• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest: Builders |OT| - "If you build it, they will come."

Daouzin

The challenges are a little annoying, but you don't have to beat them as you go. I plan on completing the story at my own pace then loading the saves and beating the challenges. Once that's done I'll do the speed runs. I'm pretty sure the speed runs can be done in a very short amount of time if you aren't doing any fun building.

Started chapter 2 yesterday ,damn they cranked up the survival aspect on the second chapter at the start , I almost died for the first time lol

Got poisoned, out of food , and was without any healing items , good thing I managed to get back to my village and sleep to recover .

Haha, luckier than I was, that's how I died for the first time. Went exploring right away to see what materials were around and didn't expect to be poisoned.

My OCD will bug me if I cannot access all recipes in build mode, do you understand? It is not "free" build because recipes are still locked if I don't do the speed challenges.

Challenges should unlock something else, not recipes.

I'm not running through the chapters again just to do the speed run for one recipe.

You're the worst.

I actually love the idea of having to unlock stuff for free build mode, but I think the complaint is fair.

The second boss took me literally 10 attempts at trying to work out the best way to place and use the bloody ballistas. Just ended up with some horrendous monstrosity of a tower right on the centre of my formerly beautiful base.

I found that boss stressful, but not difficult. His minions couldn't break much because of the materials I used on the structures and I had a feeling the boss would be in the air since they talked about it a lot. So I had walls with ballistas already, what annoyed me is that they didn't auto aim at all in terms of heights. So I just carried around blocks and a single ballista. It was fairly straight forward from there.

His minions couldn't break through anything and the balls of wind locked on to you, so as long as you weren't next to a structure the base was 100% safe.

Definitely stressful for the first few minutes, but the boss' pattern was super straight forward so i beat him on my first try.

Taking this one chapter at a time, just finished the speed run of chapter 1 so have all of its challenges now.

Gonna do the Dark Souls 3 DLC before starting chapter 2.

Razmos

Played the demo of this yesterday after hearing good things.

Really enjoyed it, ordered the full game and it should be coming tomorrow.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
And... platinum get:

rUJt04Bh.jpg

The speed runs aren't bad. You can beat them in half the amount of time required. You can your time a bit though and it's still no problem.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
And... platinum get:

rUJt04Bh.jpg

The speed runs aren't bad. You can beat them in half the amount of time required. You can your time a bit though and it's still no problem.

Nice congrats on that. Since I remember how you were so hell bent on getting that platinum good to see you achieved it lol

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Nice congrats on that. Since I remember how you were so hell bent on getting that platinum good to see you achieved it lol

Tell me about it. I feel like I have the urge to platinum any SE game that I've and will purchase.

Except for SO4, SO5, KH1.5, KH2.5, NieR, and FFX HD Collection.

Parakeetman

Tell me about it. I feel like I have the urge to platinum any SE game that I've and will purchase.

Except for SO4, SO5, KH1.5, KH2.5, NieR, and FFX HD Collection.

Yeah SO5 was kinda insane due to some of the trophies.

Reminds me of like the stuff with Blue Dragon. My friend killed his 360 doing those lol.

UCBooties

So how do I actually access the Day 1 edition content? I'm on PS4 and I entered the codes I received but didn't get the prompt to download them. Now when I go to my library I can see that I have 5 pieces of DLC but there's no link to view or download them. Is there a way to access the content from within the game?

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
So how do I actually access the Day 1 edition content? I'm on PS4 and I entered the codes I received but didn't get the prompt to download them. Now when I go to my library I can see that I have 5 pieces of DLC but there's no link to view or download them. Is there a way to access the content from within the game?

I asked this on the previous page and people said to access them from the color wheel crafting station in the free build mode, but I looked there and I don't have them listed.

Do you have to complete additional chapter challenges to unlock them or something? I'm playing a digital copy and I don't even have the DLC listed in in my PSN library (got a code from the publisher though so maybe the bonus stuff wasn't included with that).

TheGrue

Potentially dumb question, but how do you access the day-one bonus DLC stuff (gold block, slimy block etc.)? I unlocked the free build mode and was under the impression those recipes would at least show up there if not in story mode, but I don't see them anywhere.

Brad, I just wanted to let you know it is solely your fault I am addicted to this game after watching your Quick Look. I don't like Minecraft (it's a fine game, but I'm not into playing something where you make your own fun) and so I figured I could safely ignore this and then watched you play and gave the demo a try. Luckily the Vita battery puts a hard limit on how long I can play.

I know on Vita I had to download something extra from the game (was actually 3 individual downloads besides the game), but I'm not into free build mode, so no idea if they are there are no. Will give a look and report back.

Edit: Checked and I have the recipes for the those Day One items on my wheel. I'm in the third chapter right now, so no idea if it would have been there in Chapter 2. I'm guessing maybe your code didn't come with it.

Begaria

Chapter 4 is SO GOOD. Love how they just say,
"Nope, no building for you just yet. WE DRAGON QUEST 1 FOR A BIT then you can build."

After I almost gave up post chapter 1 because I didn't really anticipate
that I would have to start from scratch
CH2 is now sufficiently different for me to continue. Great game with a few minor annoyances. Why can't I build a specific amount of things. It's either 1 or as much as possible ... drives me mad.

So when I load a save for a previous chapter to go do challenges, how do I turn them all in?

I'm going to try the speed challenge for chapter 1 sometime soon, although it sounds like a huge pain. I already killed the dragons and did a few other challenges. Just need to do the garden and then speed run.

vypek

So when I load a save for a previous chapter to go do challenges, how do I turn them all in?

I'm going to try the speed challenge for chapter 1 sometime soon, although it sounds like a huge pain. I already killed the dragons and did a few other challenges. Just need to do the garden and then speed run.

When you walk into the light beam to end a chapter it will register the challenges you completed after your load.

You cannot complete challenges in a chapter savefile that was already completed. I tried. You have to start a new game in that chapter. It sucks.

Roubjon

You cannot complete challenges in a chapter savefile that was already completed. I tried. You have to start a new game in that chapter. It sucks.

I don't quite understand what you mean. I loaded my save file from after I beat the boss of Chapter 1, then killed the three dragons, then stepped into the portal, and I completed the challenge. Once I finish the game I'm going to load all of my post-boss save files and do all the challenges, obviously saving the day challenges for last.

This isn't true, except for the day related ones. You can load it up, complete the challenges, then finish the chapter as usual via the portal and it will count the challenges you completed.

I don't quite understand what you mean. I loaded my save file from after I beat the boss of Chapter 1, then killed the three dragons, then stepped into the portal, and I completed the challenge. Once I finish the game I'm going to load all of my post-boss save files and do all the challenges, obviously saving the day challenges for last.

This isn't true, except for the day related ones. You can load it up, complete the challenges, then finish the chapter as usual via the portal and it will count the challenges you completed.

The hell? I loaded up my chapter 1 savefile to get the garden challenge. I build the garden from the blueprint, went to the portal, and the end-of-chapter stats screen did not give me the challenge.

Ferr986

The hell? I loaded up my chapter 1 savefile to get the garden challenge. I build the garden from the blueprint, went to the portal, and the end-of-chapter stats screen did not give me the challenge.

You probably did the wrong garden, its not the one the hammerguys gives you.

Does anyone have any tips for positioning
the cannons
as a defense in chapter 3? No matter where I put them,
the splash damage ends up taking out the pressure plates and a lot of my defensive wall

vypek

I completed chapter 1 and 2. Has anyone made more than one of the devices that are used for the boss? So far I have just made one in each chapter. And curious if I'll be making multiple at some point. A little worried on that since I am doing the speed runs first.

I completed chapter 1 and 2. Has anyone made more than one of the devices that are used for the boss? So far I have just made one in each chapter. And curious if I'll be making multiple at some point. A little worried on that since I am doing the speed runs first.

If you just grind a bit you can make tons of bombs and shields for the first boss. Just kill lots of rock dudes to get their shards and make a ton of bombs, then blow up lots of mountains for diamonds and golems for golemite.

I'm almost to the second boss so I don't know about that one yet.

vypek

If you just grind a bit you can make tons of bombs and shields for the first boss. Just kill lots of rock dudes to get their shards and make a ton of bombs, then blow up lots of mountains for diamonds and golems for golemite.

I'm almost to the second boss so I don't know about that one yet.

Ah, I see. I just used the one shield. Didn't even consider using multiple.

Dig an irrigation canal from a water source. It's just spaces filled with water, you don't actually craft water blocks.

Don't bother with the canal. The recipe works with the body of water that is near your town anyways. I believe its the body of water with trees and its very close to where you start the game when you step outside.

oktarb

Anyone know a way to get water to the second floor? Water blocks only work below ground level and buckets do not act like MC buckets.

johnsmith

remember me
Oh so I don't need to build it inside the confine of my base?

Also, how do you get the blueprint?
No blueprint. Requirements from gamefaqs

For the water, you can either build it near a water source thats already present since you can build rooms outside the light area (tho it won't contribute to town level), or dig a channel from some water to your town. If you decide to go the channel route, be careful of flooding.

As for the recipe itself you need:

1 Tree, at least 3 blocks high.
10 flowers total, any color
5 grass (I used the thicker green type)
8 Water Tiles
1 Bench
1 Brazier

vypek

I'm very pleased when I make a room by accident. Yesterday I accidentally made a treasure room and also made a teleportal room as well.

No blueprint. Requirements from gamefaqs

Thank you

How can I dig a channel of water to my town? The town is above water level. Is there a way to make water go up in altitude?

Also, is there anything in the chapter that tells you how to build that garden? It would be weird for the game to have the garden as a challenge without leading the player to build it.

vypek

Thank you

How can I dig a channel of water to my town? The town is above water level. Is there a way to make water go up in altitude?

Also, is there anything in the chapter that tells you how to build that garden? It would be weird for the game to have the garden as a challenge without leading the player to build it.

If you really want to, I believe water appears if you go down deep enough but I can't confirm. I personally built my garden outside my town borders near some already existing water.

I didn't find anything in the chapter to build the garden so I'd be curious where it is. I wound up just looking it up and once you build something you get the reciple.

Would also like to note that I wish I could take newer recipes to older places. Like stuff from chapter 2 to chapter 1

Ventara

Just finished chapter 4. I really enjoyed the story of this game, which was something I wasn't expecting at all. Go gonna play around a bit in Terra and finish the challenges before giving my final thoughts.

Edit: Oh, and building second floors are awesome. Finally gave it a crack in chapter 4 and it looked great!

Hmm not sure I can complete the game. Last boss seems a pain. Wouldn't be too bad but if you die you gotta do the bit before all over again. Which is easy but it's just time consuming. Would have been better if they let you restart before the last boss. Don't have the patience to keep redoing a bit I've already done. Adding in to the unskipable dialogue. Very tedious. Really puts a downer on the whole game.

Parakeetman

If you really want to, I believe water appears if you go down deep enough but I can't confirm. I personally built my garden outside my town borders near some already existing water.

I didn't find anything in the chapter to build the garden so I'd be curious where it is. I wound up just looking it up and once you build something you get the reciple.

Would also like to note that I wish I could take newer recipes to older places. Like stuff from chapter 2 to chapter 1

In regards to water, dont think you can raise the level unless you have that specific item which appears in the third chapter. Otherwise you need to build a canal from an existing source of water.

Digging a hole will only get you to solid unbreakable bedrock. Unless there was an actual hollow space under that was filled with water.

ULTROS!

I need to know the song they played in the town of Kol.

dochuge

I think I have a LaRouche bug. He wants me to make a blacksmith room with a sconce, bag on the wall, and sign. I do that and I still have an exclamation mark over his head. Everyone applauded me on my efforts at upgrading this room but he remains unimpressed.

vypek

In regards to water, dont think you can raise the level unless you have that specific item which appears in the third chapter. Otherwise you need to build a canal from an existing source of water.

Digging a hole will only get you to solid unbreakable bedrock. Unless there was an actual hollow space under that was filled with water.

Oh okay. So it's just bedrock down there. Good to know.

I got the trophy for taking down 8 enemies at once with a bomb. Lol. Was pretty great

Delstius

I think I have a LaRouche bug. He wants me to make a blacksmith room with a sconce, bag on the wall, and sign. I do that and I still have an exclamation mark over his head. Everyone applauded me on my efforts at upgrading this room but he remains unimpressed.

I had the same issue during my speedrun, I think it was because of having a furnace already instead of the forge, had to downgrade it for the quest to validate.

Afrodium

Banned

I ran into this yesterday. Destroy your forge and he'll be happy. Take a guess what he immediately asks you to put in the workshop...

Top Bottom