• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

Exentryk

I think mages do get hired more. My pawn as a mage and sorcerer used to get hired all the time. But the moment I switched her to a Strider, it has only been hired once so far in 3 days. I guess since I'm levelling her up, the abilities were likely not enticing enough for people. I'll monitor it for a few more days as I'm close to maxing out the vocation.

Ryne

Uh, reading the past few pages I guess going to BBi as a strider isn't really a good option eh? Strider is my favourite class to play with, but I can't take on those living armours everyone keeps talking about?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
My male mage pawn is hired more than I would imagine it at first.

Yeah, well your pawn isn't too sexy for his shirt like mine.

YyFEqlN.png

He's been a mage this whole time. Was thinking about switching him to Sorc to see if I have any more luck there. I think the most popular my pawn has ever been was back when it was a female and a sorcerer.

Cyrano

Uh, reading the past few pages I guess going to BBi as a strider isn't really a good option eh? Strider is my favourite class to play with, but I can't take on those living armours everyone keeps talking about?
If you have Heaven's Key you can take them down no problem.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I have ruinous sigil but I dont have great cannon.

Great Cannon is literally the best reason to play MK. You need it. If you stack Cannon and Sigil on top of each other it sets a trap that an enemy standing in will trigger for a ridiculous amount of damage.

Golnei

Yeah, well your pawn isn't too sexy for his shirt like mine.

He's been a mage this whole time. Was thinking about switching him to Sorc to see if I have any more luck there. I think the most popular my pawn has ever been was back when it was a female and a sorcerer.

I can't help but agree that there's probably a reason nobody wants to hire that. I don't think it'll help much more to switch it to Sorcerer on its own; making it female again would be a much more reliable way of ensuring someone will hire it.

Alexm92

Great Cannon is literally the best reason to play MK. You need it. If you stack Cannon and Sigil on top of each other it sets a trap that an enemy standing in will trigger for a ridiculous amount of damage.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Cannon is the only (only) reason to play an MK. You poor fool.

Damn I hope I can go back and change. Thanks for the info guys. Cant wait to try again

c0Zm1c

My male pawn hasn't been hired in a while. He came back with over 60k RC once, which I was really pleased with. The dream is over. :'(

LiQuid!

Not really surprised at the lack of shared ironic appreciation for my husbando. Not surprised, just a little disappointed.

Lorcain

MA is a great class for BBI no doubt, but Strider is right up there too. Skull Splitter/Brain Splitter destroys most everything, including Living Armor if you bring along a Mage with holy enchant/pact (or you have Heavens Key daggers). For the bigger enemies in BBI playing as a strider makes life much easier with how quickly they can mount, climb and hold on. Once you get the augments Adhesion and Opportunistic it's game over for the big baddies, including the final BBI boss.

Playing as a strider you also have the flexibility and option to use precision ranged targeting and blast arrows, which a MA doesn't get. When I'm not playing strider, I will usually take a strider pawn with me in BBI. There are some really well geared and well augmented strider pawns out there.

Ascheroth

Question: were achievements bugged the day it came out or something? Because I've just noticed I've still not gotten the one for completing the prologue, lol. (Just finished the wyrmhunt quests after ~35h playtime)

Ryne

MA is a great class for BBI no doubt, but Strider is right up there too. Skull Splitter/Brain Splitter destroys most everything, including Living Armor if you bring along a Mage with holy enchant/pact (or you have Heavens Key daggers). For the bigger enemies in BBI playing as a strider makes life much easier with how quickly they can mount, climb and hold on. Once you get the augments Adhesion and Opportunistic it's game over for the big baddies, including the final BBI boss.

Playing as a strider you also have the flexibility and option to use precision ranged targeting and blast arrows, which a MA doesn't get. When I'm not playing strider, I will usually take a strider pawn with me in BBI. There are some really well geared and well augmented strider pawns out there.

Thanks for the info. I really didn't want to go to the magic classes, not my cup of tea.

Styles

Frostwyrms are the most annoying dragon enemy in the game, especially when you have two of them in your face spamming bollides every chance they get. Ugh, the one time I forget to bring my Golden Bastard.

For any folks new to playing DD and rolling Assassin, I'm going to give the same words of wisdom I gave on the console version.

Masterful Kill is your best friend and you should use it.

Why? I'll tell you why. It's a counter-attack. But not just a counter, a very hard hitting counter. One that stuffs almost every attack in the game. This includes but is not limited to:

- All straight-up melee swing attacks, regardless of enemy size
- All charging/tackles, regardless of enemy size
- Some throw/grab attacks
- Some magic spells (yes I said magic)

And so on. There's a giant list of the things this move straight up no-sells like a pro wrestler. Far more than the original Easy Kill attack and vastly more than both of the sword counters. You are also safe from attack for the duration of the actual attack animation.

The other wonderful thing about Masterful Kill is that unlike any other counter in the game, it does not, I repeat DOES NOT have a "window". If you use it before an attack hits, as long as you take no other action you could stand there for ten years and when they hit you it will activate.

This skill is amazing, and benefits greatly if you combine it with Instant Reset as you can be safe from pretty much anything enemies can throw at you with good reflexes. When I did solo BBI Assassin runs back on console it was the MVP. It's hilarious to watch guys like Living Armor or Eliminator become completely impotent as they flail at you and only kill themselves faster. Or when you do counter chains on multiple swings.

So yeah, use it if you don't already. It's that good.

LiQuid!

I've been playing thru BBI as a ranger this time (was MK last time) and those living armors are the damned worst. Even if I can managed to get my mages to holy buff me I still do such pitiful damage to them for some reason.

Damn I hope I can go back and change. Thanks for the info guys. Cant wait to try again

Maybe I was doing it wrong but I did that boss as a MK at about your level and didn't use great cannon. I Just kept climbing up and bashing his heart. I didn't realize that the MC would hit weak spots like that. As others have said Ruinous Sigil + Magic Cannon is awesome. Both are improved by putting an elemental enchantment on your weapon first. MC also works best with the full moon slash.

Edit: I used the ballista a bit too. Also I think you have to die to access the "reload from checkpoint" option.

Edit 2: I seem to have used great cannon, Magic cannon + MC to refer to the same skill. Don't know why.

I thought I'd enjoy mystic knight but I spent more time hitting yellow balls than the enemy

I used Great Cannon for flying enemies, mostly.

My main strategy was to cast Abyssal Anguish > cast Flame/Thunder Riposte > beat the hell out of the monster > block all the things. I'd cast Ruinous Sigil or Stone Forest if the monster got stunned/knocked down.

Lorcain

For any folks new to playing DD and rolling Assassin, I'm going to give the same words of wisdom I gave on the console version.

This should be a DD PSA. The game doesn't do a good job of explaining just how great this skill is. Like you said, Merciful Kill isn't a precision counter, it doesn't require good timing like perfect blocks and the sword counters do. All you have to do is activate the skill and stand still for as long as you want...until something makes the mistake of attacking you.

You can use it as a precision counter, but it's not necessary. The counter attack wrecks things and gives you I-frames while you're doing it.

Unai

What do I have to do to stop getting my Utilitarian pawn inclinarion being pushed down all the time in favor of scather and challenger? I've bought some elixiers but it's like I can barely play one or two days and the utilitarian is pushed down again.

What do I have to do to stop getting my Utilitarian pawn inclinarion being pushed down all the time in favor of scather and challenger? I've bought some elixiers but it's like I can barely play one or two days and the utilitarian is pushed down again.

Sounds like that's the right order for what you want!

So I have a sorceress pawn.
Is Utilitarian/Challenger/Scather a decent inclination? Want her to go for long range units, followed by the strongest, without getting close to the enemies.

Left D-Pad command in battle pushes Utilitarian inclinations a bit. I try to use it once or twice every now and again to keep Scather from taking over on my Strider.

Sanctuary

Yeah that's weird. Usually for me is that they landed in the streets below and are invisible, but keep spamming those spells. I would always look up and see no drakes, then suddenly one lept up from between buildings as I panned the camera around and I was all "oh there it is".

Yeah, at least one of them does have a tendancy to phase inside of one of the houses, and you occasionally see its tail clipping out when it moves it from side to side. I've been running through this area too, although the main reason to even bother with it is for the chest that has a chance to drop a lvl 3 item. It's impossible to farm it though with spells going off like it's the Fourth of July.

So I have a sorceress pawn.
Is Utilitarian/Challenger/Scather a decent inclination? Want her to go for long range units, followed by the strongest, without getting close to the enemies.

It is what I run. The other I see talked about is Chall/Util/Scather.

Late game Scather will keep creeping up the list so you have to supress it with potions.

Khilandros

Anyone use the unlimited carry weight/no stamina drain running mod? I'm tempted by it.

I use unlimited weight and half drain stamina. I don't think I can play without it, so much better for me and my hoarding habits. Also, people have been renting my pawn without any problems, so it is safe.

Jag

Why? I'll tell you why. It's a counter-attack. But not just a counter, a very hard hitting counter. One that stuffs almost every attack in the game. This includes but is not limited to:

- All straight-up melee swing attacks, regardless of enemy size
- All charging/tackles, regardless of enemy size
- Some throw/grab attacks
- Some magic spells (yes I said magic)

And so on. There's a giant list of the things this move straight up no-sells like a pro wrestler. Far more than the original Easy Kill attack and vastly more than both of the sword counters. You are also safe from attack for the duration of the actual attack animation.

The other wonderful thing about Masterful Kill is that unlike any other counter in the game, it does not, I repeat DOES NOT have a "window". If you use it before an attack hits, as long as you take no other action you could stand there for ten years and when they hit you it will activate.

This skill is amazing, and benefits greatly if you combine it with Instant Reset as you can be safe from pretty much anything enemies can throw at you with good reflexes. When I did solo BBI Assassin runs back on console it was the MVP. It's hilarious to watch guys like Living Armor or Eliminator become completely impotent as they flail at you and only kill themselves faster. Or when you do counter chains on multiple swings.

So yeah, use it if you don't already. It's that good.

Thanks for the tips. I just started playing and I'm a level 18 Strider and didn't even realize I could change vocations. At what point do I swap out my Strider? I like the fast damage classes and was thinking about going either Assassin or Magic Archer next but I don't want to be too weak and get crushed by bosses.

I don't mind the lack of hand holding in the game. I'm familiar with Souls and Bloodborne, but the game really doesn't give you much info at all.

Any tips to make combat easier is greatly appreciated.

Story quest spoliers.

"It looks like Fournival will be found innocent"

*stays at inn*

"Guilty"

*glares at pawn*
I guess you don't want his Maker's Finger or unlimited supply of conquerer or demon's periapts. He sells veteran's periapts and banker's post game too. He's too valuable an npc. He's always innocent in my game. People just want to frame good old Fournival :p

If anyone ever finds themselves sitting on an unpurified Master's Ring with:
Petrification resistance >= 64
Skill Stifling resistance >= 76

Look me up, hook me up, and I will make it rain on your pawn.

Lorcain

I purified Devilsbane (tier 3 sword) for my pawn last night, dragonforged it, and now her attack is 3000 something. I'm jealous.

I have Blackwing (MA bow tier 3) and Darkening Storm (shortbow tier 3), and an assortment of tier 2 melee weapons. But I'm still around 2000-2400. As much as I like using swords (Cursed Light is a great tier 2 sword with holy enchant), I miss brain splitter, double jump, and dodge roll too much.

emag

If anyone ever finds themselves sitting on an unpurified Master's Ring with:
Petrification resistance >= 64
Skill Stifling resistance >= 76

Look me up, hook me up, and I will make it rain on your pawn.

BBI items can't be traded once purified. When still cursed, they can be gifted but they reset to the recipients' world (and so will not purify to the same item they did in the sender's world).

I might have misunderstood your post, though.

BBI items can't be traded once purified. When still cursed, they can be gifted but they reset to the recipients' world (and so will not purify to the same item they did in the sender's world).

I might have misunderstood your post, though.

Oh crap, I thought the seed would replicate. Checks wiki.

◾This makes a total possible outcomes of 77,196 different Master Rings.

Oh goody.

Unai

Sounds like that's the right order for what you want!

Left D-Pad command in battle pushes Utilitarian inclinations a bit. I try to use it once or twice every now and again to keep Scather from taking over on my Strider.

Thanks!

I'm fighting the offline Ur Dragon right now. He flew away so I went to the inn to get more curatives and then I came back. This time he killed me. Now I see why a MA would be very good against him and his weak points that sometimes I, as a Ranger, miss. Looking forward to continue the fight later on.

bati

What's better for general MK setup, assuming Abyssal Anguish and same level of upgrade - Dragon's Toll or Ascalon? The reason I ask is because I read on the wiki that weapons with split stats have to go through both types of defenses. I like to melee and shoot cannonballs about equally so I'm not sure what would be better in this case.

edit: Also, do dragon's tears do anything in BBI or is their effect limited to Everfall?

edit2: Does Ascalon's permanent holy enchant actually work with Great Cannon? I've found several conflicting reports on this and now I'm a little confused. Some people are saying it does work but it doesn't change the looks. I wish this game would show damage numbers or have a combat log, that way it would be easy to tell.

emag

Thanks for the tips. I just started playing and I'm a level 18 Strider and didn't even realize I could change vocations. At what point do I swap out my Strider? I like the fast damage classes and was thinking about going either Assassin or Magic Archer next but I don't want to be too weak and get crushed by bosses.

Swapping out classes doesn't make you weaker, especially not by going Strider->Assassin. There are a couple of Strider-specific skills that you'll lose access to (Ensare, Skull Splitter), but you can use the same equipment (daggers, shortbow) and most of the same Strider dagger/bow skills, plus the new Assassin ones (Magick Archer uses an entirely different set of bow skills and a different type of bow, but retains most of the Strider dagger skills). Your base stats don't change when changing class (though stat growth does).

Switching from a Dagger/Bow (Yellow) class to a Staff (Blue) class (Sorcerer, Mage) might make things difficult for a short time, but you'll quickly gain access to useful spells. Same deal with switching to a Sword+Board or Two-handed Sword (Red) class. Magick Archer (for Staff) and Assassin (for Sword+Board) can ease the transition, though.

What's better for general MK setup, assuming Abyssal Anguish and same level of upgrade - Dragon's Toll or Ascalon? The reason I ask is because I read on the wiki that weapons with split stats have to go through both types of defenses. I like to melee and shoot cannonballs about equally so I'm not sure what would be better in this case.

edit: Also, do dragon's tears do anything in BBI or is their effect limited to Everfall?

edit2: Does Ascalon's permanent holy enchant actually work with Great Cannon? I've found several conflicting reports on this and now I'm a little confused. Some people are saying it does work but it doesn't change the looks. I wish this game would show damage numbers or have a combat log, that way it would be easy to tell.

- Hmm, I'd just try them both out for a bit and on the same enemies, to see what they do and how you like them. I preferred the Totem Mace to Ascalon, myself.

- Dragon tears don't do anything outside of the Everfall.

- I would think it would carry over but I'm not sure. Maybe try the Great Cannon with Eden's Warden and see if anything catches fire? If that works, then Ascalon's Holyness should carry over as well.

draetenth

Well that was weird, I went to the Chamber of Absence and as soon as I entered it, I fell through the floor... I had to use the ferrystone to leave as I was just falling. First time I encountered anything wrong with the game.

I'm using both, currently. My Ascalon is one level of enhancement below the Toll, but it hits harder against physically defensive but magically weak enemies, and is super useful against the Ur-Dragon and BBI enemies.

If it resists magick or holy, it gets the mace.

Top Bottom