• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

Lorcain

Once you know where you're going, and know what to expect, you can get through BBI pretty quickly. It's really not a big deal. I timed my run last night starting from the BBI camp, through the 2nd shortcut, and BBI final boss (true form) dead at 15 minutes. And I felt like I wasted a lot of time screwing around with my inventory. A better prepared player could have done that much faster.

I find Everfall much more tedious than BBI. At least you got that out of the way. On to NG+, get your pawn, and enjoy BBI.

What's the best inclination setup for a strider pawn?
Scather/Challenger, Challenger/Scather, Scather/Utilitarian, Challenger/Mitigator. It really depends on what you want your strider pawn to do. Scather for Skullsplitter and closer ranger for Downpour Volley since their bow attacks do more damage when they're closer.

Is there a recommended amount of potions I should feed my pawn? I give them 5/3 to get Challenger/Mitigator. First fight I got into and they climbed immediately. It's crazy because each tenfold is highly visible damage wise. Stupid pawn.

Also thanks for the hires Morrigan and InfCabbage (not sure who that is).

Are you at the point in the game where you can buy the neutralizing potion? Usually after using that the first inc. drink is primary, second drink will end up hidden, and third drink will be secondary.

Even without the neutralizing potion I find 2 drinks of the same gets to primary and 1 drink to secondary.

EDIT - You can see your hidden inc. by using the knowledge chair. And you can use the chair to switch secondary and hidden anytime.

ike_

Rabbit:"the wind is pushing meeeeeeeeee!"

Oh no, is that what the song was actually about? Well, either way that screenshot puts you 2.22% closer to completing the most distressing quest in the game.
ry4q0vG.jpg

Got my first BBI Weapon Level 2 from a Gorecyclops at the Midnight Helix (I summoned a Cursed Dragon with Rancid Meat to help kill it for me). The weapon purified into Dragon's Tempest which is perfect for my Magick Archer. Ricochet Hunter is going to wreck even more now >=)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Out of curiosity, I just launched DDDA on the PS3 to compare to what I've been playing.

Oh my. Oh my god. OH MY GOD MY EYES xD

How did I ever play this, lol. Framerate chugs even when nothing is happening (was just moving around normally in the BBI entrance), the blurry low res gave me a headache... haha. Yet it was fine at the time, because there was nothing else. Played for like 100 hours too. Now I cannot unsee how bad it looks.

Worse, menus are slow and sluggish too. Loading times at the starting title screen is super long. Yikes.

Yet, the "Accessing server" is far, far faster, just as I remembered. Even moving in the Rift is generally smooth and responsive, unlike the rest of the game. That legit baffles me. PSN > Steamworks confirmed? :p

Oh and apparently when I last redesigned my pawn I made him look kind of like... 80's Bruce Dickinson? lol. I'd have taken a screenshot but couldn't be arsed. He looks cool anyway.

draetenth

Is there a recommended amount of potions I should feed my pawn? I give them 5/3 to get Challenger/Mitigator. First fight I got into and they climbed immediately. It's crazy because each tenfold is highly visible damage wise. Stupid pawn.

Also thanks for the hires Morrigan and InfCabbage (not sure who that is).

What's the best inclination setup for a strider pawn?

this post contains two posts by Reizo on Inclinations and potions.

Are you at the point in the game where you can buy the neutralizing potion? Usually after using that the first inc. drink is primary, second drink will end up hidden, and third drink will be secondary.

Even without the neutralizing potion I find 2 drinks of the same gets to primary and 1 drink to secondary.

Never ever use the Neutralizing potion. It doesn't just reset their inclinations, but also anything that you "taught" your pawn. Pawns do pay attention to what you do. They can learn how to properly use skills (like Strider pawns with Helm/Skull/Brain Splitter or Focused Bolts for Sorcerer pawns) by watching you, but that stuff gets erased when you use the Neutralizing potion forcing you to "train" the pawns over again.

Besides like mentioned with the bolded, you can just give them enough potions anyway. I've had success giving them potions in this order 2 (tertiary) / 4 (secondary) / 6 (primary). I think the only time I had my pawn's inclinations change against my wishes when playing was when I was a mystic knight spamming great cannon. It kept changing my pawn from Challenger/Mitigator to Utilitarian/Challenger (iirc makes sense since using skills raises Ultilitarian).

Exentryk

Fought and killed
Grigori
last night. First, I kept using the great cannon but it wasn't hitting
the heart
that well as it kept moving. So, eventually had to climb which I don't do often, and
hit the heart
with the sword. Used Abyssal Anguish and it was eating the health bar. When it got knocked down, I used Full Moon Slash and it devoured the health bars in a few hits.

Was thinking it was going to be the
end of the game.
But seems like there is some more stuff now. Also, wow at
Gran Soren. Feels sad to see my favourite inn disappear in to the void :(

Anyway, got some nice Dragonforged gear at least :D

draetenth

There's lots of people raging on Steam about the lunar sale special. I don't get it. Why is it bad?

I think it's because:

1) The game isn't actually on sale.
2) The "bundle" is just the artbook and game.

If you had preordered the game a few weeks ago, it would have been cheaper (at least it was for me from GMG with a coupon), it contained the artbook, and it included the soundtrack (which this lunar bundle doesn't seem to have).

Fought and killed
Grigori
the heart
that well as it kept moving. So, eventually had to climb which I don't do often, and
hit the heart
with the sword. Used Abyssal Anguish and it was eating the health bar. When it got knocked down, I used Full Moon Slash and it devoured the health bars in a few hits.

end of the game.

Just did all this myself.. Except it took me like 45 minutes because i hadn't the skills equipped to do anything but occasionally clumsily climb and hit the heart. Was down to my very last healing item. Could have been a disaster.

Surprised now at what's happening after!

Anteater

and people who bought it on Steam would rage if it's actually on sale because it's only been a few weeks, can't win

best to just ignore steam community

Mastperf

Yeah, definitely a weakness with Mystic Knight. Very versatile class but not great for climbing. I have a hard time adjusting to Mystic Knight after playing Magic Archer due to the slower movement speed and lack of double jump/climbing attacks. It makes you more willing to try other classes though so it works out for the best.

I spent like an hour on GG trying to beat him with a sword but I kept getting one shot by everything. I said screw it and took my pawns daggers and got it first try. Couldn't grab his chest with just a normal jump. Actually getting on there changed the fight night and day. Really like using sword on my Assassin but the lack of the roll and double jump kill it. They don't get anything to compensate. You get deflect but that also needs a shield. Also Dire Gouge being mount only stinks when thousand kisses can be used on the ground as well.

Someone please mod roll and double jump for all vocations.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Fought and killed
Grigori
the heart
hit the heart

end of the game.

Welcome to the rest of Dragon's Dogma! Getting to the point you have as well as exploring BBI makes a lot of changes to the world that the game doesn't really guide you to. I'll just say there is a lot of stuff to discover if you revisit locations and dungeons.

Also the benefit of Gran Soren is now the run to make forgeries is shorter!

Yeah, definitely a weakness with Mystic Knight. Very versatile class but not great for climbing. I have a hard time adjusting to Mystic Knight after playing Magic Archer due to the slower movement speed and lack of double jump/climbing attacks. It makes you more willing to try other classes though so it works out for the best.

My path thru the vocations in this game has been kind of weird. When I started as a mage, I was LOVING it. I knew I was going to be a sorcerer and I knew I wasn't ever going to play any other class. Then I switched to Mystic Knight and I knew I'd been missing out on the "best" class, and that I'd never play any other class. Then I switched to ranger because I saw how fast you could shred Daimon with Tenfold Flurry, exploding arrows and periapts, and now I don't know why I ever bothered playing any other class.

I'm actually a little sad that I've nearly run out of things to do in the game because I'm sure I'd hop to another class like assassin or magick archer and have another epiphany. Definitely not fighter or warrior tho. I don't know how anybody can play those classes with their arisen. Not having any mobility ability is just too much to deal with.

Newboi

I'm currently a level 54 Assassin and am trying to fight the offline Ur Dragon. What skills should I equip and his should I approach the battle? I either get one shotted by his goal l flame, or he flies away because I took too long.

Should I level up more? If so, what's the best way to do that post game?

Lastly, does anyone know of a fast way to farm liquid vim?

I'm currently a level 54 Assassin and am trying to fight the offline Ur Dragon. What skills should I equip and his should I approach the battle? I either get one shotted by his goal l flame, or he flies away because I took too long.

Should I level up more? If so, what's the best way to do that post game?

Lastly, does anyone know of a fast way to farm liquid vim?

You definitely need to level up more and you'll need to buy tons of mushrooms to do UR dragon.

Best way is to use blast arrow, it splashes and hits so many parts of his weak spots.

Mastperf

You definitely need to level up more and you'll need to buy tons of mushrooms to do UR dragon.

Best way is to use blast arrow, it splashes and hits so many parts of his weak spots.
It's also best to take out the wings first with the blast arrows since they're the hardest parts to reach otherwise.

Lorcain

Regarding offline Ur Dragon, keep in mind that his health bar doesn't reset. You can keep going back into the Chamber of Lament as many times as needed to continue the fight after he flies away.

Rest assured knowing that you don't have to grind that fight to get good gear anymore. I did it more for the achievement this time around. The loot you will find in BBI will be better. I find the Ur Dragon fight to be one of the most tedious in the game, including everything in BBI. It's not necessarily hard, it's just really tedious trying to find and take out all of the hearts. Melee vocations have it the worst.

I would consider always having a maxed out ranged vocation that you can switch to for fights like this.

Miff

Also re: the UR Dragon, I found the rift stone shortcut in
Cassardis
the other night. Handy to have.

Arkanius

I leveled up from 20 to 30 as Mystic Archer and my damage is absolutely attrocious with the bow compared to the daggers.

I guess I'll keep as a Strider. I really hate the idea of having to level up as a Mage for X levels before I can play Mystic Archer.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I leveled up from 20 to 30 as Mystic Archer and my damage is absolutely attrocious with the bow compared to the daggers.

I guess I'll keep as a Strider. I really hate the idea of having to level up as a Mage for X levels before I can play Mystic Archer.

You don't have to do any of that. Magic Archer sucks prior to BBI, and the stat distribution from leveling really does not matter. You're good as long as you level each vocation at SOME point to pick up the good augments. If you want to do this painlessly while reading a book or whatever, just do it during the endgame, there's an exploit.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

I thought level up stats mattered but they don't. I played thru 100 levels as a mage/sorc and mostly MK (which has probably the worst stat distro in the game) and then switched to ranger and thought I was garbage, but it turns out I was just using a shit weapon. Getting and upgrading a good weapon is so much more important. That and periapts. Min/maxing your arisen stats is pointless and only crazy people do it.

weapon goes a LONG way in damage outpout.

i was also disillusioned with MA but i noticed that one of the reasons was the downtime b/w each arrow shot. compared to my strider who gets skullcrusher early in, of course its a big step down. but then again i found a scalding razors (fire dagger) early and that tears through enemies.

however, i trecked through MA and picked up some levels to access the skills. a lot of them are situational, but when they work. THEY WORK. I particularly am talking about BBI. ricochet works tremendously well inside corridors and closed rooms/areas. like brokenly so. 6 bolts also works well against regular and enemies with resistance to ice. I got far enough in BBI to farm some lvl 2 weapon items and got me an ok magic bow.

equipment goes a LONG way.

On another note, OMG IF SOMEONE COULD MAKE A MOD THAT TELLS YOU HOW LONG BEFORE THE NEXT VOCATION LEVEL UP THAT WOULD BE AMAZING!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I can only get friends to show up in the Rift. I only get others through searching or in the world.

Can you search pawns by name? I couldn't find the functionality.
Nah, but if you filter by level 200, male, strider, I'm sure he'd show up (Servilius). Or you can add me. http://steamcommunity.com/id/morriganstark/

Not that I truly care if you specifically hire him lol, but that'd be one way to find a pawn not on your friend list, assuming you know the level.

Unai

You don't have to do any of that. Magic Archer sucks prior to BBI, and the stat distribution from leveling really does not matter. You're good as long as you level each vocation at SOME point to pick up the good augments. If you want to do this painlessly while reading a book or whatever, just do it during the endgame, there's an exploit.

The MA sucks prior to BBI because of the loot you get there or because of the closed spaces? I finished the game as a Strider -> Ranger but I didn't finish BBI. Now Im'l playing New Game+ on hard to get the mage and sorcerer augments that boots magic so I can play as a Magic Archer. My sorcerer vocation is already at level 8. I'm wondering if I continue playing the game as a Sorcerer and change to Magic Archer only when I come back to BBI.

bati

You can't really utilize Ricochet Hunter to its full potential until you get to BBI, that's the main reason.

I have finally ditched the MK, the constant buffing finally got to me and I just couldn't take it anymore. Gonna play a sorc for a few levels and then switch to MA. Hopefully I'll find a Ninefold ring in the mean time :>.

Lorcain

I have finally ditched the MK, the constant buffing finally got to me and I just couldn't take it anymore. Gonna play a sorc for a few levels and then switch to MA. Hopefully I'll find a Ninefold ring in the mean time :>.
I completed the game on the PS3 playing mostly MK. The constant buffing and long cast times got to me too. It's a strong vocation, I just couldn't do it again on PC.

For people that are considering leveling up other vocations to min/max stats, it's not necessary. Take MA for example, I would level up Sorc just to get the faster cast time and magic damage boost augments and then go right back to playing MA. Level up other vocations to get augments and for fun, not to try and gain stats. Its the weapons and gear that really make a noticeable difference.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
For people that are considering leveling up other vocations to min/max stats, it's not necessary. Take MA for example, I would level up Sorc just to get the faster cast time and magic damage boost augments and then go right back to playing MA. Level up other vocations to get augments and for fun, not to try and gain stats. Its the weapons and gear that really make a noticeable difference.
Can't repeat this enough, people.

Beat the game as a MA, and then satisfied that I beat the game legit on PC at least once, and transfered my 360 save.

LVL 175 nearly maxed all vocations.

Now the real Dragons Dogma begins.

Fasty

So, finally started this and am I missing something?

I can't get the game to run at 60.

I ran DS2 at max settings just fine at a locked 60.

I put everything on the lowest possible setting and still it chugs on fullscreen.

Does this game run like ass? Anybody else have this issue?

Something is going wrong at your end. I'm playing it on a CRT using my old Core 2 Duo with a Radeon hd4860 runs the game smooth as butter on medium settings... with Rudy ENB!!

ike_

Being able to lurk in this thread and absorb all the info from the pros has been a lot of help.

Being able to hire some level infinity (200) pawns to help me take down the BBI level 2 boss at level 80 was also incredibly helpful.

Watching all my GAF pawns, immediately after hiring, run to the nearest open grave and fight eachother to rob it was a little weird.

ike_

i wonder how much RC rowena Ruby has attained

Hah, well actually I think I owe Rowena Ruby the most respect. I had some great video of this specific scavenger hunt, and the BBI level 2 boss fight, but nVidia ShadowPlay took a huge dump and lost all of it. Oh well.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Been running into Death a lot lately. He killed my pawns several times before reaching any boss. Made multiple trips back to the Rift Stone.

I purified some bb armor and got 4 Netherhelm, Grave Veil or Hood of Shadow in a row LOL!
Sold those 4 and made quite a profit. Still need a new chest and gloves. At least I got a new ring with the stats I want on it.

Yeah it's really not that necessary with Dark Arisen. In the base game the final tier of weaponry was significantly weaker so your base stats accounted for more of your total. For example if you go mage -> sorcerer from level 10 you'd wind up with a total of 866 magic at level 200. The very best dragonforged sorcerer staff (before silver and gold tiers) came with an innate 943 magic. So that's roughly 50/50, fairly worthwhile to spec as a caster from the outset.

Now though you've got crazy shit like the Sanguine Stalk (BBI level 3) that comes with 1730 magic gold forged. That's not far off the combined total you would have had pre Dark Arisen as a full fledged sorcerer! Pretty much you can grab one and start casting tornadoes and things will die. That goes for all vocations when it comes to the high tier of gear. They're that stupidly powerful. Pick up Vehemence + Clout or Attunement + Acuity and you're strong as hell already in a vocation you've barely used.

Eliminator + Elder Ogre + Corrupted Mages in a tight hallway in Bloodless Stockade was madness. Damn man, I'm glad I had Rusted Daggers to slow those two brutes down. Rusted Daggers + Bow makes a lot of the encounters in BBI easier.

Being able to lurk in this thread and absorb all the info from the pros has been a lot of help.

Being able to hire some level infinity (200) pawns to help me take down the BBI level 2 boss at level 80 was also incredibly helpful.

Watching all my GAF pawns, immediately after hiring, run to the nearest open grave and fight eachother to rob it was a little weird.

That's my girl! Loot that shit!

So I'm starting NG+ and in hard mode and wow does this game feel like an actual challenge now. You can get caught out of position and get wrecked really quickly. It makes the combat much more visceral and calculated as well, like a hybrid of Monster Hunter and Dark Souls. I'm also doing BBI for the first time and am amazed at how unique it is compared to everywhere else in Gransys.

Top Bottom