• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

I never had much of a problem with the inventory in this game (I actually love most it) but man, I really wish there was some sort of recipe system. The combine feature is just so half-assed.

Getting dragged off into the bushes by a Hellhound for the first time scared the shit out of me. I'm finding the
post-dragon world
to be pretty exciting. Game is really coming together for me now in satisfying ways. I'm glad I stuck through it to get this far.

IMACOMPUTA

The bishop doesn't respawn until you killed Daimon, it seems. I'll try to check Duskmoon Tower then for that grudge match. Or I could just go kill Daimon but I'm scared of post-Daimon BBI... xD

That's why. Online Ur-Dragon is weird (you can fight him as a more "normal boss" offline) and complicated and must be damaged by all players around the world.

Yeah that's annoying. That pawn probably has low knowledge of that monster.

Notice board "hunt X/collect X" quests are safe at all times.
Quests given by NPCs are generally not safe and should all be completed before that.

It should only close off Wyrm Hunt quests, but make a checkpoint save right beforehand just to be safe. Some NPC related quests are closed off as you progress, but that early there shouldn't be any you'll miss out on.

EDIT: Checked and there are a couple of cutoffs. In particular,
the quests "Dying of Curiosity", "Chasing Shadows", "Reapers Scorn", and "A Troublesome Tome" be cut off.

Thanks y'all

The rating on your pawn's status screen will be the average of all ratings.

And a pro tip about ratings: generally, 3-star, no item ratings mean that the pawn died in action.
I never had much of a problem with the inventory in this game (I actually love most it) but man, I really wish there was some sort of recipe system. The combine feature is just so half-assed.

It took me a good 30 hours to realise that desiccated herbs don't show up in the combine list. Hella confusing.

All the hours I've spent in those menus and I'm realising it's not worth it at all, especially after learning of bottled healing water.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
There reeeeally needs to be a pawn feedback comment somewhere along the lines of "ditched your pawn the instant I heard its chipmunk voice.' I can't figure out a way to convey that with existing measures.

I can't think of a single item that is actually worth the effort it would take to gather the components in the field, figure out what it can be combined with, and then go through the menus to actually combine it.

matured greenwarish maybe? but that's relatively simple

anyway pre dragon fight question about romances
i haven't been paying attention at all to the romance system in this game, is there anything I should absolutely do to rectify that or can I just have it play out as normal? I'm about to talk to the Dragonforged to confront Grigori

Ogawa-san

And a pro tip about ratings: generally, 3-star, no item ratings mean that the pawn died in action.
My pawn has good, goldforged gear and that staff that auto-revives them after 5s, but I rarely get actual ratings instead of the default 3 star everything. I just assume people are too lazy to rate, some even petty enough to not rate so it doesn't compete with their own pawns on the ranking.

Me, I give that awesome warrior pawn that corona slash the hell out of everything a five star and say they were the finest.

Trace

Banned
First time playing this game, level 11 atm so not sure exactly how to do it properly. I want to switch to Warrior later, but I'm rank 4 in Fighter atm. Should I rank it up to 10 before switching or just switch now?

KarmaCow

First time playing this game, level 11 atm so not sure exactly how to do it properly. I want to switch to Warrior later, but I'm rank 4 in Fighter atm. Should I rank it up to 10 before switching or just switch now?

Depends on if there are augments you want from those higher ranks because those are the only things that transfer over between classes. Well there are stat growths for each class but the game doesn't really demand that level of min/maxing.

The general answer is switch to what you want to play, as the game goes on it becomes easier to level up other classes.

anyway pre dragon fight question about romances
i haven't been paying attention at all to the romance system in this game, is there anything I should absolutely do to rectify that or can I just have it play out as normal? I'm about to talk to the Dragonforged to confront Grigori

Outside of moving a merchant to your house, I don't think it really matters. Also, you're already past the point of no return for that choice anyway.

Ugh I wish the augments gave more detail to them

wait I guess I can just check my stats in the stat screen, the endurance boosting augments only give out 100 stamina, not really worth it

RandomError

Neo Member
Do you mean the hitstop? I don't think there's a setting or mod to disable it at the moment, but only the Warrior class uses it that heavily, it's negligible with others.

Helpful in some cases, but you can turn it off if you want.

It makes impacts feel much better. You'll get used to it for sure, it'll be the last thing you noticed when you fighting and climbing griffins, dragons and etc.

Thanks for the replies.

It seems an odd design choice. I've heard of removing frames from animations to enhance the impact of a collision (The Last of Us, action films), pausing the game and essentially duplicating frames seems counter to that.

I've searched around and haven't found many complaints about it. Guess I'll have to buy the game and find out for myself!

Thanks for the replies.

It seems an odd design choice. I've heard of removing frames from animations to enhance the impact of a collision (The Last of Us, action films), pausing the game and essentially duplicating frames seems counter to that.

I've searched around and haven't found many complaints about it. Guess I'll have to buy the game and find out for myself!

If I remember right Kingdoms of Amalur did a similar thing.

latest

Ughh, I managed to forget this obnoxious being existed.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm a fan of it so long as it's not overdone as the effect enhances each particular hit. It works particularly well with the Warrior class since they attack so slow. I think it's implemented quite nicely in this game overall.

yamo

This pawn is most grateful to whomever sent her the Bitterblack Weapon Lv.3 that turned out to be the Framae Blades, holy shit! She also returned with a 3 star rating for all beasts lol.

YiGb.png

Big thanks if it was any gaffer that sent the item! Something like 10 people had rented her the last time, so not sure who everyone was.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wow, I accidentally sold my Wyrm Hunting license which wound up being an amazing stroke of luck because it obviously led me to The Black Cat which I'd missed completely before that. I finally think Gran Soren is cool :D

Wow, I accidentally sold my Wyrm Hunting license which wound up being an amazing stroke of luck because it obviously led me to The Black Cat which I'd missed completely before that. I finally think Gran Soren is cool :D

I haven't bought a single thing from there or duped any items lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks for the replies.

If I remember right Kingdoms of Amalur did a similar thing.
Amalur did, but both are ultimately borrowing the notion from character action games like Devil May Cry and God of War. Hitstop makes you very, very certain that you hit something. I'm curious about the frame removal for collisions in the last of us, I never realized that happened? Do you just mean the camera trickery that lets you cover more distance than you would otherwise for a melee kill?
I haven't bought a single thing from there or duped any items lol
Seems to have some pretty nice weapons up for grabs when I have the funds...

forrest

formerly nacire
I got a bit of a late start with this game, but I'm really enjoying my time with it. The combat is just incredibly satisfying. On a side note, finally got 21:9 and ENB running together via Agnostic Dragon paired with the WikfutENB Settings.

Loving the way it looks and plays with the changes.

2016-01-25_00002xbstn.jpg

2016-01-26_00003dqsui.jpg

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
^ Um no offense but that looks crazy washed out. Not a fan at all.
My pawn has good, goldforged gear and that staff that auto-revives them after 5s, but I rarely get actual ratings instead of the default 3 star everything. I just assume people are too lazy to rate, some even petty enough to not rate so it doesn't compete with their own pawns on the ranking.
The staff won't help if they fall to their death, fall in the water, or get taken by
Death
. :p I'm 100% sure that's what's happening to your pawn. I got ratings fairly often but now that I'm high level and in BBI, it's all 3-stars.
Death
is a bitch.

This pawn is most grateful to whomever sent her the Bitterblack Weapon Lv.3 that turned out to be the Framae Blades, holy shit! She also returned with a 3 star rating for all beasts lol.

YiGb.png

Big thanks if it was any gaffer that sent the item! Something like 10 people had rented her the last time, so not sure who everyone was.

That totally wasn't me. That's the only green skinned pawn I've seen so I'd know lol

dragon fight spoilers....

lol is Valmiro supposed to be my romance or something? All I did was go on a bunch of fetch quests for him, whatever happened to Mercedes coming back and saving the day?

yamo

That totally wasn't me. That's the only green skinned pawn I've seen so I'd know lol

Yeah lol, i'm trying to make her stand out a bit in the crowd. But I suppose it's just a question of time until the masses finds all the hair/body dyes and options to modify their pawn.

Captcha

lol is Valmiro supposed to be my romance or something? All I did was go on a bunch of fetch quests for him, whatever happened to Mercedes coming back and saving the day?

The game has an unavoidable romance system. Affinity for you character is gained by doing quests for NPCs and whoever is highest when you flag that fight is your "love". There's also some ring or something that you can gift to someone that maxes out their affinity for you, but I don't remember where you get it. If I recall, when an NPC likes you they get this pink-ish aura around their head.

Steel

Banned

It's the last person you maxed out and talked to. So.... Yeah.... It could be worse, you could have gotten Fournival or Feste

Golnei

Yeah lol, i'm trying to make her stand out a bit in the crowd. But I suppose it's just a question of time until the masses finds all the hair/body dyes and options to modify their pawn.

You shouldn't worry about being too unique, if it gets in the way of enjoying yourself. Make all the redheads you like.

The character with the highest affinity you talked to last before starting Deny Salvation has priority. If you did Valmiro's quests after Mercedes leaves, that'd result in him being chosen over her.

Steel

Banned
Does this game have fast travel? What if I want to go from Gran Soren to the Encampment? I have to walk my ass there?

It does. Check the inn in Gran Soren. There will be an eternal ferrystone in the inn. Use it. You can add additional fast travel locations with port crystals.

another dragon fight spoiler

I'm a warrior with an average load and absolutely no climbing upgrades, climbing to the heart is fucking bullshit

Top Bottom