• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X |OT| Import Solution Found

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I like this screen.
dqx12.jpg

Game world has its moments it seems.

Aeana

Fuck, those forest enemies with hammers are strong. I keep getting aggro'd.
They won't aggro once you reach a certain level. I think 4 or so. But you learned heal (ホイミ) at level 2 and you can rest for free at your house.

This offline portion sucks so far. :p
I liked it a lot personally.

Maybe you can throw this into Google Translate to get tips on what to do next:
http://dqff.sakura.ne.jp/dq10/3b656575c130e330fc30c830/2e7a5e98/aa30fc30d730cb30f330b030.html

Aeana

What's that site all about? I can't make sense of it.
It's a step-by-step list of things to do to advance the story. When you see something like (E-6), that's a map cell which you can see by opening up the map. It tells you where to go, who to talk to, etc.

Espresso

Banned
Well, I'm in a cave now. Am I going the right way? I still can't figure out what that site means when it's translated.

I ahven't been leveling up, just running through the fields and dodging aggro.

Aeana

Well, I'm in a cave now. Am I going the right way? I still can't figure out what that site means when it's translated.

I ahven't been leveling up, just running through the fields and dodging aggro.
If you haven't met your sibling, then no you are not going the right way.

Gloam

I didn't see anybody in either field 1 or field 2. Hm. How do I warp outta here?

If you're at a high enough level you'll have an evacuate spell. If not, you'll have to walk back. Your sibling is to the east in the middle of the first field.

Aeana

This boss is hard and cheap.

Does gold carry over to online mode or can I blow it all on upgrades now?
It doesn't carry over.
Boss should be easy if you just cast リホイミ on yourself. I beat him handily at level 8.

Espresso

Banned
I'm at the fountain of the five tribes. Is there a way to save my game now and turn off the Wii? It's almost dinner time.

Espresso

Banned
GOD DAMN IT. My controller and Wiimote went into an endless tailspin when I switched channels to check the time. Then I tried to press the home button to fix it and my Wii reset. I just lost 4+ hours of offline work.

How do you save your game?

urfe

Are people playing (importing) this game without knowing Japanese?

You have dedication to the series my friends. Godspeed.

(Although you could probably learn basic grammar in about 6 months... :))

Aeana

GOD DAMN IT. My controller and Wiimote went into an endless tailspin when I switched channels to check the time. Then I tried to press the home button to fix it and my Wii reset. I just lost 4+ hours of offline work.

How do you save your game?

You go to the church! In offline mode, it saves just like a normal DQ. Online, it just changes your binding point for where you revive when you die.

Yeah, I think it's gonna be a hard road for people who can't understand Japanese. At the very least, they should learn katakana. Minimum.
But I'll do my best to help people who need it.

Aeana

UA77M.jpg

These jerks are not to be trifled with - especially not by my poor little priest. They hit for 13-14 of her 45 HP each time, and they often summon friends, which is often either another one of them or a heal slime. Bad news. I had a pretty amazing battle with one and two heal slimes, got 37 exp for it but I won't be doing that again any time soon.

Gloam

This is me, pretty much. I took Japanese in secondary school and a little in college, but didn't keep up with speaking or reading after a time. Now my knowledge of the language is effectively zero, save for a few things. I've been finding the game difficult enough because of this, but I soldier on! I've beaten quite a few DQ games in Japanese so I recognize a lot of the spell names and stuff, which comes in handy. Quests have been the trickiest part for me so far.

The game does a nice job with scenic views at times.
subKc.jpg

Aeana

Just hit level 10 and got my first skill points! I actually had no idea this game had the skill point system until I was reading through the play guide last night. It's such a hard thing to decide where to put these first 3 points! 3 points in spear will give me +10 spear attack, which is fantastic. But +3 in sticks will give me +2% MP absorption, which is also pretty rad. (._. )

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Yeah that's the thing. Tarus followed that fate, as a couple hunded extra mp didn't get you much more than a single extra spell at high levels, but you had so much lower hp that Your survivability was low. Mana wall alleviated that somewhat as a blm, but most any other job you were at best a backup.

Maybe all this is moot though, object of the game is to become human again anyway (and theres reports of people already getting to that point in the game) and if you could switch between a race that's average on everything and one that is specialized it might not be too bad.

Yeah Ive already seen a lv 43 running around. There is lv 50 gear in the Bazaar too.

Just hit level 10 and got my first skill points! I actually had no idea this game had the skill point system until I was reading through the play guide last night. It's such a hard thing to decide where to put these first 3 points! 3 points in spear will give me +10 spear attack, which is fantastic. But +3 in sticks will give me +2% MP absorption, which is also pretty rad. (._. )

Truthfully Id say go for the stick skill, since equipping it when you log out at the tavern after registering yourself as an NPC will get you hired most def all the time.

Parakeetman, if I can supply you with mats for thief weapons + a fee, can you +2 me a swanky knife?

Edit: Thanks, muu. I assume these other codes are only good in Japan?

I can make you knives but will need the mats also your name and #. Since you cant send things through the post without people being registered in your friends list.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Game world has its moments it seems.

yeah, the areas even at the start are fun to wander around and there looks like there's going to be lots of fun exploration coming up

Anyways, having a rough time with one thing and another and a very heavy work load but i had two conf calls last night from 9pm until 1am so *claps hands in excited anticipation* I was all set to have the call on and me, chip in with my bits, then level away for 4 hours.

... :/

JCOM - the internet provider we happen to be on had a major outage. No internet from, ugh, 8:35 or so until near exactly 1am.

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAASTARDS.

I think it's still a pretty good sign in the uptick on the game that i was genuinely angry that my plan for an extended stint was cut short. Again, i'm still only a level 7 but the game had started to get a lot of fun. Japanese players as helpful as ever as well :)

The wife was actually curious as to whether (IF there is a Western release) the servers will be segregated. She's played on Western servers, Japanese servers and mixed over FF, WoW etc and she's pretty convinced that the attitude differences -in general- make mixed servers a largely bad idea (outside the designated ones for FF where the more serious FF'ers met). Anyone have any idea? I think the wife is picking her "maternity leave" game so she might well be popping up on DQX soon .... (last maternity it was Gears of War and Left4Dead :/ )

Gloam

How do you raise yourself/others? I wish my stupid party members would stop running up to the boss.

Some classes get a spell, like a 'mini zing'. Otherwise I'm not so sure, yggdrasil leaves aren't usually easy to come by in the early game.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Some classes get a spell, like a 'mini zing'. Otherwise I'm not so sure, yggdrasil leaves aren't usually easy to come by in the early game.

Im lv 32 and Ive only gotten 1 leaf so far and it was from a chest.

Unless you or a party member has the spell to raise the dead, its back to the home point.

Aeana

Just finished the tavern quest for getting support members and also being able to sell yourself out while you're offline. I registered myself since I'm gonna be unable to play for a couple of hours. I hope I get cool stuffs.

Just finished the tavern quest for getting support members and also being able to sell yourself out while you're offline. I registered myself since I'm gonna be unable to play for a couple of hours. I hope I get cool stuffs.
So are you enjoying this game any more (or less) than what you thought you would?

Aeana

What am I supposed to do here?
You have to have a Square Enix account to play. You can create it on the site here, or you can create a "quick" account in the game, it's one of the things it asks you about when you're setting it up. I'd advise just making a full one.

So are you enjoying this game any more (or less) than what you thought you would?
Well, it's more "DQ" than I initially expected, at least in the initial part. It seems that the story is going to thin out after the first part, but we'll see how it goes. As far as MMORPGs go, it has a lot of interesting design decisions that make it appealing, like being able to change servers whenever you want. I think that there's no way that the game really comes out favorably if approached as an MMORPG, though, which I think is something that would cause it to be rejected by western gamers. If you look at it more like a DQ game that's online, it seems much more interesting.

Aeana

Yes.
The reason for it is because a small ヤ (ya) turns チ (chi) into チャ (cha). If it's large, then it's チヤ (chiya) instead.

Aeana

Thank you, finally at the server select screen! Where are you guys?
I've been playing on server 14, but it doesn't matter since you can change servers whenever you want. I'm not playing right now though. I think Gloam usually plays on server 1.

Top Bottom