• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder why the Plus version is missing with no word about it. Has Rushy said anything on twitter? I want my friends to try it out and join my club so I can finally start earning fame for it but they're waiting for it to drop.

I've played this for about an hour and I'm sorry but so far for all the hype about the graphics I think this game is ... incredibly ugly as fuck, Disgusting aliasing and I really haven't seen anything that jumped out to impress me.

Salz01

So I hope the ps plus edition comes out today. Especially since it was supposed to come out day one last year at launch. If they fuck around with that promise because they want us to straight up buy it now, I'll be pissed. Based off the plus version, was totally willing to purchase the upgrade if I liked what I played.

KalBalboa

Banned
I've played this for about an hour and I'm sorry but so far for all the hype about the graphics I think this game is ... incredibly ugly as fuck, Disgusting aliasing and I really haven't seen anything that jumped out to impress me.

Driveclub |OT| incredibly ugly as fuck

Noobcraft

Is this in stores? Can I just walk down to Gamestop or Fred Meyer and grab it?
It actually wasn't stocked in the Best Buy I was at earlier today (at least not on the shelf, In MN) but they maybe just forgot. There aren't even ads for it on the PlayStation Store right now.
Edit: Website says its in stock, looks like they didn't put it on the shelves yet.

arit

I think the game is mocking me with giving me the crappy car.
Rr0xFSR.png

Kssio_Aug

The India tracks aren't pretty. They give that raw vibe of driving through a remote, tribal village. Lacks finesse, but compensates for it with character. Great extremely tight track design too. Making a pass is pretty damn hard. There's definitely more aliasing in India than other tracks, probably due to much higher frequency trackside detail.

I'm starting to understand why people think there is rubber banding. You end up racing in championships where other cars are simply better than yours, within the same class. They end up trouncing you in raw straight line speed. Once you unlock the same car, that doesn't happen anymore.

Also anybody that claims time of day has no bearing on how you race needs to take a walk. I find myself getting blinded so often and crashing into stuff! I even turned in the wrong direction once with the sun in my face because I was driving with no HUD. Unless you have every inch of the track memorized, time of day makes a huge difference!

Not such a good impression that I was expecting coming from you! =/
Does it handles good though?
I've read at another forum that the tracks were very tight and restricted aswell... I was fearing that a bit with that "countdown" poping up all the time in some videos.

I really need to try the Plus version to get my own conclusions thogh. I cant understand why they havent released that yet, together with the IGC.

Exactly.

It just surprises me how this game has so many contrasts on the visual aspect.

Some screenshots look gorgeous, while other look awful.
As someone who's playing it:
The game looks a million times better in motion than any screenshot. But all the India tracks can look a little rough because of aliasing. The tracks in any other location are much better. Especially Norway. And the lighting is the star of the game and what elevates it above the rest, but it's hard to accurately display that in a screen.

Hoje0308

Banned

You're still racing in parts of the game that aren't the prettiest. That said, none of them were ugly, and certainly not as aesthetically displeasing are your sentence structure.

SHEF

I'm in the UK and DRIVECLUB is now downloading with the update file but the pre-order cars all say cannot download. Anybody else in the UK been able to download the pre-order cars?

As someone who's playing it:
The game looks a million times better in motion than any screenshot. But all the India tracks can look a little rough because of aliasing. The tracks in any other location are much better. Especially Norway. And the lighting is the star of the game and what elevates it above the rest, but it's hard to accurately display that in a screen.

I am not kidding. The aliasing is horrible in this game and so far I find the environments just generally bland and uninteresting.

For what I was able to play a couple of weeks ago, it had aliasin issues, but I was told it was because of an older build.

Crap :/

Dinjooh

Been playing this for 7 hours straight now and I have a couple of comments:

Chile, Norway and Canada is absolutely breathtaking.

Aliasing is only a minor issue when looking at the car from 3rd person, I haven't seen anything noteworthy from cockpit view or (bonnet?) cam.

The sense of speed in this game cannot be overstated, it's unlike any game I've played before. I'm literally shaking when going at high speeds, and from time to time I'm finding myself braking at points where I don't have to break, simply because the speed is too overwhelming. Reminds me of my first time in a Go Kart as a minor.

Anyway, game is absolutely fantastic so far and I have yet to go online.

You're still racing in parts of the game that aren't the prettiest. That said, none of them were ugly, and certainly not as aesthetically displeasing are your sentence structure.

What does my sentence structure have to with anything, and why are you criticizing it when you can't even correctly type "as your sentence structure"?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I am not kidding. The aliasing is horrible in this game and so far I find the environments just generally bland and uninteresting.

The dozens and dozens of gameplay videos I've watched must have been faked then. I think your definition of ugly is probably my definition of 'Where, I can't see it ... oh yes, there is a little sparkle there now I look more closely'.

Yup! Thats strange! They should do it like a disccount for Plus subscribers. I think they're trying to sell it for 60 dollars for the unninformed.

I believe this is because it's a special case. Most PS+ discounts, even if your PS+ runs out you keep the game as long as you paid for it. Free PS+ games of course are only active while PS+ is.

I think I read somewhere that this discount is only for PS+ in the sense that even if you pay for it, if you lose PS+, you lose the game. PS+ exclusive.

But I may be full of shit, this is going off of half-remembered articles.

Originally Posted by JAYSIMPLE

It's fine to like driveclub. I understand it's the only real Sony exclusive thus year and it's had a major weight to bare. Carrying all that. Destiny was a let down etc. I think if you like it then that's what matters. It seems like plenty of reviewers really liked it too. The real test is to see if anyone's playing it I'm a month and what opinions are after some time.

What are you honestly trying to say here? I really don't understand, given the swings in tone (no PS4 exclusives, DC bereft of content, etc).

Anyway, to enjoy a game I don't think people need to hear your reassurances that it's ok. Tons of people are currently enjoying Destiny, and I'm sure tons of people will also be enjoying DriveClub.

I love how these people use their opinion like it's facts. So he doesn't like Destiny so it's a let down, yet people who likes DC should be apologetic. GTFO here with that BS. I am enjoying the hell out of Destiny, as it a whole lot of people on my friends list. Destiny with a clan of friends is a blast to play. I've got DC paid off and I'm going to pick it up in a few. I couldn't care less about some reviewer I have little respect for telling me whether or not I should like a game. I've been an advocate of just playing the games and formulating your own judgement. On that note they should just do away with review score altogether. Most people just use it in the fanboy wars. It would force these "journalist" to actually try to put some efforts into their work.

the india track has some aliasing, made worse by what you think is aliasing but turns out to be flocks of confetti, flowers, or whatever in the air.. i think the ps plus track should have been norway it looks the best.

cyen

Im really starting to think that ps4 must have some dificulty dealing with AF, this game screams for AF.

Stike

I can imagine they are holding back the free version to lighten the server load on PSN currently.

Just think how PSN would be shot down if all those who haven't directly bought the game would flood the network at the same time.

It is just an educated guess...

The sense of speed in this game cannot be overstated, it's unlike any game I've played before. I'm literally shaking when going at high speeds, and from time to time I'm finding myself braking at points where I don't have to break, simply because the speed is too overwhelming. Reminds me of my first time in a Go Kart as a minor.

So true. That and my first time driving on the highway.

Nafai1123

Banned
I believe this is because it's a special case. Most PS+ discounts, even if your PS+ runs out you keep the game as long as you paid for it. Free PS+ games of course are only active while PS+ is.

I think I read somewhere that this discount is only for PS+ in the sense that even if you pay for it, if you lose PS+, you lose the game. PS+ exclusive.

That was the original plan, but everyone made such a stink about it that they changed the policy (rightly so).

viveks86

Not such a good impression that I was expecting coming from you! =/

What? lol. Have you seen my previous impressions on this thread? I'm just blurting out thoughts as I play. May be I'll compile all of them at the end :D

Does it handles good though?

VERY GOOD!

I've read at another forum that the tracks were very tight and restricted aswell...

Depends on the location. India is VERY tight. The others, not as much. Adds quite a bit of variety to track design.

I was fearing that a bit with that "countdown" poping up all the time in some videos.

Can't comment much on this yet because I've disabled HUD entirely since I started. I hear a beep every now and then, which I assume is the reset timer, but haven't actually been reset even once. Evo also said they will look into this as a future update based on the feedback.

I really need to try the Plus version to get my own conclusions thogh. I cant understand why they havent released that yet, together with the IGC.

You should! :)

Read my earlier impressions here

The IQ could be better but horrible is far from the truth .
The environments some are better than others even more so with the right lighting but each to there own.

ascii42

They changed their mind http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/9/5699650/driveclub-ps-plus-edition-upgrade-full-game-reversal

akileese

I can imagine they are holding back the free version to lighten the server load on PSN currently.

Just think how PSN would be shot down if all those who haven't directly bought the game would flood the network at the same time.

Almost certainly. The anger and the fury (and bad press) comes from zero mention of it. You can put in the blog post that it's being delayed for server reasons and you'd get the normal amount of complaining. Not even mentioning it at all just seems like a bad choice to me.

Kane1345

This is probably what is going on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom