• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

i1uH5Utiqaw1z.gif

I can't stop laughing. Hahahaha.

poor ogre. you had a good run.

Any starting tips for someone new to Dragons Dogma?

bring a lantern.

Any starting tips for someone new to Dragons Dogma?

They're weak to fire!

But really, what everyone else said, and I would recommend to just play what you want vocation-wise, and not feel like you have to play something else to do better.

Even though I'm a hypocrite of that, lol

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
So about what level / how much strength and magick do you guys have as you're approaching The Dragon boss fight? I'm literally a quest away from it and I'm only 46 with 3 vocations leveled up all the way and like ~650 strength and 360 magick.

I don't feel like I've really found much loot though other than a couple of weapons that were pretty good.

Also is good jewelry supposed to be impossible to find?
I was 42, but I've found it too low to enjoy the fight. I chipped off really small chunks of Dragon's hp with my attacks, so it was really long and tedious.

I wonder, will I get slain as soon as I enter Everfall (level 43)? Should I explore the whole outside map before going there?

Trigger

I wonder, will I get slain as soon as I enter Everfall (level 43)? Should I explore the whole outside map before going there?

Eh, most foes in the Everfalls are just reskinned enemies you've already fought.

I just got out of Everfall in the main quest, curious how far in I am? At this point I mainly have beast quests now and just met the captain.

30% IMO. Lots of questing and traveling to be done.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Eh, most foes in the Everfalls are just reskinned enemies you've already fought.
Yeah, I know. But that boosted Chimera I've fought before the Dragon really gave me trouble. Guess I shouldn't have taken the last quest as a beginner Sorcerer (vocation level 5, I was a Mystic Knight until recently).

ironcreed

Banned
I really love this game, BBI made me fall in love all over again.

I look forward to beating Daimon 2.0 tomorrow, I think I got that motherfucker figured out. I'll let you know how I do, GAF

I hear you. Had many frustrations with the new content, even with dragon forged Dragon's Vein daggers, Dragon's Rancor bow and Abyssinal armor. But I still beat it and now I once again can't stop playing or thinking about the game. I am reminded of why I said last year that this is one of my favorite games of the generation. That atmosphere and the overall feel is just so damn addictive.

Anyway, decided to go ahead and play through the main quest again and have also been working on Ur Dragon generation 222. Must not be many fighting him because he went down only one health bar from last night. Good times.

Drewfonse

As much as I love some of the more epic Story quests (the Griffin hunt comes to mind), I've been really underwhelmed by the side stuff. You don't get much experience, and they are kind of boring. More epic set pieces, less collecting evidence for Fournival's trial, please.

I'm also leveling up really slowly. I'm at level 35, with 2-3 quests left in Act 2. Do the later quests offer more XP?

Also, does BBI scale it's enemies? I shudder at the prospect of trying to tackle it with a level 45-50 character, which might be what I'm on track for.

As much as I love some of the more epic Story quests (the Griffin hunt comes to mind), I've been really underwhelmed by the side stuff. You don't get much experience, and they are kind of boring. More epic set pieces, less collecting evidence for Fournival's trial, please.
a lot of the side quest are more for gold or getting unique items. If they're a drag, just skip it. The good ones are like "kill 10 Chimeras" for 500k. Those are always a good time
I'm also leveling up really slowly. I'm at level 35, with 2-3 quests left in Act 2. Do the later quests offer more XP?
the mainline quests do, yes.
I hear you. Had many frustrations with the new content, even with dragon forged Dragon's Vein daggers, Dragon's Rancor bow and Abyssinal armor. But I still beat it and now I once again can't stop playing or thinking about the game. I am reminded of why I said last year that this is one of my favorite games of the generation. That atmosphere and the overall feel is just so damn addictive.
yeah, this game got me hooked again. BBI takes some time to adapt to but its not as bad as some people are making it. Just survive the first time, get to the end and beat the boss. Once you get some of the new equipment, it gets more manageable.

maomaoIYP

I found a cheap copy and I caved and picked it up yesterday. SO GLAD I DID.
A lot of noticeable improvements to the UI, load times and pop in.
Love the new equipment, new hairstyles, the Bitterisle dungeon.
The huge difficulty increases during boss fights are very noticeable though, I had to pick up my lvl 200 sorc pawn from my alternate account in order to pick up the slack, was getting destroyed with only a 3 man lvl 140 team. Well at least this way I can earn RC for myself, by myself.

JudgeN

Love the game and playing it for the first time, my question is I started as a fighter on hard mode and I literally getting 2 shot by pretty much anything. This is this correct or am i using bad armor or what?

I just start and I'm taking the
hydra head to the capital
i'm using lady's Trek wear DLC armor as it seem to offer the best defense with the least bad status effects.

Man, my Sorc kept wanting to become Scather/Challenger but I gave her an affinity spell after a neutral potion and now she's Scather/Utillitarianr like she's supposed to be. No more of this Sorc climbing a dragon bullshit.

1600str I think at final upgrade - no enchant though :/

Kyoufu

Oh wow. Didn't know you could go top of the Duskmoon Tower to an area called "Rotunda of Dread".

This room is filled with multiple enemies and 10 or so chests. Enemies are random but lots of good loot to farm here. I guess I know what I'll be doing for a while. lol

1600str I think at final upgrade - no enchant though :/

Wow nice.

Oh wow. Didn't know you could go top of the Duskmoon Tower to an area called "Rotunda of Dread".

This room is filled with multiple enemies and 10 or so chests. Enemies are random but lots of good loot to farm here. I guess I know what I'll be doing for a while. lol

Wow nice.

Whoa good find, hey what lv is your pawn and are you on ps3?

Love the game and playing it for the first time, my question is I started as a fighter on hard mode and I literally getting 2 shot by pretty much anything. This is this correct or am i using bad armor or what?

i'm using lady's Trek wear DLC armor as it seem to offer the best defense with the least bad status effects.

Yeah Hard Mode increases Stam usage and enemy DMG taken by like 200% - there isn't much you can do about it except gear/grind and make use of every consumable you have. Also save often, this games save system is strange.

TentPole

Hard mode was on e hit kills for me until I leveled to the mid 20's.

The beginning of hard mode sucks but if you stick through the beginning I think it makes the rest of the game much more engaging.

4 people used my pawn, fun! Also thanks to whoever gave me that fully upgraded Armor, it's nice!

Is it really worth it to turn my strider into a Ranger? I'm sure there are some good skills but my strider is just getting vicious, would hate to take her down the wrong path

Flunkie

Banned
I really, really need to play this again soon. I loved the combat from what I played of it, but I just have never found time to devote to it. It's like an easier, more arcadey/fun (climbing around of monsters and stuff) version of Dark Souls, which is VERY appealing to me. Just wish I had unlimited time. :(

Trigger

Is the new Dark Arisen content worth the extra $20 over a standard copy for someone who never played the original?

It's going to be the definitive version assuming there won't be more expansions, so yes.

I picked a guardian fighter pawn for my strider char, did I fuck up? The game auto saves and doesn't even ask to confirm the damned questions:\

You can alter your pawn later so you're cool for now if you don't like your pawn's class/inclinations.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I picked a guardian fighter pawn for my strider char, did I fuck up? The game auto saves and doesn't even ask to confirm the damned questions:\

You can change it using the knowledge chair or the commands you give or even wipe it with elixirs. But still, guardian for a fighter sounds good to me if you're ranged. I love my fighter pawns tanking.

emag

I'm not feeling the game yet. I've had a lot of instances where I enter a dungeon of sorts and everything goes fine, then suddenly superstrong enemy kills me in three hits and I'm back at the inn, 30 minutes wasted.

This has happened during
the quest where you have to go into the well, fight a few rats, suddenly endless walking fish dudes kill me, a part on the eastern overworld where I was overrun by bandits, leader kills everyone in one hit,
and
just now, during the lure of the abyss everfall mission. I'm doing okay as long as my mage lights my sword on fire, but after some 15 minutes of dungeon crawling an orge of sorts appears on the stairs... and kills me. I can't even do anything to it, it has so much HP. Last checkpoint is all the way back at the beginning of the dungeon -_-

I wonder if I'm playing the game wrong. It looks like I'm not strong enough for the main quest, but sidequests get me killed off just as well. The pawns I have with me are around my level. I noticed they don't seem to level up, so are you supposed to keep changing pawns? Besides your main pawn, I mean.

It's frustrating because I don't feel it is my own error (as it would be in Dark Souls), just that the game throws these roadblocks at you that you can only overcome by levelling. Surely that can't be it though, right?

Maybe it wouldn't be so frustratring itf the quests were color coded or something to let you know you're not high level enough.

Dark Souls just rewards patience. Dragon's Dogma rewards skill. On normal, you should be high enough level to take out Everfall or the bandits in the east by the time you hit Gran Soren, just based on mandatory quests. You need to make use of your abilities -- parrying as a fighter, dodging and ranged attacks as a strider, hit and run as a mage. Use the terrain to your advantage by limiting the ways enemies can approach and draw out a couple bandits from the group at a time. Sacrifice your pawns in place of yourself. Make sure your party is set up with a mage for healing and buffing. Climb on big enemies and jump off before they hit or grab you.

Is there any way to mod character appearance other than the barber shop? Having such a nice character maker (and photo mode) has gotten me feeling rather picky.

Also, there was an npc who sold things in exchange for rift crystals. He used to be in the inn at the Pawn encampment in vanilla. But I haven't seen him yet in DA. Any idea where this guy went?

phierce

Is it really worth it to turn my strider into a Ranger? I'm sure there are some good skills but my strider is just getting vicious, would hate to take her down the wrong path
As a strider, do you tend to attack with melee or ranged more often?

If ranged, then yeah, it's worth it. Rangers get the same melee skills as a strider and more powerful ranged attacks.

edgefusion

Is there any way to mod character appearance other than the barber shop? Having such a nice character maker (and photo mode) has gotten me feeling rather picky.

Also, there was an npc who sold things in exchange for rift crystals. He used to be in the inn at the Pawn encampment in vanilla. But I haven't seen him yet in DA. Any idea where this guy went?

Yes. If you go back to the first encampment after Cassardis, there's a guy by the rift stone that will sell you items for rift crystals. One of those items will let you completely alter your main and your pawns looks from the main menu.

Edit: I really should've read your second paragraph. v_v He should still be there, he is for me anyway. Are you sure you're looking at the very back of the tent?

Upgraded my Mage with Grand Anodyne and Grand Brontide. Made a big difference for healing so far

Death has decided not to show his face all of a sudden. Coward

Top Bottom