• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

The mission structure in the game is a mess. You start a quest and it gives you no information to go on. Sometimes waypoints are on the map and sometimes they aren't. Just a confusing mess. I don't have time to figure out that I'm supossed to wait until night to do a quest when nobody tells me otherwise.
Why is the location of the first set of ambush bandits on the map but the rest aren't?
Maybe I'm spoiled by Skyrim. Maybe I'm being impatient, but I'm considering putting this game down for good. I'm loving everything else about the game.
Just do the main quest, mang.

Anteater

Yeah I'm thinking that's what I need to do. Do you guys feel me on this or am I just talking stupid?

Yea it was a mess, it's not dynamic and actually quite linear but they spread them around in a poor way. Even the "encounter" kind of quests you will need to go out of your way to look for them.

I didn't mind it that much though, but they really made things difficult to find on the first playthrough unless you run around between locations a lot.

but yeah just do the quests given to you by maximillion and the duke

maomaoIYP

I just did the
wyrmking
ring quest. Question:
The Duke couldn't open the chest, can I get whatever is in there later?
Also, regarding the Duke's wife:
does her questline affect the ending? I had heard there are multiple endings, but that first quest where she had me thrown in the dungeon left a bad impression, I'd rather leave her to her fate (I'm at the part where she wants me to save her from the northern mansion), but if there is no negative effect on the story, I'll do it

1) Yes. Sneak in at night.
2) No.

WHAAAAT. I didn't know this :-/.

Thanks!

I just did the
wyrmking
ring quest. Question:
The Duke couldn't open the chest, can I get whatever is in there later?
Also, regarding the Duke's wife:
does her questline affect the ending? I had heard there are multiple endings, but that first quest where she had me thrown in the dungeon left a bad impression, I'd rather leave her to her fate (I'm at the part where she wants me to save her from the northern mansion), but if there is no negative effect on the story, I'll do it

Actually doing this quest is very usefull ( and necessary toward platinium ) but be aware that quest will raise her affinity very high toward you so you might be carefull WHEN you do this quest if you aren't intrested in her as a possible romance interest.

The mission structure in the game is a mess. You start a quest and it gives you no information to go on. Sometimes waypoints are on the map and sometimes they aren't. Just a confusing mess. I don't have time to figure out that I'm supossed to wait until night to do a quest when nobody tells me otherwise.
Why is the location of the first set of ambush bandits on the map but the rest aren't?
Maybe I'm spoiled by Skyrim. Maybe I'm being impatient, but I'm considering putting this game down for good. I'm loving everything else about the game.

You're not wrong ..there are defintly some issues toward the quest structurethat will need to be solved in a sequel but it's nothing game breaking . As for that quest , the game give you 4 places for the bandits and asks you to find the last remaining place by yourself ...it's not a bad deal IMO.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So, I'm about 15 hours in. I have a few questions:

Without spoiling anything, should I have already found a means to fast travel? I'm currently:

On my second post-wyrm quest... I believe it's liberating a stronghold.

Also, I had to look at a walkthrough for the
find the mage's book quest
. I couldn't believe that
I had to dress as a woman, and have all of my pawns be women (which is impossible as my pawn is a man) for the bandit leader to talk to me and tell me where the book is. First of all, this is never implied in the quest description. Secondly, the bandits attack on sight. If I didn't look at a walkthrough, I would have been poking around that banding hideout for hours looking for the book. Are a lot of quests this arbitrary?

Chairhome

So, I'm about 15 hours in. I have a few questions:

Without spoiling anything, should I have already found a means to fast travel? I'm currently:

On my second post-wyrm quest... I believe it's liberating a stronghold.

Also, I had to look at a walkthrough for the
find the mage's book quest
. I couldn't believe that
I had to dress as a woman, and have all of my pawns be women (which is impossible as my pawn is a man) for the bandit leader to talk to me and tell me where the book is. First of all, this is never implied in the quest description. Secondly, the bandits attack on sight. If I didn't look at a walkthrough, I would have been poking around that banding hideout for hours looking for the book. Are a lot of quests this arbitrary?

You can buy ferrystones, its the only way to fast travel, and at first, you can only go back to Gran Soren. Kind of a pain. Right now, you can only buy it from Fournival in the Noble district.

For that quest, I
thought I had to kill him to find the book, but it wasn't there. I think I ended up looking on the internet where to find the book :-(. I think if you have a pawn that has done the quest, he/she may tell you where you need to jump if you pass by the spot, but i'm not sure. I think this quest was more of an exception rather than the rule

Portugeezer

I am thoroughly enjoying this game, but what's with the fucked up autosave system and inconsistent saving?

I just lost 45 minutes of gameplay because of this shit, sometimes autosaves every 5 minutes but this time none in 45 minutes, sometimes so frequent you can't even stop a mistake (such as going to jail).

Also, only one save file, possibly the shittest save system in history.

I am thoroughly enjoying this game, but what's with the fucked up autosave system and inconsistent saving?

I just lost 45 minutes of gameplay because of this shit, sometimes autosaves every 5 minutes but this time none in 45 minutes, sometimes so frequent you can't even stop a mistake (such as going to jail).

Also, only one save file, possibly the shittest save system in history.
The save system kind of makes sense in hindsight, but it's still a pain in the ass. You just have to get in the habit of frequently saving manually.

Portugeezer

The save system kind of makes sense in hindsight, but it's still a pain in the ass. You just have to get in the habit of frequently saving manually.

I need to get into the habit (though manual save is annoyingly slow at times), but this game gets me used to the frequent autosave, then fucks over 45 minutes of exploring and levelling up by not autosaving.

All it takes is a random death, which can happen often in this game.

I need to get into the habit (though manual save is annoyingly slow at times), but this game gets me used to the frequent autosave, then fucks over 45 minutes of exploring and levelling up by not autosaving.

All it takes is a random death, which can happen often in this game.

Save often when in the wild ... that's not hard to do ... the game saves ONLY when something worthwhile has been done or during INN/RIFTS.. that systeme make sense because of progressions and no return points those aren't lebelled Checkpoints for nothing

Yeah I'm thinking that's what I need to do. Do you guys feel me on this or am I just talking stupid?

just clear the most accessible quests and explore the world, that's what i did in my first playthrough. there are a couple of quests that i missed or could not finish on my own, but in the end, those were just 5-7 quest in the whole game. it's not that much.

Dead

well not really...yet
Man, nothing ever sold me on this game until I actually played it. Got it Saturday and Ive been obsessed. So fucking amazing. This might be the best job any game has ever done at making me feel immersed in this sort of medieval/fantasy landscape.

Coming upon some huge ass monster and battling it to the death with all the cinematic moments, and climbing on that mofo's back is such an amazing feeling.

also: aught, aught, aught, aught, aught, aught, aught!

The mission system is wonky as hell. They could stand to give you some feedback as to the relative difficulty of the mission, the region, etc.

Still having a lot of fun with it and, at my current level, everything is a challenge if I don't gameplan my approach. Though sometimes my pawns do their best to foul up what I'm trying to do. I wouldn't mind being able to give slightly more specific commands to them.

Do the stats on a magical weapon attack directly?

For example is a 130+185 weapon better then a 296+0 one or is there some kind of formula?

BeeDog

Do the stats on a magical weapon attack directly?

For example is a 130+185 weapon better then a 296+0 one or is there some kind of formula?

It all depends on if the enemy in question is weak against magic or a specific element (e.g. holy magic, dark magic etc.). Generally you will want to have a weapon with both a high base attack and a high magic damage stat, since they often work the best.

Portugeezer

I got a level 58 pawn when I was like level 9 early in the game, is this normal?

All the rest seem to be my level when I go to Rift.

Needless to say this pawn is badass, it was a mage too which I needed as my main pawn is a warrior.

It all depends on if the enemy in question is weak against magic or a specific element (e.g. holy magic, dark magic etc.). Generally you will want to have a weapon with both a high base attack and a high magic damage stat, since they often work the best.

Well yes, I realize there's the issue of enemies having magic defences/weaknesses, but on a base enemy with no special defences/weakness, will it do more damage since 130+185 > 296? Or is it not that direct?

I got a level 58 pawn when I was like level 9 early in the game, is this normal?

All the rest seem to be my level when I go to Rift.

It was probably a friends pawn, those usually have priority when showing up on the rift.

There aught be a way to see whose it is?

Friends pawns have small icon with two people. You can also see the pawns details too see which PSN ID it belongs .

I just got 47,000 RC from someone that used my own... That's like... ALOT o0

Does that mean he used it for a long time?

The mission system is wonky as hell. They could stand to give you some feedback as to the relative difficulty of the mission, the region, etc.

Definitely this - they could at least have some sort of way to show the threat levels of the various enemies you encounter in relation to your current level.

Personally though, I haven't found it to be much of a problem recently - I'm level 35 at the moment, and most missions have become a cakewalk.

I just got 47,000 RC from someone that used my own... That's like... ALOT o0

Does that mean he used it for a long time?

Yeah, I think so - he must have stuck with your pawn for a long while.

I haven't changed pawns for about 20 levels or so, lol.

Personally though, I haven't found it to be much of a problem recently - I'm level 35 at the moment, and most missions have become a cakewalk.
I'm level 17 and things are starting to become a bit easier but definitely not a cakewalk yet.

I've been rotating my pawns as I level to keep them my level or higher.

LogicStep

You guys should use my pawn! He's a badass warrior and his name is Brock. He likes kittens and walks by the beach during a sunset. :) Send me a fr if you want to use him for free. Strife85

He is level 53

Iztli

I just bought this game yesterday and...........................

the greatest RPG I have ever played!!!

*foams at mouth*

Just finished the Griffin quest... only problem was, I had already killed 3 of those, the entire quest was a bit silly after that. Once I got to the final spot he dropped dead in like 10 seconds lol

I'm playing this game all wrong, and its all Capcoms fault

Just finished the Griffin quest... only problem was, I had already killed 3 of those, the entire quest was a bit silly after that. Once I got to the final spot he dropped dead in like 10 seconds lol

No it's great .. you hsould break the game mecanics in all ways possible ... that's also part of the fun ...

Just don't expect story coherence

LogicStep

Damnit, your own equipment shouldn't count towards your carrying weight. I changed to MK and wearing full plate and now I'm so slow. :(

I was assassin for most of my characters life, that should be a good base for a MK right? Hope it's ok at least.

Finally hitting my groove now, methinks.

Exploring is a lot of fun. Found some kind of temple behind a waterfall and cleaned it out. Then went on my merry way taking down bandits, goblins, and hobgoblins until I got sandwiched by a dragon and an ogre in some woods- tried to get a piece of the dragon, thought the better of it, and high-tailed it out of there. Stumbled into a campsite by surprise. Unloaded gear, rested, saved, and called it a night. Fun times.

GorillaJu

Damnit, your own equipment shouldn't count towards your carrying weight. I changed to MK and wearing full plate and now I'm so slow. :(

I was assassin for most of my characters life, that should be a good base for a MK right? Hope it's ok at least.

Actually sorcerer would be the ideal base as MK is mostly magic damage. It really doesnt matter though

Anteater

Doesn't really matter, you could pretty much solo the entire game on MK if you were to use the assassin's bloodlust/autonomy, since they give both magic and physical stats and both are 70% or something, your stats will be in the thousands.

Yeah, finished the Griffin quest the other night and ...well I killed the damn thing like 8 times in the demo alone =/

Also, where the fuck is this story going and how much longer do I have?

Starting to get fatigued

Btw, have you guys seen this art book? (Japan)

BOSlT.jpg

vg260

Haven't been in here much. I just finished the main storyline, and I thought that was it, but it looks like there's still a ton to do. New tougher monsters and all. How much game is left? I was mocking easy mode, but all of a sudden the monsters put up a fight.

LogicStep

Doesn't really matter, you could pretty much solo the entire game on MK if you were to use the assassin's bloodlust/autonomy, since they give both magic and physical stats and both are 70% or something, your stats will be in the thousands.
That's true. I'm probably going to try going solo to see how that goes.

I guess I need to be really high level to do what I saw someone do online. Saw a video of a MK destroy offline ur like nobodies business. I'm only level 59 so maybe that's why? But I dunno, maybe I should stick to assassin since I was that for 90% of my levels. What do you think?

man of science

Neo Member
I switched from MK to MA and I'm not liking it. Currently level 4. Is regeneration worth leveling up for or should I just switch to Assassin now? Left MK because of weak ranged.

Top Bottom