• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

ExoSoul

Banned
Pro-tip:
Don't purify one by one, purify in bulk.

The way to do this is (and you can theoretically get them all in one go [meaning only needing 13 lvl 3 weapons]):
Save your game before purifying, check what weapons you get and the order you get them when you and your pawn are both on a red vocation, godsbane yourself afterwards, now check the weapons and order for the yellow vocations, godsbane and, you guessed it, check the weapons and order for the blue vocation.

There will be a lot of doubles and some will overlap.
Mark which position the weapons you want for each color are in and purify them in that order, for instance:
1st-4th you purify as red vocations, 5th you purify as blues, 6th-7th as yellows, 8th as red and so on untill you have all the weapons.

The reason you should do it like this is because the game follows a script that dictates what weapons you can get for each individual item and that script resets to a random position once you purify your last lvl3 weapon.
If you don't have enough lvl 3 weapons keep at least one so that the scrip doesn't reset but you will need more if you do it in turns than if you do it in one go.

There's another way to do it and this one is only prefered if you're looking for a specific weapon:
Make sure you have equal numbers lvl 2 and lvl 3 weapons, then check the results for the lvl 2s. If the weapon you want is amongst them then purify the lvl2s and lvl 3s together until the position of the weapon you want.
(if you want a magick bow and it was the 5th position out of 8 lvl 2 weapons as blue vocations then purify 5 lvl 2s and 5 lvl 3s together)

The reason why this works is because the game has another script that ties the results of puifications of the same kind across the levels (1 and 2, 2 and 3)
If the weapon you wanted wasn't between the level 2s you might want to consider purifying all of the level 2s and reseting the the order for those.

Edit:
And for your farming woes you can also godsbane yourself on certain key chests for lvl 2/3 armor/weapons and RC.

Anko

Level 3 weapons are tied to level 2 weapons? I don't suppose the same applies to armour? I just need those Carrion Greaves to complete everything. I actually finished my weapons with hardly any overlap.

I've clearly forgotten some of the tricks to purification.

iosefe

someone sent my pawn back with a wyrmking's ring

it's a shame i already did the forgery shenanigans

who are you so i cna send it back?

Carcetti

I know how that feels. I had that same problem on the console but I've had the luck of having my awesome pawn be recruited often enough on PC that I never ran out of RC. She just returned with another 500,000 RC. I actually prioritised getting her equipment over mine just for that.

I love my pawn. I've purified a ton of level 2s and I still got over a million RC currently. It really pays to tune your pawn to look good and play well.

My actual character looks like she came from Burning Crusade era WoW but at least nobody sees her.

someone sent my pawn back with a wyrmking's ring

it's a shame i already did the forgery shenanigans

who are you so i cna send it back?

Keep it? It only works for the person holding it, so you holding it has no effect on a sorc/mage pawn; you'd need 4 rings if you'd ever want to roll with an all sorc party.

iosefe

Keep it? It only works for the person holding it, so you holding it has no effect on a sorc/mage pawn; you'd need 4 rings if you'd ever want to roll with an all sorc party.

touché

so i gave Selene the arisen's Bond and made sure to talk to her last befor Deny Salvation
but i got Mercedes

i'm okay with this

ExoSoul

Banned
Level 3 weapons are tied to level 2 weapons? I don't suppose the same applies to armour? I just need those Carrion Greaves to complete everything. I actually finished my weapons with hardly any overlap.

I've clearly forgotten some of the tricks to purification.

They're only tied so long as you have equal numbers.
And no, armor works differently. Mainly because there's two tiers of gear.
Armor follows another script but it's much more complex for me to go over now.

Edit:
Fuck! Just realised I forgot to update my pawn info last I played.
She has at least four more beast with 3 stars and some more levels under her belt.

Malrend

Apologies for what I assume has been asked and answered numerous times already.

Rift Crystals, are they only used for hiring higher level pawns or do they have other uses later on?

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member

Rift Crystals, are they only used for hiring higher level pawns or do they have other uses later on?

You can buy potions to change the inclinations of your pawn at the Encampment for 250 RC each. In the Dark Arisen content (Bitterblack Isle) RC are used to purify "cursed" items which results in pretty much the best items in the game. This ranges from a few hundred RC for level 1 items up to something like 25k for level 3 items. Also, hiring pawns of people on your friend list is free, no matter what level they are.

Radio

You need them to identify gear on Bitterblack Isle, and there's also a merchant next to the Rift Stone at the Encampment that sells stuff for Rift Crystals.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Kind of surprising to me how many pawns I see in the meat market with zero regard for their gear. I'm an OCD shithead, so ofc myself and my pawn's full loadout is goldforged, but seeing pawns with even all 3-star gear and above is RARE. So many ghetto fab pawns with non-upgraded stuff. I understand if you're lower level. That stuff's expensive, and dragonforging all your pawns gear can be a pain in the butt, but if you're level 100-200 you've spent some time kicking around BBI, get your shit together.

Ferr986

Well, I did reach it and got my pawn back. I guess I should also fight the Hydra? I'll try tonight.

I did kill the Hydra before heading to BBI. Maybe that's the trick.

Btw, what do you guys think is more useful on BBI as a pawn? Mages or Sorc? Just trying to get the more hires possible.

void666

Banned
My pawn is dumb as bricks.

We were exploring this huge room with two chained gorecyclops. I didn't intend to fight them. I'm just looking for chests. Then i hear my pawn say something. She casts gicel and agroes one of the cyclops.
I do my best to keep the fight away from the other cyclops. No problem, we can do it.
Then... she walks to the other side of the room and casts gicel on the chained cyc...

Now i have 2 gorecyclops swinging their clubs like crazy. We seek refuge in a narrow hallway. I start cheesing them with my magic bow. I realise i'm the only one doing something usefull. I look to my left and she is breaking crates...

Ferr986

My pawn is dumb as bricks.

We were exploring this huge room with two chained gorecyclops. I didn't intend to fight them. I'm just looking for chests. Then i hear my pawn say something. She casts gicel and agroes one of the cyclops.

That was my pawn with my first condemned Gorecyclops

She said "Maybe we shouldn't attack him, master" and then proceed to attack him. Friggin troll of a pawn lol

gunbo13

So I've played at least a dozen hours of DD. Skipped it on console due to the frame-rate uproar and I'm glad I did. My 970 isn't OC'd but with ENB I only get slight dips during busy moments. The worst is mid 40s in large open landscapes. I'm sure with an OC I could cut all of this down.

I'm still going due to the combat. That's despite the combat being pretty standard. Most large bosses require some tricks but many are SoTC fights. They also have very loose hit boxes so taking damage is just about simple positioning. A lot of fights can also be accomplished, especially if you are under leveled, by sprint chain rezzing your team. Eventually you will win with DPS. The attack system reminds me of a little more in-depth Fable system. You find your b&b attack strings and use them. The stamina bar does add some strategy but not much. I'd say the combat is just good enough to be fun.

The RPG stuff is cumbersome. A lot of running around and fetching. Inventory management is too much. And managing your weight, much like real life, is quite often very tedious. I'll probably sniff out some mods but it's definitely overdone. I don't care much about story but there is one...I think.

The best:
- "Hi, nice to meet you." * Proceeds to break half their things and steal all their valuables *
- Picking up an NPC and throwing them.
- Throwing useless pawns off cliffs.
- Silly hats
- Skill upgrade and assignment system

The worst:
- Pawns getting stuck and pitifully following orders.
- I have looted too much...too much...once again...
- SoTC neck slaps
- A lot of casting is too slow for standard buffs
- No auto-transfer of pawn inventories to storage when sent away

I don't have any additional glaring positives or negatives. It is just a pretty good game. Nothing is great but nothing is really bad. It reminds me of the good times in Fable, which is nice.

ultrazilla

I read the faq pretty thoroughly and I'm really loving the game so far! I picked a female Strider pawn as I'm a warrior class. Figured the Strider could shoot from afar and back me when I'm up close hacking and slashing.

Runs beautifully on my Asus Superclocked 970. Everything maxed at 1080 and never dips below 60fps.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Btw, now I have 4 lvl 3 cursed weapons stacked. They income is 2 daggers and two physical bows, and I don't want any of them. So my only choice here is, gift them? If I do the next ones will have different items I suppose?
Nah I tried that a few times, doesn't work so well.
Then I'm fucked. I have not enough RC to purify these 4 cursed weapons and keep going.
What's your Steam ID? I'll add you and take your pawn for a spin.

Wish I could donate RC. I got like 2 million lol.

Side note: I hate, HATE, playing the Sorcerer through post-Daimon BBI. It's not even "hard mode", it's "this fucking sucks, and isn't remotely fun in any way at all mode". Spells just take way too long to cast, can be interrupted by everything (even when using the augments that are supposed to help prevent interruption) and once/if you are able to finally cast them, don't do nearly enough damage for the time taken outside of High Maelstrom in places like the Fallen City, ragdolling Eliminators. I've tried all the spells, preparing those against the weaknesses of enemies I know I'll be encountering, and the only spells that I've gotten any real mileage out of is Ingle, High Maelstrom (although sometimes I have to use it because it's the only thing I can use that causes any damage, even if the damage is super slow) and High Gicel (mostly for drakes and it's also about the only thing I've been able to hit Living Armors with).
It's not that bad. I prefer that over warrior 'cause at least you aren't fucked if you meet a Living Armor.

Just killed two Cursed Dragons in Duskmoon Tower with a sorcerer, trying to dragonforge my Sanguine Stalk. It went well enough, I alternated between High Bolide and holy-pacted charged shots. But nope. >_< Well at least I got some armour pieces dragonforged.

Including that Duke's set. Tempted to try it. Defenses are poor but holy shit at the resistances. 60% piercing resist, 50% striking resist, 79% stagger/knockdown resist? :O And that's not even rarefied yet. That has to be good. I hope.

I am level 120 now, and I'm seriously considering just doing another 50 Ur-Dragon kills using weal items just so I can go back to actually having fun with the MA (which really feels three or four tiers above the Sorcerer now).
Ugh, it's your problem for min-maxing. Stop playing as a sorcerer and enjoy yourself. :p

Kind of surprising to me how many pawns I see in the meat market with zero regard for their gear. I'm an OCD shithead, so ofc myself and my pawn's full loadout is goldforged, but seeing pawns with even all 3-star gear and above is RARE. So many ghetto fab pawns with non-upgraded stuff. I understand if you're lower level. That stuff's expensive, and dragonforging all your pawns gear can be a pain in the butt, but if you're level 100-200 you've spent some time kicking around BBI, get your shit together.
Yeah that's annoying. Don't want to name any names but I've seen some level 200 pawns with non-upgraded, weak-ass stuff. Sure it was for looks but it wasn't even dragonforged so they were so squishy I was constantly reviving them. Not hiring them anymore.

Cyrano

I am level 120 now, and I'm seriously considering just doing another 50 Ur-Dragon kills using weal items just so I can go back to actually having fun with the MA (which really feels three or four tiers above the Sorcerer now).
Would suggest using a CE table to just give yourself max experience. The grind to 200 is slow and boring if you're min-maxing. I know mostly because I did it a few times when I had the game on PS3.

Meanwhile, I'm like level 55 fighting the Ur-Dragon to get beefy enough to take on BBI more than a couple floors at a time. Also working on the DLC quests that give you extra riftbux and exp, and doing the achievement side quests.

I really am enjoying this game though. Anyone know the most efficient way to level up? I feel like once I hit 45-50 I'm just leveling super slowly. Don't want to go to hard mode because I already have issues saving stamina.

bati

OMG Mystic Knight is amazing. I was dead set on playing MA until the end of the game but after trying out Ruinous Sigil and Great Cannon.....so torn ;_;. I love that I can cast weapon buffs at will instead of waiting on the pawns to buff me with the wrong one for the encounter.

Question - does Dark Anguish (and its evolved version) stack with elemental enchants that you can cast with your shield?

OMG Mystic Knight is amazing. I was dead set on playing MA until the end of the game but after trying out Ruinous Sigil and Great Cannon.....so torn ;_;. I love that I can cast weapon buffs at will instead of waiting on the pawns to buff me with the wrong one for the encounter.

Question - does Dark Anguish (and its evolved version) stack with elemental enchants that you can cast with your shield?

Yes. It also takes into account your shield's stats so you get a lot of output with it.

Lagamorph

I'm the exact opposite, I've found Mystic Knight to be a huge disappointment so far.
I was expecting to be able to go in wielding a sword, but be able to use both sword skills and mage spells at the same time.
Instead, as far as I can only use sword skills with a sword equipped, and spells with a staff equipped. I just sit thinking "What's the point? I might as well just go for Warrior or Sorcerer really".

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm the exact opposite, I've found Mystic Knight to be a huge disappointment so far.
I was expecting to be able to go in wielding a sword, but be able to use both sword skills and mage spells at the same time.
Instead, as far as I can only use sword skills with a sword equipped, and spells with a staff equipped. I just sit thinking "What's the point? I might as well just go for Warrior or Sorcerer really".
Because the sword and shield skills are awesome?

bati

Yes. It also takes into account your shield's stats so you get a lot of output with it.

Sold! Does it also transfer to Great Cannon attacks?

What's a good MK setup anyway? At the moment (rank 7) I'm using:

Sword:

Sky Rapture (for the occasional massive Fuck You to harpies)
Ruinous Sigil
Great Cannon

Shield:

Elemental enchant #1
Elemental enchant #2
Elemental enchant #3 (going to swap with with the Dark enchant now that I know it stacks)

Augments:

Acquity
Sinew
Emphasis
Perpetuation
Clout
Articulacy

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The sword skills are ok so far, the shield skills though.....meh. I'd much rather have the Shield Skill button be used for spells instead. Right now Mystic Knight feels no different to Fighter.
I disagree. I typically run with Blessed Riposte, Blessed Trance, and Abyssal Anguish on the shield, which are pretty solid buffs (especially if you are good at perfect blocks), and for sword skills, stuff like Ruinous Sigil, Great Cannon and Stone Forest sure as hell don't feel like warrior skills either.

Edit:

Sword:

Ruinous Sigil
Great Cannon

Shield:

Elemental enchant #1
Elemental enchant #2
Elemental enchant #3 (going to swap with with the Dark enchant now that I know it stacks)

Augments:

Acquity
Sinew
Emphasis
Perpetuation
Clout
Articulacy
Sounds good. I just posted my preferred skillset above but of course YMMV. I don't use Perpetuation because it doesn't even work on shield skills sadly, but it's true that the sword enchanting skill is short so that can be useful there. I think I have Ferocity instead.

Llyranor

You.... can swap weapons at any time in battle...?

That's what I love the most about assassin, just swapping weapon sets based on the battle situation. Shooting with the bow, switching to shield when I'm being surrounded by melee enemies, going from sword to dagger when I want to be more agile and dodge more, all in the same encounter. Good fun.

Soodanim

What's worse is seeing pawns with 2 base level skills and nothing else. The last time I saw it was around level 100. Did they cheat their way to that level and not think about the other stuff? I never summon them to see their gear/stats.

Speaking of pawns, I will notice your pawn more if it's not female. There's so many that the make ones stand out as being different for once. And within that group I very rarely see ones that aren't white. Where's the imagination?

I've seen some recreations though, they were amusing. I used an Iron Tarkus for quite a while, and I also spent a small amount of time with an Obama and a Gaben.

bati

I don't use Perpetuation because it doesn't even work on shield skills sadly, but it's true that the sword enchanting skill is short so that can be useful there. I think I have Ferocity instead.

Ah, that's a shame. I put it on because I only have the base version of enchants right now and could swear it was working. Placebo at work I guess :D. Do you find Riposte skills that useful? It feels kinda clunky with the magic shield because it's so much slower than the ones fighters/assassins use.

And on a related note, do parries (Master Kill in particular) and ripostes work versus boss attacks? If Dark Souls taught me anything it's that you shouldn't even attempt to block wide sweeps from a 30 foot monster but apparently this game doesn't give two shits about what Dark Souls thinks.

Sword:

Ruinous Sigil
Great Cannon

Shield:

Elemental enchant #1
Elemental enchant #2

Augments:

Acquity
Sinew
Emphasis
Perpetuation
Clout
Articulacy

I ran:

Sword: Ruinous Sigil, Stone Forest, Great Cannon.
Shield: Flame Riposte, Thunder/Ice Riposte, Abyssal Anguish.

You don't need Sky Rapture when you have Great Cannon.

Ah, that's a shame. I put it on because I only have the base version of enchants right now and could swear it was working. Placebo at work I guess :D. Do you find Riposte skills that useful? It feels kinda clunky with the magic shield because it's so much slower than the ones fighters/assassins use.

And on a related note, do parries (Master Kill in particular) and ripostes work versus boss attacks? If Dark Souls taught me anything it's that you shouldn't even attempt to block wide sweeps from a 30 foot monster but apparently this game doesn't give two shits about what Dark Souls thinks.

Riposte skills are insanely useful. Flame shoots homing balls of fire, Thunder has unlimited range so lighting can strike an archer 100 meters away when you block his arrow, Dark applies Torpor to whatever you riposte. Mystic Knight is all about that shield.

Masterfull Kill and Ripostes work on almost every attack in the game, even magic cast by enemies. And yes, If you see a 2 ton dragon about to belly-flop on your ass -- riposte that sumbitch like a boss!

Soodanim

Masterful kill works on anything, not just small enemies? I always assumed it's like the other skills that only work on small ones.

I'm learning a lot about DD from this thread, and it's mostly about how nothing I think to be true actually is. I learned from Final Fantasy that any important boss is immune to poison, slow, or silence. Now my pawn rolls with a goldforged gold bow and goldforged rusted daggers.

Does anyone know what sort of use of a pawn relates to what RC count they bring back? Thanks to (I think, because I dont have the game running) Custodio for sending mine back with 51k. I'd just spent a lot so the timing was great.

bati

Thanks RyanardoDaVinci, I looked up Thunder riposte and it sounds insane. I'll likely go with Thunder Riposte, Blessed Trance (because enemies that require holy dmg seem to be the most annoying) and Abyssal Anguish.

Thanks RyanardoDaVinci, I looked up Thunder riposte and it sounds insane. I'll likely go with Thunder Riposte, Blessed Trance (because enemies that require holy dmg seem to be the most annoying) and Abyssal Anguish.

That's what I have on my shield at the moment. I often swap out the elemental riposte because I like variety, and if I'm fighting the Ur-Dragon I often replace the riposte with Holy Furor for maximum damage.

Mace wise I have Full Moon Slash, Ruinous Sigil, and Great Cannon.

I just got the ring that upgrades Blessed Trance as well, so I can give a huge holy weapon buff to my party. If I need a different elemental buff I hire a mage / sorcerer. Pretty nifty.

Also you say that MK shields are slow - the starter ones are. But when you get to the point that you can find / buy some mid range ones, then they're more than adequate for shielding. I have similar augments to you but I went with Prescience for easier ripostes and Bastion for the defenses instead of Emphasis and Perpetuation.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
What's worse is seeing pawns with 2 base level skills and nothing else. The last time I saw it was around level 100. Did they cheat their way to that level and not think about the other stuff? I never summon them to see their gear/stats.

Speaking of pawns, I will notice your pawn more if it's not female. There's so many that the make ones stand out as being different for once. And within that group I very rarely see ones that aren't white. Where's the imagination?

I've seen some recreations though, they were amusing. I used an Iron Tarkus for quite a while, and I also spent a small amount of time with an Obama and a Gaben.

The only thing I can think of regarding that first bit is that sometimes when your pawn is in a transitional period, like you have them set to a class they've never played as but you need temporarily for purifying in BBI and happen to sleep at the bench, that'll upload that shitty vocation. So it makes sense that you'll see pawns that look fresh off the boat at high lvl occasionally.

And on the subject of male pawns: after rolling with a female pawn for the entire game (tho most of that time she was a hideous, goblinesque, monster-lady) I finally decided to swim against the tide completely and make a male pawn. So far a full day of that without a single rent. I'm well off enough with RC now that I don't need to whore out my pawn anymore, so I'm keeping it as a guy. It was crazy seeing how drastic the amount of rents I was getting juxtaposed between it being a sexy elf lady and it being a sexy elf man.

It's not surprising, but still crazy.

edit: I forgot to mention the reason I made the permanent jump to guy pawn was that, not only are male pawns in general just exceedingly rare, but the vast majority of that small number of male pawns seem to ALWAYS be either joke characters, like Hitler, Hodor, Gaben, etc, or just have completely IDIOTIC names like Mr Lazerpants, or whatever. So much effort spent making the plethora of waifu pawns, trying to find a decently cool looking guy without an embarrassing name is struggle. I should done it sooner.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The only thing I can think of regarding that first bit is that sometimes when your pawn is in a transitional period, like you have them set to a class they've never played as but you need temporarily for purifying in BBI and happen to sleep at the bench, that'll upload that shitty vocation. So it makes sense that you'll see pawns that look fresh off the boat at high lvl occasionally.

And on the subject of male pawns: after rolling with a female pawn for the entire game (tho most of that time she was a hideous, goblinesque, monster-lady) I finally decided to swim against the tide completely and make a male pawn. So far a full day of that without a single rent. I'm well off enough with RC now that I don't need to whore out my pawn anymore, so I'm keeping it as a guy. It was crazy seeing how drastic the amount of rents I was getting juxtaposed between it being a sexy elf lady and it being a sexy elf man.

It's not surprising, but still crazy.

edit: I forgot to mention the reason I made the permanent jump to guy pawn was that, not only are male pawns in general just exceedingly rare, but the vast majority of that small number of male pawns seem to ALWAYS be either joke characters, like Hitler, Hodor, Gaben, etc, or just have completely IDIOTIC names like Mr Lazerpants, or whatever. So much effort spent making the plethora of waifu pawns, trying to find a decently cool looking guy without an embarrassing name is struggle. I should done it sooner.

+1

One of the reasons I always make male pawns. And original creations (not gimmicks/cosplays), with cool names and looks. Some cosplays are cool and well-done though, like the Sif one I saw, and I saw one for Athelstan that looked cool early on, but sadly he remained level 22 forever, guess the player didn't play much. :(

The sheer number of red-haired waifus is just sad, to be honest. Even when they're not dressed like strippers, I can't help but kind of roll my eyes a bit since it's so cliché. One of the best character creation and like easily 70% of players use it to make generic hot redheads.

Edit:

rip gen 36
Just checked, it still got many bars left?

Is anybody getting BSOD during the game? Been happening to me since launch and still ongoing. Doesn't happen with other games (tested with 4 others) and typically occurs when entering new area via loading screen.

Also every time I rest at inn it says the server is unavailable and has done so since launch. My pawn can't get on the rift because of it.

My pawn is dumb as bricks...I look to my left and she is breaking crates...

I messed up my pawns inclination upon starting the game. Just spam press "go!" during fights and sit them down in a knowledge chair whenever possible. Should set them straight to always engage during battles.

The sheer number of red-haired waifus is just sad, to be honest. Even when they're not dressed like strippers, I can't help but kind of roll my eyes a bit since it's so cliché. One of the best character creation and like easily 70% of players use it to make generic hot redheads.

Why red with this game?

Haroon

+1

One of the reasons I always make male pawns. And original creations (not gimmicks/cosplays), with cool names and looks. Some cosplays are cool and well-done though, like the Sif one I saw, and I saw one for Athelstan that looked cool early on, but sadly he remained level 22 forever, guess the player didn't play much. :(

Edit:

Just checked, it still got many bars left?

nm, sorry.

Exentryk

Because Red is the colour of Dragon's Dogma.

Correct.

WVL8lkS.jpg

red is visually appealing and calls attention to the eyes.

think about the color palette of the overall world in DD where you find and hire pawns. all towns are majorly earth and toned down colors.

also it doesn't help a lot of the other hair color options are also subdued. even the blondes blend into your clothing.

Top Bottom