• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

Lanrutcon

Got me a new coat, lads.

rUAxjF7.jpg

ppor

This is also why the sidequests are so inconsequential, because they are supposed to be; they have zero bearing on the arisen and are literally just about world events, but world events don't concern the arisen anymore, their entire purpose now is the dragon.
Having intricate plotlines that dealt with the arisen, aside from their challenge to the dragon would just detract from their singular purpose; they aren't special to the world, they don't have a bunch of attachments or affiliations, they are a simple person turned bound to a calamity.

The sidequests are just the arisen putting themselves in other people's lives, they are literally just helping out, and then moving on, you're not supposed to get anything substantial from these events.

Not sure I agree with this. I get the Arisen being mute and not emotionally involved with others. But the actual NPCs and questlines could be more compelling. The game builds up your relationship with Quina, but the playoff is meh. Selene has a better quest, but its more in service of setting up lore, same deal with the Dragonforged.

I think Mercedes is the best example of writing because she feels like a living character with her own history, plans for the future, and relevance to the plot, in addition to the worldbuilding from the lore about her homeland. If more characters were like her, the postgame events would hit you in the gut that much more.

! Grace !

Move it, folks.

Is this the same grace period, or is this like generation 24/25 now?

Jeez, I'm still at Deny Salvation and haven't even gotten too far due to wrapping up some quests / fashion's dogma.

Shame I don't really like the look of a lot of BBI sets, despite their stats.

Anyways, what builds do y'all like for mystic knight?

I usually go Flame Riposte, Blessed Trance, and Holy Furor / Abyssal Anguish, then Great Cannon, Ruinous Sigil, and Full Moon Slash.

I usually swap out elements based on what my Pawns have in terms of buffs.

I may swap out FMS with Downcrack, Stone Grove / Forest, Sky Rapture, or Bust Strike depending on how I feel moveset wise.

There's just too many options. Any good skills from other vocations I should look into for my MK? I only have fighter / MK ones at the moment.

Dragonkin have 3 weak spots:

- Wings for low damage
- Head for medium damage
- Heart for high damage

If you're not hitting any of those spots you might as well stop and find something better to do.
Arc of Deliverance against the legs or tail still takes out about half a bar.

controversial questions for you guys

Would you had bought Dragons dogma if it had been completely offline? (no pawn sharing, no asynchronous Ur dragon) no online system period.

controversial questions for you guys

Would you had bought Dragons dogma if it had been completely offline? (no pawn sharing, no asynchronous Ur dragon) no online system period.

Absolutely. I barely interact with the online stuff at all after getting the Autonomy augment for solo play each playthrough.

Not sure I agree with this. I get the Arisen being mute and not emotionally involved with others. But the actual NPCs and questlines could be more compelling. The game builds up your relationship with Quina, but the playoff is meh. Selene has a better quest, but its more in service of setting up lore, same deal with the Dragonforged.

I think Mercedes is the best example of writing because she feels like a living character with her own history, plans for the future, and relevance to the plot, in addition to the worldbuilding from the lore about her homeland. If more characters were like her, the postgame events would hit you in the gut that much more.

I guess they could've been, but they don't have to be, that mercedes felt like a living character to you is good I guess, but it doesn't really matter to the arisen, they still just help out (or don't) and then bounces.
I've heard people say the same thing about the night's champion or madeleine, so I don't think the characters are specifically uncompelling, they just aren't written in a way where every one of them has a big impactful moment.
In the end they are just living the life they are living, not something fine tuned for maximum player engagement; it's ok to not like the characters.

Honestly even Mercedes is inconsequential to you as the Arisen. The only reason you're even interacting with her is because the game sort of forces you to. If you had complete freedom you could ignore everyone and head straight to Grigori to get your heart back. You the Arisen are inconsequential to these people much like them to you. You're not some grand savior or anything, you losing your heart is your own issue and the rest of the world doesn't care nor are they obligated to since it doesn't affect them.

Contrast this to something like Mass Effect where you're literally Space-Jesus and the numerous teammates you meet who are crucial to your Jesusness. If you don't stop the Reapers the known universe is doomed.

In Dragon's Dogma if you fail to kill Grigori then another Arisen will be chosen and the cycle and everyone's life goes on, you died and no one will mourn you or care, because you ultimately don't matter.

As such the sidequests and how the NPCs react to you don't really matter.

As such the sidequests and how the NPCs react to you don't really matter.

Yeah they're more like little side stories where you drop in on the lives of people around Gransys / Grand Soren.

Also, to whoever rented my pawn Aria and got me 30K rift crystals a few days ago: thanks! I may be able to set her pawn inclination up right now with all those riftbucks.

If anyone is looking for a lvl 38-40 Ranger with decent gear and moves, Aria is your best bet!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Chronomancer

Hzoltan69

The way this game handles quests is genuinely stupid. I looked at the wiki just out of curiosity - I seem to have missed 60-70% of the sidequests even though I took my time wandering around most of the areas, but it seems I was always just a step too far ahead in the main quest line. No wonder the whole game seemed rushed and disjointed, my character having no real connection to any of the NPCs. :(

Zaptruder

Banned
Took out Damian V2 on hard mode. With the recommended Conqueror's Periapt & Blast Arrows strategy.

Feels cheap man.

Actually, feels really expensive - but not particularly fun or challenging. At least I got loot! I've been trying to get a LV2/3 short bow, but they just won't drop.

Got a LV3 long bow instead. Using ranger... and I gotta say, arrows without blast arrows just feel weak and pathetic. Especially on more demanding opponents. Guess arrow users are doomed to carry around stacks and stacks of blast arrows in BBI for any reasonably tough enemy.

... and of course, when you do use them, shit's too easy.

I guess that's their way of putting legit cheats in the game... you want easy mode, then do this mundane and trivial stuff that slows down the game for you!

Ryne

Sorry to the owner of Kayla, she fell over a cliff and I couldn't get to her to revive her in time.

I used her for quite a while, and went to rehire her but she's too far above my level now :(

I guess that's their way of putting legit cheats in the game... you want easy mode, then do this mundane and trivial stuff that slows down the game for you!

Iirc part of the problem with ranger is that their main stat gain is stamina, whereas arrow damage depends on strength. As such, if you level an assassin and change to ranger? that damn longbow tears daimon apart even without blast arrows. Pop some periapts and you can legit clear daimon p2 twice with a single weal.

Tbh daimon is pretty much a 1-2 hit ko boss, so making it a dps rush battle aint exactly unfair. Fuck that explosive immolate of his.

silva1991

I have now the best archistaf in the game and I haven't played as a sorcerer in forever

how are sorcerers against dark bishop? I want to dragonforge my staf,

I have now the best archistaf in the game and I haven't played as a sorcerer in forever

how are sorcerers against dark bishop? I want to dragonforge my staf,

Cast fulmination (since aint no way you gon carry around dark affinity for bbi)
Sit under him

wait

ta-da

this exact same strategy also works to cheese archydra. Will lop off heads nonstop.

Can also try with gicel, but that takes, like, more than two button presses.

his cursed dragon has no crystal, so holy focused bolt brings it down ridiculously fast.

Sit under him

wait

ta-da

his cursed dragon has no crystal, so holy focused bolt brings it down ridiculously fast.

Maelstrom is actually dark element, so you could just use that after popping a jewel of silence/casting silentium.

What do I do in post-game? Just BBI or is there an end boss for Everfall?

You finish the game, load your cleared save and go do BBI.

silva1991

Sit under him

wait

ta-da

this exact same strategy also works to cheese archydra. Will lop off heads nonstop.

Alright then, silencing him and then fulmination/maelstrom it is.

Fuuuu!

Got gifted a BBI lvl 3 weapon. Went and got it purified and it was a longbow that was a huge upgrade over what I had. My controller has a short in it so sometimes it spazzes out....and it did when I pressed start to save and quit so instead it quit without exiting.

Which means I lost the item lol...fuck.

Maelstrom is actually dark element, so you could just use that after popping a jewel of silence/casting silentium.

You finish the game, load your cleared save and go do BBI.

wait ,wait he is asking is there is more to do in the ever fall after he beat the dragon,there is still more items enemies to be fought and the "true ending" to be discovered if he goes to the ever fall.

Is there any reason to not do BBI the first playthrough?

Also how does gear work in ng+? Does it get boosted again making end game gear in pt1 useless or does the gear have the exact same stats in each pt?

Fuuuu!

Got gifted a BBI lvl 3 weapon. Went and got it purified and it was a longbow that was a huge upgrade over what I had. My controller has a short in it so sometimes it spazzes out....and it did when I pressed start to save and quit so instead it quit without exiting.

Didn't the game save after you got the item? It should've. Checkpoint save

wait ,wait he is asking is there is more to do in the ever fall after he beat the dragon,there is still more items enemies to be fought and the "true ending" to be discovered if he goes to the ever fall.

Oh yeah, he should go through the everfall.

Is there any reason to not do BBI the first playthrough?
Because it assumes you've finished the game at least once, it isn't really meant for your first playthrough.

Ferr986

Iirc part of the problem with ranger is that their main stat gain is stamina, whereas arrow damage depends on strength. As such, if you level an assassin and change to ranger? that damn longbow tears daimon apart even without blast arrows. Pop some periapts and you can legit clear daimon p2 twice with a single weal.

Tbh daimon is pretty much a 1-2 hit ko boss, so making it a dps rush battle aint exactly unfair. Fuck that explosive immolate of his.

Yep, also Fighter/Warrior Strengh augments are useful. I think you get around 30% more strenght with both?

I should really get them for my Ranger but I'm too lazy....

*reads up on deathly arrow*
*realizes that its damage is multiplied if timed properly*
*finds an eliminator to test it*
BANG
*50% of its health disappears, is sent flying*

WELL THEN!
Yep, also Fighter/Warrior Strengh augments are useful. I think you get around 30% more strenght with both?

That is indeed correct.

A high str ranger is so broken im pretty close to just removing opportunism and the other climbing skills. No point. Tenfold all day erryday

I feel the same way. Waiting for post game to do all the optimization stuff.

That is indeed correct.

A high str ranger is so broken im pretty close to just removing opportunism and the other climbing skills. No point. Tenfold all day erryday

Don't really need them with skull splitter. If anyone does get close enough, you can just use that and go to town.

GJS

Fuuuu!

Game saves when you rest to get your gifts so you should still have the cursed item? Purify it again and it should give you the same longbow, there are only 2 other items it could give you depending on your vocation.

Top Bottom