• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Anything I should actively avoid selling? I get the sense most of the "other" types with the crystal icon for the category are there for selling to vendors but then of course there are items that appear to be quite important in there too.

Also, materials: should I dump them all into storage when I get the chance?

From my 100+ hours with the game already, I've only sold weapons, armor and Wakestones. I just throw the materials I get into storage since they could be used for upgrading weapons and armor.

Arcteryx

What really got to me was that I had a fairly capable ranger in my group. She was shooting her bow...at the golem. I tried evey command while staring at the crystal...nothing. I've never had a problem with their ai until now. In fact it seems I'm one of the few that has never had an issue with my mage pawns...whenever there is.t and enemy arou.d spam help and they run through every buff they have on the whole party. Just part of my pre-everfall chamber routine now.

But dat golem. Uhh...pissed me off. So sad climbing to its head and attempting to jump off and hit it like that. Frustrating.....no doubt.

Yea, the AI mechanics for that part of the game are definitely bugged. Just about the ONLY way to kill those is to change your vocation to Ranger/Strider.

I send them back with bad reviews. I'm not sure what choices they made, but some pawns refuse to fight and just follow me around mid-fight. I want aggressive pawns who use their skills.

They likely have the "Guardian" inclination, which can prove problematic in certain situations. It's always wise to check a pawn's nature before hiring them, thus avoiding future complications.

So I'm starting over tonight. Since I can't have multiple saves, one lucky, well-made pawn out there is going to receive the rare Savage Fang longbow as a parting gift before I delete that save. Someone might get a port crystal, too. I'm just going to make someone's night, I think.

Yea, the AI mechanics for that part of the game are definitely bugged. Just about the ONLY way to kill those is to change your vocation to Ranger/Strider.

That is not true. I have taken down Golems with me and my Pawn being Warriors, and I always usually have a Sorcerer and Mage with me at all times, and at that time none of the Sorcerers had spells like Meteor, Maelstrom and so forth.

In general I find Ranger pawns, and Strider pawns to be useless. You have to be careful what inclinations you give them, nothing infuriates me more than seeing a Ranger dive into combat head on melee style. People need to stop giving Ranger/Strider pawns daggers and you really really have to work on their inclinations to cull the madness.

In anycase. This douche bag Fournival, I don't want to help him, if I don't help him will the story branch to negatively affect him, and if I do help him will the story positively affect him?

Guys is there a way to screw up your build so much that game gets needlessly harder?
Nope. The only part of your character that can't be changed is stat growth which is based on what class you are when you level up, and it doesn't really matter since every class gets at least a little bit of everything and equipment is the major deciding factor anyway.

They likely have the "Guardian" inclination, which can prove problematic in certain situations. It's always wise to check a pawn's nature before hiring them, thus avoiding future complications.

So I'm starting over tonight. Since I can't have multiple saves, one lucky, well-made pawn out there is going to receive the rare Savage Fang longbow as a parting gift before I delete that save. Someone might get a port crystal, too. I'm just going to make someone's night, I think.

You should consider my pawn, I'll have to change him to archer, since he's currently a warrior so you'll be able to see his face. PSN: itzknickknac, pawn: leonidas.

Schwabe

So. I finally saw all endings, mind finally blown^^

I started a new playthrough, did one quest that i missed previously, but i didn't get "the hero" trophy. So i have missed another quest or more in two playthroughs... F**k!

Loaded the backup save, i'll search for the missing quests later, first i will farm the everfall again.

3 trophies mossing for platinum... No clue which quests i am missing >_<

I send them back with bad reviews. I'm not sure what choices they made, but some pawns refuse to fight and just follow me around mid-fight. I want aggressive pawns who use their skills.

My main pawn was built to fight and to tank, but for some reason during some fights he'll just stand around doing nothing. Something's messed up in the AI at times. When he's doing his job, he does it well though.

Ugh, what in the world do I do with all the items in this game? What do I keep, what do I sell, what is super valuable that if I get rid of I'm an idiot?

Can I sell the original sword and shield I got when starting the game, or do they turn magically into the best equips in the game or something?

Ugh, what in the world do I do with all the items in this game? What do I keep, what do I sell, what is super valuable that if I get rid of I'm an idiot?

Can I sell the original sword and shield I got when starting the game, or do they turn magically into the best equips in the game or something?

No, not really. If you upgrade them to lv.3 they'll cause poison, but it's not really worth it. I advise you to keep every crafting material you find, especially those from felled monsters. Sell your obsolete gear unless you like the look of it. Keep all the late-game gear you find, you can use it to barter with fellow players.

The worst example of pawn AI I usually run in to is recognizing what an enemy is weak against and casting the wrong buff on me.

"FIRE HURTS THEM"

*casts ice enchantment*

Some degree of pawn orders like "HEY CAST FIRE ENCHANTMENT FUCK" would be welcome.

No, not really. If you upgrade them to lv.3 they'll cause poison, but it's not really worth it. I advise you to keep every crafting material you find, especially those from felled monsters. Sell your obsolete gear unless you like the look of it. Keep all the late-game gear you find, you can use it to barter with fellow players.

Thanks, now what about general items, herbs, food, etc? And weird crap like buckets and brooms and rocks

Also, what are those seeker tokens?

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.

I felt doubly bad because it was your pawn that I had with me and I wanna keep her around. At least until I ding new game+...but I almost had to rage toss her into the everfall. I controlled myself and later tonight ill be back to assassin...that room should take me all of 60 seconds once I get my bow back..

Edit: concerning mages...y mage right now lil-miss is great at knowing when holy is better than fire and vice versa...I love her. She just recently got her skin died blue as well...pretty legit! Lol

Thanks, now what about general items, herbs, food, etc? And weird crap like buckets and brooms and rocks

Also, what are those seeker tokens?

You'll get a quest asking for 20 Seeker's Tokens eventually - collect them until you have 20. As for buckets and what not, I don't even bother picking them up. You can combine them with stuff to make others items, but they don't have much value outside of experimenting with item combination.

The worst example of pawn AI I usually run in to is recognizing what an enemy is weak against and casting the wrong buff on me.

"FIRE HURTS THEM"

*casts ice enchantment*

Some degree of pawn orders like "HEY CAST FIRE ENCHANTMENT FUCK" would be welcome.

I was with a fire mage and a sorcerer that cast holy enchantments. The enemies were weak to fire so my fire mage hit me with the fire enchantment and the sorcerer followed up by trying to enchant me with holy, which overrides the fire. I tried hard to out run the stupid enchantment but it eventually hit me. So now I just pick pawns that do fire. Seems like every damn thing in the game is weak to fire anyway, and if they're not I'm so overpowered that I can just bash them to death.

"FIRE HURTS THEM"

*casts ice enchantment*

I just don't bother hiring mage/sorceror pawns that have any enchantment other than fire. The only exception is for dragon killing, in which case I'd take an ice-only pawn instead.

edit: Baconsammy knows what's up.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That ice spire attack is goddamn ridiculous, I really wish you had more direct control over the pawns. When they pull that move off it always stuns whatever enemy I'm fighting and I cut through their HP like butter, but they just fuck around for half the fight before they cast it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
That ice spire attack is goddamn ridiculous, I really wish you had more direct control over the pawns. When they pull that move off it always stuns whatever enemy I'm fighting and I cut through their HP like butter, but they just fuck around for half the fight before they cast it.

God, this, so much.

It's such a pain in the ass when you're fighting something like a Drake, and the fight just drags on and on, then FINALLY after what seems like forever, one of your pawns casts the ice spire and destroys like 3/4 of the enemy's health. And you're like "You couldn't have done that TEN MINUTES AGO?!".

Plus, I'm finding that pawns are more of a liability in post-game than anything else. ESPECIALLY mage/sorcerer pawns. They don't seem to know how to, y'know, not die constantly.

Spat_triate

I was with a fire mage and a sorcerer that cast holy enchantments. The enemies were weak to fire so my fire mage hit me with the fire enchantment and the sorcerer followed up by trying to enchant me with holy, which overrides the fire. I tried hard to out run the stupid enchantment but it eventually hit me. So now I just pick pawns that do fire. Seems like every damn thing in the game is weak to fire anyway, and if they're not I'm so overpowered that I can just bash them to death.

I just don't bother hiring mage/sorceror pawns that have any enchantment other than fire. The only exception is for dragon killing, in which case I'd take an ice-only pawn instead.

edit: Baconsammy knows what's up.

Hellhounds.

I got merc'd by a pack of them because I had a fire mage and fire daggers. My warrior pawn was keeping us competitive until she went down. I got pounced on by one of them and immolated by the other 2.

Hellhounds.

I got merc'd by a pack of them because I had a fire mage and fire daggers. My warrior pawn was keeping us competitive until she went down. I got pounced on by one of them and immolated by the other 2.
True. I didn't go into postgame with my first character, and my second was an Assassin+Warrior duo so I could just swap weapons as needed.

Arcteryx

That is not true. I have taken down Golems with me and my Pawn being Warriors, and I always usually have a Sorcerer and Mage with me at all times, and at that time none of the Sorcerers had spells like Meteor, Maelstrom and so forth.

In general I find Ranger pawns, and Strider pawns to be useless. You have to be careful what inclinations you give them, nothing infuriates me more than seeing a Ranger dive into combat head on melee style. People need to stop giving Ranger/Strider pawns daggers and you really really have to work on their inclinations to cull the madness.

In anycase. This douche bag Fournival, I don't want to help him, if I don't help him will the story branch to negatively affect him, and if I do help him will the story positively affect him?

Even the metal golem? There's a power crystal WAY up in the air(specifically talking about Everfall here, all other metal golem encounters are fairly tame compared to that one), the only way to get to it is either jump from the golem or shoot it with an arrow, and the AI won't do either.

Can you just hire pawns that have super high levels? I don't want to do that and make the game easy, but I'm noticing a level 36 sorcerer pawn that i can hire for free as soon as I got the ability to hire pawns...

abundant

Can you just hire pawns that have super high levels? I don't want to do that and make the game easy, but I'm noticing a level 36 sorcerer pawn that i can hire for free as soon as I got the ability to hire pawns...

Pawns from your Friends List are free. And yes, if you have enough Rift Crystals to afford a high leveled Pawn or someone from you FL has a high leveled Pawn, you can rent them.

Oh God...why did I look at the Guide....Now I feel like starting over. Damnit, I'll just press on. At the very very beginning of the game a Merchant was being attacked, I was on the beach just outside Cassardis, by the time I got to him, the Goblins murdered him and he evaporated in a green tornado....now I come to read he's important to start a quest.....sigh...

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

I noticed that too, why use any other enchantment? I gave my pawn holy and fire boons, but it seems like holy is a waste, even undead are weak to fire.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I noticed that too, why use any other enchantment? I gave my pawn holy and fire boons, but it seems like holy is a waste, even undead are weak to fire.

Once you get further in the game there are more monsters weak to holy. Especially late game "dark" versions of monsters are SUPER weak to holy. I believe the damage to any undead is significantly better with holy than fire. All of the elements have their place it's just that fire is a decent catch-all if you don't know a creatures specific weakness. Saurians, for instance, are fairly weak to fire but incredibly weak to ice - so much so in fact that if you have ice enchantments on you can probably take on lizards well above your level.

Oh God...why did I look at the Guide....Now I feel like starting over. Damnit, I'll just press on. At the very very beginning of the game a Merchant was being attacked, I was on the beach just outside Cassardis, by the time I got to him, the Goblins murdered him and he evaporated in a green tornado....now I come to read he's important to start a quest.....sigh...

I'm sorry for your loss...but mind telling me where he's supposed to be in order to start this quest after saving him?

Just switched from an Assassin to a Mystic Knight after 105 hours of play. It's going to take a bit of getting used to. What are some recommended skills?

This is my biggest problem/irritation with the game. They built it around pawns and pawn interactions, but they made the AI brain-dead stupid. If you feel the need to tell me 100 times over and over that the enemy is weak to fire, and you possess the ability to use fire attacks F*cking use them! If you're a strider and you feel the need to point out that the Golem is vulnerable on the glowing discs - SHOOT THEM, DUMMY! I hope this game is selling well enough in the West to get a sequel here, and hopefully they listen to the various complaints because this could be one of the best, if not the best, action RPGs on any console.

This is really my issue as well. The AI is ridiculously bad. if the game designers had played FFXII for 30 seconds, they would have seen that game handles party member AI so well it makes dragon's dogma look broken.

For instance- in FFXII I can set the party healer to cast the heal spell or use curative items (my choice!) on myself, another specific party member, or the entire party when health reaches 90%, 80%, 70%, 60%, etc. Dragon's dogma NPC's will happily run around with 30% health with an inventory full of curatives you have no way to make them use.

TOTALLY brain dead.

This is really my issue as well. The AI is ridiculously bad. if the game designers had played FFXII for 30 seconds, they would have seen that game handles party member AI so well it makes dragon's dogma look broken.

For instance- in FFXII I can set the party healer to cast the heal spell or use curative items (my choice!) on myself, another specific party member, or the entire party when health reaches 90%, 80%, 70%, 60%, etc. Dragon's dogma NPC's will happily run around with 30% health with an inventory full of curatives you have no way to make them use.

TOTALLY brain dead.
Just use the Help command and they'll use them right away.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
KO Traveling Hobo said:
Just use the Help command and they'll use them right away.

Yep, the AI is mostly pretty damn good. It just takes a bit of getting used to how it works in a slightly different way to how you might expect. Its unusual the way that pawns are basically expendable, them "dying" is a mild inconvenience when (worst-case scenario) all you have to do is run up to them and resurrect them.

The only problems I've had seem all to have involve the way a certain behavioural setup makes some mage-pawns work - stupid stuff like "come" triggering them to try and buff rather than simply moving to your position.

Other than that the worst thing I've seen is 3 pawns getting deadlocked on a dodgy AI path and the fps dropping to about 5fps until I moved to a point where they disentangled themselves.

That being said, I've had no other bugs/problems with the game at all after 65 hours playtime.

On that note just reached the postgame... fuck me this game is tremendous. Definite GOTY candidate in my opinion - despite what the idiot reviewing community says.

TOTALLY brain dead.

I haven't had any real problems with the AI, in fact I'd put it second to FFXIII. (not comparing to XII because of the gambit customization and the ability to issue specific orders.) Mage pawns always cast heal if I or another pawn is injured, and they always use healing items if needed. They just don't heal injuries (or whatever it's called when max HP is reduced), I assume so as not to burn through healing items too fast). It would be nice to have more control, especially a more efficient way to set inclinations, but overall I've been impressed, not just with combat but path finding as well. The pawns are much better then the moron followers in Bethesda games and Sheva from RE5.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Holy crap this game gets intense. Just fought my first Cyclops with my party while trying to do the Scouting Mission quest.

He had a helmet on though so I couldn't smack him in the noggin. Is it possible to break enemy armor?

Yep, the AI is mostly pretty damn good. It just takes a bit of getting used to how it works in a slightly different way to how you might expect. Its unusual the way that pawns are basically expendable, them "dying" is a mild inconvenience when (worst-case scenario) all you have to do is run up to them and resurrect them.
Indeed. Mystic Knights actually have augments that give your pawns buffs when you raise them from the dead, almost encouraging you to let them die.

On that note just reached the postgame... fuck me this game is tremendous. Definite GOTY candidate in my opinion - despite what the idiot reviewing community says.
The best part about postgame is that it retroactively made everything leading up to it better for me.

The shift in from perception from "haha these guys have no idea how to tell a story" to "holy shit these guys know what they're doing" had a huge impact on how I saw the cutscenes on the second go-round. Some of the Arisen's expressions and excessively long shots still got a laugh out of me, but I was able to look past those and appreciate the goodness underneath.

abundant

I haven't played it yet, but Magic Cannon and Perilous Sigil(for large enemies) are supposed to wreck face.

Yep, those are the must have skills for the MK. Also get Holy and Ice enchantments, that way you can get a fire mage pawn and have all your bases covered without depending on dumb AI.

Post Wyrm Quest and romance spoilers. So I just
met the duke, then talked to the duchess for a while giving her my goofy random hat. She invites me to her chamber at night through her servant. I visit, the duke shows up and proceeds to start choking her out. I attack him, get thrown in the dungeon, the duchess helps me escape which apparently unlocks the romance achievement.

so first question, WTF was that all about? second, am I locked into that romance? third, was there another way to handle that situation? and finally, WTF?

abundant

1) Don't know.
2) Probably. If you don't give anyone else a gift.
3) No

That was one of the worst parts of the game.

You are freed by the Duchess and everyone forgets what happens instantly. Everything is back to normal.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.

TOTALLY brain dead.

One of the very first things I decided I'd love to see in a sequel is a riff on the Gambit system of FFXII for the pawns.

I've gotten used to dealing with the AI's shortcomings by using the directional pad commands constantly and obsessively poring over pawns in the rift until I find ones that have exactly the skills I'm looking for and nothing else, but it'd be really nice to be able to just sidestep that entirely.

That was one of the worst parts of the game.

Absurd. The locus of sheer insanity that is the Duke's Demesne is nothing if not a series of successive high water marks in video game narrative achievement.

Many a game would be well-served to emulate what Capcom achieved with that location.

Has anyone tried using the postgame RC item that resets your pawn's inclinations? I'm curious how big of a difference it would be, but my pawn is mostly awesome and I'm afraid of fucking him up.

Has anyone tried using the postgame RC item that resets your pawn's inclinations? I'm curious how big of a difference it would be, but my pawn is mostly awesome and I'm afraid of fucking him up.

I changed my sorcerer Pawn's inclination to:

Primary: Scather
Secondary: Challenger

It's cool. She casts spells non-stop.

Dresden

I think Scather and Utilitarian are the traits to look for more than anything else. Kill 'em all mentality works well for pawns, stuff like Guardian is garbo.

Vamphuntr

I think Scather and Utilitarian are the traits to look for more than anything else. Kill 'em all mentality works well for pawns, stuff like Guardian is garbo.

Indeed. Pawns I recruited online with Guardian were all awful. They randomly walk around you and don't do much.

Top Bottom