• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

Golnei

Thanks for the tip, Capcom.

If the mimics come back in future games, I hope they'll decide to give them some sort of visual identifier. It doesn't have to be obvious, but an easily overlooked tell like the lid of a chest moving slightly, or subtle discolouration from the maneater's drool staining the wood would make it feel less cheap to be caught by one, as well as making it feel more like player error when you are. Though that's assuming they'd be spread out over the entire game, rather than just one dungeon.

oJ0vv2h.jpg
8ce51018c5dae84d94b4e8ddaa04704b.jpg

If the mimics come back in future games, I hope they'll decide to give them some sort of visual identifier. It doesn't have to be obvious, but an easily overlooked tell like the lid of a chest moving slightly, or subtle discolouration from the maneater's drool staining the wood would make it feel less cheap to be caught by one, as well as making it feel more like player error when you are. Though that's assuming they'd be spread out over the entire game, rather than just one dungeon.

8ce51018c5dae84d94b4e8ddaa04704b.jpg

Yeah, Mimics don't look any different at all from normal chests and once you know where one is you can't even damage it pre-emptively. Seems silly

And shit lol forgot about those little guys

Also, I'm getting close to maxing out every vocation besides Mage/Sorc and MK. Should I do Mage and Sorc first to get my magic damage up and then go MK or what

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What I hate more about mimics is also that even if you know it's a mimic, attacking it won't help. You have to open it, and if you play solo, well, fuck you I guess.

Aww yiss, got this little guy gold forged.
2016-01-29_00061f0s4z.jpg

Farming Daimon is strangely harder on normal mode, since staggering him sends him flying across the room. On hard mode he just sits there and takes it on the chin.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Farming Daimon is strangely harder on normal mode, since staggering him sends him flying across the room. On hard mode he just sits there and takes it on the chin.
Haha really? Interesting. I was considering going to NG+ and just switching to normal to roflstomp everything and get easy gear, but maybe not...

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Having a ranger pawn with a rusty bow is EASY MODE. You guys don't even know! (unless you know)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I never found a rusted longbow (or regular bow either for that matter) while gathering, ever, and I missed the Reynard side-quest 'cause I was exploring the beach instead of the path... -_-

If there is a god and DD2 gets made then mimics should just be copypasta'd from Dark Souls, the current one are cheap bastards and aren't fun to fight.

Yeah... Dark Souls is downright clever with its mimics. They place them just uncommonly enough that it's easy to forget they're there, even with the ability to check for them. DD2 would be wise to observe their effectiveness.

Zaptruder

Banned
Yeah... Dark Souls is downright clever with its mimics. They place them just uncommonly enough that it's easy to forget they're there, even with the ability to check for them. DD2 would be wise to observe their effectiveness.

At the very least, let me hit the mimics without having to open them! The worst thing about BBI mimics is that they're unavoidable.

I know you're in there dude! And I want the loot you drop when I kill you!

I still find myself opening chests and walking away quickly, even though I realize that doesn't do jack shit D:

Akiller

Maxed out Magick archer and strider ranks,trying big sword Class now. No dodge move? That and the double jump should be default skills, can't play without them.

Cyrano

Maxed out Magick archer and strider ranks,trying big sword Class now. No dodge move? That and the double jump should be default skills, can't play without them.
I just started using Ninefold Bolt and am surprised at just how much more effective it has been at breaking guard compared to Sixfold. I wasn't big on the rings at first but some of them really make a huge difference.

Lanrutcon

I just started using Ninefold Bolt and am surprised at just how much more effective it has been at breaking guard compared to Sixfold. I wasn't big on the rings at first but some of them really make a huge difference.

The upgraded skills are killer. I've got some choice rings (+98 Strength + 91 Petrification Res, for example) but I never get to wear them because of skill rings :(

Haunted

Not being able to check for the trapped chests or avoid the worms once they're triggered is a missed opportunity, imo. Dark Souls remains the gold standard in terms of Mimics.

I just let my pawns open most BBI chests these days. :p

I just got to the place where I can change my class. I am a strider. Is is worth changing my class away from a basic??

No matter what class you're using it's worthwhile picking up augments from other vocations to really get your build going. For example, despite Assassin being the physical offensive class, Vehemence (Fighter) and Clout (Warrior) are damn near mandatory.

Investigate a bit and try to come up with something. All the classes are pretty fun to play with

http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Vocations

Soodanim

I started BBI a day or two ago and I'd forgotten just how good it is. Pure gameplay, no nonsense, just fighting and platforming. A challenge at first, too. The first boss hits so damn hard, but I cheesed about 3 lifebars before I got down and really got stuck in. Piling up exploding rivets and then climbing up to detonate them is so satisfying.

ParityBit

No matter what class you're using it's worthwhile picking up augments from other vocations to really get your build going. For example, despite Assassin being the physical offensive class, Vehemence (Fighter) and Clout (Warrior) are damn near mandatory.

Investigate a bit and try to come up with something. All the classes are pretty fun to play with

http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Vocations

At what point should I consider changing in general? I am level 15. Or does it not really matter? It is a little complicated to a newcomer.

At what point should I consider changing in general? I am level 15. Or does it not really matter? It is a little complicated to a newcomer.

Nothing stopping you from changing now unless there are augments that you still want from Strider. If you really want you can just go from vocation to vocation maxing them out. Each vocation has a particular stat growth (Mage gets more magic than Fighter gets strength) but the game isn't so difficult that'll ever come back to bite you in the ass later. Do what you feel basically.

That said, if you give the skills and augments of each vocation a read you might come across some interesting stuff you could apply to your Strider if that's what you enjoy playing the most. Every class works at end game. Well, not Warrior unless your a masochist.

ParityBit

Nothing stopping you from changing now unless there are augments that you still want from Strider. If you really want you can just go from vocation to vocation maxing them out. Each vocation has a particular stat growth (Mage gets more magic than Fighter gets strength) but the game isn't so difficult that'll ever come back to bite you in the ass later. Do what you feel basically.

That said, if you give the skills and augments of each vocation a read you might come across some interesting stuff you could apply to your Strider if that's what you enjoy playing the most. Every class works at end game. Well, not Warrior unless your a masochist.

That is good to know, thanks! What about DP? Is the stuff tough to come by or should I not really worry and get the skills I want (i.e. could max out a bunch of vocations?)

That is good to know, thanks! What about DP? Is the stuff tough to come by or should I not really worry and get the skills I want (i.e. could max out a bunch of vocations?)

Not really but I'd suggest against buying everything under the sun. Just get stuff you're interested in using. DP is a bit odd in that you get more from enemies that give low XP and less from enemies that give higher. In a way it's to make all stuff worth fighting. You'll acquire plenty as you play the game, no need to worry about it. There's gear and "methods" to speed things up later on as well.

Also the starter classes level faster than the advanced and hybrid classes. By the end of the story I reckon you'd have at least 2 to 3 classes done.

Golnei

Do many pieces of clothing have separate wet textures? I've only really noticed it with the Silk Tights.

Thanks guess its time to change then. Any favorites?

Edit: Iv already played strider and asassin.

If you want to stick with a dagger-using class (and keep your dodge and double jump), Ranger and Magic Archer are similar enough, though leveling as a Strider and Assassin probably hasn't given you the best magic growth for the latter. Still, you might want to try it for the magic dagger skills.

Alexm92

Take your pick, any you like.

They're all fun.

Do many pieces of clothing have separate wet textures? I've only really noticed it with the Silk Tights.

If you want to stick with a dagger-using class (and keep your dodge and double jump), Ranger and Magic Archer are similar enough, though leveling as a Strider and Assassin probably hasn't given you the best magic growth for the latter. Still, you might want to try it for the magic dagger skills.

Thanks. I might try Magic Archer or I might go wild and try a sorcerer.

Golnei

So maxing out a vocation is different from buying all the abilities? Once you have an ability if you change vocations can you still select them?

Not all abilities are unlocked to buy until you get a vocation to its maximum rank. While some skills can carry over between them (core skills, augments, some weapon skills) not every skill is available between vocations, even when they use the same weapons.

Cyrano

Near as I'm aware the wet and oil effects are just a visual effect applied to the clothes you're wearing and don't have their own textures. Could be wrong, but I haven't seen any alternate oil/wet mods on Nexus either.

Golnei

Near as I'm aware the wet and oil effects are just a visual effect applied to the clothes you're wearing and don't have their own textures. Could be wrong, but I haven't seen any alternate oil/wet mods on Nexus either.

That seems to be the case for most of them, but for the Silk Tights in particular, it's not just a blanket effect - it looks like it has a specific texture which depicts patches of dry cloth, as well as what appears to be its own specular map instead of a generic effect.

(Sorry for the watermark, I haven't removed it yet because I didn't think I'd need to take screenshots)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Just made a quick vid for anyone who is and wants to quickly get all their bbi lvl3 gear.

Check it out!

https://youtu.be/xsG5jsQmRIQ
Huh. I never ever got cyclops in Bloodless Stockade. Always the lich and living armours for me.

Do you mind posting your augments? I assume you have Clout, perhaps stacked with other strength augments, but you're carrying like 500 blast arrows and still remain Very Light so you got both Sinew and the Leg-Strength there, too, maybe?

Edit: wait a minute, just saw the total weight. You're using a goddamn no weight limit mod. -_-

Lanrutcon

Huh. I never ever got cyclops in Bloodless Stockade. Always the lich and living armours for me.

Do you mind posting your augments? I assume you have Clout, perhaps stacked with other strength augments, but you're carrying like 500 blast arrows and still remain Very Light so you got both Sinew and the Leg-Strength there, too, maybe?

Edit: wait a minute, just saw the total weight. You're using a goddamn no weight limit mod. -_-

The only limiting factor on Blast Arrow abuse is the weight.

Mod that out, and you might as well use Cheat Engine to 1 hit kill everything as a Ranger. Nothing is Blast Arrow immune, they're cheap, stores sell infinite amounts.

Cyrano

That seems to be the case for most of them, but for the Silk Tights in particular, it's not just a blanket effect - it looks like it has a specific texture which depicts patches of dry cloth, as well as what appears to be its own specular map instead of a generic effect.
Very interesting. Can't say I have a good answer for you atm.

I'm currently working on making a mod that makes the game play a bit more like Dark Souls. The mod does a few things. Firstly, it stops most of your HP and Stamina growth. They still grow somewhat, but at much slower rates. For the most part you will have to outarmor enemies because you won't be able to trivialize them with a larger health pool anymore (and given that I'm not going to remove Wakestones, there is always a way to "technically" trivialize enemies). Stamina growth stops for a few reasons, but mostly it's to prevent issues of hanging on enemies forever.

I'm still unsure of how I want to handle spellcasting. I'm thinking right now that just having Articulacy be an augment that greatly speeds up your casting would be enough, given that most spells will be weakened considerably due to not being able to cast them often (due to lack of Stamina).

If anyone's interested in a more gameplay conversion type mod, let me know and I'll put it up on the Nexus in the future.

David___

Banned
Just killed Ur Dragon two times in my first session against him. Not that hard but I'd imagine the online version is harder. Since I'm at the point of no return, anyone have port crystal locations that would help me beat the game asap so I can get the speed run play through out of the way?

Top Bottom