• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Best weapon so far:

8690185953_edde6e6c60_b.jpg

And a present from Death:

-------------------------

i1uH5Utiqaw1z.gif

I can't stop laughing. Hahahaha.

That was awesome. lol

Super duper easy way to kill Daimon's 2nd form:

Blast Arrows

Same goes for Death.

Kyoufu

Anyone figure out how the whole changing vocation thing affects what your items are purified into?

It's based on you and your main pawn.

If you're both from the Blue archetype (Magic) then you get Staves. Yellow gets daggers/bows and Red gets swords/shields I think.

I am not a fan of this.

edit: Those items are great. Well done.

Alucrid

Banned
It's based on you and your main pawn.

If you're both from the Blue archetype (Magic) then you get Staves. Yellow gets daggers/bows and Red gets swords/shields I think.

I am not a fan of this.

Ah. Does it go no deeper than that? Regardless of the combos I used I always seem to get get mystic knight rings while the weapon and gear will switch around a bit.

klee123

I'm having way too much fun with BBI.

Considering that I spent over 30 hours farming in post game everfall, I think I can spend even more time with BBI.

RangerBAD

God.

I don't mind the usual pawn chit-chat but they go all hyper when fighting a dragon. lol

How many times do I need to be reminded that the weak point to these dragons is the heart?

In Japanese without subtitles, I rarely know what they're telling me.

Is there any reason to go back to the base classes or rather a penalty?

I wanted to go to strider to try out some skills and stuff...but considering how the game is destroying me right now...not sure if good idea...

I do miss the arrow rain ability..shit was ace.

Jobbs

Banned

I wanted to go to strider to try out some skills and stuff...but considering how the game is destroying me right now...not sure if good idea...

I do miss the arrow rain ability..shit was ace.

If I recall, strider and ranger have the same or nearly the same stat growths. so there's no reason not to be a strider if that's what you want.

Eusis

It's annoying to re-equip everything and you may need yo tweak your Pawn's inclinations if you're changing them.

Otherwise... no, not really on the penalty side. REASONS though, well, you may want some unbought augments or the stay growth/equipment is more desirable, but otherwise it's not strictly necessary.

I finally had time to play tonight. I restarted with my exisisting character on Hard and cruised through some of the early quests. It's funny how much I remember although I haven't played in nearly a year. I have to be careful with this game, I don't have a lot of time and its easy to get sucked in. Dunno when I'll get to the extra content but I love this game. Sorry to anyone who rents my pawn Ulver. He was a viking warrior in vanilla DD but I redesigned him as a fey magician. If he does it anything stupid, I blame it on his being neglected for so long.

Anyone have some uber pawns that can carry me through the rest of BBI?

My pawns and I do like zero damage and all the pawns through random search are really bad.

All guardian/medicants when they aren't even mages with healing spells.

They do work pretty well vs him.

I am sad I still haven't gotten a level 3 short bow yet. I've got the longbow (so re-hire my pawn if anyone's using her, she's over 2k dmg now) but not the short bow.
I wish we could switch. I have the short bow and want the long.

I'm not sure if its a glitch or what but during the Daimon 2.0 fight, I've had his health lock up and not move. He'll be sitting there stun locked and his health bar shakes like I'm doing damage but it won't decrease. Its ruined two attempts in the last 4.

GorillaJu

Anyone have some uber pawns that can carry me through the rest of BBI?

My pawns and I do like zero damage and all the pawns through random search are really bad.

All guardian/medicants when they aren't even mages with healing spells.

Well I'm out of the house at the moment but my pawn does a good enough job of carrying my through BBI

You can add me: wild_whiskey if you're PSN. I don't think there's any way to confirm friend requests on iPhone but you can use Cherry later on when I get home.

GorillaJu

I wish we could switch. I have the short bow and want the long.

I'm not sure if its a glitch or what but during the Daimon 2.0 fight, I've had his health lock up and not move. He'll be sitting there stun locked and his health bar shakes like I'm doing damage but it won't decrease. Its ruined two attempts in the last 4.

I like Strider as a pawn more than Ranger so I want the short bow. They just seem more aggressive overall.

Grisby

Couldn't damage Death one bit. Just ran past him and killed the shielded knight guy. I'm liking the more involved bits of story here.

Also, the Forgotten (Fallen?) city seems pretty neat. Had to stop there because I had a long ass battle with an Ice dragon after coming back to that rotund. Just love it when the Dragons speak.

drbond

Neo Member
Having an absolute blast with Dark Arisen.

Just discovered the 2.0 version of hard mode within Bitterblack Isle; with my carried over level 195 main/pawn. Good lord, I am in love with this game all over again!

Hard mode Bitterblack Isle content the first time was ridiculous, with some of the 1/2 shotting going on (getting fatally clotheslined, dropkicked, or Maelstrom-shoryuken'd into the sky). Hard mode 2.0 of this dungeon gets even more ridiculous. Already down 4-5 levels down. Sheesh!

I'm curious to find out what level you guys are doing 2.0 hard mode Isle runs at. I'm also curious to find out if you get any kind of unique drops off, 'you-know-who' (2.0 version, hard mode).

Revan

So, I'm a level 87 Assassin in DD vanilla and have been playing it to get the platinum before moving onto DD:DA (already bought on PSN, just need to dl/install).

Before I do so I have a couple of questions that hopefully someone can answer me.

1. On the save import, does it automatically start you in NG+ and in Cassardis? Or does it pick up right where you left off?

2. In regards to BBI - does it level scale to when you first get to the island or when you import the save? Based off of everything I'm reading it's brutally difficult and I won't lie, I'd like to start it lower then level 100 if I can (I hardly have time to play and I don't wanna be so frustrated that I up and walk away from such a fantastic game).

3. Is there a complete list of changes between DD and DA anywhere (I've search and so far have come up with sweet fuck all). I know the Assassin was nerfed, but was anything else changed with all the different vocations?

I have to say - I picked this up at launch, played it for a bit, dropped it and didn't touch it until about a month ago. HO-LEE SHIT am I hooked. Best game I've played in a long long time.

Just love it when the Dragons speak.
have you fought the ice dragon in the Water Gods Altar? Hes way more introspective and philosophical than any of the other ones. I almost feel bad killing him (almost)
I'm curious to find out what level you guys are doing 2.0 hard mode Isle runs at. I'm also curious to find out if you get any kind of unique drops off, 'you-know-who' (2.0 version, hard mode).
I'm at 141 right now, but I started BBI at 85. Once you start farming the later levels for loot, your level shoots through the roof.

The chests are same each time you kill him. One lvl 3 armor, one lvl 3 weapon, one lvl 3 novelty. Sometimes you'll get lucky and have Daimon drop a a lvl 3 item also.
.1. On the save import, does it automatically start you in NG+ and in Cassardis? Or does it pick up right where you left off?

2. In regards to BBI - does it level scale to when you first get to the island or when you import the save? Based off of everything I'm reading it's brutally difficult and I won't lie, I'd like to start it lower then level 100 if I can (I hardly have time to play and I don't wanna be so frustrated that I up and walk away from such a fantastic game).

3. Is there a complete list of changes between DD and DA anywhere (I've search and so far have come up with sweet fuck all). I know the Assassin was nerfed, but was anything else changed with all the different vocations?.
1)its picks up from where you left off.
2)its more about what weapons and armor you have and if its fully upgraded more than anything (everfall, dragon items fully dragon forged). If there is any scaling going on, no one knows how it works (as far as I know). Things start out rough but once you get some of the new weapons and armor, it gets easier
3)The dragon dogma wiki is probably the best you'll get. Its still a little vague on details

Jaroof

I miss the original theme when starting the game up :(

THE WIND IS PUSHING MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

That said, I'm having a blast with this game. Died a bunch already, but everytime I do, I don't even care. Just happy to get back into Bitterblack Isle and try again.

Revan

1)its picks up from where you left off.
2)its more about what weapons and armor you have and if its fully upgraded more than anything (everfall, dragon items fully dragon forged). If there is any scaling going on, no one knows how it works (as far as I know). Things start out rough but once you get some of the new weapons and armor, it gets easier
3)The dragon dogma wiki is probably the best you'll get. Its still a little vague on details

Awesome thanks for the info!

Grisby

have you fought the ice dragon in the Water Gods Altar? Hes way more introspective and philosophical than any of the other ones. I almost feel bad killing him (almost)I'm at 141 right now, but I started BBI at 85. Once you start farming the later levels for loot, your level shoots through the roof.
Nope I never did go back there during the post game. I'll have to do it when I get back to Gran Soren after BBI.

When they grab you and their eyes light up with the speech it just gets me every time. Dragons Dogma sure does have some of the best dragons in any game. That ice Dragon was a bitch at first due to his spells and how fast he could cast them compared to my casting times.

Hell of a game. I wouldn't mind another expansion although I hope Capcom is just working on DD2.

YoungOne

Just ordered my copy which will be here on Wednsday. Those who did the BBI content I plan to go through it with ranger. Bad idea or not?

really digging the last boss fight in BBI. if you were telling me RPGs were going to get fights like these a few years ago, i'd call you crazy. very cool animations and nice move patterns.

Having an absolute blast with Dark Arisen.

Just discovered the 2.0 version of hard mode within Bitterblack Isle; with my carried over level 195 main/pawn. Good lord, I am in love with this game all over again!

Hard mode Bitterblack Isle content the first time was ridiculous, with some of the 1/2 shotting going on (getting fatally clotheslined, dropkicked, or Maelstrom-shoryuken'd into the sky). Hard mode 2.0 of this dungeon gets even more ridiculous. Already down 4-5 levels down. Sheesh!

i was 140 on my first 1.0 visit on hard. i'm now 155 something. dying is not a huge issue, i can dodge most bosses pretty well, but i met a fire drake that took forever to kill. i don't know if he's a natural tank or if my damage is insufficient. after he fell, i got ambushed by an undead version of him in the same room, wtf. he was much weaker though.

and i found a nice fire bow right after that behind one of those locked doors.

klee123

One feature of DA that I really find awesome is that when you enter an area to fight a boss, sometimes, a black cloud forms and more boss caliber enemies appear.

It really makes the battles so much more hectic.

phierce

Beat the main story a little bit ago with your pawn, haha oh man was she the handiest thing during the final boss!
Awesome! I'm glad she was able to hold her own and work for you!!

I spent most of the day drinking, but I'm back to leveling in a bit!

Hey...Sunday, Funday...in Vegas...96 degrees...what do you expect?

Wow, I got lucky with Daimon and got the Lv.3 daggers and bow for my assassin. Haven't gotten a single armor set though, does death drop those exclusively?
I didn't get any armor from death. Seems Daimons chests are slightly random in their drops. I got a large riftstone instead of a piece of armor last time (Fuck you game!)

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Awesome! I'm glad she was able to hold her own and work for you!!

I spent most of the day drinking, but I'm back to leveling in a bit!

Hey...Sunday, Funday...in Vegas...96 degrees...what do you expect?

Damn man, infinite jealously over here. The weather in DC was so gloomy I just sat in with a six pack and played DDDA all day. Seriously though, pop on some new gear on that pawn and it is one amazing support unit you've put together. Her only problem is how much she prioritizes spamming heal when I just want her to enchant my weapons, but even then that isn't really a problem with her probably just the pawn AI haha.

phierce

Damn man, infinite jealously over here. The weather in DC was so gloomy I just sat in with a six pack and played DDDA all day. Seriously though, pop on some new gear on that pawn and it is one amazing support unit you've put together. Her only problem is how much she prioritizes spamming heal when I just want her to enchant my weapons, but even then that isn't really a problem with her probably just the pawn AI haha.
haha yeah...that's just the dumb ass AI I think. I've swapped her inclination around and it doesn't change. I'm not sure how to fix that.

As far as gear goes...as soon as I can buy it or loot it, she'll have it. She currently has better than I can buy from any merchant...so as soon as the stores upgrade or I loot better, she'll have it!

Thanks for using her...she enjoys the company! haha

I didn't get any armor from death. Seems Daimons chests are slightly random in their drops. I got a large riftstone instead of a piece of armor last time (Fuck you game!)

Yeah, my 3rd time beating him and I got a Moonbeam Gem, Perfect RC, and lvl3 Armor. I think next time I'm going to save before opening the chests and then Godsbane, to see is the loot changes.

On an unrelated note: fuck you, Strigois -- gimme a goddam Blood Red Crystal already! Also, what drops Moonshimmer Pelts? I'm thinking Wargs, but I haven't seen them since first entering the labyrinth.

Yeah, my 3rd time beating him and I got a Moonbeam Gem, Perfect RC, and lvl3 Armor. I think next time I'm going to save before opening the chests and then Godsbane, to see is the loot changes.

On an unrelated note: fuck you, Strigois -- gimme a goddam Blood Red Crystal already! Also, what drops Moonshimmer Pelts? I'm thinking Wargs, but I haven't seen them since first entering the labyrinth.
let me know how that works out, im curious too. moonshimmer pelts are from the giant saurian sages, I think.

Top Bottom