• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest: Builders |OT| - "If you build it, they will come."

boooga

Neo Member
Perhaps this has already been answered (did a search, but no luck), but does anyone know if you can unlock the full game from within the demo when it's released? Not sure I feel like doing everything I've already done over again.

Not the biggest of deals, but still...

Nope, the demo progress does not carry over. Have to do it all over again in the main game.

If you've done it before, though, you can really fly through the demo content. Takes an hour or less, easily.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Nope, the demo progress does not carry over. Have to do it all over again in the main game.

If you've done it before, though, you can really fly through the demo content. Takes an hour or less, easily.

Thanks for clarifying!

Juraash

So I grabbed the demo last night and have really been enjoying it thus far. Does the full game allow any kind of control configuration? Just inverting the Y axis would be nice. Demo doesn't have any options but I'm assuming that's because it's just a demo.

So I grabbed the demo last night and have really been enjoying it thus far. Does the full game allow any kind of control configuration? Just inverting the Y axis would be nice. Demo doesn't have any options but I'm assuming that's because it's just a demo.
It does and the demo does as well. Not sure where it's hidden and can't check now but I definitely inverted y axis for the demo.

Sioen

Perhaps this has already been answered (did a search, but no luck), but does anyone know if you can unlock the full game from within the demo when it's released? Not sure I feel like doing everything I've already done over again.

Not the biggest of deals, but still...

You can not. woops late. :)

KdylanR92

Built a wall around my city using the Castle walls, little hammer bros can't break through them.

Also picked up that bed and some carpet, no more sleeping on the ground for me.

Got a fireplace from the castle area too.

boooga

Neo Member
Goddamn with the bronze sword I still do 1 damage to the dragon...

Yeah, I found the dragon last night for the first time and was surprised that my stone sword was only doing 1 damage. I'm sure there's an easy-ish way to beat him because people were doing that in the demo. But I haven't figured it out yet.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yeah, I found the dragon last night for the first time and was surprised that my stone sword was only doing 1 damage. I'm sure there's an easy-ish way to beat him because people were doing that in the demo. But I haven't figured it out yet.

I killed the first one in the demo with the wooden club. It took forever and it was all about hit -> dodge -> hit -> dodge. I'm assuming we'll get a better weapon later to make killing him easier.
There are multiple dragons around for you to find and kill, too.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
OKay the world map is not at the location any guide tells you it's at. I went there and found a book

Yeah, fascinating how the world map changes like it does. My video is completely useless! <3 Yay!

But really, that's awesome that it isn't a static world. It means my speed runs will be more exciting in that regard.

Ferr986

I did read something about making a hole underneath him but I still get hit lol

EDIT: So I took my time to make everyone sleep in other rooms and have a room to sleep me and Pam (Pippa in the EN ver) alone... and now she tells me she wants a room for herself.

Friendzoned even in a Dragon Quest game lol

Is there anything that transfers to the following chapters? Recipes, accessories? Anything? I want to know if I'm wasting my time trying to get the double jump boots in chapter 1. I still cannot find them, christ.

Also, do the following chapters offer anything unseen in previous ones? New blocks, new equipment, new music, etc.?

Tanston

Is there anything that transfers to the following chapters? Recipes, accessories? Anything? I want to know if I'm wasting my time trying to get the double jump boots in chapter 1. I still cannot find them, christ.

Also, do the following chapters offer anything unseen in previous ones? New blocks, new equipment, new music, etc.?

Very curious about this myself.

Hexer06

EDIT: So I took my time to make everyone sleep in other rooms and have a room to sleep me and Pam (Pippa in the EN ver) alone... and now she tells me she wants a room for herself.

Friendzoned even in a Dragon Quest game lol

I feel your pain. Wait til she asks you to run away together. Your dreams will be crushed shortly after. Lol

Can't figure out to build this watchtower for Larouche in Ch. 1, and the blueprint is incredibly unhelpful. Any advice?

Edit: I'm dumb and didn't realize you could hit select to bring up a 3D model of the structure.

N° 2048

Is the only way to save at your flag?

This game is addicting. Pippa wants her own place so I'm building her a wood cabin.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I really don't like the battle system at the beginning of the game. Maybe you get more options later, but as of now it feels so tacked on and the "hit, run away, hit, run away" thing is awkward.

boooga

Neo Member
I really don't like the battle system at the beginning of the game. Maybe you get more options later, but as of now it feels so tacked on and the "hit, run away, hit, run away" thing is awkward.

Even calling it a battle system is being pretty generous. I don't mind the combat, but you can tell by its simplicity that it's secondary to the building and crafting systems.

Jakoo

Quick Question: If you finish a Chapter, will you be able to go back to your save to finish Challenges within that save? Or are you forced to restart that chapter from scratch if you proceed in the story?

Not sure if I want to finish the Chapter 1 challenges now, or if I want to go on to Chapter 2. It would be nice to know I can go back at my leisure.

Quick Question: If you finish a Chapter, will you be able to go back to your save to finish Challenges within that save? Or are you forced to restart that chapter from scratch if you proceed in the story?

Not sure if I want to finish the Chapter 1 challenges now, or if I want to go on to Chapter 2. It would be nice to know I can go back at my leisure.
Each chapter has their own save files, so you can go back to them any time.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Thanks for the reply! That's great news, I prefer that style. Looks like I'll be picking this up later today.

The majority of stuff is the same, but some other small things might be slightly different is what we had found out during the import OT. But for the most part it wont be anything massive so you should not have to worry.

Shouta

So, if I am guessing correctly, are you able to advance further in technology for every chapter? So in the last one or two chapters you are able to build to max advancement?

There is no "max advancement," so to speak. The chapters introduce different elements for you to handle as a part of the story so you get stuff that's relevant for that chapter in addition to the general stuff you learned. When you complete a chapter and the challenges, you unlock that stuff in free mode and that's where you'll get to use everything, as I recall.

6 hours today trying to find cod in chapter 2. I'm only catching sardines and slimes.

I gotta be missing something really simple here. Any one have advice?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
6 hours today trying to find cod in chapter 2. I'm only catching sardines and slimes.

I gotta be missing something really simple here. Any one have advice?

You need to try different locations in that world. I do not remember exactly where it was to be honest. So try different bodies of water in the world itself. Though I think? it was from the ocean where I was catching them and not a "lake / pond"

Try the Jungle area and hit up the sea.

DQB's game loop is some of tightest, most compulsive I've experienced this gen.

I picked this up on a complete whim considering how much I've enjoyed other Dragon Quest spinoff games in the past and GAF's positive reception. Didn't even try the demo.

Game is fantastic, probably not going to let many DQ spinoff titles fly under my radar in the future. Not that I'll buy them on a whim, but I'll definitely be paying attention.

Ran into something interesting. I was trying to upgrade from dirt walls to stone. When I rebuilt my dual teleportarium and treasury both just show as a normal room. now I don't get the points or the bonuses that come with making these room.

Ran into something interesting. I was trying to upgrade from dirt walls to stone. When I rebuilt my dual teleportarium and treasury both just show as a normal room. now I don't get the points or the bonuses that come with making these room.

Check the Blueprints, more likely than not you've forgotten something small and easy to forget, like a light or pot, etcetera.

I'm in Chapter 2. Anyone know where I can find cotton? Need to build beds for one of the early quests and I can't find any.

It's in the wheat looking plants in grassy areas, like the one up in the hills where you get white petals.

Now, does anyone know where to find food in chapter 2?

Make sure the outside corners are solid, include pots/chest/light source. I've had plenty of times where I'm missing a brick on a lower corner.

Can anyone help me find some orichalcum? I'm not even sure what im looking for...

I'm really enjoying the game though, just had to force myself to take a break!

Top Bottom