• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

silva1991

Now that I got every lv3 weapons and finished the game twice I think I'm done with this game

the combat, monsters designs, bosses and music are top notch, but outside of that the game is very flawed and filled with annoying, mediocre content and bad design decisions and sidequests and story are below subpar

very good and flawed game

7/10 without the DLC

8/10 with DLC

had so much fun with the game.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
WTF, did they patch out the BBI lv3 weapon in those chests like in the Bloodless Stockade in the PC version? I don't remember that chest being that hard to save-scum but I'm just not getting a drop this time around...
Anyone had any luck with this chest? I moved on 'cause it seems like a waste of time but I'm wondering if it's even possible anymore...

Zaptruder

Banned
Just redid BBI hard mode post daimon run full way through.

LV 160 -> 180

No blast arrows.

Only used dropped periapts.

Assassin with LV3 BBI sword and LV3 BBI short bow.

Notes: The dire gouge assassin destroysssss. But lots of big enemies throw you off. Especially dangerous are the magic knights (big black blue knights whose armored carapace breaks off halfway into its HP) and Eliminators. Will toss you the fuck off with wild swinging moves, and then proceed to bash you for it - even with the sticky perk (adhesion).

All the other big bosses that will flail around don't throw you off right away - they'll sap your stamina. But using dire gouge allows you to lock yourself into the animation for as long as you're mashing gouge - even when out of stamina. You can eat one or two mushrooms (freely available for purchase as the curatives store in gran soren) after your character finishes gouging (pulled the sword out) and then relatch and take out another huge chunk of their health bar.

Used that strategy on Daimon V2, and watched him fall over from me gouging his bony legs. So satisfying.

Toughest fight still remains the twin caster dragons in the arena. Some bullshit there. Constant red circles all over the ground, hearts that are low to the ground so you can't get under them and gouge - you can't stay on them and gouge either, because their buddy will just drop a lightning bolt and knock you off.

So basically had to run around with the daggers and take a few hits at their hearts when I could, dashing back and forth between the two drakes. Took a few attempts and still 10+ mins on the successful attempt.

Death remains elusive. Got him down to a half bar, then he disappeared. Next time he respawned with full health. Like jesus christ dude, just go down already! You cheating son of a bitch! The pawn that was carrying all my blast arrows for the run leapt to her death while fighting a tentacle in a chest... didn't bother going back to Gran Soren for more arrows. So still haven't managed to cheese Death out, despite the fact that he's in fact the cheesiest motherfucker in the game.

Elder Ogres are now my bitch. Jump on their back, and they'll predictable jump - jump off without attacking them, then land near their heads - and just attack (preferably with the vertical ground/sky strike) until they get back up. Repeat the process. Dead ogre, no risk, no worries.

Favourite dire gouge victim is the zombie dragon. Extra big, extra tall... all the better for me to actually climb on and stay on underneath him and gouge the fuck out of him. The other normal sized dragons with hearts on their underside will simply push you off their hearts/belly when on the ground... and don't stay up in the air long enough when you're gouging them mid air. This one popped after the twin caster dragons, and was a breath of fresh-air. *ominous spawning music* *Climbs on his purple heart, proceeds to down him in 30 seconds without preparation.*

Love this game... now to wait for mods that will add more difficulty levels to the game. NG+ with oversized enemies, different enemy placements, different stats, etc would be the beuno.

Lanrutcon

Okay. :(

I guess I'll try it again. But now I wonder if running to Daimon is faster than farming that stupid chest, lol...

If you can kill Daimon quickly and reliably, then sure.

My problem was that I was running BBI as an MA, which doesn't kill Daimon quickly. If I switched to a class that does (Strider/Ranger), then BBI itself become an issue. So I stuck with an MA, killed everything in BBI and savescummed chests because it's easy and I can do it while watching TV.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah I finally got it lol.

Now to farm that Fallen City chest or not.... bah I don't think I'll have the patience lol.

Edit: I didn't. I ran to the Sanctum and ignored every enemy. Then I killed
Daimon
super quickly even with lv2. weapons. LOL

Giever

So I just started playing this recently and for some reason the game keeps minimizing on me? Like, every 5 minutes or so. I can't figure out what's causing it. I'm using a Dualshock 4 with DS4Windows, if that shines any light on the issue. :(

Ferr986

If you can kill Daimon quickly and reliably, then sure.

My problem was that I was running BBI as an MA, which doesn't kill Daimon quickly. If I switched to a class that does (Strider/Ranger), then BBI itself become an issue. So I stuck with an MA, killed everything in BBI and savescummed chests because it's easy and I can do it while watching TV.

Couldn't you just run to Daimon ignoring every enemy as Strider/Ranger/Assassin?

I remember doing that on consoles. Pawns died on their way but you can get them back before Daimon anyways.

silva1991

Couldn't you just run to Daimon ignoring every enemy?

I remember doing that on consoles. Pawns died on their way but you can get them back before Daimon anyways.

First BBI you need to kill the first and the second boss

you can only ignore everything after the first Daimon.

Artdayne

I started getting burned out on this game after about 20 post daimon runs and I still only have 2 pieces of Oblivion gear. I also can't seem to get the best shortbow to drop either.

Lanrutcon

Couldn't you just run to Daimon ignoring every enemy as Strider/Ranger/Assassin?

Yeah, but that's kinda of boring.

With an MA I can kill almost anything in BBI very quickly (I melt Living Armors, Elder Ogres,Garms, the bull head jerks, etc in seconds) and they all drop bits I need for rarifying anyway. I'd rather have fun brutalising everything but Daimon and savescumming some chests.

Edit: Also, I couldn't care less about endgame armor :p I play Fashion Dogma. STATS ARE FOR WIMPS!

Ferr986

First BBI you need to kill the first and the second boss

you can only ignore everything after the first Daimon.

Yes of course, I meant for farming post Daimon chests, after opening the last shortcut again.

With an MA I can kill almost anything in BBI very quickly (I melt Living Armors, Elder Ogres,Garms, the bull head jerks, etc in seconds) and they all drop bits I need for rarifying anyway. I'd rather have fun brutalising everything but Daimon and savescumming some chests.

yes it's boring for sure, that's true.

I didn't had MA on 360, so I had no other choice to run or spend a lot of time fighting my way to him, and after some runs I couldn't be arsed anymore lol.

I don't think I'm gonna farm that shit again as hard on PC. It was kind of brutal to get everything for my character and my pawn.

Edit: Also, I couldn't care less about endgame armor :p I play Fashion Dogma. STATS ARE FOR WIMPS!

I had a really hard time with him too but once I got the Ninefold ring it was cake. Not as fast as Sorcerer or Ranger but pretty quick. 4x Magick Rebalancer + those swirly bolts of blue light eat his lunch (and your stamina)

People are coming out with mods that alter stat growth now. Not that it was something that bothered me since I played mostly the two OP offensive classes but the other hybrids getting barely any offensive power really sucks. You can get MA with Sorcerer growth for example and some custom ones too.

Lanrutcon

Yes of course, I meant for farming post Daimon chests, after opening the last shortcut again.

yes it's boring for sure, that's true.

I didn't had MA on 360, so I had no other choice to run or spend a lot of time fighting my way to him, and after some runs I couldn't be arsed anymore lol.

I don't think I'm gonna farm that shit again as hard on PC. It was kind of brutal to get everything for my character and my pawn.

Without the MA class I'd prolly not have farmed much as well. I highly recommend anyone who's intent on farming 100% of the gear to switch to a Strider before purifying Level 2 weapons. Do that until you get a good magic bow, dragonforge it, rarify it and then farm BBI as an MA.

No vocation matches the MA for clear speed and dealing with problematic enemies. Not one.

Corsick

I'll see if your pawn shows up for me and take her for a spin tonight.

I've got 28 million RC :D

Thanks Lanrutcon! Let me know if I've made some mistakes on her skill choices, she leveled up to 59 as a Strider so the stat gain is not ideal. At this point I'm easily farming Daimon with blast arrows as a Ranger but am just collecting cursed items. She's a Scather/Mitigator.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I kinda wish identifying BBI gear wasn't tied to RC. I'm completely out and my pawn is no longer getting rented. It's a 67 Fighter with OKish gear, pity rentals would be appreciated. Or perhaps some RC farming tips. Her name is "Casca."

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Shales/

I sent a friend request. I'll try and take her for a spin when I get some room.

If anybody gets a pawn back from me with 3-star ratings I've been doing a lot of BBI and I have no clue how to deal with Death one shotting my team, so sorry about that. I think I've been pretty good about re-hiring and releasing with proper ratings.

Soodanim

Yesterday I beat
Grigori
then decided to tidy my room so I left the game doing the auto-discipline trick to max out skills because I didn't fancy going into
Everfall
with a level 1 fighter. It's a bit cheaty but it allows me to play around with stuff now. I'm playing as a fighter for the first time ever and it's pretty good. I didn't even consider it on PS3, but the theme of this first PC run is that everything is viable. That's both of the pure red classes I've come to appreciate, as well as not writing off Strider as a shit version of Ranger.

I think NG+ will be a solo Assassin run. Although by that point it will be no challenge at all unless I fancy going straight into BBI.

Edit:
I'm currently using the DD sword and a Rusted Shield, but I'm thinking about making my pawn a Fighter, giving him a gold sword and Rusted Shield, and saving the
Wyrmking ring
for myself if I switch back to MA or MK. But while that will have advantages, it goes against my plan of having a Grand Anodyne healing pawn with that AoE healing robe. That constant healing is very nice to have on any team.

Haunted

Durante with the Fashion Souls pawn and MicVlad with the Wario/Waluigi combo always stand out in my rift. :lol

Someone took out my pawn and she brought back over 50k RC, basically doubling my reserves. Thanks! That was a lifesaver.

I also think I now know why I was having so much trouble in BBI at times, apparently even carrying fiend luring incense in your inventory causes harder enemy configurations to spawn, I thought you had to use the stuff and "opt-in" that way. Had a room with 7 living armours that wrecked me, came back after discarding the incense and dropped the cockatrice that was in that room instead within two minutes.

The wiki has detailed chest lists. As you progress, things drop easier and from more sources. Progress as far as you can, and then see which areas that you have access to have cool chests.

The first boss in BBI is very simple, btw.

Yeah I defetead him (but it took a while to be honest), I'm having difficulties in the pilgrims gauntlet with the dark bandits, sometimes I don't know with which attack they one-shot me. And even pawns kept dying. Without weapons buff they take almost no damage.

Is there a particular set of skills indicated for a sorcerer?

Lanrutcon

Yeah I defetead him (but it took a while to be honest), I'm having difficulties in the pilgrims gauntlet with the dark bandits, sometimes I don't know with which attack they one-shot me. And even pawns kept dying. Without weapons buff they take almost no damage.

Is there a particular set of skills indicated for a sorcerer?

As a Sorcerer, can't you just park on the balcony above and Maelstrom the shit out of everything in the Pilgrim's Gauntlet?

There is actually a trick to fighting the chimera
first kill the snake part, than when it has about 1 health bar left kill the goat.
the worst thing you can do is deal with the lion only when he has tons of health.
Just watch out for the goat when he is about to cast spells, you will soon be able to read his next move tho.

You can actually kill the lion before the goat, making the goat take control of the body and sucking at it.

Hzoltan69

I think I read something earlier that the game bugs out if it is not installed on the Windows drive. Is that still a problem or has the latest patch solved it?
I keep putting off finishing the story because of this...

wickfut

Banned
I think I read something earlier that the game bugs out if it is not installed on the Windows drive. Is that still a problem or has the latest patch solved it?

I've never had it installed on the windows drive. Nothing is installed on my windows drive apart from windows.

Never had bugs.

Haunted

I don't have it installed on the Windows partition and had no problems finishing the game and transitioning to NG+. ymmv, of course.

jahasaja

I have a Alienware 14 with a Geforce GT555M cards and the framerate really dips in fights. Anything to do or I will just have to live with it?

JJShadow

I'm level 46 and I'm about to meet
Grigory for the final battle
. I would like some advice about how to proceed after fighting him. Should I try the Everfall before heading to BBI? I would like to find some cool armours and weapons besides the basic ones you can find in stores

Also, I maxed the Assassin vocation, then I changed to Magick Archer but I didn't like it very much, so I changed to Warrior and I would like to stick with it, loving it so far. Will I find too much trouble as a Warrior in my way through BBI? Should I think about changing to a ranged class?

Venfayth

I bopped around the Everfall for a little bit, cleared each of the rooms once and then moved to BBI. BBI is way more interesting and fun for me, and you get better upgrades from the level 2 and 3 pieces and the dungeon designs are less grindy than the Everfall.

Lanrutcon

. I would like some advice about how to proceed after fighting him. Should I try the Everfall before heading to BBI? I would like to find some cool armours and weapons besides the basic ones you can find in stores

Also, I maxed the Assassin vocation, then I changed to Magick Archer but I didn't like it very much, so I changed to Warrior and I would like to stick with it, loving it so far. Will I find too much trouble as a Warrior in my way through BBI? Should I think about changing to a ranged class?

Everfall is optional. Go poke it a bit for levels or gear, but BBI is where the real awesome is at. Also, after Grigory the world changes and new things spawn in places.

Try and get as far as you can with your Warrior. It'll be challenging, but we believe in you.

You can just switch if it becomes too hard :p

silva1991

Go to the everfall and fight the bosses there, but don't finish the mission quest there and then go to BBI.

you don't wanna finish BBI and then make everfall easier than breathing air.

Haunted

In terms of difficulty, it feels like they want you to play Everfall first and move on to BBI afterwards or on NG+, definitely not the other way around.

bati

Hotdamn, bows in this game rock. I was avoiding them like plague at first (precise aiming with a gamepad isn't my forte) but when I saw just how devastating they are when you hit the weak spots - and how easy it is to do so, compared to climbing - I quickly changed my mind. Now I just have to settle on a class, at the moment I'm torn between Strider and Assassin because they have some really nice moves and I find longbows just a little too slow compared to shortbows. I'm only rank 4 on Ranger though so I might change my mind :).

Sanctuary

Magick Archer is the boss in BBI, but if you switched from a high physical character, about the only thing you would get any use of is some of the dagger skills, especially Immolation. The MA shines the most through a high magic attack and bow use.

As was already said, Everfall is optional, but I'd say it's worth going through at least once for the encounters. If you want the gear, aside from Ur-Dragon weapons, I would suggest looking at the spoilers for the maps on the Wiki that show what chests can drop what items, and using the godsbane exploit (save at a chest since they generate the loot as you open them), if you don't get what you are after, godsbane as a faster reload.

I personally think you should actually farm Ur-Dragon though until you get a weapon you want, plus it gives you 100k experience or so, so you'd get a level (or two) until around level 82 each time.

http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/The_Everfall_(Post-Dragon)

IMO the only items truly worth farming for are the Dragonsblood ring (probably best in slot) and Dragonsroar (helm). There are of course a few armor pieces that will last you the majority of BBI, since you won't be seeing the good stuff until around three fourths of the way through, but depending on your class, Ur-Dragon weapons would help you the most. As a physical class though, it sounds like you might get some use out of at least a few upgrades.

Hotdamn, bows in this game rock. I was avoiding them like plague at first (precise aiming with a gamepad isn't my forte) but when I saw just how devastating they are when you hit the weak spots - and how easy it is to do so, compared to climbing - I quickly changed my mind. Now I just have to settle on a class, at the moment I'm torn between Strider and Assassin because they have some really nice moves and I find longbows just a little too slow compared to shortbows. I'm only rank 4 on Ranger though so I might change my mind :).

Rangers get Tenfold, which destroys what the Assassin and Strider can do with a bow for single target damage per second, especially when combined with something like blast arrows. They also get Endecad (shoots eleven arrows in a spread), which is great for uncovering Ur-Dragon weak spots and they can shoot quite a bit farther. That being said, I think the Strider is actually the most fun of the three to play, and I like Downpour Volley for most encounters compared to the Ranger bow skills.

Kind of a side note/but still on topic: Of the four bow classes though, the Magick Archer is total easy mode against offline Ur-Dragon. You just buff up your magic attack to double (not sure if it's base, or current) with Magic Rebalancer, and mash Hunter Bolt. Not only does it auto-target his weak spots,
it's holy damage, which is what the dragon is weak against.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So is there a point where my stamina won't suck?

Because I'm level 19 now and I feel that my stamina still fucking sucks.

Vuze

Full Japanese voiceover mod is out now for those who want the JP audio back.

Download (1,4gb): http://www.nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma/mods/108/?

Installation is super easy (drag & drop + running a batch file) and should be compatible with modded files as long as you put them in the respective folders before running my patching tool.
Don't forget to backup your DDDA installation in case you run into a bug or want to revert back to English.

Old preview video for good measure (lipsync + english goblin + pawn sounds have been fixed in the release) :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXwLAdJwM0M

Top Bottom