• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

Yep you get to find warriors bones while playing, ressurect them, and you can have up to 3 other ai. If you don't want them, don't take them and in the tavern set it to no join.

Awesome. One of my complaints with most beat em' ups is that they're usually designed around multiplayer and the single player suffers because of that. Too many enemies ganging up on just you, and bosses with very difficult patterns.

I'll definitely be keeping this game in mind in the future. I've got kind of a massive backlog right now though, haha.

I am going today to preorder this game at gamestop. It reminds me of Golden Axe back in he day, and I loved that game... but... I have a question.

Is this the type of game that you can play over and over (like Diablo 2 or 3) and get different gear everytime? In other words, after you beat the game is there a reason to replay it again with your character, or is the idea to play each class?

I would really like to see some leveling of the characters over multiple play thrus. Also, is the artbook at gamestop a hardcover or paperback? Thanks for any help!

I am going today to preorder this game at gamestop. It reminds me of Golden Axe back in he day, and I loved that game... but... I have a question.

Is this the type of game that you can play over and over (like Diablo 2 or 3) and get different gear everytime? In other words, after you beat the game is there a reason to replay it again with your character, or is the idea to play each class?

I would really like to see some leveling of the characters over multiple play thrus. Also, is the artbook at gamestop a hardcover or paperback? Thanks for any help!

from the op

Completing Normal leads into Hard, and completing Hard leads into Infernal. Beyond Infernal, there is the Labyrinth of Chaos, a randomized dungeon with harder challenges, better loot, and a trophy.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Also, is the artbook at gamestop a hardcover or paperback? Thanks for any help!

Confirmed to be softcover!

Lookie what I got:

sexd.jpg

8jcc.jpg

bi5g.jpg

r8ky.jpg

4v0c.jpg

Can't wait to read all the posts about people complaining that this game is 2D and full price.

Also, that "stunned" pose for the Amazon. Wow. What does "Hometown" mean anyway?

from the op

THanks so much for the quick answer. I remember reading that people were saying you could not tell the difference between the armors as much.. or maybe it was the weapons. If true, that is a bummer. However the idea of continuing to play and level your toon for better gear is awesome.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Great OT!

Anyway, already pre-ordered the Vita version. I absolutely loved what I got to play of it at E3, so I'm stoked. Oddly enough, I kept forgetting that it was coming out, and that I had it pre-ordered until I checked my Amazon orders and saw it.

I'm torn on what class I want to play as though. I played the Amazon at E3 and really liked her, but I'm thinking of maybe Archer, Wizard, or Dwarf. I'll end up playing as them all anyway, in the end.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

One step at a time! Just having EVERYTHING playable was enough of a boon at the time, and the GBA sequel actually did allow you to play anyone (might have been some exceptions) through the story mode (explained as your PC being a spirit that took on the form of fallen heroes.)

Phantom Breaker Battlegrounds also has limited characters for story, but then allows any of the bonus characters to be played in Arcade of Co-Op modes. It had some help from members of the GH team, too, so I'm sure they'd have added such a feature, if it were to be made now...

"Modern" was just a way to try not to type another paragraph for me, lol. (Brevity, how do you work!) But I often find the things people dislike in GH are due to games growing in a different direction since then, if you know what I mean.

The only reason I find GH unsurpassable... is because no one else tried to do much of what I listed about it anymore. And when they do, it's generally a "catch up" to what it did, as opposed to meeting it, and then fleshing it out. This is largely due to the fact that games in the genre are limited to sub-20 buck downloadables; GH was a full retail release, and it embraced the idea of bring arcade-focused gameplay to a console level of replay-ability and depth.

And that's mostly because games are now console first, arcade-y second. Persistent leveling, hours-of-gameplay as a marketing tool.. these are console-speak. This is online friendly, and part of making a game feel like it's worth $50 / $60 from a fact sheet, as opposed to making it feel like it's worth your endless quarters, because of the rush you got in that first credit.

I get the idea DC is going to scratch my Monster Hunter / PSO V2 Gamecube itch, more than my Guardian Heroes itch, personally. I really hope it's successful enough to get people to give retail-resource Beat-em-ups a go again, though.

I'm just saying that one easy way to surpass the pedigree of GH is through implementation of a fully playable, large scaled roster alone. That alone would have been worth more than the branching storylines because I found the story or characters of GH to not be particularly compelling. I have and like Phantom Breaker a lot. Bought the DLC as well.

"Modern" often implies that one can't appreciate old-school games or must have a super refined and coddled experience. I merely wanted to correct any potential misunderstanding. I loved old school beat 'em ups. If you loved games as a kid in the early 90's, you kind of had to. I loved both arcade games and console games.

I'm not sure why you're dismissive of "persistent leveling" and "hours of gameplay" as "console-speak", as though that's some derogatory term. Gauntlet Legends had persistent leveling, and that was THE arcade game for a hot minute. In any case, I certainly don't think that console replayability is inherently better than arcade replayability. It's not as cut and dry as you're making it out to be. You make it sound as if persistent leveling and looting is some lesser or cheaper form of longevity for a title, whereas GH extended its life by allowing you to choose your own adventure. I got all of GH's endings in two days or so. I'm sure I'll be leveling and looting in DC for weeks, if not months. Heck, I felt the leveling system in Phantom Breaker provided more incentive for repeat playthroughs because of the variety.

Anyway, I'll leave it at this. GH was not a strong title in the aspects of action RPGs or beat 'em ups that I personally appreciate the most. I'd certainly like to see a return of beat 'em ups and action RPGs in general.

pariah164

I get the feeling I'm gonna have to play as a fighter first to get the feeling of the game before I can be awesome, busty sorceress.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Y'know, just from concept, the implementation of a Randomly generated Dungeon
Fungeon?!
in this game sounds like pure genius; like Horde Mode for RPG'em-Ups!

I'm just saying that one easy way to surpass the pedigree of GH is through implementation of a fully playable, large scaled roster alone. That alone would have been worth more than the branching storylines because I found the story or characters of GH to not be particularly compelling. I have and like Phantom Breaker a lot. Bought the DLC as well.

I wish someone would actually do it one of these days! We've shifted to a "make a small cast more playable" gamescape, rather than a "make a large cast of varied quality playable" thing in gaming, and while I understand why, I loved being abel to play someone like Nando in GH.

I can't say I'd trade the branches for all playable in story, but that's because I love the GH cast, sooo... (I'd love a GH-style "Slayers" game...)

"Modern" often implies that one can't appreciate old-school games or must have a super refined and coddled experience. I merely wanted to correct any potential misunderstanding. I loved old school beat 'em ups. If you loved games as a kid in the early 90's, you kind of had to. I loved both arcade games and console games.

I meant it to say... things like persistent saves and online-derived decisions on a games systems are very common to modern games. And it's the kind of things people expect as common now, whereas we wouldn't even dream of much of them in the past.

I'm not sure why you're dismissive of "persistent leveling" and "hours of gameplay" as "console-speak", as though that's some derogatory term. Gauntlet Legends had persistent leveling, and that was THE arcade game for a hot minute. In any case, I certainly don't think that console replayability is inherently better than arcade replayability. It's not as cut and dry as you're making it out to be. You make it sound as if persistent leveling and looting is some lesser or cheaper form of longevity for a title, whereas GH extended its life by allowing you to choose your own adventure. I got all of GH's endings in two days or so. I'm sure I'll be leveling and looting in DC for weeks, if not months. Heck, I felt the leveling system in Phantom Breaker provided more incentive for repeat playthroughs because of the variety.

Well, going to it's origins, these things are more of an "at home" consideration, rather than a "made for arcade" consideration. (though the lines have blurred much by now.)

For the sake of argument, I do find many modern console-derived decisions to be lower in overall *quality* than arcade-driven ones.

Though, in the end, I think both can be done well, and have their place. I'm always one for "quality" before "quantity" in games, but I think the current retail-priced games vastly prefer quantity, which I always find a bit of a bummer.

Much of what takes 6 hours in a console BEU / RPG Hybrid, would have been available credit 1 in an arcade game... the discovery was found through multi plays. Many a time, after all is said and done, I feel like many console-derived decisions are the equivalent of "Filler" in anime, VS reading the Manga; that the only reason it took so long to reach a certain point is not because it was best for the story or the dedicated gamer, but due to many other outside factors.

Phantom Breaker BG was such a nice treat. They did a great job bridging modern and classic ideals together, especially for the asking price (DLC included).

Anyway, I'll leave it at this. GH was not a strong title in the aspects of action RPGs or beat 'em ups that I personally appreciate the most.

Yeah, and that's fine :) I was just going on about why some of it is still unrivaled, and unmatched, to this day. I never knew how much I preferred GH's line-shift system, until I tried playing Castle Crashers VS mode... now even going back to D&D Arcade, the strengths of planes+fighting game motions seem stronger and stronger to me... and then Guilty Gear Isuka showed me how bad it could feel, too, if done wrong.

I've just gotten more appreciation for what it did right, as I see others try similar things, and fail, y'know? When GH came out on XBLA, it confirmed that I truly prefer these things, with no nostalgic-clouds. And the retooling / rebalancing was so in-depth, that it gave me confidence that they could make something new now, and do even better, if given a chance.

Dyno

I can't wack off without a lot of chaffing pain so I guess my body is ready!

I hope the week goes quickly!

Really nice OP! Well done!

atlusprime

Atlus PR
#teamdwarf all the way. He can summon a keg, which explodes after you throw it. So, yeah. That.

Also, the people worried about the game being too easy...ha. ha ha ha. Ha Ha Ha HA HA. Shouldn't be an issue.

pariah164

#teamdwarf all the way. He can summon a keg, which explodes after you throw it. So, yeah. That.

Also, the people worried about the game being too easy...ha. ha ha ha. Ha Ha Ha HA HA. Shouldn't be an issue.
I found Code of Princess tricky, so this game will probably be hard for me from the start.

pariah164

August 9th needs to get here. If GameStop mucks up my preorder in any way, I will rage.

Back to the topic, OP, did you consider posting links to the character videos?

Caerith

What is the size of the game (MB)? Wish that was a standard detail that they released and web sites put in there along with price, release date, etc...

I updated the OP with this, based on what I've seen from googling around:

Download Size:: 1582MB (PS3), 1133MB (PSV)

If these sizes are inaccurate, then please please please let me know so I can update the OP with the correct info.

mcmmaster

Imported a copy from videogameplus this morning and it's already been shipped out xD. Glad I decided to import instead of waiting for the late UK release

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I wish we got the hardcover art book. :(

As a freebie pre-order bonus to a game already selling under full retail price, I'm ok with Softcover. Not like most of the Japanese artbooks I have are even hardcover...

Of course, A full-retail price version that came in a nice premium box with a hardcover, thicker artbook (and maybe a soundtrack CD or something?) would have been great.

kyubajin

To all VGP importers, any notions of when will we get the game? I'm dying here! I used them to get Demon's Souls back in the day and it took like 2-3 weeks :_(

To all VGP importers, any notions of when will we get the game? I'm dying here! I used them to get Demon's Souls back in the day and it took like 2-3 weeks :_(

The last time I bought from them was a total clusterfuck. Mail lost my copy of Twisted Metal and it took a month and a half...

And now I'm stucked with this "pre-order processing" shit.

Oh, well...

Top Bottom