• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest: Builders |OT| - "If you build it, they will come."

Starting the Final Chapter sure was an ordeal.
Surprised at how lengthy the intro quests for it was.
Really helped set the mood.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Unless specifically stated somewhere generally DLC are separated by platform.

Have not heard anything about this personally on my end so am unsure. Only thing we do know for sure about the game is that its not Cross Play compat due to save file size difference is what another user had found out.

I have seen games by Bandai Namco I think it was that had shared DLC codes where getting one will unlock it for the other platform. Though those titles were Cross Play compatible.

Ah thanks.
I'll pass on purchasing the code only then.

Ferr986

So Terra Gladiatora is only to get monster drops? Dunno why I was thinking there was exclusive recipes but so far I got nothing.

Finally just about done with the first chapter. The first boss freaked me out since the boss arena cut off some small bits of my base outside of the walls, like my crazy front gate and stuff. But thankfully the game put it all right back after I finished the battle.

Edit: oh, also, can anyone tell me where the last of the
three dragons
is in chapter one? I found the one in the starting area, and the one through the blue teleporter. Is it somewhere inside the red teleporter? Because I don't think I came across a
dragon
in the green one.

Any good places for getting wood on chapter 3?

I got the 5 pieces in the chest and grew the stumps but I think I'm 1 short for a second cannon after making the big chest and original cannon.

This chapter is quite tougher. Both in enemies and resource availability.

SkyOdin

Finally just about done with the first chapter. The first boss freaked me out since the boss arena cut off some small bits of my base outside of the walls, like my crazy front gate and stuff. But thankfully the game put it all right back after I finished the battle.

Edit: oh, also, can anyone tell me where the last of the
three dragons
is in chapter one? I found the one in the starting area, and the one through the blue teleporter. Is it somewhere inside the red teleporter? Because I don't think I came across a
dragon
in the green one.
Yeah, it is past the red teleportal. That island is surprisingly large past the desert.
Any good places for getting wood on chapter 3?

I got the 5 pieces in the chest and grew the stumps but I think I'm 1 short for a second cannon after making the big chest and original cannon.

This chapter is quite tougher. Both in enemies and resource availability.
Best choice is to just farm trees from stumps. If you let a tree grow for two days, it will drop two wood and leave a new stump which can be turned into a sapling. If you plant five trees on one day and another five the next, you can harvest ten wood a day if you keep replanting as you harvest.

Yeah, it is past the red teleportal. That island is surprisingly large past the desert.

Best choice is to just farm trees from stumps. If you let a tree grow for two days, it will drop two wood and leave a new stump which can be turned into a sapling. If you plant five trees on one day and another five the next, you can harvest ten wood a day if you keep replanting as you harvest.

Damn. Must have harvested them too early. I never got another sapling :((

Hope there's still some stumps somewhere I can collect :/

Free build question.

is there any way to make a dedicated room for the forbidden alter? Kinda like the other dedicated crafting rooms, 'Stonemansons studio' ect?

Roubjon

This and Bloodborne are the two best games I've played all year. I can't believe how addicting this is, I could easily play this for an entire day straight.

Encountered a game breaking glitch early in chapter 2 so be careful if that's where you're at.

The first npc asks you to find a sick person right after you build the sick room. I had done lots of exploring before this task and actually brought 2 sick people back to town. Unfortunately, this seems to have glitched the actual quest as there is no sick person at the quest location, and the other 2 sick people I have are not triggering her request. I loaded up my first save about 10 minutes in to the chapter and sure enough, there was the sick person at the quest spot. Lost about 3 hours of play there. When I actually have the desire to play this game again after this, I'm wondering if I should just stick to the script instead of exploring because shit like this just ruins the game.

SkyOdin

Encountered a game breaking glitch early in chapter 2 so be careful if that's where you're at.

The first npc asks you to find a sick person right after you build the sick room. I had done lots of exploring before this task and actually brought 2 sick people back to town. Unfortunately, this seems to have glitched the actual quest as there is no sick person at the quest location, and the other 2 sick people I have are not triggering her request. I loaded up my first save about 10 minutes in to the chapter and sure enough, there was the sick person at the quest spot. Lost about 3 hours of play there. When I actually have the desire to play this game again after this, I'm wondering if I should just stick to the script instead of exploring because shit like this just ruins the game.
It doesn't glitch out there in any serious way. I found that person there early too, and I was able to complete the quest without any difficulties. The quest marker being at that location doesn't effect the quest progression any. What the quest is asking is for you to heal the patient, not find her. You didn't need to reset there.

I assure you, I haven't encountered any bugs in the game that would stop your ability to progress. The worst I've seen are just a couple unclear requests.

Chapter 2 question:

I just got the recipe for wood cladding. Is it worth using it on my town walls or am I going to end up getting something stronger later, like stone?

johnsmith

remember me
Chapter 2 question:

I just got the recipe for wood cladding. Is it worth using it on my town walls or am I going to end up getting something stronger later, like stone?

Wood is too weak for a town wall. Obsidian is the best choice, natural stone like sandstone or stone walls/floors are the 2nd best.

If you want to compare strength just count how many swings it takes you to destroy a material.

Wood is too weak for a town wall. Obsidian is the best choice, natural stone like sandstone or stone walls/floors are the 2nd best.

Interesting. I used a lot of castle wall and foundation in the first chapter. How does that compare to sandstone in terms of strength? Not that I expect to find castle wall in chapter 2.

johnsmith

remember me
Interesting. I used a lot of castle wall and foundation in the first chapter. How does that compare to sandstone in terms of strength? Not that I expect to find castle wall in chapter 2.
Just tested real quick. Castle walls, stone walls, and sandstone, and pebblestone are all equally strong. Fortress walls are stronger while brick walls are weaker.

Just tested real quick. Castle walls, stone walls, and sandstone, and pebblestone are all equally strong. Fortress walls are stronger while brick walls are weaker.

Interesting. I haven't run across fortress walls yet. I'm surprised that pebblestone is as strong as castle wall, though.

johnsmith

remember me
I don't believe this is true. Regular enemies (i.e. hammerhoods) are unable to break wood in chapter 2, but they can break brick.

I tested the player weapons and they were equal strength. I suppose monster attacks could have different modifiers for different materials.

Obsidian is strongest for holding up against attacks. Fortress walls rank just under that with stone, castle and flagstone being about the same.
Wood and brick are equal.

hongcha

Chapter 3 is a significant jump in difficulty. Very hard to get basic stuff you need to survive. I've gotten the first portal and things are a bit easier now, but the first part was a pain.

Delstius

Is the vita version okay? Not finding reviews focused on the vita. Think I would rather have this game on a hand held. Txs

I'm playing it on vita without any issue, the draw distance and the frame rate while inferior are still decent. A good trade-off for having it on the go imo.

Chapter 3 is a significant jump in difficulty. Very hard to get basic stuff you need to survive. I've gotten the first portal and things are a bit easier now, but the first part was a pain.

I like how the difficulty increase in the beginning of each chapter along with the total change of settings. Chapter 3 was about doing enough quest at first instead of taking your time in my experience though, mainly because of the lack of food.

SkyOdin

I tested the player weapons and they were equal strength. I suppose monster attacks could have different modifiers for different materials.
Player attacks and monster attacks are completely different. They use an entirely different system to determine damage.

If you pay attention, monsters don't actually do damage to walls like the player does. Instead of wearing blocks down, they so a simple "can I break this?" check, and will either destroy the block in a single hit or never be able to break through it.

Now, I've seen hammerhoods chew through brick walls as easily as dirt. On the other hand, I have seen hammerhoods be stopped dead in their tracks time and again by wood. Worked wood is pretty similar to worked stone and castle walls: it will keep out lesser threats auch as hammerhoods, but will be damaged by larger knights and other strong enemy types.

A good example of the difference between player damage and enemy damage is the barricade. Barricades can be easily taken down with a couple hammer blows, but they are capable of resisting attacks that would destroy stone walls.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Where am I supposed to catch cod in ch.2? I know that dude said the coast of the prickly wilds but all I'm catching is fucking sardines no matter where I fish.

Register

Banned
Will I have access to stone-based building blocks (flagstone and stonewall) in chapter 2? I get the feeling I'm locked out of those now and are supposed to use wood.

Opa-Pa

Got this today on Vita and can confirm it's a very good port. It looks good, controls as it should and runs at what looks like very stable 30 fps.

This is my very first DQ game, I had my doubts about getting into the series with a spin off like this but the demo was so much fun that I couldn't resist. It's pretty cute and addictive, I only put it down because my battery ran out haha.

Last thing I did was make a bronze sword and leather armor after getting a forge. Can't wait to play some more tomorrow.

Just finished the Story and I really enjoyed it. Spent about ~40 hours with the game and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I didn't expect the bosses in the game to be enjoyable but all of them felt distinct enough and I loved the final section. I doubt I'll be doing the Free Build mode since my motivation to build in these games only comes from quests. Overall I think the game's fantastic and I hope we get a sequel. An online multiplayer mode on top of a new story would put me over the moon.

Make sure you team up with some of your townsfolk for missions when you get the teleportals. Otherwise it all gets way too much to handle alone. Some very tough enemies on this level for just yourself.

Maiar_m

Bought on vita after some EasyAllis streams, boy is this addictive. I'm building way too much with dirt before advancing the story and the better material recipes, it'll be a chore to upgrade everything, but I just can't. Stop. Building.

Bought on vita after some EasyAllis streams, boy is this addictive. I'm building way too much with dirt before advancing the story and the better material recipes, it'll be a chore to upgrade everything, but I just can't. Stop. Building.

As you play you'll be able to convert certain blocks into cladding which transforms dirt blocks to that type of block. There's also flooring which does the same thing for the ground. Feels good to use those and turn my dirt city into a stone city with next to no effort.

Yeah Chapter 3 expects you to bring most of your townspeople with you to complete quests. The enemies in that chapter are super strong.

Ferr986

Roofs are a pain in the ass to place in a house.

Loved Ch.1 and 2, but 3 is a tad annoying so far. Still fun, but more annoying.

It has more focus on combat, and fields are tuned so you get NPCs with you on the fields, but we all know how NPCs can be stupid, agroing everything and getting lost. Worst part is that if they get losts and oyu keep going, unlike free mode, when you teleport back to your base he stays at the island, so you have to take his ass to your base manually.

Dumb question, but do items restock in world? For example, let's go to some mountain to destroy it so I can have a lot of earth do build things. Does that earth restock in world? I'm worried about destroying everything and not having enough to build things.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Dumb question, but do items restock in world? For example, let's go to some mountain to destroy it so I can have a lot of earth do build things. Does that earth restock in world? I'm worried about destroying everything and not having enough to build things.

Nope

Ferr986

Fuck me, I did my town walls of brik cladding but I noticed even the hammer bros can break it (how in the fuck they can break brick but not wood in Ch.2?). Anyways, not I discovered you can go brick to stone cladding. Silly me....

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I just made it to the second chapter... starting from scratch is a bit of a bummer, especially since I don't yet have the chest that allows for expanded inventory. Also, I'm having trouble finding items to cook food with (I just built the infirmary so I only really begun the chapter).

This game is really a lot of fun, I like how there's much more of a direction (with a chance to get creative) than something like Minecraft. And the level of nostalgia is off the charts, hearing the DQ4 chapter 5 overworld when you get to Rimuldar is awesome. As is the whole conceit of the game "what if you chose to join the Dragonlord at the end of DQ1?".

Also a shout out to the translation, I like how it's not excessively overboard with the puns and accents, but it still has a sense of humor (humour?) about it. And that they kept the Dragon Warrior 1 names.

Ferr986

The spanish translation is fantastic too. I don't think it's very faithful to the original, but god it's hilarious (in a good way).

hongcha

Make sure you team up with some of your townsfolk for missions when you get the teleportals. Otherwise it all gets way too much to handle alone. Some very tough enemies on this level for just yourself.

Yeah, so far I have played the chapter solo and I am nearly at the second portal (I think). For a good part of that I had no armor, because there was no coarse cloth anywhere, and nearly no healing items. Enemies were really strong. Tough, but doable. Sorta reminded me of old NES games I grew up with: Rygar, Zelda II, Wizards & Warriors, etc.

Woah chapter 4 changes it up again.

Think this level is going to be quite a struggle. Especially just to get up and running with the basics.

Glad ch3 is done. Think that was the weakest by far. Not really keen on the bosses I have to say. They seem to have pretty crappy mechanics.

Also would have been nice to select exactly how many of the item you'd like to build. It's 1 or all with no middle ground.

I think a sequel could really refine the core game further with great improvements that this one falls down on. But what they have is a great game that just need a little fine tuning.

Ferr986

Another Chapter 2 question:

I've found a brick something-or-other in the wilderness with a lock on the door. Where is the key?

You can craft them later.

Btw, I have a problem with free mode. Suposedly you can have up to 13 NPCs, but in my game they cap at 7. After 7 no new NPCs appears no matter what.

Top Bottom