• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

The only other class that needs to consider both is Mystic Knight. Every other class is mostly one or the other.

Magick Archer - Ability dependent (all bow abilities are magickal, not all dagger attacks are magickal)
Strider/Warrior/Fighter/Assassin/Ranger - All Physical (almost always - some abilities can do magickal damage but they're very rare)
Mage/Sorcerer - All Magickal (except their basic push attack, all of their attacks are 100% magickal)
Mystic Knight - Ability dependent (Great Cannon's magickal damage is based on current weapon enchant, including any permanent enchants the weapon has, but also does half of its damage as physical - most other abilities are either all physical or all magickal, indicated by whether or not they're colored abilities, which indicates typing, such as orange for a fire-based attack)
Ok, so basically this order http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Daggers it's not "correct" because it's ordered with both physical and magical attack in mind?
Wait. I thought that for example, chilling razors, have bot phys and magick, but if I use hundred kisses it's only the phys part that counts? I thought that the dagger itself did magical damage too (and so it counts)

ExoSoul

Banned
Yeeeeah, I'm done with Dragons Dogma.

Fuck this. This is not a well designed encounter. This is a "Nah fuck it just add more monsters, who cares about balance" encounter.

Chimeras 1st, then hellhounds then wight.

Ok, so basically this order http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Daggers it's not "correct" because it's ordered with both physical and magical attack in mind?
Wait. I thought that for example, chilling razors, have bot phys and magick, but if I use hundred kisses it's only the phys part that counts? I thought that the dagger itself did magical damage too (and so it counts)

Weapons with split damage will do physical and magical damage with regular hits and skills.
Regular weapons will only do physical damage and will disrgard your M. Attack stat.

The only other class that needs to consider both is Mystic Knight. Every other class is mostly one or the other.

Magick Archer - Ability dependent (all bow abilities are magickal, not all dagger attacks are magickal)
Strider/Warrior/Fighter/Assassin/Ranger - All Physical (almost always - some abilities can do magickal damage but they're very rare)
Mage/Sorcerer - All Magickal (except their basic push attack, all of their attacks are 100% magickal)
Mystic Knight - Ability dependent (Great Cannon's magickal damage is based on current weapon enchant, including any permanent enchants the weapon has, but also does half of its damage as physical - most other abilities are either all physical or all magickal, indicated by whether or not they're colored abilities, which indicates typing, such as orange for a fire-based attack)

This is just wrong.

Frigor and Gicel deal both physical and magical damage.
Strider/Assassin have skills with split damage.
MK - element is based on the weapon enchant, damage is pure magickal for the cannon.

Cyrano

No, but only the physical part of the attack gains damage benefits from the Hundred Kisses skill. The magick damage, were you to separate it from the physical piece of Hundred Kisses, would still do the same amount of damage had you not used a skill to attack the enemy. It's why for purely physical skills, it's better to scale it with just your ATK stat and thus, weapons which scale purely from the ATK stat.

Basically any given skill that you use applies some damage buff to a given attack and that attack can either be physical or magickal. Magickal attacks will gain extra damage from your magick attack stat and physical from your physical attack stat.

Easiest way to think about it would be like a multiplier. Hundred Kisses multiplies physical damage, but not magickal damage. A magick attack like Comestion multiplies magickal damage.
This is just wrong.

Frigor and Gicel deal both physical and magical damage.
Strider/Assassin have skills with split damage.
MK - element is based on the weapon enchant, damage is pure magickal for the cannon.
You're right about Frigor and Gicel and some Strider/Assassin skills, but they aren't used very often (thus why I didn't mention them - the majority of skills for Assassin/Strider classes have no associated elemental damage and most spells for Mage/Sorcerer have no associated physical properties).
MK cannon is not based on weapon enchant unless you have an active weapon enchant (permanently enchanted weapons function differently). If you don't use a skill-based weapon enchant the cannon works just like you're hitting the enemy with your sword. You can bring down golems with a Great Cannon quite easily.

Mupod

so I'm 51, have a Devilsbane I got from a friend and I can now use it without stamina penalties. My gear otherwise is not great, only two pieces of BBI stuff. All my wyrmforged items were heavy armor since I was a warrior, I switched to Assassin recently, don't have a bow or shield worth a damn though.

I progressed in BBI down past the sewer area, saw
Death
again, ran for my life from it and picked up another Void Key in the next area. I did not seem to be any match for the enemy that shows up afterwards. Am I supposed to be running from these enemies or am I just underleveled/undergeared? Dunno if I'm down for 5+ hours of mindless grinding, I have other games I would rather finish before XCOM.

I did go take on the chained up super cyclops. That took forever, he started going crazy at low health and my only option was to whack his ankles for 2 life bars. Couldn't keep my pawns alive for more than a few seconds as they would all just go walk into its feet. Eventually won though. Felt bad for cheesing the fight, looked up a youtube video to see how you were supposed to do it...and the first one I saw, he did the exact same thing as me except for the WHOLE fight.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
If you don't use a skill-based weapon enchant the cannon works just like you're hitting the enemy with your sword. You can bring down golems with a Great Cannon quite easily.

That's not true. Using Great Magic Cannon with a frost mace (perma-enchanted, not skill-enchanted) will make the cannon do Frost damage and freeze enemies. Holy weapons will cause the GMC to do holy damage etc. It's just that the vfx for the cannon look neutral even if your weapon has a permanent enchant, the cannon only looks different with a skill enchant.

Unless that's what you were saying and I misinterpreted. Anyway the wiki explains it in great detail http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Great_Cannon

Cyrano

That's not true. Using Great Magic Cannon with a frost mace (perma-enchanted, not skill-enchanted) will make the cannon do Frost damage and freeze enemies. Holy weapons will cause the GMC to do holy damage etc. It's just that the vfx for the cannon look neutral even if your weapon has a permanent enchant, the cannon only looks different with a skill enchant.

Unless that's what you were saying ans I misinterpreted. Anyway the wiki explains is in great detail http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Great_Cannon
The wiki explains that the Frost enchant is only part of the damage and that great cannon splits it up. So again, it does physical damage. I've beaten Golems and other creatures immune to magick with Almace using Great Cannon. Great Cannon scales from both stats and does both physical and magickal damage if it's not actively enchanted.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
The wiki explains that the Frost enchant is only part of the damage and that great cannon splits it up. So again, it does physical damage. I've beaten Golems and other creatures immune to magick with Almace using Great Cannon. Great Cannon scales from both stats and does both physical and magickal damage if it's not actively enchanted.

I wasn't trying to suggest otherwise. I think we're essentially saying the same thing. It still does physical damage even if your weapon is enchanted, because a melee weapon always has a physical damage component.

yamo

Anyone else having problems with taking Screenshots? Both the in-game screenshot functionality and using F12 as usual with steam games has stopped working for me. :(

papo

So I have a question. I have played the game before when it initially released and during the first Dark Arisen release. I am currently in what I think is the last or next to last mission on the main game.
When to old arisen and he is sending me to the tainted mountain

The thing is I remember
that at some point the game changed, the creatures changed and everything turned a bit harder. I know I fought the cockatrice in Grand soren, but I remember there war another fight/event close after passing the bridge that is close to Grand soren to the North
. Have I not reached that point?

No, but only the physical part of the attack gains damage benefits from the Hundred Kisses skill. The magick damage, were you to separate it from the physical piece of Hundred Kisses, would still do the same amount of damage had you not used a skill to attack the enemy. It's why for purely physical skills, it's better to scale it with just your ATK stat and thus, weapons which scale purely from the ATK stat.

Basically any given skill that you use applies some damage buff to a given attack and that attack can either be physical or magickal. Magickal attacks will gain extra damage from your magick attack stat and physical from your physical attack stat.

Easiest way to think about it would be like a multiplier. Hundred Kisses multiplies physical damage, but not magickal damage. A magick attack like Comestion multiplies magickal damage.
So for example, a weapon with 300 Phys and 300 Magick, using a physical skill that gives a 0.5 bonus would be : 450 Phys damage + 300 Magick damage, where the phys damage is calculated against Phys def and magick damage against Magick def?
so again for example, an enemy with 200 Phys res and 200 Magick res ---> (450 - 200) + (300 - 200) = 250 + 100 = 350 damage ?

iosefe

So I have a question. I have played the game before when it initially released and during the first Dark Arisen release. I am currently in what I think is the last or next to last mission on the main game.
When to old arisen and he is sending me to the tainted mountain

The thing is I remember
that at some point the game changed, the creatures changed and everything turned a bit harder. I know I fought the cockatrice in Grand soren, but I remember there war another fight/event close after passing the bridge that is close to Grand soren to the North
. Have I not reached that point?
Soon. Just continue on

Golnei

It's super easy. If you can quickly down then dragon the Bishop is essentially useless. His spells are slow, telepgraphed and dodgable. Just keep killing the dragon as he rises, and use 6/9 bolt on the Bishop. If you got Exploding Rivets, spam that when the Bishop comes down and then run in and slap it with your knives to detonate the rivets. This will ragdoll the Bishop. Silence arrows are cute but hardly necessary.

Just remember the Bishop is almost no threat, if it takes you ages to down him the first time then so what?

The problem I'm having there is that none of my bow skills are doing any (visible) damage at all, since they seem to be negated by his magic resistance. Trying to use daggers alone seems to be taking a lot longer - regardless of how slow the magic is, it's a lot more likely I'll misjudge something and fall into a one-hit-kill attack when the fight drags out for that long, not to mention the pawns doing nothing but dying and being revived. Explosive Rivets sounds useful, but I'll need to leave to set that as one of my skills as well. Though that's not as much of an issue as I thought it was initially - the first time I went through the Corridor of Emptiness, I managed to miss the shortcut completely.

Cyrano

So for example, a weapon with 300 Phys and 300 Magick, using a physical skill that gives a 0.5 bonus would be : 450 Phys damage + 300 Magick damage, where the phys damage is calculated against Phys def and magick damage against Magick def?
so again for example, an enemy with 200 Phys res and 200 Magick res ---> (450 - 200) + (300 - 200) = 250 + 100 = 350 damage ?
Yeah. And if that same weapon were to just be physical, it would be 600 * 0.5 and thus do 900 instead of 750. In the case of such an attack, MDEF would do nothing since the attack is entirely physical, and physical defense would mitigate 200 of the physical damage, leaving you with 700 damage. If defense is above the amount of damage being dealt, it is possible for enemies to mitigate all damage you would be doing as well, depending on their defense.

Enemies that are immune to stuff receive multipliers so they are literally unable to be hurt by certain types of damage (Golems, for example, receive a * 0 multiplier to any magick attack they receive, and thus cannot be hurt by Magick-based attacks).

Lanrutcon

The problem I'm having there is that none of my bow skills are doing any (visible) damage at all, since they seem to be negated by his magic resistance. Trying to use daggers alone seems to be taking a lot longer - regardless of how slow the magic is, it's a lot more likely I'll misjudge something and fall into a one-hit-kill attack when the fight drags out for that long, not to mention the pawns doing nothing but dying and being revived. Explosive Rivets sounds useful, but I'll need to leave to set that as one of my skills as well. Though that's not as much of an issue as I thought it was initially - the first time I went through the Corridor of Emptiness, I managed to miss the shortcut completely.

Hire 2 Strider pawns with Bishop knowledge, and they'll pound him when he comes down.

If you want to switch to Strider and Silence/Blast arrow him down, that works too. Also: Skullsplitter works well when the Bishop descends.

Question: do you wear the +10% magic augment from Mage and +20% magic augment from Sorcerer on your MA? They help a lot.

ExoSoul

Banned
You're right about Frigor and Gicel and some Strider/Assassin skills, but they aren't used very often (thus why I didn't mention them - the majority of skills for Assassin/Strider classes have no associated elemental damage and most spells for Mage/Sorcerer have no associated physical properties).

MK cannon is not based on weapon enchant unless you have an active weapon enchant (permanently enchanted weapons function differently). If you don't use a skill-based weapon enchant the cannon works just like you're hitting the enemy with your sword. You can bring down golems with a Great Cannon quite easily.

If you're not using Frigor/Gicel you're not playing right.

And when I said the skill element was based on the weapon's element I was still refering to the MC. It will have its magical damage changed to that elements instead of neutral magic.

yamo

Posting if anyone want a Dragon's Dogma related wallpaper

WpGb.jpg

Vuze

Update just went live for me I think (10,1mb).
diff:
nativePC\rom\gui\GUIuGUIScreenShot.arc
nativePC\rom\message\message.pck
DDDA.exe

So all your mods except for removal of the watermark in the screenshot interface should be fine.

emag

Cool thanks, I just didn't remember and didn't want to go to a point of no return where I cannot try BBI.

It's not a big deal if you go past that point in your playthrough anyway. You can go immediately to BBI in new game plus. I mean, after the intro with the dragon, which takes what, five minutes, tops?

void666

Banned
I've been spending more time tweaking my pawn looks than anything else. In a span of hours she turned from hot red head to feminine grey hair guy, then big headed child and finally hot goth elf. I love how you can create unique visuals mixing clothes and armor. I'll miss this level of customization when i play other RPGs.

Anyway i decided to fight that chained cyclops in BBI. I was getting ready when all of a sudden a dragon appeared. While i was fighting the dragon, the cyclops freed himself.
Now i have a dragon, an angry cyclops and 3 dumb pawns in that hellish pit. Pawns go down obviously. How can i teach them "cheese" techniques? lol
I killed the dragon by myself and got all of my stuff dragonforged. Not bad.

papo

It's not a big deal if you go past that point in your playthrough anyway. You can go immediately to BBI in new game plus. I mean, after the intro with the dragon, which takes what, five minutes, tops?

Oh so BBI ( or maybe event he game in general) does not scale in lvl/difficulty in NG+?

friday

I think I am finally getting some traction in this game. I have leveled and gear up to a point where travel is not constantly lethal and I started the Wyrm Hunt Quest which seem much better than any of the quest so far.

The Altar of the Water gods dungeon was fun. So much gear and exp.

Lanrutcon

I think I am finally getting some traction in this game. I have leveled and gear up to a point where travel is not constantly lethal and I started the Wyrm Hunt Quest which seem much better than any of the quest so far.

The Altar of the Water gods dungeon was fun. So much gear and exp.

So there are actually several spots in the game where you can get really good gear, without having to be high level or in a certain quest. The water temple, female bandit fortress, knoll and catacombs being just a few places you can visit early to gear up.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
No, there is a hard mode for a reason...dunno why people keep thinking this when it has been repeated over and over in this thread.

Because not everyone reads the entire thread and for a lot of games NG+ scales in difficulty.

Styles

After 30 minutes, 10 wakestones and 4 health bars this Awakened BABOON decides to SPAM Bolides and Seisms back-to-back-TO BACK. That ain't right.

Guess I'll have to farm weapons and upgrades tomorrow. SMDH.

garath

So thanks to toastytoast (thanks so much!) I have a nice sword for my assassin. I've been using daggers this entire time, what are the go to sword skills for an assassin?

Alternatively the same lvl3 BBI weapon could just be a wand for my mage pawn. She'd dish out the damage like crazy that way. I'm torn.

Sorry to the owner of Kayla, she fell over a cliff and I couldn't get to her to revive her in time.

I used her for quite a while, and went to rehire her but she's too far above my level now :(

Ah, just read this. No worries :) you're like me, I've been using the same two pawns for about 5 days now. I'd feel bad if I killed them. They deserve to go back in glory.

Glad she helped!

Because not everyone reads the entire thread and for a lot of games NG+ scales in difficulty.

Like what?
Not that it matters because this is a capcom game and they never have scaled in difficulty in the past 20 years.

There is a search feature, searching for difficulty would've given all the answers, instead of making assumptions.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Man BBI is so cool. Not sure how far in I am (got to a bigger evil eye type boss but didn't kill it yet) but I'd buy an entire game of just this gameplay mixed with this type of dungeon crawling. I'm getting a 3D Castlevania vibe from it the same way I did playing Dark Souls for the first time. I wish it were just a tad more labyrinthine and there was no minimap (I know I can turn it off, but come on...) and I think it'd be perfect. Really liking the thrill of getting randomized loot too. This is pretty handily among the best DLC/expansions I've ever played, depending on how long it lasts.

I have been finding the game a bit easy since I got my Mystic Knight to top rank. I only ever used my main pawn but decided to throw her off a cliff a while ago to go solo. I am level 47 at the moment and just did the Griffin Hunt last night.

Am I over leveled?

Does the game scale to the number of pawns you use in any way? Changes to the number of enemies or the amount of EXP you get?

Its not like I'm particularly skilled at this type of game and I never played DD on consoles. Ruinous Sigil, Great Cannon and full moon slash just destroys everything, and Abyssal Anguish + Elemental Riposte + Elemental Trance makes me a beast. I'm still enjoying the combat but the lack of challenge and not unlocking any more skills for my preferred vocation is taking the shine off things.

Playing on normal by the way.

Ryne

Scather/Mitigator a good match for a Fighter Pawn?

I want the pawn to go and fight the small fry while I take on the big baddies like Cyclops and such. I had my pawn on scather only, but she just ended up fighting the strong stuff and I had to take care of the smaller guys. Changed her to Mitigator/Challanger and she just runs back and forth looking confused.

Yeah. And if that same weapon were to just be physical, it would be 600 * 0.5 and thus do 900 instead of 750. In the case of such an attack, MDEF would do nothing since the attack is entirely physical, and physical defense would mitigate 200 of the physical damage, leaving you with 700 damage. If defense is above the amount of damage being dealt, it is possible for enemies to mitigate all damage you would be doing as well, depending on their defense.

Enemies that are immune to stuff receive multipliers so they are literally unable to be hurt by certain types of damage (Golems, for example, receive a * 0 multiplier to any magick attack they receive, and thus cannot be hurt by Magick-based attacks).

Thanks!
The only method to travel back to the entrance of BBI is with liftstones? If I need to purify a weapon and don't have them I need to go all the way back?

Scather/Mitigator a good match for a Fighter Pawn?

I want the pawn to go and fight the small fry while I take on the big baddies like Cyclops and such. I had my pawn on scather only, but she just ended up fighting the strong stuff and I had to take care of the smaller guys. Changed her to Mitigator/Challanger and she just runs back and forth looking confused.

Mitigator/challenger
Scather makes them rush the strongest enemies first.

I guess your pawn gets confused if there are a lot of ranged enemies as well, though that shouldn't really happen with a good bestiary, mitigator/utilitarian would then be better if you are having problems with mitigator/challenger

Is there a good place to level if you're not strong enough for BBI? I'm at the end of the game and am level 50 but I'm still getting wrecked in Bitterblack.

Yeah so the Ur Dragon can go fuck right off.

Good! now go and become the UR dragon for us to kill eternally you low life Arisen!
:p

Edit: what are you playing as ...I recommend the assassin and for you to equip some (Liquid vim)
Assassin has an invincible technique use that with liquid vim for unlimited invincibility for a large amount of time.

Liquid vim is created with:
-ambrosial meat and pickled mushrooms
-sour ambrosial meat and pickled mushrooms
-giant fish and pickled mushrooms
-giant rank fish and pickled mushrooms
-unspeakable meat and imperial acid.

Pachael

Finished the game, but as I installed to an external drive that credits (file not found) bug hit me, which took me out of the interesting endgame. Too bad, BBI next I gather.

MK and Assassin classes are quite fun, though.

Ryne

Mitigator/challenger
Scather makes them rush the strongest enemies first.

I guess your pawn gets confused if there are a lot of ranged enemies as well, though that shouldn't really happen with a good bestiary, mitigator/utilitarian would then be better if you are having problems with mitigator/challenger

Perfect, thanks for the answer. I'll just keep her the way she is then.

The patch didn't fix my resolution problem. It keeps resetting once I exit the game. Anyone else have a fix for this?

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Finished the game, but as I installed to an external drive that credits (file not found) bug hit me, which took me out of the interesting endgame. Too bad, BBI next I gather.

MK and Assassin classes are quite fun, though.

Heads up, BBI has the same bug when you finish it. Might wanna move it over to your Windows drive.

Golnei

I've been spending more time tweaking my pawn looks than anything else. In a span of hours she turned from hot red head to feminine grey hair guy, then big headed child and finally hot goth elf. I love how you can create unique visuals mixing clothes and armor. I'll miss this level of customization when i play other RPGs.

It's a shame you can't save to separate slots when you're editing your pawn and Arisen, with the current system you're discouraged from experimenting if you don't want to lose your current characters. Backing up a save or using the save manager helps, but it is a little clunky.

Man BBI is so cool. Not sure how far in I am (got to a bigger evil eye type boss but didn't kill it yet) but I'd buy an entire game of just this gameplay mixed with this type of dungeon crawling. I'm getting a 3D Castlevania vibe from it the same way I did playing Dark Souls for the first time. I wish it were just a tad more labyrinthine and there was no minimap (I know I can turn it off, but come on...) and I think it'd be perfect. Really liking the thrill of getting randomized loot too. This is pretty handily among the best DLC/expansions I've ever played, depending on how long it lasts.

The progression is Castlevania-esque, but for me; BBI also brought back a lot of memories of Vagrant Story. Along with the dungeon-crawling progression and general distribution of difficulty / enemy types, the whole aesthetic and even parts of the bestiary itself have some overlap. In any case, I definitely wouldn't mind an entire game modeled after Bitterblack Isle - though hopefully with fewer reused rooms
and Matsuno somehow writing it

Sanctuary

Why are the pawns so fucking stupid when it comes to Ur-Dragon (offline)?

"It's weak to holy master!" - Mage/Sorcerer that proceeds to either just stand directly in front of it casting Maelstrom or Ingle (both have Holy Affinity).

"I'll scale it and attack from above!" - Warrior that runs circles around the bottom legs, never attempting to scale and barely ever attacking.

It feels like I am soloing it almost the majority of the time and about the only thing the pawns ever do is buff my weapon (which is already split holy).

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Then I dunno what to tell you, seems you've got a skewed perception of me.

Nah I'd say he's got you dead to rights. You come across as super condescending most of the time you're "correcting" others.

Top Bottom