• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

undu

Well, I got the kill for gen 22, but 23 and 24 was at grace so quick. I was restocking my items. Stupid Totem Mace. I can't even trade it lol. The grind for Heaven's Key is real.

I got two already, I've just gotten loot once for the offline and one for the online dragon :|

Golnei

Lol i got Julien and he was completely harassed by those goblins.

Was supposed to quote Ferr986 but mobile ducks everything up

Julien is pathetic. You can destroy him in one hit with the most mediocre of equipment on your first playthrough, it wouldn't surprise me that goblins give him trouble.

Styles

Oh FFS. just entered an arena with 3 Gore Chimeras and Wights, are you kidding me? That ain't right. ;__;

[edit] oh the Wights basically killed themselves and took one of the G.Chimeras with them as they spammed their maelstroms right as I finish putting down my third Great Cannon. <3 Which left me with two G.Chimeras to deal with. They were easy, but it sure to a long damn time to kill them, since the Goat head kept healing over and over and over again.

RandomError

Neo Member
Amalur did, but both are ultimately borrowing the notion from character action games like Devil May Cry and God of War. Hitstop makes you very, very certain that you hit something. I'm curious about the frame removal for collisions in the last of us, I never realized that happened? Do you just mean the camera trickery that lets you cover more distance than you would otherwise for a melee kill?

Seems to have some pretty nice weapons up for grabs when I have the funds...

So it's feedback for strikes that connect?

The frame/animation skipping in The Last of Us is mentioned in Grounded: The Making of The Last of Us, at this timestamp.

Miff

So, I fought dragon Grigori last night but due to an incident at home I had to skip all the cutscenes and get off the game asap.

Managed to get a breakdown of what happened via the web but is there an easy way to find out
what ending I achieved? Because it looks like there are multiple endings on YouTube (peace, solitude, etc?), I'm not sure if there is more to come, and I don't want to watch those that do not apply.

Carcetti

Under similar circumstances it took me close to 70 minutes to get through that fight. My pawns didn't do shit throughout the whole fight. Tedious is the word I'd use to describe my experience.

Are we talking about the pre-end game dragon fight before credits? I just did that earlier with a warrior using Black Matter as a weapon and it went super fast. You don't have to climb to the heart when you have a big ass weapon, just do jump attacks below his chest and you can knock him down that way. The reach with those warrior weapons is ridiculous.

Gestahl

Lol that piece of shit Aldous the chamberlain creates a hardsave in your inn/rift slot and cancels the Conspirators. I've had enough of this

Ferr986

So, I fought dragon Grigori last night but due to an incident at home I had to skip all the cutscenes and get off the game asap.

Managed to get a breakdown of what happened via the web but is there an easy way to find out
what ending I achieved? Because it looks like there are multiple endings on YouTube (peace, solitude, etc?), I'm not sure if there is more to come, and I don't want to watch those that do not apply.

Keep, playing, you got no real ending yet, the other choice is just a bad game over. There's only 1 true ending and some game over styled endings. The scene that you missed is just
you won the dragon and you're back to Cassardis with your lover).

Zaptruder

Banned
Man, fuck hardmode Damian v2 man.

Guy just floats in the air and shits all over you. Then does the vortex thing, and there's not a goddamn thing you can do to make him stop, because he just keeps burning you up when you try to climb all over him.

I tried this on PS3 when it was on PS+. Traveling took to long and the performance really sucked. I'm taking my time with it on PC and really enjoying it. My one gripe is that enemies respawn to much. I was on a quest and following the marker out to an abandon fort. Had to fight through bandits and a cyclops to get there. Got to the quest matker and didn't find shit. Pressed on to a new area and killed a manticore. By then I just turned around and went back to town and the cyclops was back. I just ran passed him, but beating him felt like a big accomplishment. Seeing it respawn that fast made it feel less so. Great little adventure just needed more pay off. A couple of time now I've just stumbled into areas only to find out I need to come back later with a quest.

Guy just floats in the air and shits all over you. Then does the vortex thing, and there's not a goddamn thing you can do to make him stop, because he just keeps burning you up when you try to climb all over him.

What's your class?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
hadnt played in a few days, my pawn has half a million RC waiting for me. guess I wont hve any problems with purifying stuff anytime soon >_>

is the RC worth it for anything else?

Ferr986

I tried this on PS3 when it was on PS+. Traveling took to long and the performance really sucked. I'm taking my time with it on PC and really enjoying it. My one gripe is that enemies respawn to much. I was on a quest and following the marker out to an abandon fort. Had to fight through bandits and a cyclops to get there. Got to the quest matker and didn't find shit. Pressed on to a new area and killed a manticore. By then I just turned around and went back to town and the cyclops was back. I just ran passed him, but beating him felt like a big accomplishment. Seeing it respawn that fast made it feel less so. Great little adventure just needed more pay off. A couple of time now I've just stumbled into areas only to find out I need to come back later with a quest.

It was probably another Cyclops, mobs takes some in-game days to respawn.

if you're a bow user (Strider, Assasin..) I would just use periapts, blast arrows, and stunlock him to death with fivefold.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just got the sixfold ring but it turns it into ninefold bolt, I thought you guys said it was tenfold? or is there another ring?

Sarcasm

It actually takes days to respawn. This was probably a new one.

Rhaknar

god death is so annoying. its not even hard, just pawns are too stupid to avoid being killed, and then eventually it just runs away

Rhaknar

so what do you guys do with BBI ver 2.0? do you just follow the purple icon which is now a more direct line since the void doors remain open?

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Lol that piece of shit Aldous the chamberlain creates a hardsave in your inn/rift slot and cancels the Conspirators. I've had enough of this

It's bullshit and infuriating but I'll tell you what I wish someone had told me: It doesn't matter. The quests/story in this game suck and none of the rewards are worth it. Once you get to Bitterblack Isle you'll forget there even are sidequests in the main game.

another dragon fight spoiler

I'm a warrior with an average load and absolutely no climbing upgrades, climbing to the heart is fucking bullshit

Don't climb, jump, climbing is a waste of time/stamina as a warrior.
Just jump latch your way up.

Wow just missed two grace periods. What is going on lol....

Well he does spawn with different kinds of def/mdef, it's not impossible for him to spawn in weaker than the last time.

It's bullshit and infuriating but I'll tell you what I wish someone had told me: It doesn't matter. The quests/story in this game suck and none of the rewards are worth it. Once you get to Bitterblack Isle you'll forget there even are sidequests in the main game.

It doesn't matter if you fail quests no, but I disagree on the story sucking.

Golnei

I'm at about level 50, and I've only just gotten started on BBI - at this point, would it be better to start NG+ and go back to it afterwards, or go through it in this playthrough?

It doesn't matter if you fail quests no, but I disagree on the story sucking.

I like a couple of the concepts introduced near the end, but as a whole, the story definitely comes across as poorly-told, with a bland, under-developed cast for the most part. The sidequests don't really do much to deviate from that - that's one of the areas which seem to be in the direst need of improvement if they're to continue with them in any hypothetical sequel.

Do you like the narrative as it's presented as a whole, or is it mainly to do with the potential of the setting?

I'm at about level 50, and I've only just gotten started on BBI - at this point, would it be better to start NG+ and go back to it afterwards, or go through it in this playthrough?

I like a couple of the concepts introduced near the end, but as a whole, the story definitely comes across as poorly-told, with a bland, under-developed cast for the most part. The sidequests don't really do much to deviate from that - that's one of the areas which seem to be in the direst need of improvement if they're to continue with them in any hypothetical sequel.

Do you like the narrative as it's presented as a whole, or is it mainly to do with the potential of the setting?

All of it, I don't think it's poorly told at all, there's so much little tidbits that fill out the blanks, but it's purposefully told in a way to keep the nature of the dragon and the arisen vague, which is explained at the end.
I really like it, especially when you finish the game a second time in offline mode and it hits you with another little thing that cements how the world works and why everything is the way it is.

That being said, finish the game first, BBI is meant for NG+ as it assumes you've finished the game and witnessed the ending(s), without the ending you'd just be confused and spoiling yourself.

Rhaknar

finshed the post game, as bbi2 wasnt doing much for me, not really into farming gear in these games (same for the souls games). Amazing game, shame we will probably never see a sequel, but im glad to have finally played it

Gestahl

I cannot kill another shit tier mob of goblins/wolfs/saurians/bandits in literally the same locations I've been to countless times. I just can't. It's over man

Also my pawn was never hired. Ever. I never fucked with the settings, it says online and pawn can be shared with anyone, what the fuck ever, my bad for not making a little girl in fetish gear I guess

Exentryk

I'm around level 25 now, and heading to
"rout a monster infestation"
. I started the game on hard, and had plenty of one hit deaths. It's not a good way to do hard mode, especially when you don't have dodge or block right from the start on every class.

Anyway, I seem to be doing okay now playing as an Assassin, with a couple of defence increasing augments from other classes. I don't do much damage though. Only when my pawn casts fire boon or something, I can see some worthwhile damage. But even with this, the ogres and cyclops don't take much damage at all.

Is there something that can help deal more damage for quicker fights?

I cannot kill another shit tier mob of goblins/wolfs/saurians/bandits in literally the same locations I've been to countless times. I just can't. It's over man

Also my pawn was never hired. Ever. I never fucked with the settings, it says online and pawn can be shared with anyone, what the fuck ever, my bad for not making a little girl in fetish gear I guess

Honestly I think it's just still bugged, I've got several people on my friendslist who's pawns never show up AND the game never shows me random pawns, once it runs out of friendlist pawns it just gives me capcom generated ones.

Golnei

All of it, I don't think it's poorly told at all, there's so much little tidbits that fill out the blanks, but it's purposefully told in a way to keep the nature of the dragon and the arisen vague, which is explained at the end.
I really like it, especially when you finish the game a second time in offline mode and it hits you with another little thing that cements how the world works and why everything is the way it is.

That being said, finish the game first, BBI is meant for NG+ as it assumes you've finished the game and witnessed the ending(s), without the ending you'd just be confused and spoiling yourself.

I've already been spoiled on everything regarding the ending of both the original game and everything to do with BBI, so that's not much of an incentive - is there much of a gameplay benefit to waiting until NG+, like updated store inventory?

And while the actual cosmology is an interesting base to build on (with the way the previous Arisen who failed at varying stages of the trials leading to the
path of Seneschal
were explored being some of the game's high points in that regard), the execution of the game's first act and the majority of the sidequests fell flat for me. The supporting cast and their subplots generally did nothing for me for the majority of the game, and until the post-dragon world, Gransys is as generic medieval fantasy as it gets - while that's arguably the whole point, other games have managed to take just as heavy a traditional high fantasy and D&D inspiration and turn it into something compelling in its own right.

Q about the equipment progression in the game.

some of the gear i'm finding isn't any better than the ones you find at store (made it to great wall so far on a whim).

am i just not at the point where the hefty stuff starts to appear? (just did 1st wyrm hunt quest).

is there an armor better than the dlc armor? it looks ok, but i wanna start doing some fashion dogma. but the min-max aspect of it is too stronk to deny.

Lanrutcon

Q about the equipment progression in the game.

some of the gear i'm finding isn't any better than the ones you find at store (made it to great wall so far on a whim).

am i just not at the point where the hefty stuff starts to appear? (just did 1st wyrm hunt quest).

is there an armor better than the dlc armor? it looks ok, but i wanna start doing some fashion dogma. but the min-max aspect of it is too stronk to deny.

There's a shitton of armor better than the DLC.

papo

So where do I go from here?

I have what seems to be only 1 quest left
Tainted Mountain, I know there was something in the game where you had to deliver 20 wakestone to finish

Since I don't if that is the point of no return should I start tackling BBI? Also what's the "thing" in there. It seems a different vibe from the rest of the game and that one time I went in my whole party died from some thing almost instantly. I'm level 56 btw

wickfut

Banned
Downloaded wickfutENB and I'm definitely noticing weird stuttering. Even when I have high frame rates. When I turn it off with Shift + F12 it's buttery smooth.

press * and see your fps. I bet you're fluctuating quite a bit. It's made to hit 55-60fps on a gtx970.

Ferr986

Got a level 2 BBI weapon! ...it was worse than the bow I got from the main quest boss. I guess I need a level 3

lvl 2 BBI weps are usually elemental damage weapons if Im not mistaken, so their regular damage is worse than the dragon weapon (also, dragon weapons got buffed hard on Dark Arisen).

Lanrutcon

came across a dragon in a forest near shadow fort.

got properly rekt and was doing shit damage.

Dragonkin have 3 weak spots:

- Wings for low damage
- Head for medium damage
- Heart for high damage

If you're not hitting any of those spots you might as well stop and find something better to do.

iosefe

So where do I go from here?

I have what seems to be only 1 quest left
Tainted Mountain, I know there was something in the game where you had to deliver 20 wakestone to finish

Since I don't if that is the point of no return should I start tackling BBI? Also what's the "thing" in there. It seems a different vibe from the rest of the game and that one time I went in my whole party died from some thing almost instantly. I'm level 56 btw
Go ahead and go to the tainted mountain. Just be prepared

I've already been spoiled on everything regarding the ending of both the original game and everything to do with BBI, so that's not much of an incentive - is there much of a gameplay benefit to waiting until NG+, like updated store inventory?

And while the actual cosmology is an interesting base to build on (with the way the previous Arisen who failed at varying stages of the trials leading to the
path of Seneschal
were explored being some of the game's high points in that regard), the execution of the game's first act and the majority of the sidequests fell flat for me. The supporting cast and their subplots generally did nothing for me for the majority of the game, and until the post-dragon world, Gransys is as generic medieval fantasy as it gets - while that's arguably the whole point, other games have managed to take just as heavy a traditional high fantasy and D&D inspiration and turn it into something compelling in its own right.

Then not really, NG+ doesn't change anything cept the offline mode ending.

But that's the thing, this isn't the story of some hero of legend or someone with special powers; the arisen as chosen one is very much a nobody. They are minding their own business and welp their heart gets stolen.
The story itself is very much an exploration of "why", it's not it's place to hold your hand and tell you exactly what's happening, it's very much the point of being the opposite of this.

This is why when you first encounter the hydra, you very much get a feeling of how the hell am I supposed to fight this thing? Up till this point you fought some goblins and maybe saurians, and were still a relatively care free fisherman.
It's not until the hydra fight that you realise that this life is over, and you are indeed something important, because even though it seems impossible at first (which is also a reflection on the simple nature of the arisen at this point), you overcome this fight with relative ease.

This is also why the sidequests are so inconsequential, because they are supposed to be; they have zero bearing on the arisen and are literally just about world events, but world events don't concern the arisen anymore, their entire purpose now is the dragon.
Having intricate plotlines that dealt with the arisen, aside from their challenge to the dragon would just detract from their singular purpose; they aren't special to the world, they don't have a bunch of attachments or affiliations, they are a simple person turned bound to a calamity.

The sidequests are just the arisen putting themselves in other people's lives, they are literally just helping out, and then moving on, you're not supposed to get anything substantial from these events.

The nature of the arisen, the nature of the dragon, and the nature of the world is what the story is, and I believe they've crafted something that's quite unique, which required a certain way to approach the story and I like it a lot.

draetenth

Is there anyway to tell what you need to do to get three stars for a pawn's bestiary knowledge? I know you need to kill a certain amount and perform certain tasks (abusing a weakness, watching a certain action, or using a debilitation). I also know there are strategy scrolls that can help with this, but is there anyway to know what I actually need to do?
My pawn has been hired a couple of times so I have no way of knowing what strategies she's learned and what her kill count is.

Also, that feel when your pawn comes back with 16,000 RC, a bunch of knowledge (quest, travel, and monster), but has 3 stars... She learned about the Everfall so I guess she was helping someone when she died....

Sarcasm

So I have ranked 10 in Ranger and Assassin, currently still assassin @ lvl 37 (or 38). Should I stay in Assassin? I kinda want to max strider next (its rank 3) but I may miss the parries >.>

Lanrutcon

Is there anyway to tell what you need to do to get three stars for a pawn's bestiary knowledge? I know you need to kill a certain amount and perform certain tasks (abusing a weakness, watching a certain action, or using a debilitation). I also know there are strategy scrolls that can help with this, but is there anyway to know what I actually need to do?
My pawn has been hired a couple of times so I have no way of knowing what strategies she's learned and what her kill count is.

Also, that feel when your pawn comes back with 16,000 RC, a bunch of knowledge (quest, travel, and monster), but has 3 stars... She learned about the Everfall so I guess she was helping someone when she died....

General rule: third star is kill count. You need to kill a lot of shit.

ExoSoul

Banned
finshed the post game, as bbi2 wasnt doing much for me, not really into farming gear in these games (same for the souls games). Amazing game, shame we will probably never see a sequel, but im glad to have finally played it

You didn't beat
Daemon's second form?
or saw the new spawns? you missed out.....

Ugh I got all 13 deviled clothes or whatever from BBI but the quest didn't complete.

There's two sets, you may have the wrong one or a combination of both.

Dragonkin have 3 weak spots:

- Wings for low damage
- Head for medium damage
- Heart for high damage

If you're not hitting any of those spots you might as well stop and find something better to do.

yeah i took pot shots at their heart once it ripped open but even that was taking a while. i think it was because my weapon was fire daggers (and the pawn i was with kept buffing fire due to the plethora of goblins in that area taking pot shots)

You can see the number of kills and actions required on this page of the Dragon's Dogma wiki. There should be a bit more detail of what knowledge you need for each creature at the bottom of their respective page.

Ferr986

yeah i took pot shots at their heart once it ripped open but even that was taking a while. i think it was because my weapon was fire daggers (and the pawn i was with kept buffing fire due to the plethora of goblins in that area taking pot shots)

Drake is fire based so yeah, you won't do much damage. He's weak to ice.

Top Bottom