• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Schwabe

If you want to mislead him and tell him those are like Mass Effects, go right ahead. =)

He's looking for a story-driven game, which this clearly is. I just didnt like the story. Doesnt mean its not story-driven, though. It most definitely is.

At least DD has more different endings than Mass Effect 3 =)

edgefusion

Auurghhh! I hope in DD2 they add a "cast an enchant on my weapon you dumbass!" command. I'm stood next to my mage pawn constantly waving at her, hammering "Help!", to get her to cast an enchant and she's repeatedly healing me because I'm missing like 10 health points.

Schwabe

Auurghhh! I hope in DD2 they add a "cast an enchant on my weapon you dumbass!" command. I'm stood next to my mage pawn constantly waving at her, hammering "Help!", to get her to cast an enchant and she's repeatedly healing me because I'm missing like 10 health points.

1. eat a greenwarish
2. continue hammering "help"

and also, check the pawns inclination. hammering help will change utilitarian to medicant as a primary...

Well, I feel like it's time for *this* post. After over 100 hours of play, I thought about what could be improved/added to Dragon's Dogma and to a sequel.

- Buy items/equipment > send to storage feature.

- Equipment set register setting just like in Monster Hunter, because it's a bit bothersome to change Vocations then have to change back your equipment again. With an equipment registry, you can switch to a Vocation with weapons and armor already pre-loaded all in one.

- For an open-world game, it's pretty darn barren and there aren't very many locales and interesting locations. They should add in more variety in environments, as well as weather effects. Much more interesting and random encounters too.

- Bigger enemy boss types.

- Lances.

- More than one save slot.

- Improved framerate.

I'm sure some of this stuff could get patched it, but if there is a sequel down the line I hope it has some of those improvements. Overall, I don't have very many gripes with the game, but I won't deny that it could use some tweaking.

As for the Pawn system, I think they should definitely keep it and just add in some new features. Should have like a meeting space at the Rift for trading items/equipment, have a message board type thing for recommendations and requests.

I just delivered the Gold Idol at the blacksmith in Gran Soren. Took me a few days before he finally stocked himself with new weapons. Holy crap are they expensive with awesome stats. I bought myself the most expensive longbow (epic looking weapon by the way) and I think I lost around 100k. At least my Ranger finally has a longbow that actually looks great.

I would pay a respectable amount of money to be allowed to make all three of my pawns. There are few things I want more in this world than to make a team of four Fighter dwarves with Type 6 voices who just climb all over and stab shit to death.

Or a team of 4 Sorcerers who only know the meteor spell.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Really back and forth with my opinion on this game.

Sometimes it's pretty damn fun with the tough fights, other times it feels like an uninspired hack and slash with generic quests and a boring world.

Feels like a watered down Dark Souls at times too.

Amir0x

Banned
When does Madeline give the gold idol quest?

I fucking accidentally gave Cradox my fucking forgery, and that shit fucked everything up :<

maomaoIYP

Had some connectivity issues earlier, so I dived in anyway and fought the Ur-dragon offline for the 1st time....and I must say, the fight actually becomes fun. Fighting it online is really pretty much a very boring lucky draw, enter the room when he has 0 health and you win, otherwise it's like fighting a wall. If you've already gotten most of the weapons and want the fight to be fun (and beatable in as quick as 2 rounds), fight him offline. From now onwards I'm just going to be doing that.

Torraz

Just started the game yesterday. Only got up to the pawn camp but was already enchanted with the game. Only, in my haste to play I made a mistake. I totally missed the option to customize my character so I think I'll be restarting today. However, due tot the mechanics I have seen I have some more questions:

a) Is Strider a good class to start? I liked the "climb faster" perk and it seems like a nice combination between melee combat and ranged.

b) What's a good starting vocation for my pawn. Which are the most demanded? Casters (/healers), melee fighters or ranged damage dealers?

c) Furthermore, can you ever change your pawns inclinations? I just answered those four questions honestly, but if the inclinations are permanent I might have to follow a guide or something like that...

glaurung

Just started the game yesterday. Only got up to the pawn camp but was already enchanted with the game. Only, in my haste to play I made a mistake. I totally missed the option to customize my character so I think I'll be restarting today. However, due tot the mechanics I have seen I have some more questions:

a) Is Strider a good class to start? I liked the "climb faster" perk and it seems like a nice combination between melee combat and ranged.

b) What's a good starting vocation for my pawn. Which are the most demanded? Casters (/healers), melee fighters or ranged damage dealers?

c) Furthermore, can you ever change your pawns inclinations? I just answered those four questions honestly, but if the inclinations are permanent I might have to follow a guide or something like that...
A. Choose any class you like. Strider is good.
B. Choose a pawn vocation that complements your own class.
C. You can adjust the pawn inclination at camps by sitting down with your pawn.

a)Strider is awesome from start to finish. Ensnare/Implicate is godly against smaller enemies and Scarlet/Hundred Kisses destroys anything you can climb on.

b) Casters are a dime a dozen. I prefer my Fighter/Warrior pawn since their tanking is useful and they're so damn sturdy that you don't have to babysit them as much.

c) There's a dude at the Encampment(the pawn camp you mentioned) who sells potions that boost specific inclinations and doing certain things will alter your pawn's behavior, but you can't totally reset them until the end of the game. However, when you hover over the choices it shows you what effect they will have so it's fairly easy to set things up how you'd like.

This spreadsheet has some really great info in it, including what each inclination means and how to increase it.

a) It's a great class to start with and then go on to be a Ranger or Magic Archer. I don't really think you want to climb faster, though, but that's up to you of course.

b) I used a Mage to get his healing spell, but a Warrior would complement your ranged MC pretty well, too.

c) Yeah, there's the "Chair of Knowledge" in the Gran Soren Inn that makes you go through a random set of questions. That's a total pain, though, and you wont necessarily get the desired result out of that. You can also buy 'potions' in the encampment that change inclinations more directly.

Torraz

a) It's a great class to start with and then go on to be a Ranger or Magic Archer. I don't really think you want to climb faster, though, but that's up to you of course.

b) I used a Mage to get his healing spell, but a Warrior would complement your ranged MC pretty well, too.

c) Yeah, there's the "Chair of Knowledge" in the Gran Soren Inn that makes you go through a random set of questions. That's a total pain, though, and you wont necessarily get the desired result out of that. You can also buy 'potions' in the encampment that change inclinations more directly.

A. Choose any class you like. Strider is good.
B. Choose a pawn vocation that complements your own class.
C. You can adjust the pawn inclination at camps by sitting down with your pawn.

a)Strider is awesome from start to finish. Ensnare/Implicate is godly against smaller enemies and Scarlet/Hundred Kisses destroys anything you can climb on.

b) Casters are a dime a dozen. I prefer my Fighter/Warrior pawn since their tanking is useful and they're so damn sturdy that you don't have to babysit them as much.

c) There's a dude at the Encampment(the pawn camp you mentioned) who sells potions that boost specific inclinations and doing certain things will alter your pawn's behavior, but you can't totally reset them until the end of the game. However, when you hover over the choices it shows you what effect they will have so it's fairly easy to set things up how you'd like.

This spreadsheet has some really great info in it, including what each inclination means and how to increase it.

Thanks guys! That spreedsheet looks really useful.

Can one change the looks/size of one's arisen post creation?

In your first playthrough, there is a single-use scroll you a buy. One you hit
post-game sundering
there is one you can buy that just unlocks full edit on the main menu, letting you change everything on your char and pawn, as much as you want.

I haven't followed this game much, but can someone please confirm me if it's worth playing it because of the story? I've hope that being a jRPG's take on western lore japanese devs could add the story elements lacking in titles like The Elder Scrolls. Perhaps you can tell me if this is the case or not.

The story is barely there. The fact that it's so minimalist makes it better than most JRPGs stories.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Man, I'm like the lowest leveled character on the "Hunters of the Ur-Dragon" list. Everyone else is like 80-100. I'm 63. :lol

EDIT: Okay, I'm a bit confused. He died in my game. Does that mean I got the final blow? Got like 20 Wakestones and a bunch of rares. And Dragonforged all my equipment.

Man, I'm like the lowest leveled character on the "Hunters of the Ur-Dragon" list. Everyone else is like 80-100. I'm 63. :lol

EDIT: Okay, I'm a bit confused. He died in my game. Does that mean I got the final blow? Got like 20 Wakestones and a bunch of rares. And Dragonforged all my equipment.

You got a final blow, there is a grace period, after someone has killed him where anyone who goes in to fight him has a chance to get a killing blow. I don't know the exact time frame but I've heard people throw around 30 minutes.

Been playing for 44 hours and just now only reached level 47.
I'm loving the hell out of this game.

That is kind of the rate I am going at. It is like 1.10 a level per hour. It is ridiculous how addictive this game is when you take into consideration that the story and quests are abysmal.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey

Everyone gets the chance to land a final blow on the Ur-Dragon. There's a 30 min limit where the he spawns with zero health allowing people to get the full loot and XP. If you miss that period then you have to fight the next one.

Dave1988

Nope. You didn't do the final blow. After the Ur-Dragon is slain, a "grace period" activates for about 20-30 minutes after that where everyone who enters the Chamber of Lament within that time period fights the Ur-Dragon with 0 HP and all his weakpoints exposed. Hitting all of his weakpoints will kill the Ur-Dragon and award you the full loot drop: 20 Wakestones, and 6 random loot drops.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
You got a final blow, there is a grace period, after someone has killed him where anyone who goes in to fight him has a chance to get a killing blow. I don't know the exact time frame but I've heard people throw around 30 minutes.

Alright, cool, thanks.

Another question. Is the Abyssinal gear worth using, even if it's a good bit worse than my current Dragonforged gear?

the quarry has some suspicious walls as well. looks like DLC to me.

yeah, what's up with them?...

in the guide, they are referred to as 'strange wall', & behind them are small areas containing chests & mining spots. so maybe dlc (tho the chests contain pretty run-of-the-mill stuff). or something that just got removed, or wasn't finished?...

The only problem I have with the game is that quests are missable. I can understand if someone dies the quest is done, but not knowing of their existence at all has me going insane. After every story mission I do. I check every where again. Cassardi, Gran Soren, Bandit camp, Encampment etc. etc. just to make sure I'm not missing anyone. Missing weapons in an RPG like FF12, fine, cool I can live with that. Missing quests? RAGE!!!

nataku

Argh. I wish I knew completing Reynards quest line would max his affinity with me. I better not end up with him after being so careful the rest of the game...

EDIT: Thank you reload from last checkpoint. Hopefully I avoided that ending now.

Schwabe

so, i found the other quest i misses. damn ... no more backup save pre everfall, so i have to play it again ... okay^^ maybe i'll get closer to level 200 ... 116 so far.

Just solo'd the Ur-Dragon. With Cllout, Vehemence, Bloodlust and Autonomy. Got 3714 Strength and managed to steal him one lifebar O_O (including one maker's finger). destroyed two weakpoints and got some loot... it's boring as hell...

with the strength+ by near death augment, i can have more than 5k strength (at 360/2800 HP) ... wow. thats crazy but the sound and the red screen is really ugly, and it's too dangerous for me^^

@miladesn:
check Madeleines shop. fine-over-knee boots.

almost ready to switch to warrior. i think it's time to get the guts armor out and get it dragonforged.

Alright, cool, thanks.

Another question. Is the Abyssinal gear worth using, even if it's a good bit worse than my current Dragonforged gear?

i'm using abyssinal on my main and pawn character currently. is there better stuff around? i couldn't find anything better fully upgraded.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
almost ready to switch to warrior. i think it's time to get the guts armor out and get it dragonforged.

i'm using abyssinal on my main and pawn character currently. is there better stuff around? i couldn't find anything better fully upgraded.

Well, I mean, Abyssinal Gear would be much better than my current gear if it were Dragonforged. I think I'll just leave it on my pawn for now, then put it back on my main character when the next Ur-Dragon comes around, so I can get it all Dragonforged.

maomaoIYP

Depends on your vocation, warriors have much better stuff than abyssinal. Most of them are 2% chest drops in the everfall.

Also, the abyssinal set is ugly as sin, I stay far far away from it.

Depends on your vocation, warriors have much better stuff than abyssinal. Most of them are 2% chest drops in the everfall.

Also, the abyssinal set is ugly as sin, I stay far far away from it.

i think it looks great. i found molten, meloreian and steel stuff for warriors in EF, not sure if that's the best gear for them. no chestpiece though.

Anteater

Man the merchants don't carry good looking gears for my assassin, feels bad man.

My status seem to say I've spent 70hrs in the game total, and spent 100hrs+ with female pawns, that's... weird.

vg260

I'm at lvl 20. I fighter I think. (one of the original three).

Any tips on some god items to make?
(I'm so bad at RPGs)

Top Bottom