• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually had the same issue when I was playing Second Son. I play on a Pioneer Kuro, and i noticed a bit of unsightly aliasing in the game, but then checking my settings, the sharpness was like on 3. I don't know who changed my settings, but reference setting is supposed to be on zero. My games looked great after i changed it back.

1080p games will make you realize if your set has artificial sharpening or Edge Enhancement way too high…..it's more apparent and stark compared to a movie.
Yep. Sharpening should be off at any time. Also, turn off all noise reduction shit. Contrast at factory setting is also always waay to high. This will make otherwise not so aparent aliassing really reaally aparent.
The game demo units in stores are the worst.
Especially the Nintendo screens, by the way.

MJLord

How can they delay the game for a year because of social features then not invest the proper money into servers to keep them up during launch week?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
55095920.jpg

LOL. Pretty much, yeah.

Some quick impressions after doing a few races...

Positives:
+ Amazing graphics. They are so good they are distracting.
+ Great sound. Engine sounds are pretty spot on from what I've heard so far, but I've yet to drive anything I've heard in real life.
+ Incredible sense of speed. Holllly shit. Play in bumper view and it's intense as hell!
+ Controls are actually pretty good. I'd say it's in between Forza and PGR. Pretty arcadey but still somewhat realistic.
+ AI seems pretty solid, they are very aggressive, but not complete assholes like Forza 5's drivatards.
+ Fame system seems like a fun way to earn XP. The little in game minigames are a cool idea.
+ Barely any load times.

Negatives:
- Servers are down. So annoying, especially with so much of the game being online and club related.
- No customization. That is really disappointing.
- No weather (yet).
- Unless I missed it, there's no real control settings other than manual/automatic. This to me is a big deal.
- Really irritating getting penalized for the AI rearending me. That just doesn't seem right.
- Penalties in general seem really random. The speed penalty for cutting corners seems too harsh.

Bias:
* No rewind... man it's hard getting used to this. Twice I lost a race like two turns away from finish. First time I spun out and came in 6th, and the second time I got passed at the last turn and got 2nd.
* They really should add settings for assists, because I think you could make this feel a lot more like a sim pretty easily.

Once again... play with the bumper view. It's pretty intense!

Overall it's about what I expected after reading other people's impressions. It's definitely not perfect, and needs some work, but it's a fun game so far and I'm sure in a few months it's going to be even better.

I don't normally go in for conspiracy theories - but the lack of any mention from Playstation or Driveclub related accounts (including Rushy) about the free PS+ version raises some flags. The Ask Playstation account is responding to everyone's questions but avoiding the Driveclub ones.

My guess, as others have said, is they want to fix the Driveclub servers before they get hammered with all the free users.

Fucking ridiculous......just watched the Giant Bomb Quick Look and wow.....so dumb.

"It's so soulless!"

"I don't know if weather will actually even come down the road?"

Dude...Jeff...do you even listen to whats happening? HOW. MANY. TIMES. Have they said, weather is coming later? Holy shit, and then when he said that Forza Horizon 2 is going to be his go to game from now on out.....YES, they are both racing games but they are structured so differently you can't even compare them. I'm about done with reviews...I'm pissed.

Also, that quick look video made me even more hyped for the game. The lighting on Norway? I believe they were racing was UNREAL!

sorry for venting.....again.....

I paid for release day shipping, and I just got notification that the game will arrive tomorrow. The same thing happened with inFamous: Second Son. Does Amazon have some sort of stocking problem with PS4 exclusives or something? What do I do? I just want to play Driveclub. ;__;

Fucking ridiculous......just watched the Giant Bomb Quick Look and wow.....so dumb.

"It's so soulless!"

"I don't know if weather will actually even come down the road?"

Dude...Jeff...do you even listen to whats happening? HOW. MANY. TIMES. Have they said, weather is coming later? Holy shit, and then when he said that Forza Horizon 2 is going to be his go to game from now on out.....YES, they are both racing games but they are structured so differently you can't even compare them. I'm about done with reviews...I'm pissed.

Also, that quick look video made me even more hyped for the game. The lighting on Norway? I believe they were racing was UNREAL!

sorry for venting.....again.....
Doesn't mean it can't be his go-to game. He enjoys it more, so what?

Also is the PlayStation Live Chat meant to be manned by imbeciles?

Amir0x

Banned
This game is Amir0x approved so far two hours in. Fucking fly as shit and mechanically it's pitch perfect. Tracks are fun as hell to race through too, and A.I. is actually aggressive as all fucking get out and never feels cheap.

I'm all in so far, very few complaints.

Codeblew

The fact that the online isn't working really sucks. That social aspect is a really big component and I don't even want to compete in events until everything is up and running. Is there a trick for getting online with this game for the few people who have managed to do it?

Nothing really special about it. I have connected from going from an event to main menu or just leaving the game on the main menu and surfing the net for a while. I never stay connected for more than a few minutes.

Doesn't mean it can't be his go-to game. He enjoys it more, so what?

Also is the PlayStation Live Chat meant to be manned by imbeciles?

Yeah, honestly looking back at that....I don't know why I was even mad about that. I'm just really angry right now and all of the stress from everything going in is really building up.

AKA I'm exploding on here so I don't have to explode in the "real" world :p Also.....Physics.....fuck....you!

I don't normally go in for conspiracy theories - but the lack of any mention from Playstation or Driveclub related accounts (including Rushy) about the free PS+ version raises some flags. The Ask Playstation account is responding to everyone's questions but avoiding the Driveclub ones.

My guess, as others have said, is they want to fix the Driveclub servers before they get hammered with all the free users.

I think it's just because whoever is in control of that account knows better. They aren't going to say anything until they have a definitive answer. Right now they don't so best to keep their mouth shut. So many people are watching right now and a bad answer is going to be even more trouble.

They are probably having a lot of problems though. I bet it's not even something with the servers but also them having other problems. Watch it's something crazy with the system having trouble noticing two different PS+ offerings for the same game and it unlocking the full version with the free one. No way that's it though.

EL CUCO

I just got out of work and was sorting through the PS store but couldn't find PS+ DC. Now I see I'm not the only one.

Some quick impressions after doing a few races...

Positives:
+ Amazing graphics. They are so good they are distracting.
+ Great sound. Engine sounds are pretty spot on from what I've heard so far, but I've yet to drive anything I've heard in real life.
+ Incredible sense of speed. Holllly shit. Play in bumper view and it's intense as hell!
+ Controls are actually pretty good. I'd say it's in between Forza and PGR. Pretty arcadey but still somewhat realistic.
+ AI seems pretty solid, they are very aggressive, but not complete assholes like Forza 5's drivatards.
+ Fame system seems like a fun way to earn XP. The little in game minigames are a cool idea.
+ Barely any load times.

Negatives:
- Servers are down. So annoying, especially with so much of the game being online and club related.
- No customization. That is really disappointing.
- No weather (yet).
- Unless I missed it, there's no real control settings other than manual/automatic. This to me is a big deal.
- Really irritating getting penalized for the AI rearending me. That just doesn't seem right.
- Penalties in general seem really random. The speed penalty for cutting corners seems too harsh.

Bias:
* No rewind... man it's hard getting used to this. Twice I lost a race like two turns away from finish. First time I spun out and came in 6th, and the second time I got passed at the last turn and got 2nd.
* They really should add settings for assists, because I think you could make this feel a lot more like a sim pretty easily.

Once again... play with the bumper view. It's pretty intense!

Overall it's about what I expected after reading other people's impressions. It's definitely not perfect, and needs some work, but it's a fun game so far and I'm sure in a few months it's going to be even better.
interesting, so you can't turn off assists at all? As much as I want the game that could be a deal breaker for me.

viveks86

This game is Amir0x approved so far two hours in. Fucking fly as shit and mechanically it's pitch perfect. Tracks are fun as hell to race through too, and A.I. is actually aggressive as all fucking get out and never feels cheap.

jacknicholsonyes.gif

Welcome to the club. Good to see a non-fanboy's seal of approval! ;)

LtOrange

It makes sense that they are not releasing the free version until they get the servers back online. They want to convince people into upgrading and the social features are huge part of Driveclub. I wish they updated the community, but it is a smart move to wait until everything is up and running.

interesting, so you can't turn off assists at all? As much as I want the game that could be a deal breaker for me.

Nope. I dug around in the menu's, there's nothing for assists. Pretty weak. It's still fun though, and this is coming from someone who enjoys the more sim-ish racing games, I play Forza with no assists.

I'm thinking they are going to delay the PS+ demo version until the servers are situated. They probably don't want to make a bad situation worse.

Hoje0308

Banned

Wait until you get to Scotland and Norway. The latter in particular looks so damn real with the HUD turned off.

There are no assists to turn on. It isn't that they're all on and you can't turn them off in case that is what you were thinking. So you won't be flying into a corner and have auto-brake slow you down etc.

It makes sense that they are not releasing the free version until they get the servers back online. They want to convince people into upgrading and the social features are huge part of Driveclub. I wish they updated the community, but it is a smart move to wait until everything is up and running.
Could make sense. At least acknowledge it though...

Kssio_Aug

Didn't you read my impressions from last night? :)

It seems only India is kind "meh" then! Unfortunately thats what the Plus version gives for free... =(
But I believe in it. I have seen some gamersyde videos and there are some tracks (specially some with ice on the borders) that were looking pretty amazing!

God damn, I need that freee Plus version. Can't understand why they have not uploaded that yet.

There are no assists to turn on. It isn't that they're all on and you can't turn them off in case that is what you were thinking. So you won't be flying into a corner and have auto-brake slow you down etc.

There are other assists besides steering/braking assist. Things like SCS, TCS, ABS, etc... There are definitely assists that are coming into play.

Tubie

I want the PS+ edition already so I can convince myself I like it and buy the retail edition.

Why don't you want my money Sony?

viveks86

It seems only India is kind "meh" then! Unfortunately thats what the Plus version gives for free... =(
But I believe in it. I have seen some gamersyde videos and there are some tracks (specially some with ice on the borders) that were looking pretty amazing!

God damn, I need that freee Plus version. Can't understand why they have not uploaded that yet.

It seems some of the later tracks in India do look "prettier". I haven't seen them all. I still like them regardless. Probably because I've been to such places. I can see why it doesn't impress everyone though.

Welp, just walked into GameStop to pick up my pre-order... And there is, no shit, a line of 17 people ahead of me, most of whom have numerous games in their hands to sell back. Who wants to guess how long this fiasco is going to take?

CLEEK

Played for about an hour last night. My only major complaint is the internal view is a literal bumper cam. Far too low to be useful. Half the screen is tarmac and you don't have enough elevation to see upcoming bends.

I just was a normal internal view, as per Ridge Racer, GT etc. It's always my preferred viewpoint, as it gives the best sensation of speed. This must be simple for them to patch in.

vgamer1

There are other assists besides steering/braking assist. Things like SCS, TCS, ABS, etc... There are definitely assists that are coming into play.

I mean that's assuming they modeled those features in the game's physics engine. If they were going for a more arcade experience then I can understand why they aren't there.

ValfarHL

I don't read reviews anymore. They're written by people who are paid to give their opinions, and that's something that's easily corruptible. And even worse, if they're not swayed by money, that can lead to indifference.

I mean how many more videos do I have to watch of these people who are reviewing the game, yet cannot even say with any confidence what the PS Plus Edition is, or what content it has? And then brush off their ignorance by saying it's Sony's fault because they didn't deliver a clear message about that stuff. When the information is clearly out there - they just don't give a fuck to know or do any research at all. These are not the people whose opinion I value. But unfortunately, these idiots are shaping what games get greenlit because of Metacritic and other such nonsense.

Seriously man. Fuck this industry. It's broken.

Dont think I've ever agreed more with a post. How much so called reviews from paid and clueless "experts" can make or break, not just the sales of a game, but the fucking future of the devs who worked their butts off makes me very sad and angre. Fuck reviews, fuck review scores, read gaf.

Kssio_Aug

It seems some of the later tracks in India do look "prettier". I haven't seen them all. I still like them regardless. Probably because I've been to such places. I can see why it doesn't impress everyone though.

I think that the weather will do a big thing for this game visuals. Its pratically a sin that it is not avaiable day one! I believe it wil look amazing with that snow and rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom