another exclusive feature for the western versions?

Oxx said:
Did the Japanese version have slowdown when you have 4 party members on screen, or is that another exclusive feature for the western versions?
Nah, the slowdown is there in the Japanese version too, and it's pretty much the same. The text speed thing is weird though. It's instant in the Japanese version.

Up to the snowy school and my first attempt at the boss there ending in utter defeat. Still, I had planned on levelling a bit before fighting him - just didn't think it would be so soon :p

My party is ~lvl 26 and I'm thinking I should grind to ~lvl 30 before trying him again. Does that sound right for anyone who has reached this point?

Oxx

I'm around the same point, but I haven't fought the boss yet.

I was naturally drawn to 'grinding' the surrounding area after getting all those awesome-sounding alchemy recipes from the books in the school. Found some useful materials, but came up short looking for Royal Soil. I guess that quest didn't necessarily mean that there would be some nearby.

I think my party ranges from 24-35 at the moment.

Wichu

Anyway, which type of weapon should I use with my gladiator? I'm currently using swords, as I levelled up sword skills as a minstrel and warrior; would it be wise to switch to hammers or axes?

ccbfan

Woah there's a huge jump in difficulty after the figs.

The bosses went from doing 30-40 damage to doing 60-70 plus you get crit all the time. Only ones that survive are ones with max pally skills (two characters). Luckily one of those is my main healer. I'm glad I'm decided to go max pally with 2 character inside of spending it on priest skills and weapon skills cause I'd probably have to go grind some.

Speaking of which when do you get multi target heal?

botticus

colinp said:
How often do materials pop up on the map? Or are they all on different timers?
They're all different, or random. Some places take a full day, others replenish in the time between entering and exiting a grotto.

For the 30 Staff proficiency Quest

Do you have to kill a Stenchurion that spawns at the ocean or can you kill any stenchurion?

I've been killing stenchurions around Gittingham palace for 2 hours and the mirror (quest item) hasn't dropped.

Wichu said:
Anyway, which type of weapon should I use with my gladiator? I'm currently using swords, as I levelled up sword skills as a minstrel and warrior; would it be wise to switch to hammers or axes?
I went through the entire game with swords on my Gladiator. It makes a very good combination with the Uber falcon sword and falcon slash. However, I eventually also maxed out my axe skill for farming Metal King Slimes. If I were you, I would focus on putting points into some other class's skill sets before putting any into axes.

BooJoh

Got 3 of my characters to level 99.

I de-leveled my thief back to 1, which awarded me with an accessory that increases steal success rates. Re-leveling her is going to be a daunting task though. I want to get the accessories for my other characters, but I don't want to just drop my whole party to level 1 at once.

Looks like I have a lot of grinding ahead of me. :lol Hopefully I can find a grotto with Platinum King Jewels.

JeTmAn81

Does anybody else wish there was some way of knowing approximately what level you need to be before tackling boss characters? I find it incredibly frustrating to waste ten minutes on a boss only to get blown away by its second set of much more powerful attacks. My preferred game philosophy is one that doesn't require you to do the exact same thing more than once, and knowing what's required to get past a challenge would really help with that.

Oli

My game finally arrived! And I have a few questions after starting out:
First off, I just came back from examining the landslide. I just got some skills points, and I put all three into sword skills. Is that advisable? And should I continue to dump them into one catagory, or spread them out? Also, how skimpy should I be about upgrading equipment? I have enough for the better sword in town, should I just go for it when I have the cash?

Really loving the game so far.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
This game is pure addiction. Spent today's commute hunting down new monsters that were missing from my compendium so far, and I even managed to get two quests cleared in the process.

Which is good, since I had reached the open quest limit, and getting the third fygg a little while ago likely opened up a bunch of new quests to pursue!

Sooooo goooooooooood!

zigg

You're pretty much all way ahead of me :lol but for those of you who have access to a DS flash card, I was wondering if you might like to try something.

Someone else probably thought of this (and hopefully it actually works), but it seems to me that if you dumped your original card ROM to your flash card, got your friend to dump his/her save and send it to you, ran both copies of the game on two DS's and tagged each other, then sent the modified save back to your friend who restored it to his/her game card, you could pull off a long-distance tag.

I've got everything I need on my end to do the tag side of this equation. If anyone out there is willing to send me their save and put back a modified one I send back (actually—I don't even care if you put it back, but I imagine you'd want to!), I'm willing to try this out. PM me.

zigg

Mejilan said:
8'm not sure I exactly understand.
What would be the purpose of all that hoop jumping?

You get an actual real tag out of it. Experience the social passer-by part of the game without carrying around a DS for weeks trying in vain to get another person playing to walk within 30-100 feet of you and stand there long enough for the data exchange to take place.

Basically, you're replicating your friend bringing his DS and DQ9 over. And if it works, it's guaranteed.

Mejilan

Ah. I used cheats to max out my multiplayer-related stats and get the resulting in-game rewards and unlocks. I don't have the patience for the social silliness and wouldn't even bother had I known someone else locally who actually plays the game. I certainly am not interested in jumping through additional hoops to fake the tags.

It's an interesting experiment though, and I'd be keen on seeing if you can get it to work with someone else.

zigg

Mejilan said:
Ah. I used cheats to max out my multiplayer-related stats and get the resulting in-game rewards and unlocks. I don't have the patience for the social silliness and wouldn't even bother had I known someone else locally who actually plays the game. I certainly am not interested in jumping through additional hoops to fake the tags.

Fair enough. :D I kind of hate that it's so difficult to do here. But I want to try it.

Incidentally, I could make this work with someone playing on a flash card too—I just need the .sav then—but I'll be needing my prospective tag to swear to me on their mother's honor that they bought the game legit.

Archetype

Neo Member
Echoes said:

I think I ended up just bringing along my higher level Thief with Warcry and she would keep the Metal Slime pinned down while the Mage flailed at it with her staff. My main character weakened the slime up a bit with Metal Slash for the Mage first. It actually didn't take too long.

Mejilan

If no one jumps at the opportunity by this weekend, I'll volunteer.
I've posted evidence of my purchase in this thread (actually got the game 3-4 days early thanks to a street date-breaking NYC mom & pop shop)! But I could dig up the pics again, if need be! Inripped the game weeks ago and could easily send you my .sav file.

zigg

levious said:
how hard is it to extract the save file from a legit copy?

Varies by the method you use.

If you have a DS or Lite and only have a DS-slot flash card, you can use savsender (run a tool called "nc" to start a server on your PC) or Rudolph's NDS Backup tool (run an FTP server on your PC) to transfer the saves back and forth over your local wireless network.

If you have a GBA-slot flash cartridge that supports DLDI, you can use Rudolph's tool again (there's a version for this) to save and restore from the cartridge's flash memory, or another tool like Reinmoon or a few others I haven't tried.

If you have just a DSi, you're just plain out of luck. DSi's DS mode shuts off the power to the card slot when when insert your real game card, so you can't hot swap from homebrew to your game card. Unless... way, way out there: the save type is EEPROM-512k (a 64Kbyte file), so it might work with Datel's old Action Replay MAX DUO, which will even boot in a GBA... but I don't recommend trying to track one of those down unless you're desperate, linking them up to a PC is a chore. I used to use that way back when Band Brothers was new and I was desperate to trade songs with people online :D

Oxx

I'm just going to give up on trying to get drops from Hocus Chimeras and Mummys and get back to the story. Too much hassle.

Koomaster

Oli said:
My game finally arrived! And I have a few questions after starting out:
First off, I just came back from examining the landslide. I just got some skills points, and I put all three into sword skills. Is that advisable? And should I continue to dump them into one catagory, or spread them out? Also, how skimpy should I be about upgrading equipment? I have enough for the better sword in town, should I just go for it when I have the cash?

Really loving the game so far.
If you plan to have your main character's weapon be a sword, it's great to put points into swords. If you aren't sure what you want your main guy to do yet, you can save the skill points till later.

As for upgrading equipment, unless it's a huge upgrade, I didn't even bother. Often I would run across a chest in a dungeon that had upgraded armor/weapon that was being sold in the shop in town.

Just explore as much as you're able and don't be afraid of death.

Archetype said:
I think I ended up just bringing along my higher level Thief with Warcry and she would keep the Metal Slime pinned down while the Mage flailed at it with her staff. My main character weakened the slime up a bit with Metal Slash for the Mage first. It actually didn't take too long.

How do you get Warcry, I'm looking at the Thief's skills and I can't see it?

Shoogoo

How good is the Fisticuffs tree?

And what should I pick if I'm going MA? I'd guess Claws because both thieves and MA got them, but I'm not sure

rpmurphy

Shoogoo said:

And what should I pick if I'm going MA? I'd guess Claws because both thieves and MA got them, but I'm not sure
It is pretty good early on, but the attack power gets outdone by later weapons. Works pretty well on classes with high strength, and it is by default omnivocational. Wind Sickles will come in handy.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Success!! The 'Sages in the Pages' quest has been transgressed with finesse!

Now I have an excuse not to finish the final dungeon. Elizabet shall be a boomerang sage. :D

Yaweee

Shoogoo said:

It can be a bit iffy. Wind Sickles is fantastic (0MP group attacks as strong as physical attacks and +damage to elemetals), Multifist does basically double damage (4 half-damage attacks) and the alter +ATK skills seem nice. However, the +ATK skills are spread out much more than how often you can buy new weapons for the other trees.

Top Bottom