• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

Cyrano

I like BBI, but let's not go crazy now, BBI has repeating layouts as well and the short cuts aren't clever or actually connected in the world at all. You're consistently going down for 10 minutes, then up half a staircase and through a door and suddenly you're supposed to come out above the starting point? I don't believe the 3D model of BBI is logically connected at all, the doors are basically just warps back to the starting point (which isn't terrible, just regular dungeon crawler design, but don't prop it up next to Dark Souls).

That said, it's still a really fun dungeon just because of the frequency of the big monster encounters, which are arguably the most fun part of the game.

It's better and more varied than the garbage level design of the Everfall at least. While it makes an awesome first impression with its appearance and the freefalling... having literally only 3 different rooms stretched out to 16 floors in various configuration is an amount of repetition not even seen in Dragon Age 2.
In-game elevators aren't clever but then, the "logical" layout of Dark Souls isn't terribly logical either. None of the designs in any of the Souls series are logical nearly so much as specifically constructed around encounters. It's interesting architecturally and designed to create combat encounters by tying architecture and enemies together. BBI does that too, and every bit as well as Dark Souls. Much as Dark Souls is a fantastic game, giving it more credit than it deserves is also far too common.

draetenth

Fuck the Chamber of Remorse in The Everfall. I was fighting the Golem on the bridge when he knocked me off... right to the waiting Cyclops below. Before I could recover the Cyclops swung and knocked me across the room into a pack of Grimgoblins... who then gathered around me and kept stomping on me while I was on the ground. Thank Goodness I was level 90 with lots of healing items or the weaklings would have killed me. >.>

I've been to every room now and the Chimera, Gorechimera, Lich fight in the Chamber of Fate is by far the hardest. Especially because the Lich summons hellhounds. Everything moves so fast that it's hard to target one foe to get rid of it.

I've been using the Blessed Flower (have a couple of copies) to help level up. I think I went from 75 - 92 yesterday in two hours or so. I think I'm going to hit level 100 and then finish the game. I will enter NG+ and then do BBI.

My goal is to make this the first Steam game that I get all achievements for because I love it so much.

Sanctuary

So here's the thing: almost every chest in Everfall can drop something good. The rates are atrocious though. It's one of the reasons people kinda skip Everfall and just go butt heads with BBI, where loot comes in at a decent pace despite the harsh conditions.

For what the chests contain, the time investment isn't that bad. It can take anywhere between 10s to 20 minutes of stabbing yourself to get what you want, but it can be worth it depending on what you already have. I personally always go after at least one Dragonblood ring and a Dragonroar. After that, it just depends, but I don't go after every slot for both characters or anything crazy like that anymore (did before DA was released though). For a completely blind playthrough? Totally not worth it, but I think it is if you're using maps that show what a chest can spawn. I also don't know how they came up with the percentages, but they are way off. Nothing in there has a 2% - 4% chance to spawn. That's just crazy, and not right at all.

Also, Ur-Dragon weapons will last you a long while. At least Ascalon and Heaven's Key anyway, and the dragon can be used to farm levels and a ton of gold easily enough.

Side note: got my first Angel's Fist and Dwells-In-Light today.

Golnei

It's better and more varied than the garbage level design of the Everfall at least. While it makes an awesome first impression with its appearance and the freefalling... having literally only 3 different rooms stretched out to 16 floors in various configuration is an amount of repetition not even seen in Dragon Age 2.

Aside from the initial novelty of falling through the main chamber, I can't help but think it might have been a better idea to drop the pretense of the Everfall being a dungeon altogether, and just have it be a Bloody Palace-esque linear sequence of arena battles.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Was loving the game until the final boss battle. I keep dying and I think I'm going to quit, and this wouldn't be like me. I always see a game through till the end but in this case I just keep getting one shot killed. Hoping someone here has some tips before I throw in the towel?

I dont want to quit because I was really looking forward to BBI.

If you're reading this you really need to come back to this thread and tell people what's up. We need to know your level/class and what particular boss you're fighting because this game has false endings. Everything in this game that could be construed as a "final boss" prior to BBI is designed as a set piece/staged fight that is quite hard to fail at. I would assume if you're having a specific problem you're just not "getting" a part of the fight yet.

draetenth

Neat, I killed the offline Ur-Dragon again and jumped from level 92 - 96, plus I got the Heaven's key daggers for my Assassin (too bad a pawn keeps putting ice enchantments on it when fighting the undead -_-*).

JudgeN

Point of no returns are fucking stupid, auto saving after a completed quest is fucking stupid.

Messed around in the everfall and kill Ur-Dragon offline got the weapon i didn't fucking want. So I turned in the 20 wake stones now I can't use the everfall anymore unless I want to start all over again. Fuck this shit guess i'm go to bitterblack isle because the game just fucked me over.

draetenth

Point of no returns are fucking stupid, auto saving after a completed quest is fucking stupid.

Messed around in the everfall and kill Ur-Dragon offline got the weapon i didn't fucking want. So I turned in the 20 wake stones now I can't use the everfall anymore unless I want to start all over again. Fuck this shit guess i'm go to bitterblack isle because the game just fucked me over.

Eh, not really that big of a deal (though I do agree to a degree). Anything you can get from Everfall, you can get from BBI (and better).

If you really want the Everfall, it doesn't take that long to blow through the main quests once you know what to do (have you been finding and placing the portcrystals so you can teleport to all of the important areas?).

Though didn't the game make it clear that you were at the point of no return? I've played the game before so I knew it was coming, but I thought they really implied that it was the end? It's been awhile though so I could be mistaken.

Baalzebup

The game is pretty fucking clear about it being a point of no return, when you turn in the 20 wakestones. It even asks if you're really absolutely sure about it and tells you that there is no turning back once you give them away.

If you somehow managed to miss that..... eh, blame yourself, or blame God, but don't go blaming the game cuz you had plenty of warnings.

Sanctuary

What is the deal with the drakes in The Forgotten City? They seem bugged as shit. They keep flying up to the top of the screen, then disappearing, and I am targeted with a spell every 3s, no matter where I am. The only visible drakes/dragons are all the way on the complete opposite side of the map too, and usually just sitting there, not animating like they are active in combat.

Cyrano

What is the deal with the drakes in The Forgotten City? They seem bugged as shit. They keep flying up to the top of the screen, then disappearing, and I am targeted with a spell every 3s, no matter where I am. The only visible drakes/dragons are all the way on the complete opposite side of the map too, and usually just sitting there, not animating like they are active in combat.
Is your articulacy augment modded? If so, that's probably it.

I think this happens when the game decides the wyvern can't reach you for some reason, but it doesn't lose aggro, so instead it peaces out and starts chaincasting untill you come close to it.

Sanctuary

Is your articulacy augment modded? If so, that's probably it.

I'm not using any mods with this game.

I think this happens when the game decides the wyvern can't reach you for some reason, but it doesn't lose aggro, so instead it peaces out and starts chaincasting untill you come close to it.

Whatever the cause, this area has become a 100% complete waste of time. I can't actually do anything to the Eliminators (trying to slowly kill them with nothing but charged bolts takes forever since all three of my Strider pawns don't want to shoot at them, but instead run back and forth getting knocked down). I end up killing 1-2 drakes, and then literally no others are on screen for me to kill, but I am being blasted by Torpor and Lightning non stop anyway. The Torpor isn't too bad since I have a 90% resist chance, but the game never fails to "cheat" and only cast lightning any time I try to cast a big spell. Otherwise it's nothing but Torpor, Torpor, Torpor.

Cyrano

I'm not using any mods with this game.

Whatever the cause, this area has become a 100% complete waste of time. I can't actually do anything to the Eliminators (trying to slowly kill them with nothing but charged bolts takes forever since all three of my Strider pawns don't want to shoot at them, but instead run back and forth getting knocked down). I end up killing 1-2 drakes, and then literally no others are on screen for me to kill, but I am being blasted by Torpor and Lightning non stop anyway. The Torpor isn't too bad since I have a 90% resist chance, but the game never fails to "cheat" and only cast lightning any time I try to cast a big spell. Otherwise it's nothing but Torpor, Torpor, Torpor.
That is very weird. Dunno if wbacon has the ability to bugfix but maybe reporting might help.

Oh there are 100 of those emblem quests. That is not happening.

I need to find a suitable male rental pawn to dress in women's garb. This is not a task taken lightly.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I like BBI, but let's not go crazy now, BBI has repeating layouts as well and the short cuts aren't clever or actually connected in the world at all. You're consistently going down for 10 minutes, then up half a staircase and through a door and suddenly you're supposed to come out above the starting point? I don't believe the 3D model of BBI is logically connected at all, the doors are basically just warps back to the starting point (which isn't terrible, just regular dungeon crawler design, but don't prop it up next to Dark Souls).

That said, it's still a really fun dungeon just because of the frequency of the big monster encounters, which are arguably the most fun part of the game.

Yeah I agree with this. At first I thought BBI was almost Souls-like good. Then the repeating assets became noticeable and that was somewhat disappointing, but overall it's still very very good and there's enough variety in encounters and architecture/layout for the repetition to not be a huge problem. Still not quite Souls-like level design, but solid enough.

Oh please. First the game warns you quite explicitly. Second, the OT mentions this in the FAQ. And third, you didn't miss much because the Everfall is kind of crap and you can go to BBI straight at the beginning anyway. So no need to bitch!

Yeah that's weird. Usually for me is that they landed in the streets below and are invisible, but keep spamming those spells. I would always look up and see no drakes, then suddenly one lept up from between buildings as I panned the camera around and I was all "oh there it is".

Not sure if that's what's happening to you but there it was. Nowadays I tend to just run past them all though. One time I did kill everything, had a magick archer that just ricochet bolted/ninefold bolted everything. It was funny.

Oh there are 100 of those emblem quests. That is not happening.
The From A Different Sky ones? Yeah I said "fuck that" pretty early as well. It's just to farm RC anyway. I guess it's there to gain RC when playing offline?
I need to find a suitable male rental pawn to dress in women's garb. This is not a task taken lightly.
lol, just hire female pawns for this quest? Unless you want the achievement. Then feel free to use mine, he has beautiful long red hair and will look fabulous in a dress I'm sure. :D Level 200 ranger, Servilius.

Luigiv

You can play as a lone wolf if you like. There is even a bonus augment that increases your damage if you play alone.

Regarding dodge roll, Strider class starts off with it, and it's variations can use the rolls as well.

But only when using daggers (or unarmed for some reason), since it's classified as a dagger skill. So If you're an assassin and you're using a sword or magic archer using a staff, you lose the ability to dodge. Same goes for double jumping.

Also you don't actually start with it, you need to unlock it as a core skill.

Mastperf

I'm glad PC gamers are getting to discover how awesome Dragon's Dogma is. Unfortunately, with the joy of it comes the pain of knowing that we might not get another one. Many of us have been waiting years.

Many thanks to Cylus and Irval, both of whom have helped me down the offline Ur-Dragon a couple of times. Very good pawns!

Also got Ascalon the same run I got my Dragon's Toll dragonforged. Go figure.

Do I go for 1227 strength and 285 magick, or 881 strength and 778 magic with Ascalon at lvl 3 enchantment? MK, btw.

Would anyone be kind enough to use my new pawn so I can afford to hit the character creator again?

I used the full manly stature and now it looks like my main can touch the back of his knees if he lets his arms hang.

Soodanim

I am shocked. Shocked, I tell you. From all of my time on PS3 and now PC, I never knew that Deathly Arrow is meant to be shot as it flashes. This changes everything. Reaper's arrow with a Revenant Wail is monstrous, and the slowdown makes it feel even better.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I know it's been said before, but man, classes are so unbalanced. I went in the Black Abbey with Fiend-Luring Incense. My party was warrior (Arisen), strider (main pawn), mage (pawn 1) and warrior (pawn 2).

I saw 7 (!!) Living Armours and 2 liches.

NOPE.GIF

Returned there with a Magick Archer and it was, of course 100% trivial. Haha. Geez, Capcom. I would only ever do that encounter with a Magick Archer, Mystic Knight or maybe a Sorcerer but even that one might be painful.

Sectus

A warning to anyone with a mage in your party, make sure they're not using Inflection as augment. The augment is supposed to halve all damage taken while casting spells, but due to a bug it'll instead triple the damage.

Soodanim

I know it's been said before, but man, classes are so unbalanced. I went in the Black Abbey with Fiend-Luring Incense. My party was warrior (Arisen), strider (main pawn), mage (pawn 1) and warrior (pawn 2).

I saw 7 (!!) Living Armours and 2 liches.

NOPE.GIF

Returned there with a Magick Archer and it was, of course 100% trivial. Haha. Geez, Capcom. I would only ever do that encounter with a Magick Archer, Mystic Knight or maybe a Sorcerer but even that one might be painful.
I don't even like going into BBI's lower depths without being MA. Standard yellows and reds can't touch half of Living Armours, and as MK you need the fight buffs for half of enemies to not be damage sponges.

I did quite enjoy jumping over to Sorceror for a minute to take on a Wyrm forna quest, so despite what's been said I might give it a go in BBI, just picking my battles. Warrior is so outclassed in BBI, I got about 4 or 5 rooms in before giving up. Far too slow, and the damage you do from big hits isn't really much better than what you can do with other classes in that time.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
It has been 3 days since I made my pawn a man and he has not been rented ONE time.

I think I should probably give him a shirt. Bunch of god damned homophobes on Steam.

ExoSoul

Banned
It has been 3 days since I made my pawn a man and he has not been rented ONE time.

I think I should probably give him a shirt. Bunch of god damned homophobes on Steam.

Same problem that male pawns had on consoles: default voice in the rift.
It's not that we dislike them or have anything against them, we've just had our fill of 2m tall behemoths that sip on helium 24/7.

We'll still give you a shot but you gotta be worth it.

Fake Edit:
Expect the rent rate to go down as popular new releases come by

Lanrutcon

You're looking at this all wrong. He's not getting hired because his rampant sexuality is so distracting.

It's hard fighting evil when there's a sexual Tyrannosaurus next to you.

Alexm92

What boss battle? What's hitting you? What level are you etc.?

Dooon't rage quit.

The endboss is fought in stages:
1. Run away!
2. Expose and hit his heart in his chest. Use a bow and some blast arrows if you're having issues. Hide behind the rubble to avoid getting burnt alive.
3. Run like the wind till you reach the section with the ballistae. Shoot the dragon once.
4. QTE event.
5. Start the proper fight with the dragon.

The final stage tactics:

Consider this training for fighting all the badass shit you'll be facing later. Either you use ranged attacks to hit his heart till he dies, or you climb on his heart and beat the shit out of it. If your character cannot do either of those, then switch vocations. The heart is weak to Dark attacks/enchants. use periapts to boost your damage (Demon for magic, Conquerer for strength. They stack 4 times each).

Alternative: a single Finger of the Maker to the heart kills him, at any stage.

He said before BBI. There's only one endboss before BBI. It's identified as the endboss, openly, at the very start of the game. The entire storyline revolves around fighting the freaking Dragon.

Seneschal, altough he shouldn't be dying to either.

Main story boss fight help:
Veu1JFQ.gif

If you're talking about the fight against the main story red dragon (Grigori), if you search youtube you'll find some really good walkthroughs of that fight.

If you're reading this you really need to come back to this thread and tell people what's up. We need to know your level/class and what particular boss you're fighting because this game has false endings. Everything in this game that could be construed as a "final boss" prior to BBI is designed as a set piece/staged fight that is quite hard to fail at. I would assume if you're having a specific problem you're just not "getting" a part of the fight yet.

Thanks guys. Only seen these reply's now. I'm a level 60 mystic knight so I have no bow. I'm at the final part of the fight after
the part where you climb on the dragons back to hit his heart.
. I would like to go back and change vocation but I'm not sure I can since it autosaved just before a cut scene. Any ways to go back or am I screwed? I'm going to try again today when I'm home from college

Ferr986

Thanks guys. Only seen these reply's now. I'm a level 60 mystic knight so I have no bow. I'm at the final part of the fight after
. I would like to go back and change vocation but I'm not sure I can since it autosaved just before a cut scene. Any ways to go back or am I screwed? I'm going to try again today when I'm home from college

Did you try reload from the last control point on the save/load menu? should bring you to the last time you rested at the inn or entered a rift stone.

Alexm92

Did you try reload from the last control point on the save/load menu? should bring you to the last time you rested at the inn or entered a rift stone.

No how do I do that? Only option in the main menu is load game and new game. That would be really helpful if I could do that

jahasaja

Where do people speak about how awesome this game is? The OT is just full of spoilers.. :(

This game does open world right! It is acctually fun to traverse the land because of the amazing combat system and the way the enemy encounters are set up.

I was riding around on a stiff hourse in witcher 3 following a dotted line. When I reached my destination I turned on witcher sense to follow fotsteps. Then I turned of the game and bought DD I am not sure I can ever go back..

EUA

Where do people speak about how awesome this game is? The OT is just full of spoilers.. :(

This game does open world right! It is acctually fun to traverse the land because of the amazing combat system and the way the enemy encounters are set up.

really? you must enjoy fighting filler.

the open world is just fields and mountains stuffed with hordes of wolves, goblins, harpies and bandits. yes, there are occasional cyclops, ogres and chimeras, but later in the game getting constantly ambushed by them becomes just as repetitive.

I also have my doubts about the combat, but i'll keep them to myself.

as someone here said, it's probably the best 6 out of 10 game ever made. a good game overall.

jahasaja

really? you must enjoy fighting filler.

the open world is just fields and mountains stuffed with hordes of wolves, goblins, harpies and bandits. yes, there are occasional cyclops, ogres and chimeras, but later in the game getting constantly ambushed by them becomes just as repetitive.

I also have my doubts about the combat, but i'll keep them to myself.

as someone here said, it's probably the best 6 out of 10 game ever made. a good game overall.

I love fighting everything except the harpies.

How can gameplay this smooth be a 6 out of 10? I do not understand.

LiQuid!

Do you have Great Cannon + Ruinous Sigil? MK is fine for that fight.

jahasaja

it's not that smooth for me, but of course it's just my opinion.

Yeah obviously it is just preference. I just find it to be a perfect mix were you feel like you are in full control but you can still do awesome stuff. It is a nice contrast to batman style combat were you just press the same button and awesome stuff happens on the screen.

cheezcake

The last two quests have totally tanked my opinion of this game.

I had to fight golems in both quests, which is incredibly easy but so damn boring because it takes forever. There was bunch of extremely boring, badly written and badly acted dialogue. Both quests highlighted the bad world traversal mechanics in the game.

There's only so much good combat can make up for.

jahasaja

The last two quests have totally tanked my opinion of this game.

I had to fight golems in both quests, which is incredibly easy but so damn boring because it takes forever. There was bunch of extremely boring, badly written and badly acted dialogue. Both quests highlighted the bad world traversal mechanics in the game.

There's only so much good combat can make up for.

I agree that the HP of some of the monsters are too high. I though I was just doing it wrong since it takes forever.

Hard from scratch is a good time. Fought the golem on the way to bluemoon tower maybe 6 or 7 times because I kept getting to the last relic and then I'd get one shot from full health.

Sword and board assassin is a pretty nice change of pace. I did equip a bow for that golem fight but other than that it's been pretty sweet. Don't use the shield all that much though outside of Showdown. They can only one shot me once!

Top Bottom