• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

So, I'm like level 16 or so and I keep getting killed by this ogre in a mine near the first city you go to. I can get him almost dead, but then he one shots me. =|

Any tips on ogre killing? What are they weak to? What tactics do you use to kill them?

So, I'm like level 16 or so and I keep getting killed by this ogre in a mine near the first city you go to. I can get him almost dead, but then he one shots me. =|

Any tips on ogre killing? What are they weak to? What tactics do you use to kill them?

Killing an Ogre at lvl 16 will be hard, but if you can bring some Dragonspits/fireblasts or explosive arrows if you use a bow. Only use them when they get angered, no point in wasting them before it since you can damaged them the normal way at that point.

Killing an Ogre at lvl 16 will be hard, but if you can bring some Dragonspits/fireblasts or explosive arrows if you use a bow. Only use them when they get angered, no point in wasting them before it since you can damaged them the normal way at that point.

Oh, well, if it'll be hard at 16, I'll just wait. =D

I'm now trying to figure out the best party mix for myself. I am teasing with the idea of going mystic knight and then having my pawn go as sorcerer. So many choices...

Portugeezer

I just shoot arrows in their eyes, let my pawns do the gritty work (though throughout most of the game I'm using a friends pawn which is level 54 mage).

Got the game a couple days ago due to reading through this thread a bit lol and man is it fun. I'm currently a level 25/or 26 do quite remember strider/ranger. Not sure which I like more yet. Still wanna check out the assassin eventually as well! Though as a strider there's this one skill, that seems totally unuseable, its the one that's like volley but it suppose to explode into a bunch of mini expolosion when it hits the ground, thing is there's no way to tell where you're aiming, like with volley and sometimes it explodes in the air for no reason. Doing something wrong here??

Also, I only have one other friend who has the game and he seems to have beat the game along time ago.(main pawn's name was Jesus at level 134) So if anyone would being willing to add meh, Kotd, would be pretty coolio!

Dresden

Just let your pawns take the hits, and revive them continously. The only really dangerous move they do is that jump-slide-kick they do.

You can also loop ogres into doing their backslam animation by climbing up on them before leaping off as they begin their jump.

Portugeezer

The first one I encountered in the catacombs actually fell off the side after it ran around when I climbed on it's back, I got the XP for that lol.

Got the game a couple days ago due to reading through this thread a bit lol and man is it fun. I'm currently a level 25/or 26 do quite remember strider/ranger. Not sure which I like more yet. Still wanna check out the assassin eventually as well! Though as a strider there's this one skill, that seems totally unuseable, its the one that's like volley but it suppose to explode into a bunch of mini expolosion when it hits the ground, thing is there's no way to tell where you're aiming, like with volley and sometimes it explodes in the air for no reason. Doing something wrong here??

Also, I only have one other friend who has the game and he seems to have beat the game along time ago.(main pawn's name was Jesus at level 134) So if anyone would being willing to add meh, Kotd, would be pretty coolio!

It's the same for me, I think it's meant to be like that, it always travels the same distance so you can get used to where it lands.

Xero

Picked it up the other day. Loving it. So welcome me to the fold. I should mess around with the screen shot thing, to get a shot of my pawn.

Portugeezer

Ugh, the back tracking is getting to me now, mainly because my dude is always heavy/very heavy.

I use the stone thingy, but can't I get it for other areas?

Picked it up the other day. Loving it. So welcome me to the fold. I should mess around with the screen shot thing, to get a shot of my pawn.
Sure, let us see.

Booted up the game recently, the DLC's The Chosen and Challenger worth the bucks?

None of them are worth it, IMO.

All you get is this lame armor:

470546_254164721355934_1849731840_o.jpg

BeeDog

Goddamn, now I only have the most boring trophies left; recruiting 70 pawns and finding 350 pieces of equipment.

Is there a good Excel sheet for the equipment one? I'd love to cross off the shit I have.

Goddamn, now I only have the most boring trophies left; recruiting 70 pawns and finding 350 pieces of equipment.

Is there a good Excel sheet for the equipment one? I'd love to cross off the shit I have.

What I did for the equipment Trophy was buy one of everything again from every vendor that sells equipment. I couldn't be bothered to track down everything I had in storage or previously owned. Btw, any equipment you've sold will still count towards the Trophy - just letting you know that you don't need 350 pieces of equipment in storage.

Portugeezer

So a pawn I'd been using for a while died, I think he fell off a cliff into water or something, is there a way to review the pawn/give items to the owner? It's still higher level than me and I don't want to pay RC.

Anteater

Wait what? Weapons don't have level requirements and regular attacks don't consume stamina.

I heard higher level weapons/armors on a low level character will consume more stamina when you use special attacks, but I have no idea how that works since the game doesn't really tell you, so if someone gift you an item from post game, you won't be using it effectively on a low level.

From what I read anyway, I don't know if it's true

Yuterald

So, after 70 long hours I finally finished the game yesterday for the first time. The ending sequences were incredibly cool. The overarching plot in Dragon's Dogma has been done many times before, but they certainly did it extremely well in this game. The credits were amazing too, like Okami-level good. This was such an awesome game now that I look back on it. Its got such a truly genuine feel to it. I used to be a HUGE fan of everything Capcom back in the day. PS2 days and below, they were one of my favorite companies growing up. I'm really not too happy with the company as of late (for various obvious reasons), but I gotta say that they struck the right chords with me on this one.

You know, not to derail the thread too much, but I feel somewhat frustrated by how legitimately good this game is. I wish I could feel the same way about all of Capcom's games and decisions as of late, but I can't. I hate how there's no synergy at that company any more. It sucks that once in a blue moon we get a genuinely, heartfelt game like Dragon's Dogma while at the same time they are feeding as shit like Ninja Theory's DmC. Why can't I have a cool Japanese internal Devil May Cry game to go along with this? For me, it's impossible to feel good about liking their games because of all the nonsense that surrounds them (outsourcing, shady/disrespectful PR, etc.) I know I should look at each title on a game by game basis and that it's not good to attach yourself to a company, but still. I WAS attached to this company back in the day and it felt good to talk about and purchase their products. Now I feel almost embarrassed to support their games and say that I "like Capcom". I don't know, I guess I'm just in that "old man" mood.

Oh well. Anyway, I'd be totally down for a sequel to this game (as long as they don't outsource it). They can certainly do a lot more with this formula!

Chairhome

Was that the chamber with two chimeras and wights summoning hellhounds? That was awesome.

Yeah. F*** that. Haha. I'm only level 50, gave it a try a few times, then stopped. When I respawned, the second encounter that is possible kept coming up
Drake and harpies
which was also too much for me.

Chairhome

Final fight was easy, but pretty cool. Lots of framerate drops there, too.

Loved the ending, and the game was great. Hope I get a chance to NG+ sometime in the future, but for now, the backlog continues.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
On my 2nd playthrough as an Assassin I did not know about the whole epic battle sequences on the Bluemoon Tower against the griffin........

I was pretty surprised myself due to that. My first playthrough as Magick Archer I pelted it with so many Explosive Bolts and struck it silly, resulting in a very fast kill it didn't even have a chance to flee to Bluemoon Tower so the fight ended at the first location, hahahahahaha.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Hey chaps, I just got DD and am really liking the feel of it so far.

One question: I know you can customise your main pawn, but when are you supposed to do this? I'm stuck with generic-McRedbeard mage, and if someone's gonna be following me around chatting inanely, I wouldn't mind a spritely young female to do it instead.

I've only just reached the next town (where the Rift stone talks to you). Have I missed the opportunity or merely overlooked something?

Thanks for the help. I won't be frequenting this thread too much, as I really look forward to the exploration and discovery aspect of the game - not gonna fret over skipping areas or unlocking trophies, at least until after the first playthrough.

Really looking forward to getting stuck in, though! I never manage to get into things like Skyrim, but I'm a massive fan of Monster Hunter, the Souls series and high fantasy in general. This looks like it could be the latest fix I need!

you can customise your main pawn after you'll prove your worth by doing what's expected of you (what's said by the rift stone ) ...

After this , you'll get your pawn AND the pawn guild support ( you'll be able to hire them )

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome! Many thanks for the quick reply!

It's time to prove my worth by doing what is expected of me and do what needs to be done and defeat the enemies.

stolin

Just finished up the game and earned the Platinum Trophy (my 34th). Play time was 95 hours. First play through with Fighter & Warrior was 65 hours, Level 49. 2nd round was with Strider & Ranger about 30 hours, Level 70.

I enjoyed the 2nd round much more, just knowing the world and going for The Hero Trophy it was great to "know" what the cutoff points were for chapters.

I really liked the NG+, Post-Game, + Everfall sections. Almost Dragon Quest relevant for me.

I enjoyed the pawn system. I just wish I could issue some commands aside from physical "go there". I think using L1 & R1 with the DPad to issue specific Pawn commands would have been awesome.

Ur Dragon fight was done offline, it took like 12 rounds.. so slow with Ranger, the wings were really boring with arrows.

This is a great new series, Demon/Dark Souls quality franchise for me. I really want a sequel. Tighten up some of the jank and stream the story. I'm not sure if I'll play again, I guess if I started NG++ then I'd just hunt the Everfall
then hunt Ur Dragon in online mode.

vg260

Should I even bother fighting the UR-dragon in the first playthrough? I'm a lvl 55-ish Assassin. I juts went to him for the first time and he has about 3.5 bars last night, but I was doing almost no damage.

Any ideas how long it takes for people to whittle him down to almost nothing?

Edit: Dang. He's done. Missed my chance. It he easier to beat offline/not connected?

deim0s

Should I even bother fighting the UR-dragon in the first playthrough? I'm a lvl 55-ish Assassin. I juts went to him for the first time and he has about 3.5 bars last night, but I was doing almost no damage.

Any ideas how long it takes for people to whittle him down to almost nothing?

Edit: Dang. He's done. Missed my chance. It he easier to beat offline/not connected?

Kisses with the dagger while clinging would do wonders.

Yes, offline is much easier to kill.

Portugeezer

Can you use the 300,000G arrow to kill it (forgot the name) in one hit?

Also, lol how this game makes you go to the bluemoon tower twice in quick succession, 'tis not a quick journey and they don't expect you to leave the portcrystal there the first time do they?

So much backtracking, but hey at least the treasure chests respawn and you can keep getting cool stuff wherever you go.

Can you use the 300,000G arrow to kill it (forgot the name) in one hit?

Also, lol how this game makes you go to the bluemoon tower twice in quick succession, 'tis not a quick journey and they don't expect you to leave the portcrystal there the first time do they?

So much backtracking, but hey at least the treasure chests respawn and you can keep getting cool stuff wherever you go.

i'm 72 hours in and i only went once to blue moon tower ( currently doing my NG+ run )..

It seems i missed something ... why do you have to go there twice ? some friends talked about a griffin ..is it a quest ?

Portugeezer

i'm 72 hours in and i only went once to blue moon tower ( currently doing my NG+ run )..

It seems i missed something ... why do you have to go there twice ? some friends talked about a griffin ..is it a quest ?

Yeah one quest was killing a griffin, you chase it, then it runs off to bluemoon tower and you go kill it.
Second time I went was to chase a sorcerer who stole something from the castle, this was after that rich guy had a trial; I gave all the good stuff, so he was found not guilty and I get discounts

These were quests given from the castle, so I assume main quests. Did you do all the Ser Maxamillius quests before going inside the castle, might have been one of those but I don't remember now?

Xero

I wish a bit more was revealed to you through in game tutorials. I was wondering why my warrior chick would barely attack anything even when I told her to. I tried the chair to no avail. Turns out it was because I had made her with guardian, thinking I would keep her with sword and shield. Then I looked online and found out about the potions you can buy from that guy. Now she wrecks all kinds of stuff with this awesome hammer I found for her awhile back. Their seems to be a disproportionate amount of female pawns online also.

So got a couple questions. spoiler tagging it just incase;
So I beat the dragon and got my heart back. Everfall hole in the ground now, Am I in "post game" at this point? I have to collect 20 wakestones right, I've gotten about 7 now, just by going through those rooms in the everfall(some of the rooms have other rooms that are closed off. will they open up at some point?)but yeah what if I just had 20 wake stones before I even got to this point, would I still have to go through all the rooms?

I loved the dragon fight, I like how it led you through different areas and stuff.
Like it felt like a boss fight, unlike the final boss in skyrim which was a huge let down. Really a nice game, I hope, HOPE there's going to a be sequel! there's some areas that could be improved upon. *hint* deceptively small map, which feels big but not at the same time, weird I know. Anyway, can't wait to jump back in, took a break for now.

Xero

Although I'm fine without the fast travel a horse would have been handy for all the back tracking. Even if it was a slow horse. Unless their are like infinite stamina potions.

Chairhome

So got a couple questions. spoiler tagging it just incase;
So I beat the dragon and got my heart back. Everfall hole in the ground now, Am I in "post game" at this point? I have to collect 20 wakestones right, I've gotten about 7 now, just by going through those rooms in the everfall(some of the rooms have other rooms that are closed off. will they open up at some point?)but yeah what if I just had 20 wake stones before I even got to this point, would I still have to go through all the rooms?

I loved the dragon fight, I like how it led you through different areas and stuff.
Like it felt like a boss fight, unlike the final boss in skyrim which was a huge let down. Really a nice game, I hope, HOPE there's going to a be sequel! there's some areas that could be improved upon. *hint* deceptively small map, which feels big but not at the same time, weird I know. Anyway, can't wait to jump back in, took a break for now.

Yeah, you just need 20 wakestones, the rooms aren't that important, but they are fun

Yeah one quest was killing a griffin, you chase it, then it runs off to bluemoon tower and you go kill it.
Second time I went was to chase a sorcerer who stole something from the castle, this was after that rich guy had a trial; I gave all the good stuff, so he was found not guilty and I get discounts

These were quests given from the castle, so I assume main quests. Did you do all the Ser Maxamillius quests before going inside the castle, might have been one of those but I don't remember now?

i didn't let the griffin go to the tower ( i killed it too fast it seems )

Audioboxer

Just received this from Lovefilm, I need some help on what I should read/do first GAF. Never followed this game, nor do I know much about it, just rented based on recommendation.

Thanks!!!

Chairhome

Audίoboxer;41006085 said:
Just received this from Lovefilm, I need some help on what I should read/do first GAF. Never followed this game, nor do I know much about it, just rented based on recommendation.

Thanks!!!

There's not much you can do wrong, really. Pick a class you think you'd enjoy playing as, and go from there. Soon after you start, you'll be able to make a Pawn (support character) to complement your character, as well as hire other party members. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask, the people in this thread are really helpful!

Audioboxer

There's not much you can do wrong, really. Pick a class you think you'd enjoy playing as, and go from there. Soon after you start, you'll be able to make a Pawn (support character) to complement your character, as well as hire other party members. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask, the people in this thread are really helpful!

Okay sounds good, basically wanted to know if I would/could be punished badly from any decisions I make early on.

Top Bottom