• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

I'd say instead of level scaling, they should have done what DS did and make all enemies 3x stronger in NG+...

I've got all these moves but what's the point if most things die in 1-2 hits.

Yeah, I finally started NG+ and I agree with you guys that it's kinda lame being this overpowered. I maxed out Assassin in post-game so at night I'm a freakin monster, and kill most enemies in one hit.

Trying to challenge myself by not hiring any pawns and wearing skimpy clothes, lol.

I hope Capcom are taking note of what happens to DLC sales when they agree to a shitty 60-day exclusivity period for 360, and find the bulk of the playerbase on PS3.

M$

But seriously Capcom and MS are in very good terms. Sort of like how Ubisoft, WB and EA give out exclusive content to PS3 titles.

Yeah, I finally started NG+ and I agree with you guys that it's kinda lame being this overpowered. I maxed out Assassin in post-game so at night I'm a freakin monster, and kill most enemies in one hit.

Trying to challenge myself by not hiring any pawns and wearing skimpy clothes, lol.

Starting over is the best way to get the challenge back, but that only lasts until about level 20 - you'd lose all your hard work and gear, as well.

Honestly, I don't even think DD should have gone the Souls route and made all enemies 10x stronger. I enjoy being able to kill a small goblin or bandit in one hit, it feels right and natural because they're minor, unskilled opponents. Where I'd like to see the challenge continue is with boss creatures like cyclopes and chimeras - it could be as simple as giving them more hitting power and health, or maybe even creating new re-skinend versions just for NG+.

What DD needs is a nice dungeon only accessible to players lv.100+, give us something to do with all the sweet gear we got from the Everfall.

Jonm1010

Banned
New game+ doesn't scale, so there's no challenge at all.

The game is still challenging again towards the end of game so don't worry about it, it's not really a long game but there are things to do at the end that's still challenging.

No scaling up the enemies for a new game+ is a damn shame.

You would think simply because of all the DLC they would do something like that just to keep people interested.

Starting over is the best way to get the challenge back, but that only lasts until about level 20 - you'd lose all your hard work and gear, as well.

Honestly, I don't even think DD should have gone the Souls route and made all enemies 10x stronger. I enjoy being able to kill a small goblin or bandit in one hit, it feels right and natural because they're minor, unskilled opponents. Where I'd like to see the challenge continue is with boss creatures like cyclopes and chimeras - it could be as simple as giving them more hitting power and health, or maybe even creating new re-skinend versions just for NG+.

What DD needs is a nice dungeon only accessible to players lv.100+, give us something to do with all the sweet gear we got from the Everfall.

Yess. Would be great as free DLC. Doubt it'll happen though.
I mean, yeah, I feel like a bad-ass when I can hit a Cyclops 4 times in the head and he goes down, but meh. Guess I'll speed through this early stuff to get that challenge again. I'm only like level 62 or something I think.

Wow I thought I was hot shit just dropping creatures, took a couple of cyclopes at the same time. So I'm running around and run into a FUCKING DRAGON....and this dude has 6 extra lives? Ugh he wrecked my shit :(

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Yess. Would be great as free DLC. Doubt it'll happen though.
I mean, yeah, I feel like a bad-ass when I can hit a Cyclops 4 times in the head and he goes down, but meh. Guess I'll speed through this early stuff to get that challenge again. I'm only like level 62 or something I think.

I would love to see Silver/Gold/Plat golems, Dark/Holy Drakes/dragons, Fully armored Cyclops'... like War gear style... no way around it - gotta hack through layers of gear before you really start hurting the bastard. Unless you shock em!

Honestly.. best day ever would consist of them releasing a packs giants, manticore, hippogrif, kraken, gorgon, trolls, werewolfs, wendigo/bigfoots.... so on and so forth .. like honestly ... dark versions as well of each and off we go. Another 200+ hours spent happily murdering around Gran Soren.

Torraz

I've got a problem at the watergod's altar.

So I have to get these five tablets. The problem is they are very very heavy. I can only carry 2 and them I am overencumbered. Is there no way to make my pawns pick them up?

I've got a problem at the watergod's altar.

So I have to get these five tablets. The problem is they are very very heavy. I can only carry 2 and them I am overencumbered. Is there no way to make my pawns pick them up?

Give them to them in the inventory screen.

There's a pack of 10 messageboard quests called "The Chosen" up now, details are on the wiki. Nothing special from the looks, challenge-wise, but each gives a unique piece of gear as a reward.

i have no interest in that, but i'd be pissed if they pull the same stunt on expansion pack levels.

Yo Gotti

Banned
I don't want to be, but I think I'm gonna have to be done with this game finally. It's still fun to goof around in, but I'm gonna make myself to put it down until either they release some worthwhile DLC, or I pick it back up after a couple of months just to mess around.

The randomness of the end-game loot is really lame, nothing worse than fighting a
2x chimera, wight and hellhound gauntlet
only to open 3 chests for a harspud milk and 2 secret softeners. Just another aspect of this game that feels unfinished. After checking the wiki for the actual list of Everfall loot, I don't think it's worth it to keep playing anymore.

Since there's nothing else to do in the postgame/NG+ besides grind levels and hunt for loot, it's really disappointing that I'll have to sort through those copy and paste dungeons or do a save/reload trick just to get a piece of gear that I really only want for aesthetics.

This game started so strongly, peaked once I maxed out my favorite classes, then crashed horribly in the post-game/NG+. Not mad at all, I got a good 70 hours out of it, but I can't help but feel disappointed that it didn't get delayed another few months just so they could actually finish the game.

I wish there was a sure-fire way to dragonforge stuff in this other than playing through the MQ again and again, or camping threads waiting to see "GenXX is down!"

Fighting the Ur-Dragon offline is not worth the trouble when:

1. You're not guaranteed to get anything dragonforged.
2. It can take too long some times.
3. You can't see shit 90% of the time. It's either the 5fps slideshow when any magic is going, or showing me his underbelly when I'm climbing on his back trying to stab some shit. LET ME SEE MOTHERFUCKER!

Drakes, Wyverns, and Wyrms should dragonforge 1 item, every time -- with a 10% chance to forge everything.

BadData

Man, I find the black bars so annoying... If my TV was bigger maybe it wouldn't bother me so much, but I feel so claustrophobic, especially because there's so much going on. Only about 1.5 hrs into the game, but it's pretty awesome so far, it's been a minute since I've played a really Japanese feeling game.

Aselith

Is the DLC for this game that I keep getting messages about something you buy on the PSN? It's down right now so I can't check to see but I was curious if that were the case or if it just gets added to the game automatically.

So I just looked at the sales of this game, is it safe to say we probably won't get a sequel?

I've been hearing we probably will around these parts because Capcom made such a huge investment in the original tech to get it going. I'd say likely though the budget will be scaled down considerably so it probably won't be the game we would have gotten if it were a huge success. Really that goes without saying.

I think it also did a little better over Japanside and Europe.

Man, I find the black bars so annoying... If my TV was bigger maybe it wouldn't bother me so much, but I feel so claustrophobic, especially because there's so much going on. Only about 1.5 hrs into the game, but it's pretty awesome so far, it's been a minute since I've played a really Japanese feeling game.

Eh, I got over the black bars after a few hours into the game. I reckon you will too once you start getting hooked.

Last I remember is it did about 400,000 in Japan, but didn't even break 100,000K over here in the states. That is a sad state of affairs, not for the game, because the game is fantastic. How can people ignore this game? What is the gaming community doing?! You mean to tell me there are only 150,000k hardcore gamers at any given time in the United States of America that aren't tied to Diablo?

Aselith

Last I remember is it did about 400,000 in Japan, but didn't even break 100,000K over here in the states. That is a sad state of affairs, not for the game, because the game is fantastic. How can people ignore this game? What is the gaming community doing?! You mean to tell me there are only $150,000k hardcore gamers at any given time in the United States of America that isn't tied to Diablo?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon's_Dogma#cite_note-23

The number of pre-orders for the game in Japan exceeded half a million.[20] The game sold 331,064 copies during its first week on sale in Japan, including 302,040 for the PlayStation 3 and 29,024 for the Xbox 360,[21] making it the fastest-selling new IP of the current console generation.[22] As of early June 2012, the game has sold 419,208 copies in Japan alone.[23] In Europe, the game debuted at #3 on the UK charts.[22] In the United States, the game sold 92,000 copies in five days.[24]

92,000 in the US was per Anita Frazier from NPD. But it did get #3 in the UK so I'm not sure how good that is.

Question about the Ever-Fall. Can you take a Port Crystal and place it outside of the current chamber you are trying to farm. Ferry Stone out, and Ferry Stone back to the Port Crystal?

I haven't been in there much, but this free falling thing might start to get to me, I try to count the floors but sometimes I mess up.

Zaptruder

Banned
How was the advertising on this game? Shame to think that such an incredible franchise might die a still-born before it really gets its chance to shine. I mean as a game it already out does Elder Scrolls in many significant ways.

If this thing has to go Free to play to survive, then goddammit, that's exactly what needs to happen.

But as far as I know, all free to play games are heavily multiplayer - I wonder if they can make this kind of thing free-to-play while still having it mainly single player?

They could easily milk money (and piss off GAFfers) by adding in - additional character and pawn character slots. Have more random dungeons to explore - and of course do as they're doing now - add quests with new loot at the end.

New Game + balance mechanics - probably rescale mobs based on your base level upon new game + (to calibrate for the large difference between player completion levels) - with new loot that drops with random affixes - almost turn it into a Diablo style loot game.

One of the things that makes Blizzard games playable for so long and so successful - is because they actually make the effort to tweak and update the game years after launch. There's definetly a sense of newness and novelty after every patch - so I don't see why other companies can't try the same thing in order to stretch out the legs on their games.

I mean the old thinking of: all your sales at the start line is pretty fuckin' busted - and has left room for another industry on top of itself.

Question about the Ever-Fall. Can you take a Port Crystal and place it outside of the current chamber you are trying to farm. Ferry Stone out, and Ferry Stone back to the Port Crystal?

I haven't been in there much, but this free falling thing might start to get to me, I try to count the floors but sometimes I mess up.

They way I do it is to find the one you want, then look to see what direction it is on the wall.

When you jump in, you always start facing north; so remember where the chamber was positioned and face that way, it should be a lot easier to get to it.

Aselith

i've heard he will respawn if you rest 7+ days. try that?

Good news! This worked for anyone who might encounter this. I definitely played through a lot more than 7+ days before that though without him respawning so you definitely must rest to make it work. I rested like 10 times to be sure and went back and there he was. :) I was worried I was going to have to rush the rest of the game so I could get to a point where I could change my job.

Dresden

How was the advertising on this game? Shame to think that such an incredible franchise might die a still-born before it really gets its chance to shine. I mean as a game it already out does Elder Scrolls in many significant ways.

If this thing has to go Free to play to survive, then goddammit, that's exactly what needs to happen.

But as far as I know, all free to play games are heavily multiplayer - I wonder if they can make this kind of thing free-to-play while still having it mainly single player?

They could easily milk money (and piss off GAFfers) by adding in - additional character and pawn character slots. Have more random dungeons to explore - and of course do as they're doing now - add quests with new loot at the end.

New Game + balance mechanics - probably rescale mobs based on your base level upon new game + (to calibrate for the large difference between player completion levels) - with new loot that drops with random affixes - almost turn it into a Diablo style loot game.

One of the things that makes Blizzard games playable for so long and so successful - is because they actually make the effort to tweak and update the game years after launch. There's definetly a sense of newness and novelty after every patch - so I don't see why other companies can't try the same thing in order to stretch out the legs on their games.

I mean the old thinking of: all your sales at the start line is pretty fuckin' busted - and has left room for another industry on top of itself.
I don't remember seeing any ads.

That said it sold well in Japan... it'll depend on what kind of legs it has overseas. NPD for May was abysmal but it did come out late that month, and DD always felt like a game that'll depend on good word of mouth.

Slayven

I saw a few commercials, but they were late at night.

so last night... I logged in after 1.5 weeks away and

had 4x players use my pawn.. with details - never had this before...

and I got 150,000+ RCs.

over the moon. so... going from

• short, black, dreads, childlike

to;

• Tall white. skinny blonde sexy high ponytail witchy looking thing.

netted my a whole lot of crystals!

Noaloha

So... why hasn't this game dropped in price yet? Infact it seems to be more expensive now then before release -.-

Even used copies go for pretty high.

Possibly has at least something to do with the Resi 6 demo code still being valid (ie. the window for using them hasn't started yet).

Goddamn the quests are annoying in this game. I'm doing a second playthrough to try and get platinum, and one of the few quests I needed was the one for the duke's manse. I know before doing that one you gotta trigger the one earlier in the game where Aelinore talks to you outside of the castle. I'm meeting the duke, and skip the cutscene, and then I'm back in the room full of people. Except while exiting out I accidentally slipped and pressed an attack button and hit one of the NPCs. So they send me to jail, and take all of my clothes, including the stupid party hat that is needed to trigger the quest. None of my saves could take me back far enough. Playthrough ruined.

Goddamn the quests are annoying in this game. I'm doing a second playthrough to try and get platinum, and one of the few quests I needed was the one for the duke's manse. I know before doing that one you gotta trigger the one earlier in the game where Aelinore talks to you outside of the castle. I'm meeting the duke, and skip the cutscene, and then I'm back in the room full of people. Except while exiting out I accidentally slipped and pressed an attack button and hit one of the NPCs. So they send me to jail, and take all of my clothes, including the stupid party hat that is needed to trigger the quest. None of my saves could take me back far enough. Playthrough ruined.

When did it checkpoint for "Restore to checkpoint" not working? Aren't those at an Inn and at the Rift only?

Torraz

Where do I place my first
port crystal
. Do I need to go back to
blue moon tower and should I put it back where I found it, or should I move it south to the cassardis/witch wood/encampment area? I am lvl 36 and just killed the griffin for the quest and got rid of my wyrm hunter licence

so last night... I logged in after 1.5 weeks away and

had 4x players use my pawn.. with details - never had this before...

and I got 150,000+ RCs.

over the moon. so... going from

• short, black, dreads, childlike

to;

• Tall white. skinny blonde sexy high ponytail witchy looking thing.

netted my a whole lot of crystals!

Heh, might need to do that too. Got 5 and 15k in crystals from someone who rented my male twice :(.

Reached Post-Game now, anyone willing to throw me some Portcrystals? And how can I pay you for them?

Honestly, you won't need Portcrystals in post-game. Just hang around Everfall and get the loot you need, then start NG+ when you're ready. You can purchase PCs from the Black Cat in NG+ for 200,000G.

Anteater

Where do I place my first
port crystal
. Do I need to go back to
blue moon tower and should I put it back where I found it, or should I move it south to the cassardis/witch wood/encampment area? I am lvl 36 and just killed the griffin for the quest and got rid of my wyrm hunter licence

Heh, might need to do that too. Got 5 and 15k in crystals from someone who rented my male twice :(.

Put it
outside bluemoon tower or wherever close to it (I guess I've never actually tried putting it on top), you will need to go back soon enough, after that you could move it.

desverger

I'm confused a little by this game. I've been doing the escort quests for a few people, but I don't get if there's an actual benefit of doing those quests. Should they be offering me some followups after I've done the escorts or was that it?

Granted, I can only find Barnaby of the ones I've did the escorts (Quina, Mercedes, and that witch were some others), but he doesn't offer me anything.

Anteater

I'm confused a little by this game. I've been doing the escort quests for a few people, but I don't get if there's an actual benefit of doing those quests. Should they be offering me some followups after I've done the escorts or was that it?

Granted, I can only find Barnaby of the ones I've did the escorts (Quina, Mercedes, and that witch were some others), but he doesn't offer me anything.

It only raises your affinity with the npc you escort, some give you rewards but usually nothing too fancy, but it tells you what rewards you're getting before you accept it on the quest board.

The more interesting quests are usually given out by npcs. For the kill and fetch quests you could just pick them all up (check back often) and do them while doing those npc or story quests.

desverger

It only raises your affinity with the npc you escort, some give you rewards but usually nothing too fancy, but it tells you what rewards you're getting before you accept it on the quest board.

The more interesting quests are usually given out by npcs. For the kill and fetch quests you could just pick them all up (check back often) and do them while doing those npc or story quests.

Okay, thanks - I suppose I'll go and see if I can find some of the other NPCs and see if they offer me something.

Torraz

Put it
outside bluemoon tower or wherever close to it (I guess I've never actually tried putting it on top), you will need to go back soon enough, after that you could move it.

Thanks.
You can't put it down in the tower. It needs to be outside.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Quick word of warning for Port Crystal whores like me: You can buy as many as you like, but, you can only place down 10 (11 including the fixed one in GS) before it refuses to allow you to place any more.

Here's where I placed mine:
Pastona Cavern - Just outside of Bluemoon tower
Barta Crags - Just outside the Greatwall Encampment
Seabreeze Trail - Just outside Cassardis
Devilfire Grove* - Just outside of Shadow Fortress
Verda Woodlands* - The camp between Bloodwater Beach & Conqueror's Sanctuary
Northface Forest* - Just above the healing spring by the Blighted Manse rear entrance
Wilted Forest* - NW of the Abbey
Vestad Hills - Just outside of Witchwood
Northface Forest - Hillfigure Knoll

I left one for utility, most of the time remaining in central Deos Hills (by the healing springs) for quick access to Catacombs and Windbluff Tower. There's a strong case to be made for putting it near the Waycastle in Cobal coast though, for access to WaterGod's altar.

Locations marked with asterisks are excellent for escort quests and will pay for themselves rapidly with loot and quest rewards.

i think i only have 6 placed. i'm not sure if i even need more, lol.

for clear:
you can place one just outside the shortcut drop from witchwood. easy access to ww, cass and the encampent. suggested by shockingalberto, i take no credit.

Top Bottom