• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

So how many Gorecyclops are there in BBI? I mean, I've heard people talk about running into it but I was able to handle it pretty easily when I came across the room with it chained up, although it took 5-6 minutes to bring down.

Styles

I love the Immortal's set, tbh. Currently playing my MK without a shield, because the atrocious clipping has become too distracting for me. :(

I love the Immortal's set, tbh. Currently playing my MK without a shield, because the atrocious clipping has become too distracting for me. :(

Just completed the set just now for my Warrior. Goes well with the BBI Level 3 Weapon I also purified earlier today.

71awthf.jpg

eVb0Kaq.jpg

I've got a weird problem that only just started a day or two ago.

Every time I load up the game while the Online option is selected in the options, it begins to load up, saying that it's accessing servers like normal. But it never loads past that point. The only way I managed to get past it is to go into the options and go offline first, then load up the game like normal, then once ingame selecting online again if needed. I've got to figure out why it won't load up unless I'm offline.

Exentryk

Decided to go into BBI at level 64. Using a Magic Archer, with a Warrior main pawn, and a Strider and a Ranger. Pretty easy so far.

Then entered a room with a Chained Cyclops, and casually strolled past it. But it didn't feel right so I went back and fought it. The mages at the top got annoying so took them out first. Then I noticed that I was too high for the Cyclops to reach, but i could easily target it with 6 fold flurry. Totally cheesed the kill and got a 3rd tier gear from the chest above. Really fun!

Do enemies in BBI respawn if I exited and re-entered?

draetenth

Do enemies in BBI respawn if I exited and re-entered?

Only a couple of rooms work like that. I know Rotunda of Dread accessed from Duskmoon Tower has enemies that respawn if you just leave and reenter it. I believe the Black Abbey is another one. Everywhere else works the same as in Gransys - you must rest for some time to respawn things.

Exentryk

Only a couple of rooms work like that. I know Rotunda of Dread accessed from Duskmoon Tower has enemies that respawn if you just leave and reenter it. I believe the Black Abbey is another one. Everywhere else works the same as in Gransys - you must rest for some time to respawn things.

Thanks.

The game can be really atmospheric at times.

1454937000-dd-bbi-gif-1.gif

1454937179-dd-bbi-gif-2.gif

1454937571-dd-bbi-gif-3.gif

ParityBit

Is there any specific way to train your pawn in the pawn chair? I sat down by mistake and now I need to train her. I want to make sure people would still use her, so I do not want to screw up the training too bad ...

Golnei

No, they still function normally. You can see me climb on the dragon in one part of the video even though it's tiny.

It was a little hard to tell in the video, but how does the detection for the heart scale down - it kind of looked like it stayed the same size, and became basically impossible to miss. Would making a Golem five times its regular size affect the detection of its weak points in the opposite way, or do I have the wrong idea completely?

Sectus

It was a little hard to tell in the video, but how does the detection for the heart scale down - it kind of looked like it stayed the same size, and became basically impossible to miss. Would making a Golem five times its regular size affect the detection of its weak points in the opposite way, or do I have the wrong idea completely?

It felt easier to hit the weak spot when recording the video. And I suspect a big reason why it was so easy to kill is because the spells hit it more times that they're supposed to. The hit detection probably works in the way that if the collision meshes for the weapon (which is huge compared to the weak spot) and weak spot overlap at all, it counts as a hit.

all this level 3 bitterblack gear and I've got 250 rift crystals lol

a bunch of them i wanna get rid of since they rolled repeats. if anyone would be kind enough to hire my pawn I can gift back a weapon or armour or whatever

similarly if anyone needs some RC I can take their pawn for a spin

Lorcain

Looks like that DLC circlet.

The traitor's armour is so hideous :( I think I'd stick with either the Abyssal Coat (w/ patterned gambeson, looks nice) or even something like the Griffin armour for a red vocation, I hate it that much.
I like the sin armor set on my fighter pawn, except for that nightmarish helm. That will never go on my pawn...ever. The BBI armor has great debilitation resists. It's too bad that the higher level 3 armor is just a re-skin. I'll eventually switch my fighter pawn over to the hellfire set with the black and red, minus the terrible helm.

I like the sin armor set on my fighter pawn, except for that nightmarish helm. That will never go on my pawn...ever. The BBI armor has great debilitation resists. It's too bad that the higher level 3 armor is just a re-skin. I'll eventually switch my fighter pawn over to the hellfire set with the black and red, minus the terrible helm.

Only debilitation resist you need are found on plenty of other gear though, my pawn was walking around in mostly everfall gear and she still had 100% skill stifling/petrify/possession/curse.

Newboi

I'm at level 62 and have been an Assassin for the most part. I've currently been maxing out the various vocations via having my pawns fight the soldiers at Gran Soren castle post-game.

I'm thinking about running as a Sorcerer for about 20 levels then switching back to Assassin. I reason why I'm thinking of doing this is because I'm thinking that this would raise my magic stats enough to switch viably between an Assassin, Sorcerer, or Mystic Knight. Can this be viable? Would I need to augment my strategy at all?

Lastly, what are you guys' opinions on having a Ranger as a Pawn? I've been having my main pawn rollling as a Strider for all of her 62 levels so far. I had her vocation changed to Ranger to try that out? Do you guys see Strider/Ranger Pawns worthwhile, or should I switch my main pawn to a Fighter, or Warrior?

Edit: Just FYI, I usually just rent Mage and Sorcerer Pawns. Also, I go by Newboi on DD and my Pawn's name is Shiira if you guys would ever like to rent her. I would be nice to have her have BBI knowledge ahead of time!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Rate my pawn (top is mage, bottom is sorcerer):
Am I doing it right Fashion's Dogma?
No pants, 1/10

a bunch of them i wanna get rid of since they rolled repeats. if anyone would be kind enough to hire my pawn I can gift back a weapon or armour or whatever

Awww. I did try to take your pawn for a spin the other day but I don't know how much RC that yielded. I can hire your pawn for a bit later today.

Don't really need anything, unless you got like, a spare Ironblack pelt to gold-forge my Arisen's gambeson (too lazy to farm and/or dupe at the Black Cat xD).

someone sent my pawn back with a wyrmking's ring

it's a shame i already did the forgery shenanigans

who are you so i cna send it back?

That might have been me, but keep it anyway. After I gave it away, I just bought a new one from the Black Cat for something like 60k gold, so it's no big deal (I knew this before giving the ring away).

Ascheroth

Okay so after a good 55 hours I just finished the main quest and dediced to check out the Everfall first things first.

Holy shit.
Holy shiiiiiit.

I already loved this game and it just got approximately 527% more awesome.
That Evil Eye *_*
What kind of insane genius came up with that design. It's eyehole doubles as a mouth. It has teeth in its eyehole. Teeth. In. It's. Eyehole!
This is amazing. It's brilliant.
Looking forward to whatever else it has in store for me.
I also haven't checked out Bitterblack Isle yet.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Okay so after a good 55 hours I just finished the main quest and dediced to check out the Everfall first things first.

Holy shit.
Holy shiiiiiit.

That Evil Eye *_*
What kind of insane genius came up with that design. It's eyehole doubles as a mouth. It has teeth in its eyehole. Teeth. In. It's. Eyehole![
Um...

https://dnd.wizards.com/dungeons-and-dragons/what-is-dnd/monsters/monsters-beholder

Exentryk

Okay, so that looks great. What ENB are you using (if any)?

I still haven't settled on one, found most of them a bit too drab or too bright during the day.

I'm using Rudy ENB, with the Noise filter and Depth of Field turned off.

Holy shit.
Holy shiiiiiit.

That Evil Eye *_*
What kind of insane genius came up with that design. It's eyehole doubles as a mouth. It has teeth in its eyehole. Teeth. In. It's. Eyehole!
Looking forward to whatever else it has in store for me.
I also haven't checked out Bitterblack Isle yet.

Hah yeah! That was a pretty great fight. Esp if you went straight to it after
Grigori
. The jump in difficulty, trying to figure out the fight gimmick, the sense of unknown... it all adds up quite satisfyingly.
And then you get destroyed in a room with a
GoreChimera, Chimera and a Wight
, lol.

draetenth

Does Silence actually work correctly on enemies? I've inflicted in on numerous types of casters (goblin shaman, chimera, wyrms), but they still seem to cast every spell they know without issues. I know some moves aren't considered spells (like the moves the lion head of the chimera performs), but the goat head of the chimera was still casting it's levin/sopor/frigor spells even though it was clearly under the influence of silence.

Is there any specific way to train your pawn in the pawn chair? I sat down by mistake and now I need to train her. I want to make sure people would still use her, so I do not want to screw up the training too bad ...

I think you are talking about inclinations... You can buy potions from the guy at the Encampment next to the riftstone.

Reizo Ryuu wrote a bit about what their preferred inclinations were and about the proper order to give the potions earlier in the thread. Here's a link to it.

I'll take out your pawn tonight. Either armor or gear is fine.

Review invalidated. DD has some of the best combat compared to many open world RPGs to date, that includes any of the Witcher games.

Pre-Rec reviews Dragon's Dogma

Haven't finished watching, but they've already called the setting generic (true) and the combat not very good (not so true). Sounds more like early game impressions than a comprehensive review, to be honest.

i can see why they would come to that conclusion. the game is a slow burner mechanically, where the first 20-30 levels are kinda rough.

don't get me wrong the game plays good, but it doesn't start to sink in until you are at least halfway into your second vocation and you have enough skill points to buy substantial skills. unfortunately as is the case with game reviews, most don't have time or will to trek through a game that relies on the experience coming from more dedication of hunting/farming/improving gear like this to give a proper review it deserves.

I must have cheesed BBI hard, got through first clear and daimon took like an hour to kill for my 91 Magick Archer, his attacks were easily avoidable.

I did not know that changes everything in BBI because I ran into a living armor in a small hallway near the beginning before hitting the neutral room. I wanted to go back and do those rooms where they were locked and needed gems so I run past it and there were 2 fucking drakes/dragon watever with the weakspot on it's chest and Lol'd, saved and quit and went to work. Been wondering if activating NG again will reset BBI? What I saw was crazy as fuck.

c0Zm1c

Pre-Rec reviews Dragon's Dogma

Haven't finished watching, but they've already called the setting generic (true) and the combat not very good (not so true). Sounds more like early game impressions than a comprehensive review, to be honest.

Weird review. Only got to about 10 minutes and that was enough though. The two guys sound high, laughing and giggling at nothing particularly funny while explaining stuff about the game. :\

I checked Brodrost's pawn and she has all locations known and her bestiary filled. How long did it take? I still got 2 stars on wolves lol. Filling out that bestiary is more time consuming than I thought.

Seyavesh

I mean I know it's a beholder.
I've just never seen a beholder whose
mouth is it's eyehole.

its actually a dying dragon's eye
the lips are actually eyelids, and the tiny tentacles optical nerves
the artbook reveals this and a bunch of other absolutely insane shit about the game world

Sectus

I don't know why, as I play this game on a 144hz G-Sync, but YouTube videos actually look smoother than what I'm playing. Maybe when I'm playing it for myself I'm focssing on something different. I'll have to record some footage and check.

I recorded those videos with the framerate locked at 60, but I usually play with an unlocked framerate with my 144hz g-sync monitor, and the game definitely feels a lot smoother like that. The only times I've noticed any kind of stutter or it being less smooth are areas where the framerate differs drastically based on the direction I look in (like just outside gran soren).

Ascheroth

its actually a dying dragon's eye
the lips are actually eyelids, and the tiny tentacles optical nerves
the artbook reveals this and a bunch of other absolutely insane shit about the game world

Holy hell.
I've not gone through the artbook yet, because I don't want to get spoiled before I actually saw everything ingame, but daaaaaaamn.
I absolutely love insane shit like that.

Top Bottom