• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X |OT| Import Solution Found

Aeana

They are presumably crafting materials. I've no idea what they're used for right now though. The gold fragment (おうごんのかけら) sounds especially valuable though. It might go for more on the bazaar than to an NPC.

Espresso

Banned
Gold, nice! I appreciate the translation. Yeah, I've been meaning to check out the bazaar, but I don't know where to look in Puklipo village.

BriBri

I'm waiting patiently for the UK Wii U version but I did pick up the DQX USB stick. A tad pricey but really well made. And a picture of a slime and a drakee!

Gloam

Just got 56 exp and 118 gold for support over night. Neat.

Wow! I'll have to do that from now on. Haven't had a chance to play today but will hopefully get on later tonight. The weekend will be a DQ10-stravaganza for me!

urfe

I'm torn between this today and picking up a 3DS LL.

Any good arguments for not waiting for the WiiU version?

Espresso

Banned
Can somebody tell me what the numbers at the end of the row mean?

B3Prq.jpg

Aeana

The economy in this game is really in the tank. I can't even do this first lamp alchemy quest because it requires a piece of upper or lower body equipment with at least one star on it, and the absolute cheapest level 1 equipment with at least one star on it on the bazaar is 220G, and I only have 348. Like I'm going to buy low level equipment for that much. :|

It's making me rethink lamp alchemy, too, if everything requires a star to be enchanted. That means it'd have to come from players, and they're not going to sell anything for decent money at all. The game is starting to go the way of FF11 in the early days already; I'm getting worried.

EDIT: There's a merchant who sells one-star level 1 equipment, only going as low as 150G, so I don't know if it's necessarily the players' fault after all. I've heard lots of complaints from other players about how the amount of gold given by the game for various tasks is way, way too low.

Varshes

Added you to the player list.

Thanks!

My copy has shipped, I'm waiting for blue Wii to come in, so I'm almost there.

I haven't modded my Wii in some time, is it true that all firmware versions are moddable now? Just in case this Wii has 4.3 installed.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
The economy in this game is really in the tank. I can't even do this first lamp alchemy quest because it requires a piece of upper or lower body equipment with at least one star on it, and the absolute cheapest level 1 equipment with at least one star on it on the bazaar is 220G, and I only have 348. Like I'm going to buy low level equipment for that much. :|

It's making me rethink lamp alchemy, too, if everything requires a star to be enchanted. That means it'd have to come from players, and they're not going to sell anything for decent money at all. The game is starting to go the way of FF11 in the early days already; I'm getting worried.

EDIT: There's a merchant who sells one-star level 1 equipment, only going as low as 150G, so I don't know if it's necessarily the players' fault after all. I've heard lots of complaints from other players about how the amount of gold given by the game for various tasks is way, way too low.

Trust me its the players fault. Ive been playing from day one and watched everything go to shit in real time since. Idiots just keep on making the prices lower and lower and lower and lower. Hardly any of them consider the cost vs. profit earned for crafted stuff. Also included is time vs. # of items harvested factor also. Not good. If it continues at this rate, we might as well be selling crap to the merchants instead at least that wont involve waiting. :/

The lamp crafting job Id imagine is going to be a more endgame sorta use. The problem is getting it to that level since part of the issues is exactly what you had mentioned unfortunately.

Aeana

Trust me its the players fault. Ive been playing from day one and watched everything go to shit in real time since. Idiots just keep on making the prices lower and lower and lower and lower. Hardly any of them consider the cost vs. profit earned for crafted stuff. Also included is time vs. # of items harvested factor also. Not good. If it continues at this rate, we might as well be selling crap to the merchants instead. :/

It sounds like you're describing a different problem than I am. It sounds like you're saying "idiots" are pricing things too low? And I'm complaining about everything being too expensive! I just barely was able to afford to make it through the first lamp alchemy quest just now.

Parakeetman

It sounds like you're describing a different problem than I am. It sounds like you're saying "idiots" are pricing things too low? And I'm complaining about everything being too expensive! I just barely was able to afford to make it through the first lamp alchemy quest just now.

Money making is a huge issue and its due to all items being made worthless to sell. Prices of equipment is way lower than what it used to be also. Besides the higher level + stats stuff that was done by the ツボ alchemy which adds to the physical stats of def or attack.
But at least with the way things were items would sell for more reasonable levels allowing you to afford things.

For buying stuff you are actually better off now but thats only if you have money, which ties into the problem of the bazaar prices being screwed up and so low that it takes a lot longer to actually build up any sort of real cash to get yourself some decent kit.

For example cotton a stack of 10 used to sell from originally 1700 - 2000, then dropped to 1000, now its 600 and lower depending.

The only thing where the price has not dropped too much would be metals for some reason. Though for the most part sometimes the prices stay the same as if you would have bought it from the vendors.

This game in general money is made through the bazaar. Or if you want to waste your genkidama and constantly grind the 30 minutes in a zone that you know has easy to kill, multiple enemies 2-3 in a single fight. Even with that you might make about 2-3k tops during that time. Fighting for long periods of time will unfortunately not fill the coffers all that much. Even the lv 30 enemies dont drop all that much cash.

If you get lucky you find that golden fragment which sells for 200 or 300? I think, though its an alchemy component. Then there are the colored gems which are 600. Pearls are 200. Both of which are used for crafting in general. Whenever I find those in chests or dropped at random from battles I usually sell them just for quick cash. The gems can be bought at a vendor but cost around 1.2k a piece I do believe.

muu

There must be easier farming w/ certain high level characters that you're missing out on. Parakeetman's just commenting on the general scheme of things where people are shitting out money so they can get ahead on the crafting biz -- not an unusual thing per se.

There's usually a breaking point in cost, so you could always just buy items when they're low and reinsert to AH at a higher price -- once stock dries up it'll sell higher and you make a profit.

Probably way too early to call the economy broken, though; shakeups are bound to happen for a couple weeks until things stabilize, if you can figure out what sells this is likely also the best time to make some easy money.

Parakeetman

There must be easier farming w/ certain high level characters that you're missing out on. Parakeetman's just commenting on the general scheme of things where people are shitting out money so they can get ahead on the crafting biz -- not an unusual thing per se.

There's usually a breaking point in cost, so you could always just buy items when they're low and reinsert to AH at a higher price -- once stock dries up it'll sell higher and you make a profit.

Probably way too early to call the economy broken, though; shakeups are bound to happen for a couple weeks until things stabilize, if you can figure out what sells this is likely also the best time to make some easy money.

Right now there isnt anything that makes easy money as most components have hit rock bottom. With how its difficult to make $$$ for everyone nothing is really selling either. Also what you suggest with trying to control the market isnt going to work unless you are sitting on a ton of gold which isnt likely. Even then with how fast the prices drop, the circle will just repeat itself with folks doing the "count down" with prices trying to beat eachother and unless you want to keep trying to buy out all of their stuff to control the market, yeah not going to happen.

The max level guys are farming higher level items and finding crafting recipes but the problem is they are putting the cost at 5-6 digit levels.

Generally you are losing money if you are selling items crafted when you consider the components used.

I say the economy is broken currently because its hit rock bottom pretty fast. Any lower with some of the things on there and you are getting equal to prices of NPC vendor buyback, which you know as with most MMO = gamestop buyback prices.

One thing that Id imagine will change the price of materials will be when the furniture crafting is introduced and wood prices will shoot up as people who were either waiting or have a 2nd character ready go and rush to level up their skill.

Overall this is a result of most players having money problems then just trying to beat out the next guy in prices where its keep dropping the value of items till its stupid low. Its literally counting down.

The only thing where the price has not dropped too bad is metals. But then again you can still buy those from the vendor also in worst case scenarios so unless the price is really cheap for the most part it doesnt move all that often or equals the vendors price. So what you wind up with is people hanging around in the blacksmithing quarters in the ogre town which seems to have wound up being the main hub for everyone and peddling minerals in real time at lower prices.

There are some smaller things you can attempt to make $$$ doing, but really you wind up wasting a lot more time than anything trying to get a rare drop off of a monster by constantly grinding them even with the use of multiple thieves. Ive done it on one enemy type in the attempt to go after the bastard sword it drops, which isnt very often. For the low amount of exp + time invested for the potential payoff just isnt worth it.

Asides from the economy being fubar the game is great though. My friend managed to turn himself back to a human, but he said the last fight in the quest chain to do it was pretty crazy for him at lv 37. I really like how the whole quest to become a human again takes you to all of the continents so you are able to see the world.

In closing the money issue is something that effects everyone. For myself since my current kit Im wearing can beat standard lv 35 gear in terms of defense its not that Im really in any rush to purchase things, besides upgrading my weapon. The recipes for the higher level unlisted weapons Id be better off trying to farm myself than blow that much cash on.

Espresso

Banned
Just my level 7 helm cost me 300 gold. A whole set's just too damn expensive. I'll be lucky to afford my breastplate and then a new weapon. Good low level gear's still out of reach for most newbies. I checked out the NPC salesmen in the second town (the one that has confectionery everywhere) and pretty much everything is 1k gold up to 2k gold. Crazy.

Parakeetman

Just my level 7 helm cost me 300 gold. A whole set's just too damn expensive. I'll be lucky to afford my breastplate and then a new weapon. Good low level gear's still out of reach for most newbies. I checked out the NPC salesmen in the second town (the one that has confectionery everywhere) and pretty much everything is 1k gold up to 2k gold. Crazy.

You need to go and look at the bazaar more. Since buying stuff from the vendors usually is not the best solution for what you spend / get out of it. With how prices have dropped you can get 1 - 2 star items for a lot lower than what they used to be. That and the vendors are the standard price. As with any game you cant just waltz into a town and expect to buy things right away. Which is why you will see a lot of lower level characters even mid tier wearing a mishmash of equipment. Even I did for a while when working on getting my current set that Im wearing.

If you are just fighting monsters alone for the time being, its expected to not be able to afford things from the start as knowing they only drop from 1-6G per creature generally at your level. So with how the game is designed the 2nd town has the bazaar open they expect you to sell items there that you might have collected from all of your fights / found in the world during the effort to reach lv 7.

One thing I will tell you is defense is more important than offensive power.

Also gloves / boots do not add to defense. Its just head / chest / legs that do.
Boots / Gloves / Shield do add a small bit of defense. But to see exactly how much you need to do the detailed stats view with the Y button.

gloves = dexterity (not literal translation) - which effects rate of doing a surprise attack, being taken by surprise, critical rate

feet = speed - which effects the time taken for the command menu to show up in battle.

With that being said focus on the 3 main defense raising pieces first. The gloves and feet part you can worry about later. Though speed is important, but just get a standard pair as getting the + type of gear at that low of a level and you will be wasting money for the most part as you will grow out of it in no time.

Aeana

I finally got two things to sell on the bazaar, just stacks of materials I'd picked up since I started. So that got me a nice 1500G, which will give me a nice boost. I really want to put +MP absorption on stuff, but I need to level up my lamp alchemy to level 3 to use that enchant. Really disappointed to find that +MP absorption can ONLY go on sticks, though. The hell. :|

Parakeetman

I finally got two things to sell on the bazaar, just stacks of materials I'd picked up since I started. So that got me a nice 1500G, which will give me a nice boost. I really want to put +MP absorption on stuff, but I need to level up my lamp alchemy to level 3 to use that enchant.

That sounds pretty cool and do hope you manage to progress ok with that skill. As am sure it will pay off in the long run.

I so am hoping they either let us take a second job skill or at least quit our first totally to do another.

Gloam

Centuries ago, fairies imbued the wood with magical absorption properties, now this essence is stored within the lamp unfortunately the wood is the only thing that can handle such ancient power. Or something...

muu

Can you hire your own alts from the tavern? Might be a decent way of making some extra money over your entire acct and PLV'ing at the same time.

Espresso

Banned
Have you guys figured out how to make a guild yet?
I wish. It'd be nice to have somebody to talk to. :p

We need someone who's an armorsmith and then we can be unstoppable.
Is that different from blacksmith/goldsmith?

Can you hire your own alts from the tavern? Might be a decent way of making some extra money over your entire acct and PLV'ing at the same time.

Tavern? Where's that? I'd like to hire party members later to reach level 10.

P.S. Add me as your friend, fellas.

Aeana

Is that different from blacksmith/goldsmith?

Tavern? Where's that? I'd like to hire party members later to reach level 10.

P.S. Add me as your friend, fellas.
I think there's "blacksmithing - weapons" and "blacksmithing - armor," but I dunno. I just went straight for lamp alchemy.

As for the tavern, you need to go to your capital city to do the tavern quest.

Parakeetman

Is that different from blacksmith/goldsmith?.

There are 3 types of blacksmithing, which all count as separate trade skills so you only can pick one. Continent where the guild master is located on the side.

Weapon - Ogre
Armor - Dwarf
Crafting Tools (used for crafting) - Puklipo

Managed to level up twice so am now 35. Will be doing my 2nd class specific quest and get another useless piece of equipment that I most likely have outclassed with the gear Im currently wearing. Still need to level up to at least 40 to make it easier to blow through the rest of the story quests. Will just be a lot of grinding to do that.

Have you guys figured out how to make a guild yet?

Unfortunately no info on that yet. Perhaps it actually has not been implemented yet? Since yeah so far have not seen an NPC that actually talks about that sort of stuff.

Aeana

Partied with a friend on the beach near the weddy place, fighting man-o-wars. It was pretty fun, and the experience came in quickly. We had a few run-ins with slime knights and jaguar mages, which we definitely couldn't face and win. Almost level 14 now, but not quite.

Forever

Banned
Partied with a friend on the beach near the weddy place, fighting man-o-wars. It was pretty fun, and the experience came in quickly. We had a few run-ins with slime knights and jaguar mages, which we definitely couldn't face and win. Almost level 14 now, but not quite.

How do you like the game so far?

Espresso

Banned
I soloed back to level 10 as a warrior this time. It's much easier than as a thief, even with thief's heal spell. Although it's kinda weird that I haven't learned any magic or skills yet.

Those hooded archer enemies give 20P each, and they'll call their buddies into battle and 9 times out of 10 their arrows will miss, so they're great to grind out on.

The enemies outside of the confectionery town (the triple slimes) and in the "mushrooms in space" zone (dragons, demons) are TOUGH. I was running around the mushroom zone looking for mining points and saw a blue chest. Turns it was a mimic. It hit for 100+. They don't have circles to run outside of, so you're screwed if you pop one.

Also, I found the train station and ran around looking for a ticket booth, but couldn't find one. None of the NPCs inside would sell me a ticket either.

Aeana

I soloed back to level 10 as a warrior this time. It's much easier than as a thief, even with thief's heal spell. Although it's kinda weird that I haven't learned any magic or skills yet.

Those hooded archer enemies give 20P each, and they'll call their buddies into battle and 9 times out of 10 their arrows will miss, so they're great to grind out on.

The enemies outside of the confectionery town (the triple slimes) and in the "mushrooms in space" zone (dragons, demons) are TOUGH. I was running around the mushroom zone looking for mining points and saw a blue chest. Turns it was a mimic. It hit for 100+. They don't have circles to run outside of, so you're screwed if you pop one.

Also, I found the train station and ran around looking for a ticket booth, but couldn't find one. None of the NPCs inside would sell me a ticket either.
The person standing by the train lets you take a ride, but you need the train pass from fighting the first story boss to ride it.

Espresso

Banned
I'm missing so much by not speaking Japanese. :|

Where can I find the first story boss? I killed a boss already, it was in a spooky maze zone near Pupliko Village. It had a story sequence before and after, but I must have missed a trigger somewhere.

Aeana

I'm missing so much by not speaking Japanese. :|

Where can I find the first story boss? I killed a boss already, it was in a spooky maze zone near Pupliko Village. It had a story sequence before and after, but I must have missed a trigger somewhere.
You have to kill the boss and then return it to the village, part of the story quest. I don't know Pupliko stuff.

Aeana

I was just enchanting some leather pants with attack magic+5, and I landed on the パルプンテ area of the roulette and ended up making healing magic+5 instead. I couldn't possibly be happier right now!

As an aside, it seems like nobody enchants non-cloth armor with healing magic+ on the bazaar. Sigh. Guess I'll have to do it myself.
Weird thing though, and I guess this is what Parakeetman was talking about - equipment with stars but no enchantment costs more on the bazaar than the same equipment with an enchantment already on it! Crazy.

If something says かいふく魔力+5(ー4) does that mean it's really only effectively +1?

Espresso

Banned
I was just enchanting some leather pants with attack magic+5, and I landed on the パルプンテ area of the roulette and ended up making healing magic+5 instead. I couldn't possibly be happier right now!

Congrats!

If something says かいふく魔力+5(ー4) does that mean it's really only effectively +1?

Y'know I was wondering about that, too. I also saw some armor on the AH that was (2 stars, no +/-) and some armor that was (2 stars, +2). IIRC, they had the same defense. I don't get it. I was thinking that +1,+2, etc. meant +1,+2 stars.

Aeana

Congrats!

Y'know I was wondering about that, too. I also saw some armor on the AH that was (2 stars, no +/-) and some armor that was (2 stars, +2). IIRC, they had the same defense. I don't get it. I was thinking that +1,+2, etc. meant +1,+2 stars.
No, the stars are enchant slots and the +1, +2 etc. means how many actual enchants are on the item. So if an item is +1 but has two stars, then that means it has an open enchant slot.

My question was about the actual enchant on the item, which you can view by pressing y (classic controller) on the item.

Espresso

Banned
No, the stars are enchant slots and the +1, +2 etc. means how many actual enchants are on the item. So if an item is +1 but has two stars, then that means it has an open enchant slot.

My question was about the actual enchant on the item, which you can view by pressing y (classic controller) on the item.

Oh, that's interesting. Thanks for clearing that up.

Aeana

I wish my internet didn't totally tank at this hour. It's keeping me from being able to play, and has every night I've had the game. I really need to get the cable people out here to look at it. Oh well.

Top Bottom