• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've played this for about an hour and I'm sorry but so far for all the hype about the graphics I think this game is ... incredibly ugly as fuck, Disgusting aliasing and I really haven't seen anything that jumped out to impress me.

Yeah well guess it's a sign you should upgrade from that 32" costco bought westinghouse 720p edge lit lcd TV.

over 100 friends on GAF anyone has a club invite for me, I won't be doing online multi until I get a good wired connection (on WiFi get disconnects) but I can help grind levels since I'll be playing if you have some space in your club let me know

edit: oh Servers are down again all the club things are greyed out smh

The dozens and dozens of gameplay videos I've watched must have been fake then.
The aliasing is not horrible. If it is then I need to go to an optometrist. To me it looks so good that when I see posts about it being horrible I can't help but think that person is taking crazy pills. I noticed a bit in the begining in India, a tiny bit on the cars in 3rd person if you are actually looking for it but far from horrible.

KOHIPEET

You wouldnt download a dick.

watching_avengers_i_understood_a_gif_reference-88347.gif

The aliasing is not horrible at all. Maybe some people have their sharpness setting turned up too high (and improper RGB settings, with some of the washed out comments)?

There is aliasing, but its not bad at all, and in motion, the game looks even better.

boingball

Lol at Sony not releasing the DriveClub PS+ edition. Seems they expect the PS+ edition to not convert to sales and want to get some money out of impatient people.

Also pretty disappointed that they couldn't get online to work. Personally I would love to get a great single player racing game but that was not good enough for Evolution. They had to push some "innovative" social online components into this game. You need to race in a club to unlock cars (and get trophies). But you can't actually race in a club because the functionality doesn't work.

I think a 6 is an adequate score for the game. 8 for the single-player experience (good graphics (though not as good as in the bullshots), good handling of cars (though a little bit on the arcade side), nice sense of speed, very good control (was worried when it was locked to 30fps, but that did not impact the control or the sense of speed); 1 for the online experience (doesn't work) and normally I wouldn't care about that but this game needs to be online to get everything out of it even in single player (similar to that ME3 turd). So reduce the score by 2 to a 6. About the same as WRC4 last year on my PS3, which I enjoyed (funny enough, they did manage to get online to work for their game).

I'm sure that it's been asked before, but wasn't there supposed to be a PS+ free version?

Yeah... Wtf? I came home early to download it but it's not there. Also, the PSN store's PS+ section is really annoying. Go to the free games section, click on one of the games and it takes you to the screen to buy a PS+ membership.

I guess my TV is super awesome (or super crappy) but aliasing hasn't been an issue for me whatsoever. Even on the Indian courses. Of course my TV doesn't even do 1080p, maybe there's less aliasing when playing in 720p..? (Though that doesn't seem to make any sense.) What do you guys have the sharpness on your TVs set to?

Don't kill me if these are stupid statements/questions, I'm not a tech guy.

Rsinart

Don't like the fact that they talked a bunch about a free version of this game for PS+ members and its not online yet. I really wanted to try before I buy. If I can't before the end of the month I will never pick it up with the new games coming out. Think its a mistake on Sony part.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
The aliasing is not horrible. If it is then I need to go to an optometrist. To me it looks so good that when I see posts about it being horrible I can't help but think that person is taking crazy pills. I noticed a bit in the begining in India, a tiny bit on the cars in 3rd person if you are actually looking for it but far from horrible.

I have to check my own sanity sometimes just in case I'm hallucinating. I read the comments about ugly graphics, go back to Youtube and watch some footage, return to see more comments about aliasing, once again return to Youtube. I end up squashing my face against the PC screen trying my hardest to conjure up the 'ugly' but I just can't do it. Is there something wrong with me? Why does it look beautiful to me and disgusting to others?

VanWinkle

Not all of them looked bland and uninteresting, no. I don't watch video of every race track of a racing game before I buy it.

But if you find the tracks (you didn't say "some" or anything) bland and uninteresting, and the tracks that were in pre-release videos are tracks from the game, I figured you received a pretty fair warning.

S o g o o d.

I was sitting down, playing for a good half hour while going through the tour placing 1st in every single track. I thought damn this is fun as hell.

Then I remembered.....

I had a couple eggs boiling downstairs.

I think I ran downstairs faster than any one of my laps.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| I forgot about the eggs

Hoje0308

Banned
What does my sentence structure have to with anything, and why are you criticizing it when you can't even correctly type "as your sentence structure"?

I was being a bit sarcastic to match your obvious hyperbole. Also typing on my phone between races. But yeah,"incredibly ugly as fuck" shouldn't exist as part of a sentence.

Nafai1123

Banned
I have to check my own sanity sometimes just in case I'm hallucinating. I read the comments about ugly graphics, go back to Youtube and watch some footage, return to see more comments about aliasing, once again return to Youtube. I end up squashing my face against the PC screen trying my hardest to conjure up the 'ugly' but I just can't do it. Is there something wrong with me? Why does it look beautiful to me and disgusting to others?

It's all bullshit. Yes there is aliasing and some shimmering, particularly in 3rd person at night, but in first person I have trouble seeing any aliasing at all.

Apparently "some aliasing" has become "there is no anti-aliasing at all" which has then become "dog shit"

You need to see a doctor
immediately

Raonak

Banned
Checked my PS4 before I went off to work this morning. The auto-download worked successfully, first time I'd done PSN preordering, so suprised how smoothly it went.

Reviews are landing where I would've expected based on the fact this is more of a pure racer rather than going for gimmicks or openworld.

Regardless, I can't wait to go home a try it.

The fact that the online isn't working really sucks. That social aspect is a really big component and I don't even want to compete in events until everything is up and running. Is there a trick for getting online with this game for the few people who have managed to do it?

viveks86

I guess my TV is super awesome (or super crappy) but aliasing hasn't been an issue for me whatsoever. Even on the Indian courses. Of course my TV doesn't even do 1080p, maybe there's less aliasing when playing in 720p..? (Though that doesn't seem to make any sense.) What do you guys have the sharpness on your TVs set to?

There will be less aliasing on a 720p screen since the PS4 will downsample from 1080p native to 720p

Nokterian

The tone is neutral I would say. It'll pick up steam again when the EU and finally UK get to play too.

Still 1 hour and 15 minutes. Can't believe that Sony is holding the time in the UK and not the other like our time in the netherlands. At 01:00 am in the middle of the night? I mean every game even on pc is released at 00:00.

I actually had the same issue when I was playing Second Son. I play on a Pioneer Kuro, and i noticed a bit of unsightly aliasing in the game, but then checking my settings, the sharpness was like on 3. I don't know who changed my settings, but reference setting is supposed to be on zero. My games looked great after i changed it back.

1080p games will make you realize if your set has artificial sharpening or Edge Enhancement way too high…..it's more apparent and stark compared to a movie.

Hoje0308

Banned
I guess there were jaw drops after all....but for the wrong reasons.

Im still gana get it though, im sure it cant be that bad.

It's a fantastic game, but only if you really like driving. There's not much else that's used as a hook besides the social aspect. What it does, it does exceptionally well.

Kane1345

Still 1 hour and 15 minutes. Can't believe that Sony is holding the time in the UK and not the other like our time in the netherlands. At 01:00 am in the middle of the night? I mean every game even on pc is released at 00:00.

Pfft you get to play it in an hour and I have to wait till Friday stop moaning you bugger ;)

Wynnebeck

Banned
Don't like the fact that they talked a bunch about a free version of this game for PS+ members and its not online yet. I really wanted to try before I buy. If I can't before the end of the month I will never pick it up with the new games coming out. Think its a mistake on Sony part.

Don't worry buddy. Sony said they are getting on it as soon as possible so they don't lose a sale from Rsinart lord have mercy!

Redmoon

Surprised I was able to turn on my TVs motion picture setting to the highest and still be able to drive/react well. The smoothness makes this feel even better. At this point I'm just lapping to enjoy the scenery, while I wait for the servers to stabilize.

But if you find the tracks (you didn't say "some" or anything) bland and uninteresting, and the tracks that were in pre-release videos are tracks from the game, I figured you received a pretty fair warning.

I said "so far" I have found the environments bland and uninteresting, and I said that I had played for about an hour.

And why does it matter if the videos gave me fair warning anyway? Does that mean I can't criticize them?

55095920.jpg

Well shit. Now I'm tempted to join the GAF club before it's full. Was planning to make one with my bro who was going to try the PS+ version, but who knows when it's coming now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom