• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

Indignate

Why are the pawns so fucking stupid when it comes to Ur-Dragon (offline)?

"It's weak to holy master!" - Mage/Sorcerer that proceeds to either just stand directly in front of it casting Maelstrom or Ingle (both have Holy Affinity).

"I'll scale it and attack from above!" - Warrior that runs circles around the bottom legs, never attempting to scale and barely ever attacking.

It feels like I am soloing it almost the majority of the time and about the only thing the pawns ever do is buff my weapon (which is already split holy).

Their inclinations probably having them do different things than what they're saying. They're most likely trying to do that thing, but are then easily distracted by an inclination instead.

papo

No, there is a hard mode for a reason...dunno why people keep thinking this when it has been repeated over and over in this thread.

I haven't read it in the thread, just a question.

I'm serious when I say it's jarring every time I come in here to see you being bothered by questions.

Didn't even know before I responded, but yeah. It's just question about the game in it's OT.

Well that was boring. Did Hard NG+ until Greg just using the stinger move on everything. If I didn't get side tracked on BBI I doubt it took more than 90 minutes. Shame this doesn't have a ramping difficulty like Souls

Durante

Patch #1 Notes said:
- Lantern binding issue - When full lantern becomes half-full, it will still be bound to the hotkey. (previously "half full" and "empty" were treated as separate inventory items)
This is the only issue in the game I actually noticed, and I never expected it to be patched.

Neat.

This is the only issue in the game I actually noticed, and I never expected it to be patched.

Neat.

oh god, this makes me so happy

---

Also, question. So I never played Dark Arison originally, just the regular game (I don't think I did much of Everfall/Ur Dragon stuff either). What is the general path of doing the post game content? Say, from after defeating
the dragon
?

I changed my Pawn to a Challenger/Mitigator/Utilitarion Ranger. Gave her Reset. Now she just rolls around and reset's the roll. And she keeps doing it.

It's hilarious. She won't attack but just keep aggro by rolling around. This is the best.

Golnei

Also, question. So I never played Dark Arison originally, just the regular game (I don't think I did much of Everfall/Ur Dragon stuff either). What is the general path of doing the post game content? Say, from after defeating
the dragon
?

The first thing I did was to go and kill
the newly-spawning dragonkin for their tears
, then go through BBI up to the first shortcut. I've only done a few of the Everfall chambers, but so far they'd probably be fairly manageable as soon as they're available. The Chamber of Fate in particular can have a very fun set of enemies.

emag

I have been finding the game a bit easy since I got my Mystic Knight to top rank. I only ever used my main pawn but decided to throw her off a cliff a while ago to go solo. I am level 47 at the moment and just did the Griffin Hunt last night.

Am I over leveled?

Does the game scale to the number of pawns you use in any way? Changes to the number of enemies or the amount of EXP you get?

47 is over-leveled for the main game. BBI and parts of Everfall are all that will be challenging at that level.

mfaex

That new Ur Dragon
laugh.gif

Got my lv 200 and 100% achievement (yay me!1). Extremely fun game, worth the hype. Now to rest until Disgaea comes out. Or maybe Tales, or SF5 idk.

How do you get Skull Splitter on a Ranger? I thought that was unique to Striders.

I thought you just acquire the skill on the Strider vocation, set your skill and then switch vocations to Ranger and it'll still be there, right?

Or does it not work that way? I know I retain my Full Moon Slash when I switch from MK to Fighter, since they're the same weapon type.

If it doesn't work, then my current Ranger pawn plans are shot lol. I may keep her as a Strider but I really like the tenfold and poison shots and the range of long bows.

Lanrutcon

I thought you just acquire the skill on the Strider vocation, set your skill and then switch vocations to Ranger and it'll still be there, right?

Or does it not work that way? I know I retain my Full Moon Slash when I switch from MK to Fighter, since they're the same weapon type.

Nah. Certain skills are class specific. Like, a Mage can't cast all the Sorcerer stuff. A Strider can't use all the Assassin dagger bits. Assassin's can't do all the Strider bow and dagger bits. Etc etc.

Sarcasm

So now audio is louder, but I get pops when I run (not all the time).

Also this affinity system sounds scary, I don't want to get stuck with a certain someone.

So now audio is louder, but I get pops when I run (not all the time).

Also this affinity system sounds scary, I don't want to get stuck with a certain someone.
I did but it's a really minor part that I didn't consider it a big deal other than silly game design.

Nah. Certain skills are class specific. Like, a Mage can't cast all the Sorcerer stuff. A Strider can't use all the Assassin dagger bits. Assassin's can't do all the Strider bow and dagger bits. Etc etc.

Well Darn.

Oh well, leveling up Strider for a bit was good for my pawn's stats. I'm currently using the DCP trick to max out most of the classes and augments I want to experiment with, so I've got time.

Now the question is, do I prefer ranger skills or strider skills? Currently my pawn prefers to climb and use dagger skills, but that's more because she's got the Scather / Mitigator inclination. Going to change that to Challenger / Mitigator / Ultilitarian as soon as all the elixirs finish forging.

Man, I love the post-game. It's super fun getting to "spec" out my characters to suit my playstyle now. Just need to find some sorcerers who focus on AOE and fighting more than buffing / healing.

Lanrutcon

Well Darn.

Oh well, leveling up Strider for a bit was good for my pawn's stats. I'm currently using the DCP trick to max out most of the classes and augments I want to experiment with, so I've got time.

Now the question is, do I prefer ranger skills or strider skills? Currently my pawn prefers to climb and use dagger skills, but that's more because she's got the Scather / Mitigator inclination. Going to change that to Challenger / Mitigator / Ultilitarian as soon as all the elixirs finish forging.

Man, I love the post-game. It's super fun getting to "spec" out my characters to suit my playstyle now. Just need to find some sorcerers who focus on AOE and fighting more than buffing / healing.

Rangers are sadly a 1 trick pony. It's a fucking amazing trick, but it's all they have.

How much do you love Ten Fold Arrow?

Rangers are sadly a 1 trick pony. It's a fucking amazing trick, but it's all they have.

How much do you love Ten Fold Arrow?

Yeah, and with pawns it's not like they spam it as frequently as a player would.

Seems like strider may be more useful to me, especially if my pawn keeps the affinity for climbing beasts after switching her inclinations.

I still feel Challenger / Mitigator / Utilitarian will be a good lineup of inclinations regardless of Strider or Ranger.

Well that was boring. Did Hard NG+ until Greg just using the stinger move on everything. If I didn't get side tracked on BBI I doubt it took more than 90 minutes. Shame this doesn't have a ramping difficulty like Souls

I was expecting it to be more difficult on NG+, but as soon as I realized that it wasn't I just stopped playing. I know that I can go with Hard Mode instead, but it's silly that they offer a NG+ without any difficulty increase by itself. What's the point in having a level 200 cap if the game is going to be ridiculously easy way before that? And from what I've read, hard mode doesn't help much with that either.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, and with pawns it's not like they spam it as frequently as a player would.

Seems like strider may be more useful to me, especially if my pawn keeps the affinity for climbing beasts after switching her inclinations.

I still feel Challenger / Mitigator / Utilitarian will be a good lineup of inclinations regardless of Strider or Ranger.

I've had an amazing Strider pawn for a while now, Ranger pawns are nowhere near as good as they ought to be in my experience. But this strider does skull splitter when she needs to, uses downpour volley effectively (which synergizes really well with Great Cannon), climbs when necessary, etc.

Ullus

Think I might have hit a wall, I'm not having fun anymore. Probably gonna drop it for a while and come back later, gives me time to work through my backlog.
83 hours wasn't bad considering my average playtime.

Phionoxx

I got the credits to roll just fine with both the base game and BBI for what it is worth, with windows partition on a separate drive from where the steam install is.

I'd say no, Hard mode just really adds damage taken and stamina used, it's more tedious than difficult.

I may just start it because you can switch back to normal at any time. I wish you could switch between all 3 difficulties freely though and iirc the only reason that's not in the game is because they didn't want people cheesing for the achievement/trophy. Which is silly because 1) that shouldn't matter, let people cheese if they want, it's a virtual trophy and 2) other devs have managed to get around that issue

anyway when I complete the game I wanna do load game and not start a new game right?

yeah, I'm in the same boat, hopefully it isn't the case. Reizo, you already got through the credits fine?

Yeah, no problems here

I may just start it because you can switch back to normal at any time. I wish you could switch between all 3 difficulties freely though and iirc the only reason that's not in the game is because they didn't want people cheesing for the achievement/trophy. Which is silly because 1) that shouldn't matter, let people cheese if they want, it's a virtual trophy and 2) other devs have managed to get around that issue

anyway when I complete the game I wanna do load game and not start a new game right?

Actually, there's 2 rewards for completing hard mode, a shirt piece and a complete outfit, it's not just achievements.

Yeah, always load game, just pretend the new game option stopped existing the second you made your character.

Lanrutcon

The double stamina cost of Hard completely turns me off. Already having a hard enough time with Stamina consumption as is, even at level 200.

I've had an amazing Strider pawn for a while now, Ranger pawns are nowhere near as good as they ought to be in my experience. But this strider does skull splitter when she needs to, uses downpour volley effectively (which synergizes really well with Great Cannon), climbs when necessary, etc.

Yeah, that sounds pretty nifty. What inclinations does she have, if you can check?

The double stamina cost of Hard completely turns me off. Already having a hard enough time with Stamina consumption as is, even at level 200.

Yeah playing hard mode in this game is just rough. Doubt I ever will, with BBI to keep me busy.

garath

At this point I'm just trying to level up enough to get through the main game onto post game content. It's hard with my limited playtime but I love this game and want to see BBI in all its glory. Thanks so much to the guys giving me a leg up through my pawn Kayla. It's very much appreciated.

My last play session was just running around town doing the fornival eviction quest. I think I need to just lay off the sidequests and burn through the main quest.

KarmaCow

Maybe it's because I've been playing on hard from the start but I have little issue managing stamina, even without spamming stamina items (outside of running). I can only imagine that normal is just non stop tenfold flurry spam and what not.

NG+ really should have just scaled up damage and added more items instead of this half stamina nonsense.

agreed, that being said I never found stamina consumption to be a problem on normal

And for starting NG+ in hard mode do I select hard mode or load game when I go back to the main menu?

Top Bottom