• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Grisby

Yeah, just jump down the pit. You'll eventually hit a point where you reset from the top. Grab on the highest platform and you can run up to the pawn guild. Giving the wakestones trigger NG+, so avoid that until you're ready.
Thanks Vamp, lads. I don't want the game to end yet.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I can't wait to play assassin, been doing fighter mostly and capped strider and now I'm on warrior, heard assassin is a mix of all the melee classes so it's going to be fun
3AQmK.gif

I've barely used a shield as having the bow is just so fuckin nice. 5fold + lyncean sight is so incredibly beast.. more so with premonition but after a while that attack dmg boost you get is so freakin amazing. There are so many ways to augment (lol) your playstyle for any fight or style... you just get so fuckin beastly. Playing as fighter now and it's nice to stomp around in heavier gear but losing some mobility and having to taunt down flying creatures is so frustrating. Can't wait to max the vocation and move on to warrior.. THAT looks like fun.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
neat. i though it was a strict outdoor skill up until now.

There are a few chambers where being by yourself without your pawns is not really a detriment as they tend to die frequently anyways (Ur-Dragon especially). A full assassin-boost augment setup along with gouge is a fantastic way to go about being a boss.

Just stomping around youtube looking for Ur-Dragon kills... and of course..one of our own pops up on the first page :) .. First i just saw Riza and was like ... "wait a tic"

Then Earv is the uploader. :) I want some of that gear soooo bad. Damn undead bastard...

Is there anyone willing to donate (gift) wpns/armor around lvl 40ish? for warrior? or strider? I've been playing very and I mean.. VEERRRYYYYYYY slowly where my story progression is very early still (I've just met the duke). I've been running around doing side quests and every now n then fighting drake when i can and there's no good equipment available.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Just tweaked my main pawn a bit and ended up getting a shitload of Rift Crystals. It's amazing how that works, huh?

fallingdove

i just passed the 90 hour mark - playing on ng++. i think i am done for a while until some meaningful DLC comes out. i have to agree with Ami - this is one of the best games i have played despite its weaknesses. i really grew to love the map design. after beating the game twice it felt like i really knew the world - it felt similarly to a metroidvania where you had explored the same area so many times that you got faster and faster at traversing it - introducing a nice familiar rhythm to the game.

i thought it was pretty cool in new game+ where
it seems as though the arisen god you fight was the last person that beat the game and synced with the server. very nice touch. i fought some guy's arisen/pawn from japan for that final boss battle. -
very cool.

Farming the chambers at Everfall now at NG+

Getting some of the 2% drops and they're awesome. It's so addicting trying to collect all of the rarities here.

Anteater

i thought it was pretty cool in new game+ where
it seems as though the arisen god you fight was the last person that beat the game and synced with the server. very nice touch. i fought some guy's arisen/pawn from japan for that final boss battle. -
very cool.

Makes me wonder if they keep his level too or just the appearance

... might make the second playthrough for some people really hard if
higher level arisens are being uploaded

maomaoIYP

Getting some of the 2% drops and they're awesome. It's so addicting trying to collect all of the rarities here.

I'm doing the same, but I'm quickly descending to the level of "run in, grab the chest, run out" boredom.

edit: It also feels like that you're more likely to get something that you've already gotten. I have 3 unfettered claws, 2 dragonscale arms, 2 royal cuirasses, etc.

Been doing this today on my first run still.

A couple times I've opened 3 or 4 chests in a row and got the exact loot I wanted on the first go; other times it's been 15min of save>open>crap>stab>reload until I get something new.

Farming chests also made me realize how much I hate pawns that open them all the time, especially when there are 3+ in the same area and I want to open them one at a time. Stupid pawns. I also hate pawns that crowd me all the time, "Move fucker! I'm trying to pick this shit up!"

I'm also having a bitch of a time getting Lordly Emblems, there's 2 Fell-Lords that spawn in the mountain cabin and the first time I fought them, they both dropped Emblems; now, 20+ Fell-Lords later and not one. Grrr.

Anyone know what the Drake/Wyrm/Wyvern tears do? The description says if I have them all I can affect what loot I get or something, I have one of each but haven't noticed any changes.

Anteater

wow explosives does a lot of damage, ogre was hanging out near 3 barrels and tossing 1 at it exploded them all and oneshotted him in the mine

Abylim

Ok, no Gold Idol. Could some friendly gaffer gift my a Veteran's Arc or something? I still havent found anything besides a reinforced long bow. Kinda sucky Ranger =\

Anyone want to trade some Everfall goodies?

Have:

Dragonroar (Head) - All Classes
Dragon Band (Head, Dragon Forged) - All Classes
Dragon Knight's Cloak (Dragon Forged) - All Classes
Steel Cuirass (Torso/Armor) - Fi/MK/War
Steel Sabatons (Legs/Armor) - Fi/MK/War
Noble Limbs (Longbow) - Ranger
Savage Fang (Longbow) - Ranger
Dragon's Rancor (Bow) - Strider/Assassin
Dragon's Vein (Daggers) - Strider/Assassin/MA/Ranger
Dragon's Risen (Archistaff) - Sorcerer
Bloody Thistle (Hammer) - Warrior
Angel's Fist (Hammer) - Warrior
Dwells-in-Light (Longsword) - Warrior
Sultry Cowl (Head, Female) - All Classes
Burnished Bracers (Arms) - Fi/St/MK/As/MA/Wa/Ra
Dragon Hide Bracers (Arms) - St/As/MA/Ra
Raptor Cuisses (Legs, Armor) - MK/As/MA/Wa/Ra/So
Crimson Sabatons (Lega, Armor) - Fi/MK/Wa

Want:

Nebula Cloak
Shadow set
Grisly Helm
Twilight Mask
Twilight Greaves

Any other Everfall goodies, let me know what you've got. You can just send me a message via PSN: A_MagicToaster

My PSN list is probably full.

Ok, no Gold Idol. Could some friendly gaffer gift my a Veteran's Arc or something? I still havent found anything besides a reinforced long bow. Kinda sucky Ranger =\

If you're on PS3, I could hook you up.

Abylim

Certainly am!
PSN Abylim... ill change my pawn over to Ranger if you're down for this.

Any other Rangerly goodies you feel like parting with would be helpful! Still Rocking the Captains armor hehe

Schwabe

so strange. i am almost at the end of NG+ and i saw one griffin only. the one in the griffin's bane quest. i rarely use ferrystones, but i seem to bee always at the wrong time at certain places -.-

Just got
the True End.

Holy shit. I take back anything bad I've ever said about the game's story. From
the Greatwall quest
to the very end, the game just explodes into greatness.

One complaint, though, is that
the Everfarming
really kills the pacing and just feels like a mess. I would have preferred something more linear and focused, so that you're forced to
complete all of the rooms.

i've been doing this on my first playthrough. also killing bosses out in the world and discovering changes post game.

dragons out in the wild have unique dialog.

edgefusion

Some pics, 'cos everyone loves pics:

Killing it felt epic, even if it only had tiny sliver of health left. :p
UrDefeat.jpg

My main pawn, Alastor. Currently a level 82 sorcerer. For most of his levels he's been a Fighter so I thought I should magick it up for a bit. I was kind of worried his magick would be too puny as a result of spending the game as a melee class, but as it turns out he makes an awesome sorcerer. He has a a pool of 3000+ health and more defense than your average magick user, meaning he doesn't drop dead every five seconds. I dressed him up to reflect his heritage as an armour-user.

Alastor.jpg

If you want to hire him my PSN is the same as my GAF username, or send me a friend request if he's too high level to be affordable.

Anteater

Just got
the True End.

Holy shit. I take back anything bad I've ever said about the game's story. From
the Greatwall quest
to the very end, the game just explodes into greatness.

One complaint, though, is that
the Everfarming
really kills the pacing and just feels like a mess. I would have preferred something more linear and focused, so that you're forced to
complete all of the rooms.

Yeah, they could easily made that part better by not putting in a
fetch quest
, don't know what they were thinking, it's not that big of a deal but I don't think it really takes much effort to make that part slightly better especially it's the end of the game

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I love: That if you are falling through the everfall and aim so that you just land SPLAT style on a platform it doesn't load or save or anything. you just stand up and brush yourself off like whatever and get to killing :D

I hate: That i finally fought my first metallic golem and the last crystal i needed to bust to kill him was 40 feet in the air and the only archer in my group couldn't put it together and shoot the fucking thing. I had to run away. ... run.... away. Fucking unacceptable. Back to assassin.

EDIT: Still haven't received the gifts sent to me over the last few days from people. Really scared they got transmuted into rocks at the moment. sad face.

Ricker

Near Gran Soren my Pawn keeps saying around the same spot,that there is something underground but I can't find the entrance,unless the entrance is that mine not too far or the entrance is actually in Gran Soren and she is talking about the passages...?

Anyway,finally killed the 3 Ogres in the mines,the last one almost killed us all because near death he kinda ran away but then came back on a rampage,running all over the place...changed my Fighter to a Mystic Knight for now and my Strider to a Ranger,not bad,still confused that there is a set of skill that I cant learn skills from...I can equip a staff,a sword and a shield, but only a shield as secondary...a sword primary and a staff secondary would be nice...

orion434

Completed the game last night with 100% of the Achievements. My Magick Archer was unstoppable... I've been leveling him as a Sorcerer so I can get the +5 Magic Attack each level and with a Deagon Forged Dragon Quickening with Holy Affinity I took down the Ur-Dragon in 1 attempt... I wasn't connected because the current Generation Ur-Dragon had 6 bars of Health left and I wanted to end it last night.

I was lv 75 Magick Archer with Hunter Arrow I was targeting almost every area on the Dragon with Holy Homing Magic Arrows. I had him in a stagger-lock and brought enough potions to never run out of stamina. Magick Archer is probably the most over-powered class if leveled correctly ( as a Sorcerer for the Magic Attack )

Can't wait for some DLC

Carcetti

Sounds fun! I just killed arch-hydra and the beholder last night as 9 rank mystic knight, and I'm switching to magic archer today once I max out the old class. Done Mage and Sorcerer to max before that, so my magic attack should be good enough.

redcrayon

Ricker, she is talking about the rear entrance to the Catacombs- it's a trapdoor in the ground, surrounded by rubble, next to a ruined wall- check out the ruins near to Gran Soren, you'll find it soon enough.

You won't be able to do much with it until you have been through the Catacombs (entrance is on a hill, North of the Abbey, several quests take you there) and unlocked a door from the other side.

I killed the dragon last night, really looking forward to the rest of the game now. How long is the post-game? It's taken me about 40 hours so far.

sonicmj1

Wow, the cutscene during the quest given by the dutchess's maid, where
the duke tries to strangle his wife
was so unintentionally hilarious. It was especially good because I had a very tall pawn whose helm was peeking over whatever he was hiding behind.

I love this game when I'm exploring. The world is huge and full of stuff, and fighting anything non-trivial is a lot of fun.

I'm level 18, and just hired a level 22 pawn that has a weapon (Dragon's Edge, iirc) that looks like an end game weapon. She has 5x the strength of my other fighter pawn.

What's the deal with that?

Completed the game last night with 100% of the Achievements. My Magick Archer was unstoppable... I've been leveling him as a Sorcerer so I can get the +5 Magic Attack each level and with a Deagon Forged Dragon Quickening with Holy Affinity I took down the Ur-Dragon in 1 attempt... I wasn't connected because the current Generation Ur-Dragon had 6 bars of Health left and I wanted to end it last night.

I was lv 75 Magick Archer with Hunter Arrow I was targeting almost every area on the Dragon with Holy Homing Magic Arrows. I had him in a stagger-lock and brought enough potions to never run out of stamina. Magick Archer is probably the most over-powered class if leveled correctly ( as a Sorcerer for the Magic Attack )

Can't wait for some DLC

This is my current plan. How many levels would you recommend spending as a sorcerer for the +5 boost?

orion434

This is my current plan. How many levels would you recommend spending as a sorcerer for the +5 boost?

I leveled him as a Strider to lv 10, then switched to Sorcerer from 11 - 50. At this point I had enough Gold to adventure out as a Magick Archer... and Ferry-stone back to Gran Soren right before level-up... then I'd switch Vocations back to Sorcerer to level-up then back to Magick Archer. It's tedious but so rewarding.

The atmosphere is not merely for window dressing, its gameplay oriented. The enjoyment one gets from trekking deep into some woods, running out of lamp oil and then being virtually CONSUMED by the darkness - horrifying direwolf howls and haunting harpy sirens lulling you into the abyss, creepy fires in the great distance hinting at some new undiscovered area - is seriously second to none. It's one of the rarest feelings I've ever got from any game. It's like if Monster Hunter had a love child with Skyrim and Dark Souls, but it only took the best aspects of each game!

This right here is what has been lacking in so many games since, hell, I'd say SNES/Genesis. The only games that have managed this well in the last 10 years that I can namedrop off the top of my head were Silent Hill 1&2, Everquest 1, and maybe Dead Space 1 - and even then only EQ1 had the combat depth and risk vs reward concepts to give a similar feel of adventure and dread to this game, but that didn't have combat that felt this good.

This game certainly isn't perfect, but few of my GOTY ever have been. It's gonna take some doing to knock this off the top slot for me this year.

I leveled him as a Strider to lv 10, then switched to Sorcerer from 11 - 50. At this point I had enough Gold to adventure out as a Magick Archer... and Ferry-stone back to Gran Soren right before level-up... then I'd switch Vocations back to Sorcerer to level-up then back to Magick Archer. It's tedious but so rewarding.

Excellent work and plan.

adventure and dread...

you really can't have one without the other. which's why other open-world rpgs often feel more like souped-up animal crossing stye activity games than actual adventures to me. if you're never genuinely threatened, or intimidated, where's the 'adventure'?...

i'd hoped for great things from dragon's dogma, & am very happy with how it's delivered...

Carcetti

Is there a guide somewhere on stats and what skills they affect. Let's say I'm a mystic knight with Fount of Fire in one hand and a some magic bonus shield in the other. Both boost magic stats but they're shown separately. Do they combine somehow? And how do you know which stats affect what? If I hit a magic cannon orb, does STR affect it at all or is it all from magic attack?

Arcteryx

Been doing this today on my first run still.

A couple times I've opened 3 or 4 chests in a row and got the exact loot I wanted on the first go; other times it's been 15min of save>open>crap>stab>reload until I get something new.

Farming chests also made me realize how much I hate pawns that open them all the time, especially when there are 3+ in the same area and I want to open them one at a time. Stupid pawns. I also hate pawns that crowd me all the time, "Move fucker! I'm trying to pick this shit up!"

I'm also having a bitch of a time getting Lordly Emblems, there's 2 Fell-Lords that spawn in the mountain cabin and the first time I fought them, they both dropped Emblems; now, 20+ Fell-Lords later and not one.
Grrr.

Anyone know what the Drake/Wyrm/Wyvern tears do? The description says if I have them all I can affect what loot I get or something, I have one of each but haven't noticed any changes.

You can create forgeries ;)

edgefusion

As Arcteryx said, I would heartily recommend forgeries. Some of the drops are too few and far between for the quest rewards to be satisfying without forgeries. Also keep in mind you can create forgeries of materials. "Love-In-The-Rough" is very hard to come by for example, but you can make as many forgeries as you want.

Completed NG+ and am now back to being showered in thousands of wakestones. It's good to be getting decent xp again! Now to focus on maxing out all vocations and dealing actual decent damage to the Ur-Dragon. Oh and trophies!

also, needs to be mentioned: the pawn system comes pretty damn close, innovation/enjoyment-wise, to matching the non-traditional online interactions of the souls games. anyone still disappointed with the 'lack of co-op' really needs to experience just how cool, & how rewarding it is - not perfect, but, all things considered, extremely well-implemented, & a whole lotta fun. it's a huge plus, & something just impossible to get any sense of from the demo, or watching videos...

Ricker

Ricker, she is talking about the rear entrance to the Catacombs- it's a trapdoor in the ground, surrounded by rubble, next to a ruined wall- check out the ruins near to Gran Soren, you'll find it soon enough.

You won't be able to do much with it until you have been through the Catacombs (entrance is on a hill, North of the Abbey, several quests take you there) and unlocked a door from the other side.

I killed the dragon last night, really looking forward to the rest of the game now. How long is the post-game? It's taken me about 40 hours so far.

Ok cool,I think I know where it is now,thanks.

Top Bottom