• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting. So really you should only grab pawns around your level? Even if friends have way higher pawns?

I guess hiring pawns around your level is supposed to be the most "balanced" way to play the game? You could also hire a level 200 pawn and balance it out with a pawn 25 levels below yourself or by not hiring a third pawn at all. This way you would still get normal XP, but a pawn that just destroys everything kind of takes some fun out of the game. Just experiment and play the way you like.

Interesting. So really you should only grab pawns around your level? Even if friends have way higher pawns?
I'm going through ng+ right now with only my main pawn cause the game became a cakewalk. Once I found out about the xp thing I haven't hired any pawns higher than me.

emag

I guess hiring pawns around your level is supposed to be the most "balanced" way to play the game?

I prefer having other players' pawns act only as support, so I'll run with a low-level aggro-drawing tank and a low-level healing/buffing mage. My main pawn and I are the stars of the show.

ParityBit

I guess hiring pawns around your level is supposed to be the most "balanced" way to play the game? You could also hire a level 200 pawn and balance it out with a pawn 25 levels below yourself or by not hiring a third pawn at all. This way you would still get normal XP, but a pawn that just destroys everything kind of takes some fun out of the game. Just experiment and play the way you like.

I'm going through ng+ right now with only my main pawn cause the game became a cakewalk. Once I found out about the xp thing I haven't hired any pawns higher than me.

Thanks! There is a lot to learn in this game with the finer nuances.

bati

I made a switch to Hard last night (at lvl 39) and the game instantly became 10x more enjoyable. Now I actually have to block and parry (well, sometimes...) and use my consumables.

I'm having difficulties in BBI, I'm level 52 but my pawns don't enchant my weapons, so I struggle to do damage using enemies weaknesses. I'm still using the final boss dagger, i purified some things but they were all rings....

I'm having difficulties in BBI, I'm level 52 but my pawns don't enchant my weapons, so I struggle to do damage using enemies weaknesses. I'm still using the final boss dagger, i purified some things but they were all rings....

are you sure your pawns actually have enchantment spells active?

i had this one pawn that would grab the explosive cans littered around areas and throw them at enemies.

it was hilarious and surprisingly effective. which inclination does that?

i had this one pawn that would grab the explosive cans littered around areas and throw them at enemies.

it was hilarious and surprisingly effective. which inclination does that?

not sure but one of my favorite moments so far was throwing an explosive barrel as a harpy was diving in to get me

Lanrutcon

Weapons and Armor are rare than rings. They all purify from different items. You want 'Bitterblack Cursed Weapon Level X' for weapons, for example.

man i'm gonna be sad when i get arm gear much better than iron manicae

looks so cool

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What's your pawn called? I got level 3 armor for days.
Servilius, level 140 or so. My Steam name is the same as here.

There actually is a metal golem in BBI, 2 regular ones too.

You want utilitarian as primary or secondary on a strider.
Oh? I haven't seen one in pre-
Daimon
, no golem at all. And I don't remember one from the PS3 but I guess I'm wrong.

Aw yeah gurl. Maybe 40 rings later I'm in there
Daaaamn that is OP. Right now I have this setup available but with two rings. (Each ring has the Magickal Gleam thing as secondary)

I did get a Thousand Kisses/Cutting Wind ring, but I prefer Helm Splitter over Cutting Wind... still, Thousand Kisses, hell yeah. Plus got the Opportunism scroll, woot.

Got my Coat of Shadows finally.
But it's the Coat of Oblivion you want... ;)

Yeah, Legion's Might. Weapon effectively makes pawns unkillable.
I vaguely recall that thing being super glitchy for me on PS3, but I can't remember the details. The wikia page doesn't mention a glitch. Hmm... something about the pawn reviving but then not doing anything anymore or something...?

Assassin seems really ineffective. Dagger attacks don't do very much damage and generally take far too long. It's far more effective to just spam Fivefold Flurry and do sniper headshots, at which point why even bother staying Assassin?

KarmaCow

That's really not helpful. I don't care if Assassin is good late game. I'm level 30-something and bandits take like 10 Spiderbites to kill. Or just 3 headshots. What is the point?

Spiderbite is for poisoning enemies. Assassins get amazing when you have Wind/Gale Harness to boost your speed on everything (running, attacking, climbing) to spam Thousand Kisses as well as chaining counters to be almost invincible.

Spiderbite is for poisoning enemies. Assassins get amazing when you have Wind/Gale Harness to boost your speed on everything (running, attacking, climbing) to spam Thousand Kisses as well as chaining counters to be almost invincible.

Wind Harness just puts your entire character into fast forward? Is that as useful as it sounds?

How exactly does one train a pawn to do something? Is it as simple as performing the action? And for how long roughly.

I want to teach my Ranger pawn to use blast arrows and just spam tenfold flurry but I don't wanna play the Ranger class too much.

I don't think you can teach a pawn to use blast arrows, you might need to put it on their inventory or equip it for them, what you can do is limit their skills like to just one, in this case you want tenfold flurry right, so yeah try that.

Ferr986

Man the affinity system is so fucked.
I had Mercedes as a lover in post game and (ending spoilers)
Madeleine was the one at the beach. Did I just cheat on Mercedes?

Assassin seems really ineffective. Dagger attacks don't do very much damage and generally take far too long. It's far more effective to just spam Fivefold Flurry and do sniper headshots, at which point why even bother staying Assassin?

You might not understand the mechanics of the Assassin right now, but it's okay, have fun
play whatever class you like, some none hybrid classes are still good.But I guarantee that when things start to get serious (say bbi, or post game everfall) you will appreciate the Assassin,magic archer, and mystic knight a bit more.

Rolfgang

To those of you using the Rudy ENB, what kind of performance are you getting?

I've got a 980 but at 1440p it was giving me less than 60fps with the Vanilla ENB preset. Wondering if the Rudy one is more or less of a hit. If I can hit 70-80 fps at 1440p, then I don't have to worry about fights dropping the framerate too low.

With the Resonant ENB preset I get 90-100 FPS with an overclocked 980 Ti on 1440p.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Sent you two BBI Armor 3.
Thanks mate. Hope I get a chest or arm piece this time. Since you said you're swimming in them, I guess I don't need to send you my spare?

Anyone else wants it? Otherwise I'll probably just sell it, since I'm always in need of cash. those 3-star upgrades on BBI gear really drain my gold, even after I was loaded for so long playing on Hard, lol.

Now to go hunt for those level 3 weapons...

IMO get rid of stamina drain on sprint and carry weight. They don't add anything but tedium. Especially late game when you're dungeon crawling and you're overburdened the whole time, all it adds is more tedious inventory management, moving stuff between yourself and pawns. It's just meaningless busywork. I started enjoying the game a lot more once I felt free to move (default run speed is so gd slow) and I didn't have to deal with so much inventory crap.

Some will obviously disagree, but I'm just saying if you find that stuff getting in the way of your enjoyment, get rid of it. Who cares?

What makes it tedious (imo) is how many buttons presses you need to do to transfer items over. back->a-a-right-a (and that's excluding moving between menus)

I have a controller with 10 extra buttons for macros and stuff. So that autofire button comes in handy for virtually anything in the game. . . approaching doors, people, transferring items, etc. just hold it down and call it a day. Then I have macros for "deposit all" items in the inn and some others. I would probably stop playing if I had to do things "normally".

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Pro-tip: at the storage, you can transfer all items from a category by hitting select.

Yes, I played for hundreds of hours on PS3 before realizing...

Ryne

Thanks mate. Hope I get a chest or arm piece this time. Since you said you're swimming in them, I guess I don't need to send you my spare?

Anyone else wants it? Otherwise I'll probably just sell it, since I'm always in need of cash. those 3-star upgrades on BBI gear really drain my gold, even after I was loaded for so long playing on Hard, lol.

If you still have it, I would like to take it off your hands lol

Appreciate that tip with items, didn't know that select did that

You might not understand the mechanics of the Assassin right now, but it's okay, have fun
play whatever class you like, some none hybrid classes are still good.But I guarantee that when things start to get serious (say bbi, or post game everfall) you will appreciate the Assassin,magic archer, and mystic knight a bit more.

It's really not fun at all. I barely get to use my daggers because their damage pales in comparison to the bow, and the enemies are so stupid that they don't even engage me, like having 3 pawns just actively makes the game much worse. Feels like I might as well switch class.

Lanrutcon

I'm good for armor. I think the only piece I'm missing is a warrior helm, and I don't play Warrior/Fighters.

It's really not fun at all. I barely get to use my daggers because their damage pales in comparison to the bow, and the enemies are so stupid that they don't even engage me, like having 3 pawns just actively makes the game much worse. Feels like I might as well switch class.

What daggers are you using? There are some good ones available easily from the start if you visit the tip of the spear.

But I like bows too.

0d3bZCp.jpg

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Just spent over 2.5 million gold in a single trip to the shop. BBI upgrades....

Any better gold farming than wakestones?

fr0st

Banned
Just spent over 2.5 million gold in a single trip to the shop. BBI upgrades....

Any better gold farming than wakestones?
How mfasf can you kill ur dragon? I think you can farm the guards near the dukes place if your on hard mode and use some gold increasing drop thing.

Top Bottom