• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Does anyone know if the preorder bonus is only Amazon or something? I preordered this thing since last year on Newegg and I don't see the bonus on the listing.

Newegg is notorious for not having pre-order bonuses. Even in instances where every pre-order copy is supposed to come with a bonus (Project X Zone). So, I'm not sure. If you really want the book, I'd recommend that you pre-order elsewhere.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Launch a coin!
Whatever the result preorder so you get the artbook!

I really don't like that image though, i would prefer one of these:

That's the beauty of it! I used that picture when I originally created it because the fact that her butt isn't the focus of the picture makes her all the more stoic and badass even though you know she still has the biggest ass of the characters.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Does anyone know if the preorder bonus is only Amazon or something? I preordered this thing since last year on Newegg and I don't see the bonus on the listing.
GameStop is included as well, & I think a few others. I think Atlus's site has the sites listed that SHOULD carry it.

daveo42

Banned
Nice OT OP. Picking it up for the Vita, but not sure how much time I'll have to play it in the coming weeks. Still need to finish SMT IV at least before starting this bad boy up.

Not even sure where I'll start. Prob either Fighter or Dwarf for teh melee.

Caerith

Well...speaking for myself...it's not only about the breasts or butts. Nevertheless (and, apologies if I'm misreading you here), I don't think any and all discussion of them is a disservice to the game. The sexy designs are certainly a part of the work.
Thank you, and I didn't mean to come across as if discouraging discussion of the art, just that some of the previous "debates" weren't exactly pretty and I'm sure everyone would be happier all around if we didn't revisit them. I mean, the picture of three burly dudes was pretty funny, but still.

That said, Team Hometown has a really strong showing today. Where's Team Life hiding?

Newegg should have it. There's an official site thingy with all the participating retailers and they're on it, but I wouldn't put money down if you're having doubts.

augmental

I've only seen the artbook advertised on GameStop and Amazon. I would contact Newegg since it says nothing about it on their site.

Astarte

Wow, it's like I'm the only person who's excited to play wizard. Blasting fools with magic, how can you not love that?

Deitus

I think it's evident that Kamitani and his team aren't cynically exploiting sexuality to try to sell games or whatever else; they're simply drawing what they genuinely love to draw. And, very unabashedly. To me, this itself is an unfolding, a development, a progression from the games of 20 years ago, alongside the innovations in technology, gameplay design, etc. The old games had at least hints of sexiness, and I had the impression that the artists were going as far as they were allowed to, but probably not as far as they might have chosen. To see these same artists now attaining full creative control is, to me, very inspiring. I would hope that anyone who values a wide range of artistic expression - in games, and in general - can appreciate that, even if these designs aren't their cup of tea.

I agree with you completely, but I'm glad the OP chose not to focus much on that in the OT. Far too many people have already written this game off as "that booby game", so it would be a shame if the OT confirmed their prejudices. There are probably a number of people who will simply not play the game on account of the Sorceress and Amazon's designs, and there is no point in trying to win those people over.

But I suspect there are even more people who might be interested in playing the game itself, but so much of the media surrounding this game has focused on boobs and butts that they don't actually know anything about the game itself. We don't want to make it seem like Kotaku was totally right about this game all along. It's not about hiding the sexiness (which the OP made no attempt to do). It's about making it clear that sexiness is not THE reason to play this game (it may or may not be A reason, depending on your personal preferences).

Lokbob

#TeamManlyBeard
#Throwingfoolsaround
tumblr_mk1w9n8lw61rt6ivugz.gif

Can't wait.

Pre ordered PS3 version today from VGP, fuck waiting (EU). Would have bought it on my US PSN, but I need that artbook

Turns out its even cheaper for me to import it than wait and buy it on release here, thank you currency rates

will be going with Amazon

Nymphae

Banned
a little expensive though. should be worth half the price

Why is that exactly? Looks like a reasonable price to me for what is included. I just learned about this game this week, I can't wait to pick this up now! Vita version for me, hopefully I can still get a version with the artbook too.

Dragoshi1

Anyone have videos of the english Elf narration?

I remember reading in the import thread about the narration from the Japanese version also being in english.

octagon69

Banned
Why is that exactly? Looks like a reasonable price to me for what is included. I just learned about this game this week, I can't wait to pick this up now! Vita version for me, hopefully I can still get a version with the artbook too.

This game, like all Vita games is overpriced. Will wait for 20$ and snap it up. This 40$ price point in the age of Steam is ridiculous.

It shows NewEgg on the website though, most never show that. Maybe it will have the artbook after all?

SMT4 came with it. But the copy of Project X Zone did not come as the LE from them, I guess it just varies from game to game.

Oh that's a very good point. I hope it does. Fingers crossed I guess... Gonna email newegg and see what they say.

I emailed them about Project X Zone and never got a response, I think I emailed Namco and they said that NewEgg only had the regular version. It's probably best to ask the publisher Atlus and not NewEgg since their customer service sucks ass.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
How does Cross-Save work? If I have PS+, does it just upload my save to the cloud so I can continue progress regardless of console? Or do I have to constantly plug in my Vita for download/upload saves?

Uh-oh, if Muramasa has more location variety, then does this game have just one background or something? :p

I've watched streams of this. This has less repetitive areas. I know what you're talking about, although it seems as though other people don't. lol

The screen after screen of the same area, and then having to backtrack right through it again...This game does not look like that. At least nothing I've seen of it. And I've watched about 6 out of the 9 levels(not counting B paths).

OSHAN

How does Cross-Save work? If I have PS+, does it just upload my save to the cloud so I can continue progress regardless of console? Or do I have to constantly plug in my Vita for download/upload saves?

Have to do it manually.

At the main menu for both versions, there is an upload save, and download save. I've been bouncing back and forth between versions, and it hasn't been an issue.

Play PS3 version, and after playing, return to main menu, and upload save.

Go into bedroom, take out Vita, select download save, and continue playing.

Kyoufu

The title screen menu has two options for this: Upload Data & Download Data.

I haven't got both versions but I assume it's simply a matter of uploading and downloading from the menu.

edit: beaten

Espada

Wow, it's like I'm the only person who's excited to play wizard. Blasting fools with magic, how can you not love that?

I'm most excited to play Wizard, Dwarf, and Fighter. In that order.
The reason why people don't really talk about the Wizard is probably because he's just your standard high fantasy wizard. He doesn't have Orbs of Mammon like Sorceress, mid-air twerk combos (Thanks Pat) like Amazon, Bad Guy Bowling like the Dwarf, or Asami Imai like the Elf.

I want to play as him because, as you said, nuking clowns with spectacular looking magic is fun as hell.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I was gonna go with #Team Life to start, but I think it's gonna be #Team Hometown instead.

You don't need PS+ for cross save and you don't need to plug the Vita into your PS3. There will be an option to upload the save and an option to download/sync available. Uploading/downloading saves for cross-save games only takes a second or two. :)

EDIT: Beaten up and down and all around.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I was gonna go with #Team Life to start, but I think it's gonna be #Team Hometown instead.

You don't need PS+ for cross save and you don't need to plug the Vita into your PS3. There will be an option to upload the save and an option to download/sync available. Uploading/downloading saves for cross-save games only takes a second or two. :)

EDIT: Beaten up and down and all around.

So wait, when I upload a save it just does it over wifi? Does the game have a server for storing personal game saves? Still a bit confused here...but I really like hearing that you need not plug in the Vita to the PS3!

Wizard looks so badass. Hell, they all do.

Especially once you level him up a bit :D I was destroying. Make sure to level up the mp gain speed and pool, along with defeating enemies that gain you mp. Helps keep your pool refilling fast and keep your casting high.

So wait, when I upload a save it just does it over wifi? Does the game have a server for storing personal game saves? Still a bit confused here...but I really like hearing that you need not plug in the Vita to the PS3!

It just touches their servers, uploads, and keeps the file on your system. Then you can download.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Nice theme to the OT! Love how it hints to the in-game narrative style, classy idea. And the best title image possible, lol.

Oh man, local play. Between this and Xillia, my little brother and I will be having a blast.

Same here, haha. A great day for Local Co-Op Play!!

Good OT. Won't add myself to the player list, but PS3 version for me I think.

Also, character touching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex133LSR6xE

This is the perfect throwback to D&D Arcade actually... you had to click the characters to continue with their conversation... afterwards, they'd tell the over-click happy player something about "please stop staring at me, it makes me uncomfortable..." or something to that effect.

I'm rather glad it's not over-done... I'm sure sales could have been boosted with some "grab and drag" perversion going on there...

I thought Guardian Heroes was overrated. It wouldn't take much for this game to top it. And art-wise, there's no question.

Back when GH came out, I think it put me in the most zombie-like state of any game I've ever played, before, or since. The idea of having everyone in the game available to play in VS, and the multiple story paths, still hasn't been matched at all, except maybe with the likes of something like Tobal 2.

DC Might top it in art (and even that's debatable... sharper and bolder, sure, but Han's less divisive character art gets in the way of talking about / enjoying the game a lot less), Campaign multiplayer number, overall polish / lore, and it might be the superior "From Point A to point B" experience...

...but the multiple paths and light-hearted aspects of this game don't look anywhere close to what GH had to offer. I still doubt it has the enemy character variety, either (though I bet it has much better boss battles!)

Basically... this game claims 120 hours to see everything. I might be required to do that for this, but I'd probably be more willingly do such with GH, without being forced to by leveling gimmicks and locked skills.

I used to zoom RIGHT to Wizards in games like this in the old days... but then they started to feel so under-developed compared to the fighters, once combo systems became more in-depth.

In this particular game, I have a hard time between wanting to go Ranged / Magic, or have some Melee... so the Elf is perfect for a first time :)

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Hey folks. I got the artbooks in my store and they are excellent. Nice quality and tons of artwork. If you didn't pre-order, you're going to miss out on them. =/

No, this is not an advertisement or anything. Just saying the book is good quality stuff.

RuGalz

I emailed them about Project X Zone and never got a response, I think I emailed Namco and they said that NewEgg only had the regular version. It's probably best to ask the publisher Atlus and not NewEgg since their customer service sucks ass.

I got a respond from Newegg they just tell me they ship whatever they got from the publisher... So I guess you are right, I need to email Atlus.

Vanille

I've watched streams of this. This has less repetitive areas. I know what you're talking about, although it seems as though other people don't. lol

The screen after screen of the same area, and then having to backtrack right through it again...This game does not look like that. At least nothing I've seen of it. And I've watched about 6 out of the 9 levels(not counting B paths).

You probably haven't watched enough, then. The only locations which really stand out are the lost woods, ghost ship cove, and the castle siege. And even then they use very similar color palettes. All of the indoor areas look incredibly similar, and there are a lot of them.

Muramasa at least has the snow area to shake things up visually. Dragon's Crown doesn't even have anything like that, sadly.

Emitan

However, online co-op is only available after progressing to a certain point in the story-- once you have cleared each stage's "A" path (you will be around level 17), you can go online. This same restriction is in place for local ("ad hoc") co-op with the Vita. There is no restriction for local co-op with the PS3.

Wow. This is a big fuck you to Vita owners for absolutely no reason. I know online was locked until a certain point but ad hoc play too? Why!?

Muramasa at least has the snow area to shake things up visually. Dragon's Crown doesn't even have anything like that, sadly.

After having completed the game, I simple don't agree.

Yes there is really no weather effects, though the forest, the ghost ship cove, the undead cathedral, the underground labyrinth, the orcs underground area, the mage tower, and each of these have secondary paths as well. I never felt it was too similar in my 16 hour playtime.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

Yup, it's all done over wifi; the game save is tied to your profile and is stored on PSN. It's like having a free cloud save. Makes switching from one platform to the other a snap and is why I love cross-buy/save/play stuff.

Top Bottom