• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

Just killed Ur Dragon two times in my first session against him. Not that hard but I'd imagine the online version is harder. Since I'm at the point of no return, anyone have port crystal locations that would help me beat the game asap so I can get the speed run play through out of the way?

Is there a particular strategy for the ur-dragon? I killed it first time yesterday and took me a long time. Lvl 55 assassin

Just killed Ur Dragon two times in my first session against him. Not that hard but I'd imagine the online version is harder. Since I'm at the point of no return, anyone have port crystal locations that would help me beat the game asap so I can get the speed run play through out of the way?

The big ones for me are by Bluemoon Tower, by the waycastle where you meet up with Mercedes, by Greatwall, by the Shadowfort, and one by where the Dragonforged is.

You could put one by the quarry, as it might help for speedruns, but I don't have one there.

David___

Banned
Is there a particular strategy for the ur-dragon? I killed it first time yesterday and took me a long time. Lvl 55 assassin
The two times I fought him I went straight for the ankle so I can ground him then go straight for the tail since my two warrior pawns would finish off his feet. After the tail I'd go for a claw then go to his middle section, with the two pawns finishing off the limbs on the ground again. Then I d just spam Hunter Bolt while under his wings and face. Though with me being around level 90 it'd be probably easier for me to do that with more damage etc.
The big ones for me are by Bluemoon Tower, by the waycastle where you meet up with Mercedes, by Greatwall, by the Shadowfort, and one by where the Dragonforged is.

You could put one by the quarry, as it might help for speedruns, but I don't have one there.
Thanks ^_^

Sanctuary

Does anyone know of a way to use the DS4 with this game, without needing DS4Windows that allows you to hide the stupid ass number keys when using a controller? I keep using DS4Windows, but it's been acting extremely screwy the last few days, disconnecting every few minutes, or making the controller rumble non stop. Wasn't like this the last few weeks until recently, and it doesn't do any of that just using the controller with the game by itself.

Come to think of it, it didn't do any of this until the latest patch, although that could just coincidence.

draetenth

Well, after 60 hours and reaching level 60, I finally decided to stop playing around and finally beat the dragon. Now I just need to get ready to use the guard trick to level up my vocations so I can finally get the good augments.

At what point should I consider changing in general? I am level 15. Or does it not really matter? It is a little complicated to a newcomer.
Right now I'm just changing as soon as I hit mac rank for a vocation so I can max out all 9 as quickly as possible and get a feel for all of them.

fastmower

GeDoSaTo question:

Despite enabling bloom, AA, AO and DoF in my settings and post.fx file for DDDA, when I use the hotkeys GeDoSaTo tells me they aren't supported by this plugin.

However, HUD disable and Post Processing are enabled and work just fine via hotkeys.

Any ideas on what is keeping me from really tweaking things?

I am having the same issues regard AO. I am on the latest build and everything.

Ullus

It's so nice not having to up the volume to 80% just to play this game and then get my eardrums shattered when I get a steam message.

Tenebrous

I'm level 32 on my Mage. I've maxed my vocation, and haven't seen any new spells pop up in a while... Time to swap for something else?

Stevey

Why is everyone using the share thing for screenshots instead of just using steam or FRAPS or whatever.

All the text on the pictures is distracting :p

Varna

I'm guessing this
Watergod's Altar
wasn't meant to be done very early in the game right? I stumbled into it and I think I managed to finish it. Though I do think I broke the sequence of events somewhat. I see this door I was suppose to open with an item but I got around it by making a pretty long jump.

Anyhow, this game has been really great as for as exploration goes. I really wish this game had zero story and focused 100% on this.

Exentryk

I'm level 32 on my Mage. I've maxed my vocation, and haven't seen any new spells pop up in a while... Time to swap for something else?

Get the last augment that unlocked (7000 dcp IIRC). Then move to Sorceror perhaps, as that one gets some really powerful spells. It's fun when you're fighting simple wolves or goblins and see some meteors come crashing down haha.

Does anyone know of a way to use the DS4 with this game, without needing DS4Windows that allows you to hide the stupid ass number keys when using a controller? I keep using DS4Windows, but it's been acting extremely screwy the last few days, disconnecting every few minutes, or making the controller rumble non stop. Wasn't like this the last few weeks until recently, and it doesn't do any of that just using the controller with the game by itself.

Come to think of it, it didn't do any of this until the latest patch, although that could just coincidence.

This post might help. If you want to see DS4 icons in the game as well, then use a mod for that. Otherwise the icons will be for the Xbox controller.

Tenebrous

Get the last augment that unlocked (7000 dcp IIRC). Then move to Sorceror perhaps, as that one gets some really powerful spells. It's fun when you're fighting simple wolves or goblins and see some meteors come crashing down haha.

Just done it before reading your message! At least I know I'm doing the right thing. Just faught (get it? >.>) the
Cockatrice
in my last fight as a mage, which was kinda fun. Easy though if you know where to hide.

Lanrutcon

Just done it before reading your message! At least I know I'm doing the right thing. Just faught (get it? >.>) the
Cockatrice
in my last fight as a mage, which was kinda fun. Easy though if you know where to hide.

Real men grab it by the tail, climb the thing while it's bucking like mad and then stab it in the back of the head.

I just got to gran soren for the first time and I appear to have some overpowered DLC armour in my storage? Voldoan armour and some other ones. Should I avoid using them? Do they break the game?

KarmaCow

I just got to gran soren for the first time and I appear to have some overpowered DLC armour in my storage? Voldoan armour and some other ones. Should I avoid using them? Do they break the game?

I was playing on hard so I seemed to be getting one or two shot regardless. Fashion's Dogma it up.

Sanctuary

The hitbox on a dragon's grab is pretty stupid in this game. You can be a full fifteen feet back and then teleport into its hand if you're the target.

Sarcasm

Reynard doesn't want me to buy his rusted items, I guess. Can't find him anywhere, even though I know where to look. Oh well.

Everfall has been fun - the new inclinations for my main pawn has helped a ton. Just need the last few mage / sorcerer augments for my MK and then the NG+ can begin.

This is due to what quest stage you are in. The are like six stages and as you go up he sells better things. Like most vendors.

Exentryk

I tried out most of the vocations.

Ranger with Tenfold Flurry is really strong (even with basic arrows). I killed a Chimera in one hit using that Great Gamble move. Magic Archer is also pretty neat with tracking arrows. Warrior is slow as hell, but strong. Fighter's Dragon's Maw is a lot of fun. Sorceror's are really slow, but the spells are cool to see. Maybe once I get that Wyrm ring that speeds up spell casting, it might be better. Might try a 3x Sorceror and 1x Fighter combo later to see spell syncing in action.

I eventually returned back to Mystic Knight however. The Grand Cannon is a very nice way to clear enemies. Don't have to worry about aiming or anything. Not to mention you can just as well use the sword and shield to fight up close if you wish.

Will be trying out Assassin or Strider tomorrow.

This is due to what quest stage you are in. The are like six stages and as you go up he sells better things. Like most vendors.

Oh I know that, I want the rusted weapons but he keeps staying in the same spot instead of rotating locations like he normally does, so I haven't caught him since entering the Post-game.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The only limiting factor on Blast Arrow abuse is the weight.

Mod that out, and you might as well use Cheat Engine to 1 hit kill everything as a Ranger. Nothing is Blast Arrow immune, they're cheap, stores sell infinite amounts.
Yup, another reason why the no weight limit mod is completely gamebreaking (along with infinite health curatives, stamina/liquid vims, and of course Periapts).

The hitbox on a dragon's grab is pretty stupid in this game. You can be a full fifteen feet back and then teleport into its hand if you're the target.
It's just like grab attacks in Souls games then! :D

Sanctuary

Holy shit Sorcerers are terrible in BBI, post-Daimon. Jesus Christ. You basically can't do anything in half of the encounters other than staff attacks, or focused bolt, because the rooms are filled with drakes, dragons, gargoyles etc, all of which only have to sneeze and it interrupts everything you do. Then there's the Wargs, who you can't do anything against other than cast High Levin over and over and over, because for some reason they ALL want to rush the Arisen, and ignore everyone else each time. Now I can kind of understand why some felt BBI was "hard". I wouldn't say it's hard as much as it's grossly imbalanced for some classes, while the hybrids typically breeze right through. Sorcerers were godlike pre-BBI, but inside? LOL.

Oh, and somehow the (rented) Fighter AI gets even worse post-Daimon. Either that, or my pawn was just a genius, since she actually kept most things off of me and could also take some hits. I recently changed her back to a Strider to get some Strider levels for her, and I rented another Fighter that had the same inclinations and all around good gear. Well, first it gets petrified and dies (no Voidspell and I didn't believe I'd need to give everyone softner...since my MA can kill them in less than 10s; but of course not the Sorcerer!), so I grab that same pawn again and it inexplicably dissappeared somewhere as though it had fallen off a ledge (where there were no ledges for it to fall off from in BBI to vanish).

It's just like grab attacks in Souls games then! :D

That's pretty much what I was getting at. :p

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Okay, so who the FUCK is casting Maelstrom in that one room in BBI with the two gorecyclopes???
There's a few corrupt pawn sorcerers in there.

I usually snipe at them from the upper eastern balcony before going down there.

If you don't have a bow... then I'm sorry.

Sanctuary

There's a few corrupt pawn sorcerers in there.

I usually snipe at them from the upper eastern balcony before going down there.

If you don't have a bow... then I'm sorry.

Even as a bow user, it's faster to just run in and Cutting Wind them to death. That also allows you to see where the others are casting from easier, and to rush them before they can start casting in the hallway or wherever you are trying to snipe from.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Yup, another reason why the no weight limit mod is completely gamebreaking (along with infinite health curatives, stamina/liquid vims, and of course Periapts).

It definitely has the potential to be gamebreaking, but only if you use it as a crutch like that. I only used it to reduce tedium, the only times I ever cheesed blast arrows was for Death and Daimon, which you can do without the mod too (just give them to a pawn, for example).

And really, when I can kill Daimon almost as fast just using Brain Splitter, what does it matter?

Lanrutcon

Even as a bow user, it's faster to just run in and Cutting Wind them to death. That also allows you to see where the others are casting from easier, and to rush them before they can start casting in the hallway or wherever you are trying to snipe from.

Oh hey guys.

Sorry, couldn't hear you. Was busy spamming Ricochet Shot blindly and watching the xp roll in. There's corrupt what now?

Ferr986

It's about 30 times as strong as any of the gens before it.

Makes sense. Shit has been up for days, wasn't it?

Anyways, just beat my the first BBI run. Everything was going smoothly till the 3rd part, then shit escalated quickly. Was hard as fuck.

Worst part is that I still don't have enough items for silverforge (let alone goldforge) any of my weapons, and now I have 2nd run in front of me, that is even harder.... :/

Holy shit Sorcerers are terrible in BBI, post-Daimon. Jesus Christ. You basically can't do anything in half of the encounters other than staff attacks, or focused bolt, because the rooms are filled with drakes, dragons, gargoyles etc, all of which only have to sneeze and it interrupts everything you do. Then there's the Wargs, who you can't do anything against other than cast High Levin over and over and over, because for some reason they ALL want to rush the Arisen, and ignore everyone else each time. Now I can kind of understand why some felt BBI was "hard". I wouldn't say it's hard as much as it's grossly imbalanced for some classes, while the hybrids typically breeze right through. Sorcerers were godlike pre-BBI, but inside? LOL.

Oh, and somehow the (rented) Fighter AI gets even worse post-Daimon. Either that, or my pawn was just a genius, since she actually kept most things off of me and could also take some hits. I recently changed her back to a Strider to get some Strider levels for her, and I rented another Fighter that had the same inclinations and all around good gear. Well, first it gets petrified and dies (no Voidspell and I didn't believe I'd need to give everyone softner...since my MA can kill them in less than 10s; but of course not the Sorcerer!), so I grab that same pawn again and it inexplicably dissappeared somewhere as

I wonder if I should just go with all Strider pawns group for BBI. Fighters don't get any hate no matter what, so I always have the enemy in my ass.... and sorcerors.... lol, they can't cast for shit (the rare ocassion they do is awesome though).

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if I should just go with all Strider pawns group for BBI. Fighters don't get any hate no matter what, so I always have the enemy in my ass.... and sorcerors.... lol, they can't cast for shit (the rare ocassion they do is awesome though).

Unless you wanna ignore the living armor, 1 source of magic is a must. But striders wreck in BBI. Ranger pawns are good too. You could always roll Mystic Knight and get 3 striders/rangers.

Lanrutcon

Unless you wanna ignore the living armor, 1 source of magic is a must. But striders wreck in BBI. Ranger pawns are good too. You could always roll Mystic Knight and get 3 striders/rangers.

I roll MA with 3 Striders, and it's pretty much the shit. If everyone has Utilitarian and 3 star knowledge then I pity anything I come across.

Ferr986

Ah yeah you're right. Forgot about those bastards.

My MK is at lvl...1 lol Im Ranger. Should have worked on my MA as everyone said :(

Tenebrous

I see you all using abbreviations I've no idea about, and looking at the playing time Steam user reviews for Dragon's Dogma (200-250 hours plus), I'm feeling more and more convinced than I'm missing something here. I'm playing on normal with no mods installed (someone on another forum told me to use a Stamina/Endurance mod, but I hate things like that), and after 15 hours, as a level 36 sorcerer, I believe I'm at/near the end of the game
(just earned the Rough Landing (Completed the urgent mission) achievement).

I've not done but a few sidequests, as honestly, I just want to fight stuff. I did do all the quests offered by Maximillian, even though the game seemed to only need me to do two of the four. I've done a decent amount of exploration, fought numerous chimera & cyclopes, and bested everything in the game in the last 5 hours just by spamming High Comestion until out of stamina, and then using basic staff attacks until it recovers. It took me a while to realise that the hired pawns don't level with me, so I went through most of the game with pawns 15-20 levels outdated.

So, what am I missing? Are the sidequests really that diverse & plentiful that people can put 200 hours into this game without bother? Am I playing a broken class? How good is NG+? What's going on here.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I see you all using abbreviations I've no idea about, and looking at the Steam user reviews for Dragon's Dogma, I'm feeling more and more convinced than I'm missing something here. I'm playing on normal with no mods installed (someone on another forum told me to use a Stamina/Endurance mod, but I hate things like that), and after 15 hours, as a level 36 sorcerer, I believe I'm at/near the end of the game

I've not done but a few sidequests, as honestly, I just want to fight stuff. I did do all the quests offered by Maximillian, even though the game seemed to only need me to do two of the four. I've done a decent amount of exploration, fought numerous chimera & cyclopes, and bested everything in the game in the last 5 hours just by spamming High Comestion until out of stamina, and then using basic staff attacks until it recovers. It took me a while to realise that the hired pawns don't level with me, so I went through most of the game with pawns 15-20 levels outdated.

So, what am I missing? Are the sidequests really that diverse & plentiful that people can put 200 hours into this game without bother? Am I playing a broken class? How good is NG+? What's going on here.

Um.... have you been to the Bitterblack Isle at all?

You are near the "end" of the main game but there's still so much that you haven't seen. If you think spamming High Comestion is enough to win, try even doing some of the more challenging rooms in the
Everfall
(after you finish the next story mission it will be available), let alone Bitterblack Isle.

Have you killed the drake near Devilfire Grove btw?

And yes, Bitterblack Isle can offer hundreds of hours depending on whether or not you want to just kill the boss and be done with it or maximize your character/pawn's equipment. Some people are kind of playing it like a loot grind mode in its post-game, you don't need to do that but at least the main content is still very good and worthwhile (unlike, say, Diablo 3's campaign which is throwaway garbage).

KarmaCow

I see you all using abbreviations I've no idea about, and looking at the playing time Steam user reviews for Dragon's Dogma (200-250 hours plus), I'm feeling more and more convinced than I'm missing something here. I'm playing on normal with no mods installed (someone on another forum told me to use a Stamina/Endurance mod, but I hate things like that), and after 15 hours, as a level 36 sorcerer, I believe I'm at/near the end of the game

Nah, it's not the deep quest design because it's pretty crap. I'd say it's probably because you're playing a caster class since it's very samey with casting spells but that's appealing to some people. The game is pretty half baked in general but I find the combat just inherently fun as a melee class like a Assassin or Warrior. It's very fun cancelling out of stuff and dodging attacks to get in some good hits as a dagger user.

David___

Banned
Finished my speed run play through a couple hours ago. About to be on my fourth playthrough in two weeks.
I need help qwq

ParityBit

So is it best to get all the core skills so you can carry them over as your change? Also, what do you do once a pawn is level 9 also? Change them too?

So is it best to get all the core skills so you can carry them over as your change? Also, what do you do once a pawn is level 9 also? Change them too?

yep and yep. although it's augments that carry over

core skills are passives unique to that weapon that carry over if a class uses the same weapon

Anteater

screenshot_2016-01-31y5p9l.jpg

flying intooo freeeeeeee

Tenebrous

Um.... have you been to the Bitterblack Isle at all?

You are near the "end" of the main game but there's still so much that you haven't seen. If you think spamming High Comestion is enough to win, try even doing some of the more challenging rooms in the
Everfall
(after you finish the next story mission it will be available), let alone Bitterblack Isle.

Have you killed the drake near Devilfire Grove btw?

And yes, Bitterblack Isle can offer hundreds of hours depending on whether or not you want to just kill the boss and be done with it or maximize your character/pawn's equipment. Some people are kind of playing it like a loot grind mode in its post-game, you don't need to do that but at least the main content is still very good and worthwhile (unlike, say, Diablo 3's campaign which is throwaway garbage).

Nope.

Sounds like post game will entertain me. I'm a big ARPG fan, so I'm curious... Do I go NG+, or stay in the first playthrough & beat everything during that? Is the best NG+ loot better than the normal game loot?

I ran from that Drake! Couldn't do anywhere near enough damage to it (I was about level 15 at the time), but I'm sure it's possible, as these things tend to be in the hands of a better, more experienced player.

Nah, it's not the deep quest design because it's pretty crap. I'd say it's probably because you're playing a caster class since it's very samey with casting spells but that's appealing to some people. The game is pretty half baked in general but I find the combat just inherently fun as a melee class like a Assassin or Warrior. It's very fun cancelling out of stuff and dodging attacks to get in some good hits as a dagger user.

I'll keep that in mind, but honestly, I bought this game for the magic alone, just as I play De/DkS for the melee alone. Perhaps I'll do a role reversal and try both in the other at some point!

Lanrutcon

Nope.

Sounds like post game will entertain me. I'm a big ARPG fan, so I'm curious... Do I go NG+, or stay in the first playthrough & beat everything during that? Is the best NG+ loot better than the normal game loot?

I ran from that Drake! Couldn't do anywhere near enough damage to it (I was about level 15 at the time), but I'm sure it's possible, as these things tend to be in the hands of a better, more experienced player.

I'll keep that in mind, but honestly, I bought this game for the magic alone, just as I play De/DkS for the melee alone. Perhaps I'll do a role reversal and try both in the other at some point!

There's nothing in NG+. There's no reason to do NG+. Do your stuff in one playthrough. The game doesn't get harder in NG+.

Main Story -> Everfall -> BBI -> BBI take 2.

All doable in one playthrough.

NG+ is for looking up a guide to see the quests you missed and doing them imo. Also switch it to hard for vanilla and watch the gold rake in from easy mobs.

plus if you never go in to ng+ then you never do the ending either

Tenebrous

There's nothing in NG+. There's no reason to do NG+. Do your stuff in one playthrough. The game doesn't get harder in NG+.

Main Story -> Everfall -> BBI -> BBI take 2.

All doable in one playthrough.

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

So, there's a way to reset spawns on BBI so you can farm for loot?

Top Bottom