• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X |OT| Import Solution Found

Gloam

Thank you, finally at the server select screen! Where are you guys?

I'm in Server #1 at the moment.

EDIT: Strike that, I'm actually going to have to head, didn't realize how late it was here. Catch you guys tomorrow! Happy adventuring!

Well, it's more "DQ" than I initially expected, at least in the initial part. It seems that the story is going to thin out after the first part, but we'll see how it goes. As far as MMORPGs go, it has a lot of interesting design decisions that make it appealing, like being able to change servers whenever you want. I think that there's no way that the game really comes out favorably if approached as an MMORPG, though, which I think is something that would cause it to be rejected by western gamers. If you look at it more like a DQ game that's online, it seems much more interesting.
In a strange way, I had a feeling it would be sort of like this from the start.

Now I just have to hope the hopes that there will be an English version.

Espresso

Banned
Tap the ~ key on the keyboard to disable Japanese input when you're typing.

Thanks again!

By the way, why are there two levels listed here? (Am I even a thief?)

iKvxx.jpg

I wish I knew how to find a weapon. :p

Aeana

Thanks again!

By the way, why are there two levels listed here? (Am I even a thief?)

I wish I knew how to find a weapon. :p
One is your class's level and the bottom one is your fame level, which is raised by doing quests and stuff.

You should have started with a weapon in your inventory, no? My priest started with three - a spear, a stick and a pole.

Aeana

I'm really unsure about which tradeskill to take up. Parakeetman's got weapon blacksmithing covered, so that's good. The two alchemy ones sound interesting, and woodworking might be good for me as well. I don't think I'd get much use out of sewing as a priest, and I'm not sure I want to take up armor blacksmithing either, but then again I'm not sure if I'll be equipping heavy armor forever or not. I actually am not sure exactly how weight affects characters yet.

EDIT: Looking at recipes, I think I might go with lamp alchemy. You can enchant magical stuff, like magic and healing power, maximum MP, etc.
It'd be good since the other class I'm likely to play most is magician.

muu

Setting the Wii up now and looking for a spare USB key to use. Doubt I'll be able to get online till tomorrow.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I'm really unsure about which tradeskill to take up. Parakeetman's got weapon blacksmithing covered, so that's good. The two alchemy ones sound interesting, and woodworking might be good for me as well. I don't think I'd get much use out of sewing as a priest, and I'm not sure I want to take up armor blacksmithing either, but then again I'm not sure if I'll be equipping heavy armor forever or not. I actually am not sure exactly how weight affects characters yet.

EDIT: Looking at recipes, I think I might go with lamp alchemy. You can enchant magical stuff, like magic and healing power, maximum MP, etc.
It'd be good since the other class I'm likely to play most is magician.

You should be able to make a decent amount of cash later on as items with the extra status from the alchemy is what sells for the most in the bazaar. Though I hear the materials are rare / expensive.

Weight just effects if you are able to be pushed by the enemies or not. Which is why those that wear heavy armor work better as shields for the party keeping enemies away from casters.

Espresso

Banned
I love how /follow carries over into other zones and after battles. I feel like I'm
barely
starting to get the hang of it. Although I haven't figured out how to cheer on other players.

Parakeetman, what materials would I need to scrounge up in order to get a powerful knife (+2) synthed? I'm trying to save most of my gold for armor at the moment.

Varshes

I'm going to be grabbing another Wii, change the region and I'm ordering DQX now. Got the 16GB flash drive ready, just need to set up that VPN and I'll be on soon (I hope!)

Forever

Banned
I'm going to be grabbing another Wii, change the region and I'm ordering DQX now. Got the 16GB flash drive ready, just need to set up that VPN and I'll be on soon (I hope!)

Added you to the player list.

Attention All Players: If you're online, send me your code and your character name so that I can fill out the list in the OP.

Parakeetman

I love how /follow carries over into other zones and after battles. I feel like I'm
barely
starting to get the hang of it. Although I haven't figured out how to cheer on other players.

Parakeetman, what materials would I need to scrounge up in order to get a powerful knife (+2) synthed? I'm trying to save most of my gold for armor at the moment.

It depends on what level you are. Levels go 1 - 7 - 14 - 21 - 28 - 35. Mostly Iron or Silver is what I would need. Also 2 stars am not sure how to get it all the time. Have yet to get a 3 star item.

Espresso

Banned
It depends on what level you are. Levels go 1 - 7 - 14 - 21 - 28 - 35. Mostly Iron or Silver is what I would need. Also 2 stars am not sure how to get it all the time. Have yet to get a 3 star item.

I'm level 6.

Our first boss fight owned us.

Is there no way to rest a la FFXI to regain health?

Added you to the player list.

Attention All Players: If you're online, send me your code and your character name so that I can fill out the list in the OP.
I can't type Japanese so here's the best I can do:

muu

awesome... just signed up for vpntraffic and their Japan server appears to be down.

which service are you guys using & how reliable are they?

Forever

Banned
awesome... just signed up for vpntraffic and their Japan server appears to be down.

I think everyone else is on Overplay, which is twice as expensive, but has multiple server options so it should be more reliable.

Espresso

Banned

That's weird. I'm playing on vpntraffic right now. I hear Overplay and StrongVPN are good. Avoid HideMyAss, their "Japanese" server is really located in the US. lol

Aeana

Couldn't possibly be more satisfied with Overplay. Works great, and no lag or anything either.

muu

Guess I'll try overplay then, if the server stays unresponsive. Just got offline part started (holy crap at install time) so I probably won't get far enough to go online today anyhow.

Aeana

I really like how you can hire AI members and then choose whether to let them participate in battle. So you can have them on hand but they don't always have to be sucking up exp.

muu

Think I got overplay working finally. Reinstalled ddwrt over tomato, set up their ddwrt applet and downloading updates.
Still getting connection errors but I'm not sure if this is due to my connection or because servers are down for maintenance.

Aeana

It's probably just because the servers are down, but try going into the internet channel on the Wii to one of those "what's my IP?" sites and make sure that your Wii is connecting through the VPN.

Aeana

I somehow managed to get some exp/gold for having my character registered at the tavern while maintenance was going. Weird.

Also, wooow. Do not try to log into server 1 if you logged out at a tavern. Yikes.

EDIT: Also just noticed that if you go to the player site, you can see which players have your character out and what your current rewards are! Neat neat, don't have to log in to see that stuff.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Forever :

I'm playing as an Ogre -

char name is : ゴイルズ
Code is : VY089-704

Espresso

Banned
If anybody else wants to import, I have a $5 off coupon at Play Asia. Expires 4 October.

Guys, how do you form a party? Or at least hire NPCs?

Forever

Banned
One thing I'm curious about is where the character data is stored. Logic says it can't be stored locally for obvious reasons, and normally it's stored serverside; but since you can switch servers whenever that also seems to not fit here. I wonder how they arranged it as they did.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
You know, I think I might actually give this one a try, if it's more DQ than MMO. My best friend and brother would probably end up playing this with me which would be cool... now to hope it gets a US release, with a convenient pricing structure.

So, does this game have a developing plotline with a distinct, obvious ending to it?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
One thing I'm curious about is where the character data is stored. Logic says it can't be stored locally for obvious reasons, and normally it's stored serverside; but since you can switch servers whenever that also seems to not fit here. I wonder how they arranged it as they did.

Character data is an almost insignificant amount of data compared to all the other stuff you need to store in an MMO. They probably have a server that just handles that and routes the data to whichever game server your on at the moment.

Espresso

Banned
I just noticed that boss exp scales with your level. That's pretty cool. I don't think normal mobs do though.

I've had no trouble getting parties, luckily. People just keep on inviting me and then we do a boss run. Is there a cooldown period after fighting a boss?

muu

Tried the game out this morning, got far enough to know that it works. I think my alt FF11 character is forever lost due to switching regions on that account, but oh well... so long Hagette, you will not be missed.

pol202007-02-082019-29-42-62.jpg

So I am starting as an elven mage. I'll add people on the 1st page when I get back...

Name: フラ (shorthand for frumply, my normal mmo alias)
ID: DV007-776

btw, nice touch that you can see how many people have the same name as you when you start. There were 5 guys w/ my name. 20+ people used うおのめ and もりそば. Tons of longtime DQ fans are playing, after all.

Forever

Banned
^ Added to the list.

Character data is an almost insignificant amount of data compared to all the other stuff you need to store in an MMO. They probably have a server that just handles that and routes the data to whichever game server your on at the moment.

Interesting. It wouldn't work for every MMO but I like this approach a lot.

Espresso

Banned
It's a lousy design decision that you can't create mules unless you play through the annoying offline prologue again.

Parakeetman

It's a lousy design decision that you can't create mules unless you play through the annoying offline prologue again.

You can skip it and start from the race selection. It tells you this in a prompt when you make another character. So yeah reading is kind of important.

Though still will cost you 10G per item sent to other characters using the postal system. No idea what the time limit on items in another characters post is.

Top Bottom