• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Eusis

i1uH5Utiqaw1z.gif

I can't stop laughing. Hahahaha.
There was one case I had the fight of my life with an ogre, only for it to somehow go through a man-sized opening in a gate and shortly afterwards fall to its death (this was just before the monster that prompted me to bail BBI for the time being,
the Gazer
.) Yeah, I just don't get them sometimes.

As a strider, do you tend to attack with melee or ranged more often?

If ranged, then yeah, it's worth it. Rangers get the same melee skills as a strider and more powerful ranged attacks.

Even helm splitter? As long as my pawn has double jump helm splitter I'm happy.

I'm actually a full vocation level 30 warrior. I haven't done the ever fall quest yet. I think I'm going to move to mystic Knight once the next set of Armour is available.

Yes. If you go back to the first encampment after Cassardis, there's a guy by the rift stone that will sell you items for rift crystals. One of those items will let you completely alter your main and your pawns looks from the main menu.

Edit: I really should've read your second paragraph. v_v He should still be there, he is for me anyway. Are you sure you're looking at the very back of the tent?

Just checked and he seems to be there now. Gonna spend the hell out of those free rift crystals I got from my old save.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Can you perfect block larger beasts like the cyclops, chimera, ogre etc.? I could've sworn that when I played the DD demo you could perfect block him. Hmmm maybe I'm wrong but maybe there are exceptions to who/what can be reflected

xCobalt

Oh wow. Didn't know you could go top of the Duskmoon Tower to an area called "Rotunda of Dread".

This room is filled with multiple enemies and 10 or so chests. Enemies are random but lots of good loot to farm here. I guess I know what I'll be doing for a while. lol

That place is convenient but from the runs I've made so far, bosses tend to be from Gransys and theres only 2 gold chests out of the 10.

(vanilla game stuff in spoilers, havent even been to the new island yet)

So pretty early on before finishing all of the w
yrm hunt
quests I decided to head west and see if i could kill
the dragon that is south of that fort thing you have to liberate for one of the wyrm hunt quests

I figured this would be impossible because I assumed that was the dragon that attacked the village at the start (which it was, i think) and was the final boss of the game. But clearly it's not because I got some XP and some rift crystals and it wasn't any different than any other side quest in the game. Strange.

Anyway, that fight was awesome. Took all day and half a night cycle to get him down. Really fun stuff. And now that he isn't the end boss I have no idea where the story is going.

abundant

Had the coolest moment on BBI. I was fighting a Cockatrice, when a Warg shows up and the two beasts fight. The Cockatrice petrified the Warg and won the battle. A few seconds later, the Warg was shattered and the Cockatrice was defeated.

Something similar happened the other day, when an Elder Ogre ended up defeating an Eliminator.

Nice, death killed her a while ago and it worked out perfectly. Went to hire her again and saw grand anodyne, good stuff.
I got a bunch of RC from you earlier, hope she's healing your party up. Another guy has been using my pawn all week, I've easily got over a million RC from just him in the last 4 days.

Just got a new warrior sword...my Wounded heart, upgraded to Silver Dragon Forge, does 1186 DMG. This new one, Bitter End, does 1350 BEFORE any kind of upgrade. Holy shit.

Kolgar

(vanilla game stuff in spoilers, havent even been to the new island yet)

So pretty early on before finishing all of the w
yrm hunt
quests I decided to head west and see if i could kill
the dragon that is south of that fort thing you have to liberate for one of the wyrm hunt quests

I figured this would be impossible because I assumed that was the dragon that attacked the village at the start (which it was, i think) and was the final boss of the game. But clearly it's not because I got some XP and some rift crystals and it wasn't any different than any other side quest in the game. Strange.

Anyway, that fight was awesome. Took all day and half a night cycle to get him down. Really fun stuff. And now that he isn't the end boss I have no idea where the story is going.

Oh, how I envy you. So much goodness ahead!

Just beat Daimon v2 as an Assassin (2500 STR)- it was tough but I found an easy way:
-You have to watch his patterns, most spells/breath will 1 or 2 shot you (I used 5 wakestones in this fight)
I highly recommend the Adhesive amd Opportunism Augments for this strat

-You won't do much damage until you get him into his knockdown phase which involves him doing one of two attacks: AOE blue energy burst or chest blue breath, both of which have a charge up animation

-During this animation, you want to shoot arrows (5/10 shot) at his upper head, not the chest head - this will put him into knockdown around 4 or 5 shots

-This is the important and easy high damage part: once he's in knockdown, you have to climb his back and get to the back of his top head and then use your Gouge/Kisses - very important that you don't climb or attack from the front or his cleave/homing fireballs will hit you

-You'll probably get knocked off by lightning, in that case rinse and repeat - one knockdown+kisses to the head will take off about 4 of his life bars

Oh yeah, pawns were dead almost the entire right, I didn't rely on them at all and almost all healing came from the wakestones.

Billen

Banned
While this game started slow for me, holy shit it grew onto me fast. The feeling of adventure is ridiculously great, and this combined with a good melee system this gives me all that Skyrim/Oblivion failed to deliver. I am so amazingly satisfied with this gameplay right now.

Framerate still suck at times, and I never thought I'd look past it. :)

And oh, fighting a giant and a big band of bandits simultaneously is not a good idea, but man it looks awesome in the glow of fire.

Super duper easy way to kill Daimon's 2nd form:

Blast Arrows
yup. Use Conqueror's Periapts too (you can buy them from Madeleine in capital) and it will go faster. I've cheesed him to death twice for loot. I don't feel bad about it, I tried 3 times to beat him legitimate. He's just not fair

You know, I had stopped playing Magick Archer during the main game because it felt too much like easy mode.

But I think for BBI 2.0, it's just what I need.

How viable is it to go full brute without any wimpy magic and spells?
you can play it as a fighter or warrior. its all swords, shields and broadswords. I split time between those two classes, mostly.

Its best to have companions with magic and healing spells if you want to go that route, however.

KorrZ

The more I play this game, the more I'm falling in love with it. Going out on an adventure at dawn, and getting my ass kicked...having to actually weigh the risk vs reward of whether I can make it to finish the quest before nightfall or if I should cut my losses and return to camp and come back.

If this game just put some more effort into production values (graphics, writing, v/a, better ui). It would be a true force to reckon with in the RPG world. The core gameplay is just so sound. I really hope Deep Down is the sequel.

I think I'll go to Duskmoon Tower and try to take out the super Drake now that I've re-equipped.

*starts fighting super Drake*

*INVADER CORPSE DRAGON HAS APPEARED*

Fuck you, game.

Mage archer is seriously the coolest shit. It has really changed the basic archery for me I love this shit. Does the pure archer or assassins class have anything of equality?

Welp, 0-2 against that first (curse? corpse?) dragon thing. I'm damaging it slowly but surely as a mystic knight, although the holy enchantment didn't seem to make much of a difference. This almost feels like Dark Souls, where I'm constantly on defense, just trying to find an opening to whittle him down. I think I need to redo my augments towards blocking, see if that helps.

Kyoufu

Welp, 0-2 against that first (curse? corpse?) dragon thing. I'm damaging it slowly but surely as a mystic knight, although the holy enchantment didn't seem to make much of a difference. This almost feels like Dark Souls, where I'm constantly on defense, just trying to find an opening to whittle him down. I think I need to redo my augments towards blocking, see if that helps.

Why not just cling to it and damage the weak point on its chest?

xCobalt

I think that was definitely the hardest encounter for me so far. I used like 6 or 7 wakestones and all of my curatives.

jet1911

Played a bit this morning, my mage is now level 5. I already got killed a couple of times lol, I need to stop rushing every monsters.

Kyoufu

I tried that a couple times but since the dragon is kind of narrow and the weak point is usually facing downward I always ended up grabbing on to an arm instead. I'll give that another shot though!

No worries, you can position yourself onto it after grabbing the arm. It's definitely the best way to kill it. Even as a Magick Archer I use my daggers on the glowing weak point.

EDIT: You may also want to try Fire/Holy Cannon.

The more I play this game, the more I'm falling in love with it. Going out on an adventure at dawn, and getting my ass kicked...having to actually weigh the risk vs reward of whether I can make it to finish the quest before nightfall or if I should cut my losses and return to camp and come back.

If this game just put some more effort into production values (graphics, writing, v/a, better ui). It would be a true force to reckon with in the RPG world. The core gameplay is just so sound. I really hope Deep Down is the sequel.

To the bold: I remember Capcom saying how big the team was for this and how long it took to make, but honestly, it feels like all the dev time + budget went into combat and enemy animations. The world, the writing, the characters, and missions are bland and a little soulless. Like pretty much everything outside of combat and editing your character + pawn is played so absolutely straight that it's frustrating. I wish someone like Rockstar was open to being contracted as a "World Builder" for other developers looking to make open world games.

*Almost has super Drake dead*

*runs over to downed pawn to revive*

*hits B, enters door instead*

*super Drake regains all health*

FUCK YOU GAME

Skilletor

I like how bare the story is, but how intriguing it can be. I don't care for stories in games at all, but I'm really interested in how stuff is going to pan out.

I just beat the mission in the catacombs. Got pushed off a ledge by an ogre once :(. Beat him the second time.

Bought the thing to re-do my character and pawn. They were hella ugly.

Nobody uses my pawn, though. :( I guess fighters aren't in huge demand. What's the best class for a pawn? I'm running with a magick archer now. Will probably switch back to Sorcerer soon.

Super Drakes are no joke. They have very strong defense, take forever to kill. I feel your pain.

The other Super Dragonkin don't have nearly as much defense for whatever reason. They're much easier

I think I'll go to Duskmoon Tower and try to take out the super Drake now that I've re-equipped.

*starts fighting super Drake*

*INVADER CORPSE DRAGON HAS APPEARED*

Fuck you, game.

I know! Man, I love it. I hope that Deep Down and Dark Souls w/e have this feature; furthermore, I want to be able to invade and/or spawn an encounter like this on another player.

After being Gold Dragon Forged, I can kill a normal Chimera in 2 swings with my new warrior sword. It staggers or knocks down just about everything.

I think I'm going to restart the game on hard once I get some more lvl 3 loot

Edit: and I finally killed Death. BOOM

Kyoufu

After being Gold Dragon Forged, I can kill a normal Chimera in 2 swings with my new warrior sword. It staggers or knocks down just about everything.

I think I'm going to restart the game on hard once I get some more lvl 3 loot

Edit: and I finally killed Death. BOOM

Death has gone MIA.

He's afraid of me. :(

Top Bottom