• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Btw, have you guys seen this art book? (Japan)

BOSlT.jpg

preview copy? looks promising.

Portugeezer

I just fought against the
cockatrice.
I'm still loving this game immensely! <3

Haha, so true. The game has this one specific texture that looks really good.

It's beautiful, this game looks really good at certain times, but then not so much (I don't think MT Framework engine was really optimised for open world games)

I just got the game yesterday and I'm interested in knowing some stuff, but looking at FAQs (and extensively through threads) really kind of hurts the enjoyment for me, so I have some directed questions. Note that if I 'spoil' anything it's from the first 45 minutes and I'm sure everyone in this thread still is further along than that...

Pawns: I don't fully understand this. I got one guy named "Rook" at the start of the game. Then I did a couple of things and the game had me MAKE another one by answering some questions, let's call her "Bishop." Then I ran into one in the first town and accidentally hired her, so let's call her "Knight."

1. It seems when I go to spend skills, I only get to use them for 'Bishop'--why is this?
  2. Which pawns can I fire?
  3. How many can I have?
  4. Can I create more than just 'Bishop' or do I have to recruit them from the fade/world?

Slightly more in depth:

Party balance wise--I'm playing a fighter and will be going sword and board.

1. Ideally, I'd like to have a trinity party with me tanking, 'Bishop' doing the healing/buffing, and then the other one or two (still don't know how many are in my party total) doing DPS. Is this feasible?
  2. How do I control whether a mage is a healer or a nuker?
  3. How do I control whether my other physical damage companions go melee or ranged?
  4. Is there a place where I can actively define tactics (similar to FFXII or even Dragon Age)? I know the d-pad is used for orders, but it seems super rudimentary: Left AND Right are 'help' and up and down are follow and stay... This doesn't seem like tactics to me.

Dresden

I just got the game yesterday and I'm interested in knowing some stuff, but looking at FAQs (and extensively through threads) really kind of hurts the enjoyment for me, so I have some directed questions. Note that if I 'spoil' anything it's from the first 45 minutes and I'm sure everyone in this thread still is further along than that...

Pawns: I don't fully understand this. I got one guy named "Rook" at the start of the game. Then I did a couple of things and the game had me MAKE another one by answering some questions, let's call her "Bishop." Then I ran into one in the first town and accidentally hired her, so let's call her "Knight."

1. It seems when I go to spend skills, I only get to use them for 'Bishop'--why is this?
  2. Which pawns can I fire?
  3. How many can I have?
  4. Can I create more than just 'Bishop' or do I have to recruit them from the fade/world?

Slightly more in depth:

Party balance wise--I'm playing a fighter and will be going sword and board.

1. Ideally, I'd like to have a trinity party with me tanking, 'Bishop' doing the healing/buffing, and then the other one or two (still don't know how many are in my party total) doing DPS. Is this feasible?
  2. How do I control whether a mage is a healer or a nuker?
  3. How do I control whether my other physical damage companions go melee or ranged?
  4. Is there a place where I can actively define tactics (similar to FFXII or even Dragon Age)? I know the d-pad is used for orders, but it seems super rudimentary: Left AND Right are 'help' and up and down are follow and stay... This doesn't seem like tactics to me.
1. "Bishop" is your main pawn, and the only one you can customize and level up. The other pawns you hire are the pawns of other players.
2. The two pawns you can hire other than Biship, can also be 'fired.'
3. 3 in total for a party of four, including yourself and "Bishop."
4. Bishop is the only one you create, the rest, you will have to hire from the rift.

---

1. Yes, that setup is very viable and popular.
2. Inclinations come into play, but at this point the easiest way is to just set your mage as Mage or Sorceror. Sorcerors cannot heal.
3. Weapons and class, really.
4. There's a chair in the Inns where you can 'chat' with your pawns to change their AI/Inclinations. You can also purchases items that change things. Generally, avoid the Guardian trait.

1. "Bishop" is your main pawn, and the only one you can customize and level up. The other pawns you hire are the pawns of other players.
2. The two pawns you can hire other than Biship, can also be 'fired.'
3. 3 in total for a party of four, including yourself and "Bishop."
4. Bishop is the only one you create, the rest, you will have to hire from the rift.

---

1. Yes, that setup is very viable and popular.
2. Inclinations come into play, but at this point the easiest way is to just set your mage as Mage or Sorceror. Sorcerors cannot heal.
3. Weapons and class, really.
4. There's a chair in the Inns where you can 'chat' with your pawns to change their AI/Inclinations. You can also purchases items that change things. Generally, avoid the Guardian trait.

Thanks a ton. This will help much.

Also, I believe that, for example with mages, if you hit left of right for Help they will buff you. At least out of combat.

Ya, they do. But I don't really understand why 'help' is bound to two different directions. Is there a reason for this--like, is hitting left help different than right help?

Portugeezer

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!! That giant bird thing (the bird one, not lion thingy) flew away with like 1% health left on the final health bar... second time it has flown away, any help?

I recruited a higher level pawn to help me out next time.

Ya, they do. But I don't really understand why 'help' is bound to two different directions. Is there a reason for this--like, is hitting left help different than right help?

Not from what I have noticed. But yeah, one should be for heeling one should be for aiding attack I suppose. I don't understand what "Go" is for, seems they do less every time I use it.

I started playing this game this past weekend. My guy is level 23 (Becky) and so far I've been running around the outside world killing things and exploring. I went to a castle west of the main town that was surrounded by bandits and also to a castle that was closed off to me because of some curse. I killed some trolls, some chimera, a bunch of wolves and bandits. My main quest has me having to kill something at the bottom of the pawn guild.

From what I'm seeing so far, this game is incredibly shallow and isn't offering anything to keep me going. The landscape is very boring looking and the enemies I've encountered so far haven't been challenging or interesting. It's either been swarm me or hit me hard, one of those two "challenges".

Has my experience with the game so far been just because I haven't gotten to the "click" part of the game? I'm having difficulty seeing what everyone is enthusiastic about right now. I've already bought DLC. I'm invested in the game prior to this evaluation. Help me out here.

that is really a problem ..for me too .. i wish i could have a help me ( attack ) and a help me ( buff/recover )

I started playing this game this past weekend. My guy is level 23 (Becky) and so far I've been running around the outside world killing things and exploring. I went to a castle west of the main town that was surrounded by bandits and also to a castle that was closed off to me because of some curse. I killed some trolls, some chimera, a bunch of wolves and bandits. My main quest has me having to kill something at the bottom of the pawn guild.

From what I'm seeing so far, this game is incredibly shallow and isn't offering anything to keep me going. The landscape is very boring looking and the enemies I've encountered so far haven't been challenging or interesting. It's either been swarm me or hit me hard, one of those two "challenges".

Has my experience with the game so far been just because I haven't gotten to the "click" part of the game? I'm having difficulty seeing what everyone is enthusiastic about right now. I've already bought DLC. I'm invested in the game prior to this evaluation. Help me out here.

Instead of following the main quest ( go at the bottom of the pawn guild ) you've went to explore but most things are blocked and most of the quest aren't active ( since story hasn't progressed ) ... by now you should either

-try another class if you're bored .
-try to advance the Main quest a little to see more quest appear
-try to play with less pawn to increase the challenge

it should "click" as DD is really a game where you can experiment various way to take down ennemies

PS : the landscape is actually quite varied but you can't see that now

Portugeezer

No game is for everyone, but it's shallow compared to what?

Chairhome

Man, I was hoping for a portcrystal at the Greatwall. I hope I don't have to come back, haha.
just finished the "Deny Salvation" quest

I'm going to avoid side quests now since I just started the "Final Battle" quest and I want to finish it up quickly (with the intent of coming back and playing around after beating it sometime, cause the game is awesome). I'm around Level 43, hopefully I'm strong enough to start this quest now.

Also, thanks to whoever told me that you can mash buttons on hundred kisses and use it when climbing, made a huge difference! I'll add that I found out you can do the same thing with Cutting Wind. Very effective and it looks cool too. Makes you feel like a ninja.

Can you only post screenshots to your facebook account? I want to share pics but I'm not keen on posting to my account everytime i want to take a screenshot.

Also, thanks to whoever told me that you can mash buttons on hundred kisses and use it when climbing, made a huge difference! I'll add that I found out you can do the same thing with Cutting Wind. Very effective and it looks cool too. Makes you feel like a ninja.
You can also do it with the Assassin's Gouge ability.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
You can also do it with the Assassin's Gouge ability.

I can't believe that people played through the game only using hundred kisses, cutting wind and gouge as single shot uses. Cutting wind seems....well... basically pointless without the extra 3/4 slices after the initial hit. So strange to me that someone could not accidentally find that out the first time they give the moves a try. but then of course... some people play assassin for 110 levels... some dont.

On a non-assassin high note.... I got basically every female bandit that chills inside the fort caught in a single maelstrom. Pictures of 8 girls flopping through the air and then the aftermath (all lined up like skinned ducks on the floor... same position, same pose) is something I will carry with me. Forever. :p

So, pawns:

Aside from my main pawn, will I need to keep recruiting new pawns throughout the game, or will mine level with me? I'm not certain I understand this system.

Chairhome

So, pawns:

Aside from my main pawn, will I need to keep recruiting new pawns throughout the game, or will mine level with me? I'm not certain I understand this system.

They will not level. You should swap them out when you outgrow them. Its a good system to let you not overdevelop someone's pawn, and so you have to try other pawns and build their quest knowledge up.

Portugeezer

So, pawns:

Your main pawn levels with you, other pawns don't level up. You can recruit pawns of your level for free or for the cost of some RC if they're higher level than you (which you might want to do for taking down some big monsters which appear every now and then).

So, pawns:

Only your pawn levels up, the other ones you should dismiss as soon as you feel they are no help. It encourages people to try out other pawns on a regular basis, otherwise no one would get ratings from people using their pawns.

They will not level. You should swap them out when you outgrow them. Its a good system to let you not overdevelop someone's pawn, and so you have to try other pawns and build their quest knowledge up.

Your main pawn levels with you, other pawns don't level up. You can recruit pawns of your level for free or for the cost of some RC if they're higher level than you (which you might want to do for taking down some big monsters which appear every now and then).

Only your pawn levels up, the other ones you should dismiss as soon as you feel they are no help. It encourages people to try out other pawns on a regular basis, otherwise no one would get ratings from people using their pawns.

Ratings? Man, I am seriously barely scratching the surface. This is neat. So I constantly go out and recruit new party members? That doesn't sound bad--I just didn't know that was the system!

Are the ones that are just wandering around in towns also 'other people's' pawns or do I have to go to the rift to get those ones?

When mine occasionally comes back and brings me shit, that's because someone else was using it in their own game?

Bananas.

Dresden

Ratings? Man, I am seriously barely scratching the surface. This is neat. So I constantly go out and recruit new party members? That doesn't sound bad--I just didn't know that was the system!

Are the ones that are just wandering around in towns also 'other people's' pawns or do I have to go to the rift to get those ones?

When mine occasionally comes back and brings me shit, that's because someone else was using it in their own game?

Bananas.

1. Yeah, you want to keep recruiting new pawns as they won't level with you. Remember that you can set some pawns as favorites if they're good, too, so you can rehire easily as you go.

2. I believe the ones that wander are the pawns of other people as well, not certain though. I did all my hiring in the rift.

3. Yep. Releasing a pawn gives you the option to rate/comment/gift them for their troubles.

1. Yeah, you want to keep recruiting new pawns as they won't level with you. Remember that you can set some pawns as favorites if they're good, too, so you can rehire easily as you go.

2. I believe the ones that wander are the pawns of other people as well, not certain though. I did all my hiring in the rift.

3. Yep. Releasing a pawn gives you the option to rate/comment/gift them for their troubles.

o_O

Conceptually, this game is neat.

What's the point of marking them as a favorite if they don't level? Or do they level in their own game and then I can grab them depending on whether I like their growth?

Yes they are. Infact sometimes I come across a pawn I used in the past and really enjoyed it, and it's funny seeing how they progressed, it's like meeting an old friend,

Not always, the game sometimes "fakes it". When another "real person" used your pawn you get alot more rift points and it tells you the PSN ID of who used it as well as the rating he gave your pawn. Sometimes a message too. Also if your pawn did some new quest with that person, or fought some new foes, it will gain knowledge about those quests/foes and tell you about it.

Next time you do a quest that your pawn already did with someone else, it will tell you things about it or just take the lead when trying to find a location.

o_O

Conceptually, this game is neat.

What's the point of marking them as a favorite if they don't level? Or do they level in their own game and then I can grab them depending on whether I like their growth?
They don't level with you, but even though you are using someone else pawn, the owner of the pawn is using it as well at the same time, (since you can never be without your main pawn), and the next time they go to sleep, their pawn updates on the server. So if you release that same pawn, and try to look for it again on the rift right away, it might be at an higher level already.

Think of it as you actually using clones of the pawns instead of the actual pawn it self.

Yes they are. Infact sometimes I come across a pawn I used in the past and really enjoyed it, and it's funny seeing how they progressed, it's like meeting an old friend,

Not always, the game sometimes "fakes it". When another "real person" used your pawn you get alot more rift points and it tells you the PSN ID of who used it as well as the rating he gave your pawn. Sometimes a message too. Also if your pawn did some new quest with that person, or fought some new foes, it will gain knowledge about those quests/foes and tell you about it.

Next time you do a quest that your pawn already did with someone else, it will tell you things about it or just take the lead when trying to find a location.

They don't level with you, but even though you are using someone else pawn, the owner of the pawn is using it as well at the same time, (since you can never be without your main pawn), and the next time they go to sleep, their pawn updates on the server. So if you release that same pawn, and try to look for it again on the rift right away, it might be at an higher level already.

Think of it as you actually using clones of the pawns instead of the actual pawn it self.

I like this game.

...the game sometimes "fakes it".
I was wondering about that.

Finished the Shadow Fort quest- fun times. 2/3rds through, lost my healer pawn which made the last third a bit dicier than I'd anticipated.

Once I got back to town, I switched my pawn from strider to ranger and gave her a wolf's head cowl I found to wear. Now to get her some ranger xp...

I really like that the game lets me do things mostly the way i want to instead of forcing me into a certain mechanic.

Portugeezer

I try to make my female pawn look like a slut so more people use her, so far every time I play she brings me shit, almost every time I rest at an inn infact.

Is this normal for you guys?

I try to make my female pawn look like a slut so more people use her, so far every time I play she brings me shit, almost every time I rest at an inn infact.

Do you get a PSN ID as well? The fake gifts can be pretty random, sometimes I get two in a row, another times I need to sleep 10 times.

No lol. I try to keep it classy. I might have hired your pawn and sent her back with a rotten fish, 1 star appearance rating and a comment that says "seems a bit trite"

Portugeezer

Do you get a PSN ID as well? The fake gifts can be pretty random, sometimes I get two in a row, another times I need to sleep 10 times.

Sometimes (though I'm on Xbox), I didn't know they did fake gifts, WTF is that?

No lol. I try to keep it classy. I might have hired your pawn and sent her back with a rotten fish, 1 star appearance rating and a comment that says "seems a bit trite"
I stopped today, because she was getting too shit at high levels with skimpy armor (she got big booty/hips/breasts and I tried to leave as much skin shown).

i'm currently doing a mage/sorcerer run ATM and i have trouble to properly target what partof the monster i want to target .. any tips ?( using right stick to move the camera is what i use )

Sometimes (though I'm on Xbox), I didn't know they did fake gifts, WTF is that?

Sometimes the game will tell you your pawn just came back from helping another player even though it actually didn't, it's just the game feeling sorry for you and giving you some shitty item and some rift points.

Portugeezer

I must have missed this during the tutorial, but when one of my pawns grabs an enemy and they yell for my to strike or whatever, is there a button I press? Because when that ends the enemy frees itself, I never have time to walk over and kill an enemy.

I must have missed this during the tutorial, but when one of my pawns grabs an enemy and they yell for my to strike or whatever, is there a button I press? Because when that ends the enemy frees itself, I never have time to walk over and kill an enemy.
I think you can just hit them with whatever attack you want. At least that's what I've been doing and it's worked out okay for me.

Nobody grabbed in my 40+ hours past the opening dungeon. I forgot all about the feature.

well, i beat the
dragon now and before the fight there was this awkward beared guy who was turtored by goblins. the dragon talked about mankind and stuff and made an offer to either beat the crap out of him or to sacrifice my beloved. i thought he ment mankind. however, after the fight there was that guy again and he started kissing my hero in the bonfire.
my friends and i were just laughing for minutes.

well, i beat the
dragon now and before the fight there was this awkward beared guy who was turtored by goblins. the dragon talked about mankind and stuff and made an offer to either beat the crap out of him or to sacrifice my beloved. i thought he ment mankind. however, after the fight there was that guy again and he started kissing my hero in the bonfire.
It's really silly. It's like the dev saw other games do romance options but have no clue how to do it themselves. You say hello to someone once and at the end of the game you're married to them all of a sudden.

Chairhome

It's really silly. It's like the dev saw other games do romance options but have no clue how to do it themselves. You say hello to someone once and at the end of the game you're married to them all of a sudden.

Thank goodness I did that Elinore quest.

I just beat the Dragon, too, and
wow, there's still more game! I'm actually pretty excited. Got my butt kicked but still was able to make it to the first encampment, killing a few of the new goblins, some black wolves and a gorechimera. I kind of spoiled myself a little and saw what the next part entails, and I'm stoked. Did not expect this. I was kind of rushing it cause I plan on starting Sleeping Dogs next week, but this was a nice surprise.

maomaoIYP

i'm currently doing a mage/sorcerer run ATM and i have trouble to properly target what partof the monster i want to target .. any tips ?( using right stick to move the camera is what i use )

Click on the RS when casting to lock on to a specific target. You can also click on the LS when casting for free aim.

well, i beat the
Awkward bearded guy? Please tell me it was Caxton.

Mutombo

Just switched to Magick Archer (was Warrior then Assasin before). I'm liking it so far (the half hour that I went outside with a couple of skills).

I've got a question though, I've got a dragon forged kunai and the Dragon's pain daggers. I've read somewhere that the MA stacks magical damage instead of strength damage? Does that mean the Kunai are better than dragon's pain?

Cheers cheers.

Is there a reason to change? What does increasing your vocation of a specific rank do, is it just to allow you to use better weapons?

Each vocation has ranks
As your rank increases, you unlock more skills/core skills/augments from that specific vocation.

Your character level will allow you to use better wpns:
Using a wpn higher than your level will use up more stamina when attacking (idk how much of a diff though)
Using a wpn equal or lower than your level will use the regular amount of stamina. I'm not sure if less stamina is consumed as the wpn level is lower (aka weaker).

Portugeezer

Each vocation has ranks
As your rank increases, you unlock more skills/core skills/augments from that specific vocation.

Using a wpn higher than your level will use up more stamina when attacking (idk how much of a diff though)
Using a wpn equal or lower than your level will use the regular amount of stamina. I'm not sure if less stamina is consumed as the wpn level is lower (aka weaker).

About the skills, will my character always be able to use them even if I then change the vocation?

I.e. I change to warrior and unlock some skills, change back to strider and be able to use warrior skills?

Each vocation has ranks

Are you sure about those two? You don't use any stamina at all for using weapons outside of skills, and those seem to always use the same.

Each vocation has ranks

Wait what? Weapons don't have level requirements and regular attacks don't consume stamina.

Top Bottom