• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

Anybody got a Moonshimmer Pelt they can gift me? That shit's beyond rare, it seems.

Steam ID is Vuffy Pulva.

I've got other rare goodies, if you want something in return lemme know!

Golnei

WHAT!?
I need to find this somewhere, somehow.

It's just a recoloured Lifetaker.
1454449301-a.png

1454472711-enb-2016-02-03-05-09-20-68.png

I don't think there's a repacked version yet, so you'll probably have to insert it manually if you want to use it.

Lorcain

Enjoy it while you can, grows more and more useless the closer you are to endgame.
I don't know, I love using merciful kill in BBI. It works against pretty much everything. I've used it against every dragon I've fought, including the Ur Dragon. It's the one skill I really miss when I switch to Strider.

I fought 5 drakes/wyverns in a row last night in BBI (using rancid bait) to dragonforge some new gear. The skills I used the most were the assassin sword counter skill and gore.

Alexm92

Was loving the game until the final boss battle. I keep dying and I think I'm going to quit, and this wouldn't be like me. I always see a game through till the end but in this case I just keep getting one shot killed. Hoping someone here has some tips before I throw in the towel?

I dont want to quit because I was really looking forward to BBI.

ExoSoul

Banned
Was loving the game until the final boss battle. I keep dying and I think I'm going to quit, and this wouldn't be like me. I always see a game through till the end but in this case I just keep getting one shot killed. Hoping someone here has some tips before I throw in the towel?

I'm sorry but there's just no way.

emag

Blighted Manse.

Yeah, you need grab the quest from the Duchess's maid (by the exit from the Duke's Manse) right after the Duke sends you to kill the dragon. There's nothing all that interesting there, although it is an entirely new area (seems like a waste on Capcom's part).

Lanrutcon

Dooon't rage quit.

The endboss is fought in stages:
1. Run away!
2. Expose and hit his heart in his chest. Use a bow and some blast arrows if you're having issues. Hide behind the rubble to avoid getting burnt alive.
3. Run like the wind till you reach the section with the ballistae. Shoot the dragon once.
4. QTE event.
5. Start the proper fight with the dragon.

The final stage tactics:

Consider this training for fighting all the badass shit you'll be facing later. Either you use ranged attacks to hit his heart till he dies, or you climb on his heart and beat the shit out of it. If your character cannot do either of those, then switch vocations. The heart is weak to Dark attacks/enchants. use periapts to boost your damage (Demon for magic, Conquerer for strength. They stack 4 times each).

Alternative: a single Finger of the Maker to the heart kills him, at any stage.

ExoSoul

Banned
Dooon't rage quit.

The endboss is fought in stages:
1. Run away!
2. Expose and hit his heart in his chest. Use a bow and some blast arrows if you're having issues. Hide behind the rubble to avoid getting burnt alive.
3. Run like the wind till you reach the section with the ballistae. Shoot the dragon once.
4. QTE event.
5. Start the proper fight with the dragon.

The final stage tactics:

Consider this training for fighting all the badass shit you'll be facing later. Either you use ranged attacks to hit his heart till he dies, or you climb on his heart and beat the shit out of it. If your character cannot do either of those, then switch vocations. The heart is weak to Dark attacks/enchants. use periapts to boost your damage (Demon for magic, Conquerer for strength. They stack 4 times each).

Alternative: a single Finger of the Maker to the heart kills him, at any stage.

GAME SPOILERS
You don't even know if that's the boss he's reffering to.

Lanrutcon

GAME SPOILERS
You don't even know if that's the boss he's reffering to.

He said before BBI. There's only one endboss before BBI. It's identified as the endboss, openly, at the very start of the game. The entire storyline revolves around fighting the freaking Dragon.

ExoSoul

Banned
He said before BBI. There's only one endboss before BBI. It's identified as the endboss, openly, at the very start of the game. The entire storyline revolves around fighting the freaking Dragon.

Seneschal, altough he shouldn't be dying to either.

How odd.
By the time you see him
you've probably been to BBI a million times and can kill suns without blinking.

Poor dude :(

BBI is meant for NG+, capcom should've just locked it; if you are just following a normal story progression
he definitely doesn't die in one shot and can very much end you.

ExoSoul

Banned
Time to spoiler tag some parts of that people, you're giving it away.

Some folks would appreciate to find that for themselves.

bati

I just did some testing with MK buffs, here are my results (I guess this is common knowledge among DD players but I couldn't find any concrete info anywhere and this might help some other noob like me):

Thunder Riposte - one bar charge = 1 min duration, 2 bars = 2 minutes. Perpetuation has no effect.

Abyssal Anguish - one bar = ~45 seconds, 2 bars = 1.5 minutes. Perpetuation has no effect.

Blessed Trance - one bar = ~30 seconds, two bars = ~45 seconds. Perpetuation increases timer by roughly 30% and it goes from ~40 seconds to almost a minute.

Lorcain

Main story boss fight help:
Veu1JFQ.gif

If you're talking about the fight against the main story red dragon (Grigori), if you search youtube you'll find some really good walkthroughs of that fight.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I was MK when I fought
Grigori
and it was tough, and long, but still very doable. I was playing on Hard and almost every attack would one-shot me and I only had like 1 or 2 wakestones so it was tense as hell.
did you see his magic power tho?
Rarely 'cause he kept dying. :p

Anyways I backed up my file and started a new game. Hard was imperceptibly different with my level 200 character so I'm gonna do it for reals this time. First I gotta suicide run for double ring of perseverance
Hmm if I make a new character I think I'll just create an alternative Steam ID and use family sharing... that way people can still hire my old pawn. He's level 200 now and stacked with sexy gold-forged gear. If he lands a Helm Splitter, oooh boy.

so how do you actually get anything good out of Everfall? I've done like 6 or so chambers and I've only found a single chest that actually had a piece of equipment and it was some dark gloves. I found a guy who sells some stuff that seems a little better than normal, but nothing specifically good for a Mystic Knight at least.

Is there any good MK equipment I should be looking out for in there? How do I go about getting it?
Just do a couple of rooms normally, enough to get some levels and good curatives (like Liquid Vims and Salubrious Brews) and Wakestones (they can be helpful in BBI especially on hard where everything one-shots you at first), if you're lucky you'll get a decent piece of gear but if not, don't worry, BBI has better loot anyway.

bati

I just realised you can put down more than one Great Cannon at once \o/. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeit. Good thing that MK weapons are onehanded, leaves the other hand free to show the middle finger to whatever is currently being obliterated.

I just realised you can put down more than one Great Cannon at once o/. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeit. Good thing that MK weapons are onehanded, leaves the other hand free to show the middle finger to whatever is currently being obliterated.

Yep, line up a ruinous sigil, 2-3 cannons, and anything that walks into it gets destroyed. It's why I run with Full Moon Slash too - you can hit the cannon multiple times with it.

Jon Armdog

Anybody got a Moonshimmer Pelt they can gift me? That shit's beyond rare, it seems.

Steam ID is Vuffy Pulva.

I think I can hook you up, let me check it out when I get home. I may need to make a forgery, but I'm pretty sure I have at least one

Exentryk

I just realised you can put down more than one Great Cannon at once

Haha! Another tip I can give if you don't already know is that if you have an innately enchanted weapon, the great cannon will take its element even though you'll only see the default blue/white orbs.

And you're using Articulacy and the Wyrmking's ring right for reducing cast times? I just did the Wyrmking's quest last night, and now my AA is fairly quick.

And are you using Ripostes? They are really quick to cast too. Thunder countering arrows with perfect blocks is amazing to experience. I myself only just started using them. Going to be using Holy counters next.

DaciaJC

Gold Member

Steam ID is Vuffy Pulva.

I would, honestly. Somehow, I got a Moonshimmer Pelt from the very first Saurian Sage I met but forgot to save. Got killed by an Eliminator a few minutes later and didn't have a Wakestone, so I lost it. :(

bati

Haha! Another tip I can give if you don't already know is that if you have an innately enchanted weapon, the great cannon will take its element even though you'll only see the default blue/white orbs.

And you're using Articulacy and the Wyrmking's ring right for reducing cast times? I just did the Wyrmking's quest last night, and now my AA is fairly quick.

And are you using Ripostes? They are really quick to cast too. Thunder countering arrows with perfect blocks is amazing to experience. I myself only just started using them. Going to be using Holy counters next.

Yeah I'm using both. The class is great but all this constant rebuffing is slowly getting to me. As soon as I get a decent magic bow I'll spec back into MA.

TitusTroy

what are people's impressions (particularly those who never played the game before on console)...does the game compare favorably to Dark Souls?...I'm still planning on getting this, just been busy with other stuff

Cyrano

what are people's impressions (particularly those who never played the game before on console)...does the game compare favorably to Dark Souls?...I'm still planning on getting this, just been busy with other stuff
It's a very different and very similar game to Dark Souls. I'd say overall it's closer to Monster Hunter than Dark Souls though. BBI is extremely Souls-like (Dark Arisen content). Combat becomes Souls-like if you play as one of the classes with a dodge-roll; you get a similar amount of iframes from the roll, etc. Not all classes have access to that ability though. Casters have to take advantage of a levitate ability and Warrior-types (non Bow-wielders) have access to shields or just becoming immune to stagger/knockdown.

Jon Armdog

I enjoy playing Dogma significantly more than Dark Souls. The gameplay is more fun to me. But, they are very different games. While Dark Souls is a somber, lonely game with tight strategic fights...Dragons Dogma is a fast paced clobberfest with fairly deep NPC AI to manage. Dogma has extremely robust skills and class systems, far beyond anything in Dark Souls. But you could argue that Dark Souls has tighter more reliable controls.

They are just very different games, and which you like better won't depend on quality of either. It will just dpened on your preferences

Exentryk

As a first time player of DD, I am enjoying it. I have never played the Dark Souls games (don't intend to either), but the combat in DD has a lot of depth and variation. 9 different classes, with each one having their own ways of dealing with enemies. The abilities combine really well with each other (like casting one ability can set off another ability which in turn can set off yet another ability, etc.).

Not all classes can dodge, and not all classes can block. So there is variation even in the basic aspects of how you play the game. A shield user can use perfect blocks by timing the block exactly as the attack hits, while other classes have moves that have i-frames in certain abilities to get them out of trouble. There is double jump, instant reset, tornado and meteor spells, levitation, ice magic spells that can be used as stepping stones, character weight and height influencing stamina and carry weights, etc.

And I haven't even mentioned the Pawn system yet, which is another layer of depth in the game. Pawns are basically AI (upto 3 in a party) that can also be various classes. They learn and improve as you fight more monsters. You can also train them up to do particular things more often. For example, if you want a class to climb on enemies more often to strike at their weak points, then you need to train them as such. The game offers a lot of customization like that.

The storytelling and quests are fairly poor though. But I don't expect these things to be good in Japanese games in general. Just enjoy the combat and the world.

TitusTroy

It's a very different and very similar game to Dark Souls. I'd say overall it's closer to Monster Hunter than Dark Souls though. BBI is extremely Souls-like (Dark Arisen content). Combat becomes Souls-like if you play as one of the classes with a dodge-roll; you get a similar amount of iframes from the roll, etc. Not all classes have access to that ability though. Casters have to take advantage of a levitate ability and Warrior-types (non Bow-wielders) have access to shields or just becoming immune to stagger/knockdown.

As a first time player of DD, I am enjoying it...The storytelling and quests are fairly poor though. But I don't expect these things to be good in Japanese games in general. Just enjoy the combat and the world

sounds good...too bad Warriors don't have access to the dodge-roll...which classes have access to it?...too bad the storytelling is not on the level of the Souls games but the combat sounds like a lot of fun

Exentryk

do I have to manage Pawns/NPC's or can I go in as a lone wolf?...I normally hate squads/groups and prefer solo combat

You can play as a lone wolf if you like. There is even a bonus augment that increases your damage if you play alone.

Regarding dodge roll, Strider class gets it, and it's variations can use the rolls as well.

TitusTroy

Regarding dodge roll, Strider class starts off with it, and it's variations can use the rolls as well.

do you have to know all the classes and variations going into the game?...meaning do you have to plan out your build beforehand or does the game do a good job of explaining everything in detail while playing?

Cyrano

do I have to manage Pawns/NPC's or can I go in as a lone wolf?...I normally hate squads/groups and prefer solo combat
As Exentryk said, you can certainly play alone. Would recommend trying out the pawn system the first time though. As silly as they can be, they're also fun. They're also a very Monster Hunter-esque part of the game.
do you have to know all the classes and variations going into the game?...meaning do you have to plan out your build beforehand or does the game do a good job of explaining everything in detail while playing?
The game very much leaves you to figure it out. Checking out the wiki isn't a bad idea for knowledge about abilities and classes.

Exentryk

At the start of the game, you can only choose from three basic classes (Strider, Mage and Fighter). Strider does NOT have dodge roll right from the start (unlocks at vocation level 5, which is about 15 player level ups). Fighters do have access to the shield right from the start though. Only after reaching a certain location can you change in to other classes.

Also, classes impact your stats. So, a mage might give more stats to magic when levelling up, while a Strider might give more balanced stats. So, if you are one that likes to min-max, then you might want to plan your build. The game doesn't tell you what abilities a class will get in the future, so you'll have to do some reading on the wiki (which is pretty well written) if you want to plan in advance. But the abilities you do unlock all have good explanation within the game.

Having said that, because you can mix and match augments from different classes (like Attack +20% from one class, Attack +10% from another class, etc), it is recommended that you max out various vocations so you can use all of those augments on your desired vocation. It also gives you appreciation of the diversity in the game.

Cyrano

Is it really double? I recently read some document where the guy said it's 150%. Even when I went from normal to hard at level 40 I hardly noticed the difference.
I'm not actually sure. What I am sure is that all abilities cost significantly more stamina. I've recently heard that it apparently depends on the ability (some abilities cost double, some 1.5x, some 1.2x).

Dragon's Dogma has the best combat system in action RPGs next only to Souls and Bloodborne.

It's a different beast, to be sure. DD is far more hack and slashy, but it still has a lot of depth while being a blast to play. Unlike Dark Souls, the depth in the combat system comes from the individual classes and their skills. So while the individual weapons and spells really make up the depth of the combat in Dark Souls, it is the classes in DD that allow you to play the game in very diverse ways. A bit like Monster Hunter, a bit like Devil May Cry, and a bit like Dark Souls. None of those games except DD let you climb on giant monsters like Shadow of the Colossus though.

bati

Game's great. I find it interesting that even though the games are mechanically very different from one another DD still invokes the same feelings as DS in some places. It's definitely scratching my Souls itch and making the wait for DS3 more bearable.

My favorite thing about DD (and DS for that matter) is probably consistency. Enemies are fairly predictable, they always follow the same internal rules, hitboxes are pretty reliable - all the things necessary to allow the players to get familiar with its system and gradually get better at the game. It's a very different beast from your typical western AAA brawler where more emphasis is put on flashy animations rather than good combat subsystems.

AcAnchoa

I've been wandering around the world and clearing a few Everfall chambers and not being a fan of killing things over and over again just for the loot I'll leave this place and go to BBI once I find the chamber which holds the Ur-Dragon. I hate the repetitiveness of the chambers and the way you access them.

I have to say I don't understand the comparisons with Dark Souls. Both of them put you in a more or less opened world and ask you to slay everything that moves and stands in your path, but the way the combat and the world are presented is totally different. I love both of them and in terms of pure fun I'd put Dragon's Dogma over Dark Souls, it is very rare for a game to catch me these days and this one has made it.

ExoSoul

Banned
Yep, line up a ruinous sigil, 2-3 cannons, and anything that walks into it gets destroyed. It's why I run with Full Moon Slash too - you can hit the cannon multiple times with it.

Another pro-tip:

There's a maximum of projectiles (from the canon) that can be on screen at any given moment, go over it and the newer will replace the older without them reaching the target.

You might be fine since you're using it on close mobs but for distances 3 sigils and FMS means you will only send out the last projectiles.

Where I think hard mode is hard.

-Early to mid character levels with HP/Def
-Stamina consumption early to lateish levels.
-Stagger/knockdown changes especially against BBI enemies and dragons.

The worst part is probably being magic sniped by the
two dragons in the city area
. If they torpor you it can be a death sentence.

David___

Banned

Initially you are locked to the class you picked during the first mission (Strider, Mage, Fighter) until you reach level 10 and the main city. At that point you can change at will as long as you have enough DCP and either go to another starter vocation, an advanced vocation or hybrid vocation if you wish.

But having an idea of what you want from the classes doesnt hurt and itll save you time from leveling vocations for a specific augment and the DCP to get it.

Dont bother min maxing since the majority of the damage youll be doing is from the weapons' stats itself.

Killed
Grigori
yesterday, couple of deaths but manageable

Started NG+

first trip to BBI

some dark goblin, oh that's not that hard

then something appears

Death

nah i'm gonna try again

Death again

third time is a charm

Death

Am i supposed to defeat it? Or i'm going to the wrong place?

Genryu

Banned
Killed
Grigori
yesterday, couple of deaths but manageable

Started NG+

first trip to BBI

some dark goblin, oh that's not that hard

then something appears

Death

nah i'm gonna try again

Death again

third time is a charm

Death

Am i supposed to defeat it? Or i'm going to the wrong place?

No,
Death always shows up there when you first come in, just run to the next area because you can not beat him at your level yet.

No,
Death always shows up there when you first come in, just run to the next area because you can not beat him at your level yet.

thanks

You completed the main game before going to NG+ And BBI, right? That's not the final main game boss that you spoiler tagged.

yeah, Grigori, then killed and became the Seneschal, then stabbed myself with the Godsbane

Lorcain

I've been wandering around the world and clearing a few Everfall chambers and not being a fan of killing things over and over again just for the loot I'll leave this place and go to BBI once I find the chamber which holds the Ur-Dragon. I hate the repetitiveness of the chambers and the way you access them.

I have to say I don't understand the comparisons with Dark Souls. Both of them put you in a more or less opened world and ask you to slay everything that moves and stands in your path, but the way the combat and the world are presented is totally different. I love both of them and in terms of pure fun I'd put Dragon's Dogma over Dark Souls, it is very rare for a game to catch me these days and this one has made it.
The Everfall is kind of a drag, but thankfully it doesn't take long
to get your 20 wakestones and leave...or take a shot at the online or offline Ur Dragon.

BBI on the other hand is an atmospheric, Dark Souls-like experience. Moody, challenging, excellent layout, crazy monster encounters, and clever short cuts that unlock back to the starting area. And BBI is meant to be completed many times over to see and experience everything that place has to offer.

Haunted

The Everfall is kind of a drag, but thankfully it doesn't take long
to get your 20 wakestones and leave...or take a shot at the online or offline Ur Dragon.

BBI on the other hand is an atmospheric, Dark Souls-like experience. Moody, challenging, excellent layout, crazy monster encounters, and clever short cuts that unlock back to the starting area. And BBI is meant to be completed many times over to see and experience everything that place has to offer.
I like BBI, but let's not go crazy now, BBI has repeating layouts as well and the short cuts aren't clever or actually connected in the world at all. You're consistently going down for 10 minutes, then up half a staircase and through a door and suddenly you're supposed to come out above the starting point? I don't believe the 3D model of BBI is logically connected at all, the doors are basically just warps back to the starting point (which isn't terrible, just regular dungeon crawler design, but don't prop it up next to Dark Souls).

That said, it's still a really fun dungeon just because of the frequency of the big monster encounters, which are arguably the most fun part of the game.

It's better and more varied than the garbage level design of the Everfall at least. While it makes an awesome first impression with its appearance and the freefalling... having literally only 3 different rooms stretched out to 16 floors in various configuration is an amount of repetition not even seen in Dragon Age 2.

Top Bottom