• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest appreciation thread

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Bumpin' this old thread...

Been playing Dragon Quest III via GBC for the past few weeks on and off now.

I only really have time to play on the weekends, anywho...

Just got up all my chars (Hero, Fighter, Mage, Cleric) up to 20 then had Fighter > Sage and Mage > Thief... just about to get the final key all the while leveling up at the same time.

Hero - Lv 24
Sage - Lv 17
Thief - Lv 19
Cleric - Lv 24

Any suggestions on what I should change Cleric to? How long should I want/if I have to? Also I'm pretty sure I'm going to leave Sage how it is, but how about Theif, where should I go from here?

Sorry my first time playing and yes, I am a n00b. ;)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You can never have too many Sages.

Well, you can, but then you just turn one of those Sages into a fighter after you've learned all the spells.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Just did the Lar Mirror quest with one of the towns...

So yea, any suggestions on what to do with my cleric? Should I go straight to sage again?

Also my theif is at 24 and learned all the spells (I think) a thief can learn, should I go sage with that one as well?

Just looking for the most effective party thats all.

Red Scarlet

The party I go with now tends to be Thief/Hero/Cleric/Mage. Thief changes to a Fighter after learning all the Thief spells, Mage changes to Sage via the Book of Enlightenment found at the Garuna Tower. Once I get another book later on in the game, the Cleric becomes a second sage. This is nice because the Cleric learns two of the more useful spells for the class (half revive and lower damage from breath attacks) much sooner and earlier than changing into a Sage can.

You can only change a character into a Sage via a Book of Enlightenment or
by getting a Goof-Off up to level 20

Just playing through with the Hero is another party to use, too.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Is that really a secret worthy of a spoiler anymore? I can't remember but don't they mention it in the manual to DW III GBC? :lol

Red Scarlet

Mark's never played it before so just in case he didn't want to know about an alternate method. The manual is similar to the NES version:

A SPECIAL CLASS
Becoming a Sage

A sage has incredible powers. However, not everyone can become a sage. To become a sage, a special ritual is required.

To be honest, I never knew about the alternate method until after the SFC version was released.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
No kidding. I wonder when I picked it up then, as I never remember reading any guides or having more than one Sage in DW III on the NES.

When I played the game on the GBC last year I remember one of my characters had a particularly bizzare leveling up path

Warrior>Goof Off>Sage>Fighter

It's just too difficult to find good equipment for three sages.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Thanks for the heads up advice everyone...

I guess I should have picked fighter later rather than sooner ;(

You think it'd be wise to leave my current theif(former mage) as a thief? Or should I go ahead and convert them into a Sage/Warrior or something... + when is a good level to convert a thief? I'm at 24 or so right now and I THINK I have all the thief skills...

I know my Cleric will eventually be a second sage for me.

Red Scarlet

The last spell a Thief gets I think is called 'MapMagic'. If you cast it while there's something hidden on the screen, it will sparkle. Thief learns it around lv20-23 or so.

I went through the game fine the first time I played with Warrior/Hero/Priest->Sage/Thief. The advantage of the Thief over a Warrior is agility and whips/boomerangs/1-hit kill weapons while having less strength/HP and over a Fighter is whips/boomerangs/1-hit kill weapons while having less HP and no high critical hit rate.

x3sphere

Mejilan said:
Final update:

In the 140+ hours I put into DQVII, I've only experienced two fatal crashes. Both random and apparently not able to be duplicated.

I pretty much feel like I did everything possible within reason. Fully completed the story, finalized the monster book, beat both bonus dungeons, and milked the bonus boss for all of his loot. Hell, even got him to join my immigrant town!

POPS 3.72 is definitely the way to go folks, so that means POPSLoader either using 3.71 M33, 3.80 M33, or 3.90 M33.

Good to hear. I might start DQVII again (and hopefully finish it this time! :p)

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
r1c4r6.jpg

Awww!

Cdammen

I've never played a single DQ game. I've actually never even seen one running on any console/emulator. I'll be buying the fourth (I think) game when it's available in English on the NDS. Really looking forward to it.

And WTF @ that slime stylus! Creepy as hell :lol

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
DQ8 rekindled my love for the series. I bought DWVII here on GAF. Now I want every iteration again. Too bad we didn't get DQ Yangus.

Pojo

Banned
I bought DQ Swords a few weeks ago for like $20. I died at this
pig boss in the tower of mirrors
and quit playing. :(

It's a shame, too, because I generally love anything and everything Dragon Quest.

ronito

Still trudging in DQVII. I'm at the robot town ready for the dungeon but I need to grind moar, I'm not even up to level 12 (still at 11). The game is still fun but I really hope I get to the classes soon.

BitchTits

I'm definately pre-ordering a slime stylus :lol

These are coming on the same day too according to Play Asia:

pa.128247.1.jpg

:D

I've been playing DQII for a while now, and recently picked it back up after losing interest a little. I haven't really enjoyed it as much as the previous DQ games I recently played (I and V). I think I had burn out since I started playing straight after completing the first game, and I have found the size of DQII a little confusing, it does seem there is a lot of treking from end of the map to the other - maybe I've just been getting lost.

I did hit a snag that made me a little disheartened in my playthrough - After getting the ship, I went to do some grinding/exploring, and I stayed over at an Inn to replenish HP/MP, and the next morning
the Prince was paralised
. I realised I'd reached this part of the game way too soon as I'd seen no mention of this after looking in a couple of FAQs upto the point I was at. So I've continued with the Hero and Princess for the rest of the game so far
Just opened the watergate and got the items for the Water Flying Clothes

I do have a question with regards to this - The guy who makes the clothes still says he isn't ready (I've slept in the town a couple of times and slept at another town a couple times since giving him the items - how long does he take to make them? And is it too long before I can get the Prince back?

Aeana

I do have a question with regards to this - The guy who makes the clothes still says he isn't ready (I've slept in the town a couple of times and slept at another town a couple times since giving him the items - how long does he take to make them? And is it too long before I can get the Prince back?

Save and shut the game off, then turn it on again.

sennin

First off a thank you to the folks who made and contributed extensively to this thread, as it educated me on the finer aspects of DQ. Since VIII was my first game, I had no idea there was an intricate class system for the series. Now that I'm intrigued by DQ as a series, I'm certainly putting money aside for DQ IV in English.

Kind of wish SE had set aside a budget to localize DQ V PS2, but hopefully DQ V for the DS will make me forget about playing it on a big screen SDTV.

Ha ha, creepy but awesome slime stylus.
sennin said:
Kind of wish SE had set aside a budget to localize DQ V PS2, but hopefully DQ V for the DS will make me forget about playing it on a big screen SDTV.
I honestly don't think it's too late for the PS2 version of DQV, even though I know it's never coming. Ever. I still want both localised, but the DS version is looking good, and it's a good medium between the retro look of the SFC version and the full 3D look of the PS2 ver.

sennin

Magicpaint said:
I honestly don't think it's too late for the PS2 version of DQV, even though I know it's never coming. Ever. I still want both localised, but the DS version is looking good, and it's a good medium between the retro look of the SFC version and the full 3D look of the PS2 ver.

It's been 4 years buddy, I wish I share your optimism about them porting the PS2 version. Front Mission 2 and 5 are never coming as well, despite the fact you can pick up Japanese FM games for cheap today via Ultimate Hits reprints, those come with a nifty blue Trading Arts figure as well.

Red Scarlet

BitchTits said:
And is it too long before I can get the Prince back?

You don't ever have to get the Prince back if you don't want to; there should be no time limit. I found it pretty fun to keep him sick for the rest of the game and just use the main guy and Moonbrooke princess one time.

I hope that picture just has bad color and it's not an orange slime but a red one.

Red Scarlet

After just looking at them again, in 8 they do look orange but at night they seem a little more red to me. In 7/4r they appear more orangey than red than I remember. But in 1/3, they are definitely red! Maybe I just never looked super close at them since I remembered them being red at first. Some merchandise has them as red still though. :(

SYNTAX182

Amazing thread, Aeana. I only played DQ8 and it was amazing. I like Toriyama's art style, very unique. I especially liked how you can change the armor on your party and it actually changes in game. Don't know why most rpg's dont do this. You need to put a preview of DQ9 too, the game looks like another amazing entry in the series.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Official Dragon Quest IV DS site now open!

http://na.square-enix.com/dq4/

Scheduled for Sept. 16th North American release...

Also pretty much confirmed that V and VI are coming out too!

The English titles are:

Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride
Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Reverie

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I've been listening to a lot of Dragon Quest music from all throughout the series in the buildup to DQV hitting in the next few weeks and I've probably fallen in love with it all again. I seem to be the only one on this forum who continually drives the bandwagon and bangs the pots for Sugiyama so I won't spread my love all throughout this post.

I'm more concerned with the problems that occur via age. Sugiyama is now 77, DQ itself is 22 years old.. what's going to happen if Sugiyama passes away? Is the series going to completely stop or do you think Horii will keep pushing on?

NolbertoS

speedpop said:
I've been listening to a lot of Dragon Quest music from all throughout the series in the buildup to DQV hitting in the next few weeks and I've probably fallen in love with it all again. I seem to be the only one on this forum who continually drives the bandwagon and bangs the pots for Sugiyama so I won't spread my love all throughout this post.

I'm more concerned with the problems that occur via age. Sugiyama is now 77, DQ itself is 22 years old.. what's going to happen if Sugiyama passes away? Is the series going to completely stop or do you think Horii will keep pushing on?

I did that the day they announced DQIV for the DS. Went on youtube and listened to the DQIV OST.

Aeana

speedpop said:

I've discussed this at length with other people.

I would hope that Horii would stop. Dragon Quest would cease being Dragon Quest without any of the main three.

I'm not sure I'd want to play a Dragon Quest game without Sugiyama's music, Horii's design, or even Toriyama's characters/monsters.

zoku88

Maybe Sugiyama is secretly making an apprentice as we speak? :p

But I doubt they would stop. I mean, you can probably find a composer that makes somewhat similar music to Sugiyama. I mean, besides people who looked it up, who noticed which tracks in FFX were not composed by Uematsu?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Not too concerned. I never subscribed to the belief that Mario or Zelda would die with Miyamoto, so I wouldn't go there with Dragon Quest and it's main men either. The deaths of great men is always something to regret, of course, but there is always the potential of others taking up the cause with love and respect in their hearts.

The franchises could eventually be completely butchered, sure, but I don't think it's guaranteed.

Edit - Besides, Sugiyama's music already isn't what it used to be, IMHO. It's literally been downhill with DQV. VIII has the worst music in the franchise by a good measure, but even VI and VII simply cannot compare to I-IV. V was a case of close-but-not-quite, but even so, I'd lump it closer to I-IV than VI-VIII.

Aeana

zoku88 said:
Maybe Sugiyama is secretly making an apprentice as we speak? :p

But I doubt they would stop. I mean, you can probably find a composer that makes somewhat similar music to Sugiyama. I mean, besides people who looked it up, who noticed which tracks in FFX were not composed by Uematsu?

I don't think so.

zoku88 said:
I mean, besides people who looked it up, who noticed which tracks in FFX were not composed by Uematsu?

I did. All three composers on FFX have very distinct styles. It's very easy to pick our their work. The same goes for Sugiyama... nobody matches his style.

Teknoman

Whoever did the boss theme for FFX needs to study up on boss themes a bit more. That was one of the most tame boss themes i've ever heard.

Seymour Omnis was ok though.

zoku88

Aeana said:
I don't think so.
I'm sure if you really wanted to, you could. It might be hard (the composer would prolly be western euro.) Music is like art, there will always be people that have somewhat similar styles. And everyone borrows something from everyone else (some people more than others.)

Actually, I was at a symphony orchestra concert and heard this one piece by this French composer, maybe from the 1950s or so, and part of the piece sounded something Sugiyama would compose. I should try finding the program and seeing if I can track down the song and actually get to compare the styles.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
i started dq swords today, and it just reminds me of how perfect the level 5 incarnation of the universe is....the music is incredible and the art direction and overworld design is simple and brilliant. i doesn't really matter that the game is shallow, just being in the dq world again made me feel great.

i really hope they nail that with IX. part of me is sad that there'll be something lost in the transition, though.

Top Bottom