• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

maomaoIYP

Ah, so there is gear that the online one drops which the offline doesn't. I suppose that makes it a bit more worthwhile then. Any advice on the damage though? I went and took every single damage aug, switched to the sword and spammed Dire Gouge. In about 10 minutes I took about 70% of 1 health bar. I do want some drops but fuck. I can't imagine someone trying to kill this thing in half a years time if each generation is tougher than the last..

There's not much you can do about the damage. I have the best weapons at dragonforged level and my dudes are level 140.....and I don't really do much damage as well. That's why it's pretty much a lucky draw, monitor the dragon's health over a weekend or something, so that you have lots of time to check every half hour.

blackflag

I believe this is actually the harshest, most limiting cut-off in the game. Consider it an incentivizer to play again in NG+ because you've just lost access to a bunch of stuff for the entirety of the playthrough.

I missed this and as a result Selene's entire side-story seems to blocked, which isn't good as without that you cant afaik get access to parts of the witchwood containing unique monsters (metal golems) and certain materials involved in gear upgrades and other message board quests (bay leaves).

I've been pretty careful but realistically I dont think there's any other severe cut-offs like that - at least without warning you first- later in the game, so its not too bad.

Damn, thanks for the explanation. I had a feeling it was important and was pretty pissed that I lost the quest, I only went to the big city first because I was having a hard time with the bandits near witchwood. Oh well, it has been mostly fun and that is the point I guess.

Pooya

post game stuff
So if I go finish the game and start NG+ I can't go to Everfall again right? when is the good time to start NG+?, I've cleared like 5 floors of everfall and already have enough wakestones , what to do? :( hate saving in this.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I feel like starting over from scratch, but this time I'd like to try a solo run >=)

It's pretty challenging. Especially if you pick certain classes... mage for example would probably be impossible. Just because you have to deal with mobs and there's no one to draw aggro. Fucking bandit archers man, are like the hardest goddamn enemies if you don't have a ranged attack to deal with them. Even playing fighter, with the ability to block, you get overwhelmed with arrows sometimes.

So... it can be frustrating. But then again goblin packs actually pose a threat for a lot longer in the game when you solo. And they are fun to fight. Fights in general are more fun, save for bandit groups w/ archers.

Also... you can acquire a shitload of RC when you solo. Because you get all this high lvl gear to drop on your low level pawn... they look awesome people recruit them like crazy.

Dresden

One of the reasons I wanted to do a Mystic Knight solo run was that maybe the shield counter skills will finally be useful. :lol

Evolved1

One of the reasons I wanted to do a Mystic Knight solo run was that maybe the shield counter skills will finally be useful. :lol

MK is probably the safest solo build, because they have a wide range of magic and defensive abilities + buffs.

I'd say something like Ranger or Assassin would be next. They make up for lack of defense with mobility, and have nice offensive abilities... and special arrows + throwblasts can take down something like an ogre in seconds.

Mage would be the hardest, imo. Maybe I will try it will another character at some point.

Dresden

Mage would just be frustrating--you'd spend half your time pre-casting around corners just to get by.

I figure anything with great damage and an option to go ranged will do well; MK, Assassin, Ranger, MA, etc. Pure fighters or warriors would have more trouble simply due to the abundance of enemies that can fly or float out of reach.

I feel like starting over from scratch, but this time I'd like to try a solo run >=)

Gotta be honest, that sounds like the complete opposite of fun. I enjoyed the game, but I'm part-way through NG+ and I'm done. There's been almost zero challenge in the game since around the 20 hour mark of my first play-through and the only time I did have a challenge it came about because my pawns' AI was inept (on a hydra fight in Everfall my fire mage kept shouting that we need to cauterize the wound to stop it from growing back, yet wouldnt use a fire attack herself or buff fire. Fuck that). I loved many moments playing the game, hated others, but I hope there's a sequel to see what they fix/change. All in all I think it actually deserves the review average that it has. Not amazing, and not terrible. Damn good.

Assassin is probably the best class to solo, IMO.

Night time augments
Solo augment
Has a bow to take care of aerial enemies
Hundred Kisses while grappling onto big monsters

Evolved1

Gotta be honest, that sounds like the complete opposite of fun. I enjoyed the game, but I'm part-way through NG+ and I'm done. There's been almost zero challenge in the game since around the 20 hour mark of my first play-through and the only time I did have a challenge it came about because my pawns' AI was inept (on a hydra fight in Everfall my fire mage kept shouting that we need to cauterize the wound to stop it from growing back, yet wouldnt use a fire attack herself or buff fire. Fuck that). I loved many moments playing the game, hated others, but I hope there's a sequel to see what they fix/change. All in all I think it actually deserves the review average that it has. Not amazing, and not terrible. Damn good.

Well... soloing makes the game harder. So if you thought it was too easy, I can't see how adding difficulty would be worse.

My main complaint about the game is lack of difficulty. I think they should have slowed the leveling process way down but increased speed of vocation ranks...

Assassin is probably the best class to solo, IMO.

Night time augments
Solo augment
Has a bow to take care of aerial enemies
Hundred Kisses while grappling onto big monsters

Maybe... idk... that's one of the vocations I haven't really used much. I haven't used the magic archer yet either, so I can't really say.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Playing as a Mage/Sorcerer is indeed difficult, and on my first playthrough all I did was spam High Comestation to get rid of large groups. It's a class that makes you highly dependent on your pawns.

Assassin's the best one though. I don't think I can fight without the bow anymore. So used to it.

They should've made NG+ here much more difficult. Increased enemy HP, increased enemy damage output with new moves too. Capcom isn't a stranger to this mechanic - they've done it for Monster Hunter.

Evolved1

They should've made NG+ here much more difficult. Increased enemy HP, increased enemy damage output with new moves too. Capcom isn't a stranger to this mechanic - they've done it for Monster Hunter.

It's the weirdest oversight. This should really be patched in. NG+ should be insanely hard.

maomaoIYP

Mage would just be frustrating--you'd spend half your time pre-casting around corners just to get by.

I figure anything with great damage and an option to go ranged will do well; MK, Assassin, Ranger, MA, etc. Pure fighters or warriors would have more trouble simply due to the abundance of enemies that can fly or float out of reach.

I don't actually think mage would be that difficult. The two core skills are great, one acts as spell casting protection, the other as a quick, high damage ranged attack. Besides, the best spell is ingle, and that casts pretty damn fast. I'm gonna try to max all vocations in my solo run, but I'm definitely going to do mage and sorc after I have the augments that lower physical damage taken.

Anteater

New game+ is just weird for a game with 199 levels, I really don't know what they were thinking, even if they throw in DLC contents for lvl100+, the original contents are still useless unless you restart a new game, and it's 1 save per account so you end up deleting your character and give up all your vocation ranks.

Yuterald

It's the weirdest oversight. This should really be patched in. NG+ should be insanely hard.

No, please, no automatic new game+ difficulty increase. It's one of the only reasons/things I hated about Demon's/Dark Souls. If you are going to make a game more difficult on the next playthrough/new game+ then PLEASE make it a selectable, harder difficulty. Don't FORCE me into a harder game. Diablo did it like this, Christ, even Resonance of Fate allowed you to new game+ into the same difficulty or a harder one.

Anteater

No, please, no automatic new game+ difficulty increase. It's one of the only reasons/things I hated about Demon's/Dark Souls. If you are going to make a game more difficult on the next playthrough/new game+ then PLEASE make it a selectable, harder difficulty. Don't FORCE me into a harder game. Diablo did it like this, Christ, even Resonance of Fate allowed you to new game+ into the same difficulty or a harder one.

Well yeah, just give players a choice, that's why there are difficulty options in their other games

Dresden

I don't actually think mage would be that difficult. The two core skills are great, one acts as spell casting protection, the other as a quick, high damage ranged attack. Besides, the best spell is ingle, and that casts pretty damn fast. I'm gonna try to max all vocations in my solo run, but I'm definitely going to do mage and sorc after I have the augments that lower physical damage taken.

Ingle? I always figured it was best to spam higher-tier spells like Bolide. Are there any numbers floating around?

The option to increase or keep the same difficulty on NG+ would be a nice option for a lot of players.

Evolved1

I'm not against options to the player... but do you really like not even taking damage from enemies?

By lvl 30 in the regular playthrough you are already completely god-like vs so many enemies. Letting a mob of starter goblins beat on you won't even dent your health. And that's just lvl 30 in the vanilla game.

By the time you are 100+ there is like nothing that poses even a remote threat to your health.

Yuterald

Well yeah, just give players a choice, that's why there are difficulty options in their other games

The option to increase or keep the same difficulty on NG+ would be a nice option for a lot of players.

Yeah, I mean, there are A LOT of ways to add difficulty to a game when it's completed. You can add new areas/dungeons that are only accessible post game with more difficult enemies/challenges (which is what like every RPG does). As I mentioned already, you can make selectable difficulty levels. A buddy of mine suggested that in Dragon's Dogma there could have been unique, tougher leader enemies that have a small chance of appearing in certain troops/packs on the field. Like take the wolf packs for example, maybe there's a small percent chance of there being a flaming cerberus in the pack. This flaming dog could drop something really good and rare too. This way there is always a threat or reason to retread old areas.

The thing you DON"T want to do is have everything scale to you. There are sooooo many ways to increase difficulty for a player. Just auto scaling or auto forcing the player into a hard difficulty is just bad, in my opinion. I'm usually good with an RPG if there is always something to strive for. There's got to be a reason (usually an impossible boss) for gaining levels, finding better gear, learning all the skills, etc. I haven't gotten to post game yet in this game, but isn't the UR-Dragon the mega challenge in this game?

Dresden

Scaling sucks, but I really wish there was a Hard difficulty. Right now the only way to make it harder is to actively handicap yourself by limiting pawn usage.

Okay GAF, I'm into role play (I like character progression and loot) but not that much into fantasy.

I can't tell from the gameplay video if this game is more like Demon's Soul (easier sure) type of gameplay or something else ? Also, does the avanced wizard kicks ass ?

Is the game fun for a non-fantasy fan ?

Well... soloing makes the game harder. So if you thought it was too easy, I can't see how adding difficulty would be worse.

I don't want to be the one that has to introduce the challenge into the game. Devs made the game, they should be able to provide the challenge. DD was designed as a party-system based game, and it works as one. Playing alone simply isn't fun, nor is it how I want to stretch myself in the difficulty department. NG+ should be increasingly harder and harder. The fact that it isnt is mind-numbingly stupid, especially when you consider the cap is 199. What's the point?

Astra

Agreed. I'd almost always choose the higher difficulty, but it never hurts to give players the option, instead of forcing them one way or the other. There are times I like running around as an overpowered God, though it does lose its luster rather quickly.

I'm so disappointed with the NG+ in this game. I hate taking down the big baddies in 10 seconds. Killing Direwolves in two hits, and laughing at all damage coming my way. Even playing as a sorcerer was easy (too easy, perhaps. Magick is pretty damn effective in this game).

Yuterald

The alternative is NG+ were I can trip and fall on a boss enemy and it dies. That's real fun.

Well, then I guess Dragon's Dogma didn't handle new game+ difficulty very well. To be honest though, I'd rather decimate things and actually become stronger than never feel like I'm getting anywhere. There HAS to be a payoff at some point. Maybe it just came too soon for you in DD?

I don't want to be the one that has to introduce the challenge into the game. Devs made the game, they should be able to provide the challenge. DD was designed as a party-system based game, and it works as one. Playing alone simply isn't fun, nor is it how I want to stretch myself in the difficulty department. NG+ should be increasingly harder and harder. The fact that it isnt is mind-numbingly stupid, especially when you consider the cap is 199. What's the point?

indeed. i don't think i'll be doing a solo run, because i dread the time looking at the consumables menu. the main game had me drinking too many potions already, i rather play the game.

and i'm a fan of a good, challenging balance.

Anteater

I really hope they patch something in, it's easily fixable and would help the game last much longer, which is something they would want.

and wtf why are
all the golems awakening in witchwood
lol

Well, then I guess Dragon's Dogma didn't handle new game+ difficulty very well. To be honest though, I'd rather decimate things and actually become stronger than never feel like I'm getting anywhere. There HAS to be a payoff at some point. Maybe it just came too soon for you in DD?

There's ways to increase difficulty that still make you feel godly. Why are all the bosses in the outerworld cupcakes yet there's difficult versions in the Everfall? Why not move that to the outerworld in NG+? If the incentive to play NG+ is to simply walk around one shotting everything and feeling like a god, that's not incentive enough to me. There's simply too many other games to play for me to play something that can't provide a challenge. A good game can challenge you and still make you feel like you're growing all the time.

I don't think that the point of NG+ is to actually kill anything, its basically there for you to do when you miss NPC quests, which could have been alleviated if the NPC quest structure wasn't so draconian.

I'm ALL for harder difficulties, and it is disappointing that they didn't make a harder difficulty, especially the people behind it.

but i'd still rather have nothing then shitty lazy scaling systems that almost always render a major component of the game (equipment) useless.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Got on last night and had a go at the ur dragon...manages to get his bar down about 1/12th of Omw life bar with steady gouging the whole time. Nice to know I can hurt him visibly now...anyone on atm wanna tell me where his life sits atm?

Anteater

how can i trigger that?!?

I went back to
witchwood to get the tablet thing from the grave, the golems there weren't moving still but I saw a metal golem so I went to poke it, it woke up and the quest popped up telling me to stop him, so while I was running around destroying those dishes thing, the normal golem I walked right into woke up as well, so I had to kill both

So I guess
the other golems wakes up when the metal golem is active, the rest stayed still after I kill them both and I didn't try run into them

I've never done this part before in my first game :p

Anteater

it didn't happen for me. i'll try it in the third playthrough :D

I did this before post game if it matters, actually just after
meeting the duke
and finishing a few sidequests I've never done

looool the nameless terror quest tells you where the ambush takes place if you have it as active

by letting you choose how to play (which class, how many pawns), the developer's provided you with the ability to make the game more challenging. you prefer it be done differently (ie, more traditionally via scaling), & don't feel it's fun...

which reminds me, pre-release, of many people preferring that the pawn mechanic be scrapped, & the game be straight co-op...

moral: no single game can please everyone...

'not what i would've preferred' does not necessarily equal 'mind-numbingly stupid'. it just indicates the developer chose to do things a little differently. you're not all that happy about it. me, i'm fine with it...

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I will definitely be doing a new game+ for quest trophies and such ... i didn't do ANY of the quests at the encampment or cassardis... didn't realize there were any to do and was well into gran soren before i read there were mission boards in those places.

Makes me wonder how much harder I made the game for myself playing strictly as an assassin AND skipping that early game easy exp.

can't wait to walk through the game/missions as a boss assassin. And i've decided at some point... when i decide i'm tired of assassin... i'll go Mystik Knight... got a slick shield for him already.

by letting you choose how to play (which class, how many pawns), the developer's provided you with the ability to make the game more challenging. you prefer it be done differently (ie, more traditionally via scaling), & don't feel it's fun...

which reminds me, pre-release, of many people preferring that the pawn mechanic be scrapped, & the game be straight co-op...

moral: no single game can please everyone...

'not what i would've preferred' does not necessarily equal 'mind-numbingly stupid'. it just indicates the developer chose to do things a little differently. you're not all that happy about it. me, i'm fine with it...

The only piece of all that pre-release complaints of pawns and AI and all that stuff is how I could imagine this game working really really well as a co-op adventure with one other person and their pawn. Seems like it could work really well.... just have to figure out how to do your items screen (pause both players, no pause at all... ect.) and it would be all good.

I can think of a few Gaffers that I would have definitely played a few hours with so far. Could be seriously fun to take down say... a cockatrice or some gorechimera bitches with someone who was as dangerous/capable as I am...

I actually didn't say level scaling. I said harder monsters and more difficult clustering of monsters. They already exist in the Everfell.

I will definitely be doing a new game+ for quest trophies and such ... i didn't do ANY of the quests at the encampment or cassardis... didn't realize there were any to do and was well into gran soren before i read there were mission boards in those places.

Makes me wonder how much harder I made the game for myself playing strictly as an assassin AND skipping that early game easy exp.

can't wait to walk through the game/missions as a boss assassin. And i've decided at some point... when i decide i'm tired of assassin... i'll go Mystik Knight... got a slick shield for him already.

The thing is the NPC missions really flesh out the game world, and it doesn't seem random when certain things occur, and sometimes you cause them occur. I always wondered what happened if you paid the moving expenses for that family in Gran Soren. Did they just vanish and if so where will they go? Also I understand how Madel got money to open her shop, and I got to see a nice cutscene of my pretty boy assassin being a Snake wall hugger lol.

Also how could you miss the floral delivery quest at Cassardis with huge green question mark floating over the ladies head?

I just don't understand how Itsuno could let the quest structure out the door like that. Its like it was rushed out.

The thing is the NPC missions really flesh out the game world, and it doesn't seem random when certain things occur, and sometimes you cause them occur. I always wondered what happened if you paid the moving expenses for that family in Gran Soren. Did they just vanish and if so where will they go? Also I understand how Madel got money to open her shop, and I got to see a nice cutscene of my pretty boy assassin being a Snake wall hugger lol.

Also how could you miss the floral delivery quest at Cassardis with huge green question mark floating over the ladies head?

I just don't understand how Itsuno could let the quest structure out the door like that. Its like it was rushed out.

The quest structuring and the "romance/affinity" features were rushed. A lot of things weren't fleshed out or explained, especially how your "love interest"
affected the ending

EekTheKat

Okay GAF, I'm into role play (I like character progression and loot) but not that much into fantasy.

I can't tell from the gameplay video if this game is more like Demon's Soul (easier sure) type of gameplay or something else ? Also, does the avanced wizard kicks ass ?

Is the game fun for a non-fantasy fan ?

It's an action RPG with somewhat absurdly high production values for this day and age with a fantastic sense of adventure. Some of the animations and visuals are really well done.

Monsters in DD are really expressive compared to many other games in the same genre.

By that I mean there seems to be proper animations reacting to what's happening in combat. For example in most games when you set a monster's head on fire, there will be a fire graphic that plays while the monster seemingly ignores his head bursting into flames.

In DD for example, some creatures with their head on fire will react appropriately.

I'm legitimately surprised by some of the other creature behaviors as well. Won't spoil it here as it happens fairly late in the game but it definitely caught my attention the first time I saw it happen.

In short, great combat with an attention to detail that's rarely seen in other games.

As for magic, the first time I ran as a high vocation Sorcerer I felt like a god.

I actually didn't say level scaling. I said harder monsters and more difficult clustering of monsters. They already exist in the Everfell.

no, you didn't - sorry... but what i'm saying still stands - that they went for something different, which just didn't work for you, personally...

post game stuff
So if I go finish the game and start NG+ I can't go to Everfall again right? when is the good time to start NG+?, I've cleared like 5 floors of everfall and already have enough wakestones , what to do? :( hate saving in this.

You can't go back into the Everfall in NG+ until you get there again by progressing the story. A good time to start NG+ is when you feel like you've obtained enough loot from the Everfall and explored around Gransys.

Top Bottom