• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

orava

Watched the Giant Bomb quick look and man... I'm so not excited for this game all of the sudden.

Same here. I was waiting the quick look and it pretty much confirmed what i was thinking about this game. I'm big fan of arcade racers but this is just disappointing.

KalBalboa

Banned
Same here. I was waiting the quick look and it pretty much confirmed what i was thinking about this game. I'm big fan of arcade racers but this is just disappointing.

Try the PS+ version anyway. I've had a lot of fun with the game so far and I'm a big Giantbomb guy myself (paid sub and everything).

cyen

Got the game today, been playing for the last hour and and half, didnt want to post my impressions on the review thread because it´s on fire right now.. Here we go:

So far i must say and as much i didnt want it, im disapointed with the game so far :\ Had high hopes for the game:

So far i´ve played mostly in India and Norway and im not impressed by the graphics, something is not right with this game IQ, massive lack of AF and some distracting Aliasing, the lightning is top notch but having played Horizon 2 at a friends house i must say i prefer the cleanliness of Horizon to the superior DriveClub lightning. graphically a mixed bag, horizon 2 it´s much more consistent in this department in my opinion.

The SP structure is pretty simple but it seems a bit repetitive, just beat this time, finish top 3 and so on, nothing really inovative, the usual stuff. Not that this is bad, it´s a racing game after all.

MP is down at the moment so i can´t comment on it, nor the social features.

The handling so far seems good, at least on the lower tier cars, felt good. I´m happy about that.

Im a little worried about the lack of content, im probably going to finish all the Events in a week, and for a game that was delayed a whole year it seems a little lackluster.

Good thing is that all the tracks are fantasy, for me personally is a good thing, i´m a little sick of the same close circuts that all games have, so it´s refreshing on this department, having to learn the circuits from scratch.

We all knew the car selection for this game, so no suprise here. No Japanese cars? No words..The man responsible for the car selection should be spanked really hard!

I really wanted this game to be PS4 PGR but it´s probably not, i know i only played a little bit and i hope that i will change my mind later on but.. i have my doubts :\

Had this game been a launch game some of my criticisms would be excused, a year later i´m just disapointed.

Found a way to get a free month of Music Unlimited through the Android App, so I'm building a custom song list for racing. Here's what I've got thus far, looking for suggestions!

• I Would Die 4 U - Prince
  • As Good As It Gets - Grand Theft Audio
  • No Way Back - Foo Fighters
  • Faster - Third Eye Blind
  • She Sells Sanctuary - The Cult
  • Rescue - Ever 6
  • 99 Red Balloons - Goldfinger
  • Runnin' Down A Dream - Tom Petty
  • Panama - Van Halen
  • Sabotage - Beastie Boys
  • A Real Hero - College
  • Nightcall - Kavinsky & Lovefoxxx
  • Destiny - Syntax
  • Crimwave - Health
  • High Pressure Dave - Health
  • High Lonesome - The Gaslight Anthem

EDIT: Added these:

• The Distance - Cake
  • My Favorite Game - The Cardigans
  • Killing In The Name - Rage Against the Machine
  • I Can't Drive 55 - Sammy Hagar
  • B-Complex - Beautiful Lies
  • Metric - Monster Hospital (MSTRKRFT Remix)
  • Go With The Flow - Queens of the Stone Age

Million Miles Away - The Offpsring

And this is nonsense. Where is my free Driveclub Sony. I'm about to throw a tantrum here.

doomquake

Got the game today, been playing for the last hour and and half, didnt want to post my impressions on the review thread because it´s on fire right now.. Here we go:

So far i must say and as much i didnt want it, im disapointed with the game so far :\ Had high hopes for the game:

So far i´ve played mostly in India and Norway and im not impressed by the graphics, something is not right with this game IQ, massive lack of AF and some distracting Aliasing, the lightning is top notch but having played Horizon 2 at a friends house i must say i prefer the cleanliness of Horizon to the superior DriveClub lightning. graphically a mixed bag, horizon 2 it´s much more consistent in this department in my opinion.

The SP structure is pretty simple but it seems a bit repetitive, just beat this time, finish top 3 and so on, nothing really inovative, the usual stuff. Not that this is bad, it´s a racing game after all.

The handling so far seems good, at least on the lower tier cars, felt good. I´m happy about that.

Im a little worried about the lack of content, im probably going to finish all the Events in a week, and for a game that was delayed a whole year it seems a little lackluster.

Good thing is that all the tracks are fantasy, for me personally is a good thing, i´m a little sick of the same close circuts that all games have, so it´s refreshing on this department, having to learn the circuits from scratch.

We all knew the car selection for this game, so no suprise here. No Japanese cars? No words..The man responsible for the car selection should be spanked really hard!

I really wanted this game to be PS4 PGR but it´s probably not, i know i only played a little bit and i hope that i will change my mind later on but.. i have my doubts :\

Had this game been a launch game some of my criticisms would be excused, a year later i´m just disapointed.

they didn't put in Yakuza Lambos.. I asked and asked..but no.. Also.no tokyo highway map is bs.

Arrrgh.

I hope I don't think the same. Not gonna be happy if the graphics don't impress. Thanks for the mini review :)

Hoje0308

Banned
Just completed the first round of the Italain Performance Cup and holy shit do I love the sense of speed in this game. 170 mph at dusk with tail lights glowing ahead of you is just fantastic!

PSN store updated, but where is the free version

Also, what is the feeling/consensus here about the A.I being aggressive, in that they try to throw you off course?

I played for a couple hours last night. AI definitely bumps you a lot and it can be hard to get around them without bumping them. AI wasn't really a problem initially but once I got to the faster cars a bump from them could easily send me spinning out and to the end of the line.

I like it though. For me it's just a challenge on how to avoid them better, gotta be a little methodical instead of just lead footing to the finish

etf indeed.

tumblr_lsixbwNwrT1qdnwiro1_500.gif
Hehehe

DJ88

I asked this earlier in the thread but it got buried pretty quickly.

For all you wheel owners, is it fine going back to playing a racing game with a controller? Once I got a wheel I knew I couldn't go back and never have since.

Also, there's 5 locations and 55 tracks. Are the tracks just different layouts but in the same area of the location? Or do you go to different areas in the location and see different things in them?

chopstik

Banned

So far i must say and as much i didnt want it, im disapointed with the game so far : Had high hopes for the game:

I really wanted this game to be PS4 PGR but it´s probably not, i know i only played a little bit and i hope that i will change my mind later on but.. i have my doubts :

you had me until you brought FH2 into the mix.

VanWinkle

Also, there's 5 locations and 55 tracks. Are the tracks just different layouts but in the same area of the location? Or do you go to different areas in the location and see different things in them?

Good question. Last I've heard, there are 25 completely unique tracks. The rest are variants (like reverse versions).

Anhkow

On topic: I'm looking forward to see if I can get my Logitech DF GT to work with CronusMax for this.
Please please please report back on this - would love to know if it works.

I can report that it works (along with the G25/G27), using a program called CronusMAX-Xinput (a tutorial and the program itself can be found on their forums). Downside is that not all of the force feedback gets translated (the feedback from shifting/throttle/pedal don't seem to work) but steering and crashes however do.

One of the CronusMAX staff did tease the implementation of force feedback to one of their plugins. It is possible that it could bring full support for the force feedback in racing wheels (but don't hold me to that).

viveks86

The India tracks aren't pretty. They give that raw vibe of driving through a remote, tribal village. Lacks finesse, but compensates for it with character. Great extremely tight track design too. Making a pass is pretty damn hard. There's definitely more aliasing in India than other tracks, probably due to much higher frequency trackside detail.

I'm starting to understand why people think there is rubber banding. You end up racing in championships where other cars are simply better than yours, within the same class. They end up trouncing you in raw straight line speed. Once you unlock the same car, that doesn't happen anymore.

Also anybody that claims time of day has no bearing on how you race needs to take a walk. I find myself getting blinded so often and crashing into stuff! I even turned in the wrong direction once with the sun in my face because I was driving with no HUD. Unless you have every inch of the track memorized, time of day makes a huge difference!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom