• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

slapnuts

It's all bullshit. Yes there is aliasing and some shimmering, particularly in 3rd person at night, but in first person I have trouble seeing any aliasing at all.

Apparently "some aliasing" has become "there is no anti-aliasing at all" which has then become "dog shit"

Agreed, the game is very beautiful visually, yes there are some aliasing but man some people make it out to be far worse than it is..its not bad at all just some area's here and there and mostly the dense India tracks with so much foliage...I've spent about a hour so far with the game and im loving it, feels a lot like PGR games in a lot of ways, i guess that is why i am in love with the game so far.

All the BS comments coming from the usual suspects (look at their history posts) you will see they are just the nitpicking type people or stealth drive-by trolling...although to be fair, to those looking for high end PC quality AA...its not here, its good for a console game but it is BAR NONE the best looking racing game "overall" to date on any platform and this is coming from a PC gamer myself.

I think a lot of people are also over looking the huge amount of upcoming support this game will be getting with new tracks, cars and events along with the "Weather Add-on" pack which will all be free without having to buy the season pass, the season pass simply add's a ton more.

I think the game is very good, if you like Project Gothem Racing Games "YOU WILL" like DriveClub, simple as that.

And those of you that keep bringing up FH2, please stop it, its not even right to compare these two games to eachother..its just wrong and almost trollish material.

Anyways....to those looking for a fun and exciting arcade/sim racer that plays a lot like PGR games...this is your game. REMEMBER...Evolution is gonna be supporting this game with a ton more free add-ons in the coming months! Why people keep forgetting this blows my mind...this game is going to "evolve".

Peace

Welp, just walked into GameStop to pick up my pre-order... And there is, no shit, a line of 17 people ahead of me, most of whom have numerous games in their hands to sell back. Who wants to guess how long this fiasco is going to take?
Pretend to answer your cell phone and be like "oh my god!... no way! I'll be right there!" Then tell the people in front of you that you have to run and you really want to grab the game first. No one will mind.

GlamFM

Banned
Fucking ridiculous......just watched the Giant Bomb Quick Look and wow.....so dumb.

"It's so soulless!"

"I don't know if weather will actually even come down the road?"

Dude...Jeff...do you even listen to whats happening? HOW. MANY. TIMES. Have they said, weather is coming later? Holy shit, and then when he said that Forza Horizon 2 is going to be his go to game from now on out.....YES, they are both racing games but they are structured so differently you can't even compare them. I'm about done with reviews...I'm pissed.

Also, that quick look video made me even more hyped for the game. The lighting on Norway? I believe they were racing was UNREAL!

sorry for venting.....again.....

As you said, but kind of forgot during your rant: this was a quick look, review is coming later.

Also, you can absolutely compare two racing games.

zinder

When is the PS Plus version available? Can't see it on the store page. Sorry that I didn't bother to read previous replies

DJ88

jesus christ can you guys be any more condescending? No my sharpness is not set all the way up it's set at 10 right now when it normally defaults at 50

Just a friendly jabbing. Although you should drop it down to 0. No TV should ever intentionally introduce blurriness to an image. Anything above 0 is artificial and not the way the source image was intended to look.

When is the PS Plus version available? Can't see it on the store page. Sorry that I didn't bother to read previous replies

No worries. No one knows at this point - it is supposed to go up today but there's been no word on it even though the rest of the store updating. There's a ton of issues right now with PSN and Driveclub servers, so it could be related to that.

The Driveclub app was also pulled quickly from the Android store.

Kssio_Aug

The 50 dollars paid version for Plus subscribers is on the store. But the free version not yet... and the silence on PS Blog is starting to worry me.

Seventy70

Fucking ridiculous......just watched the Giant Bomb Quick Look and wow.....so dumb.

"It's so soulless!"

"I don't know if weather will actually even come down the road?"

Dude...Jeff...do you even listen to whats happening? HOW. MANY. TIMES. Have they said, weather is coming later? Holy shit, and then when he said that Forza Horizon 2 is going to be his go to game from now on out.....YES, they are both racing games but they are structured so differently you can't even compare them. I'm about done with reviews...I'm pissed.

Also, that quick look video made me even more hyped for the game. The lighting on Norway? I believe they were racing was UNREAL!

sorry for venting.....again.....

Everything he said seemed valid to me except for the handling since I haven't had a chance to try the game yet. I think some people are just too caught up in the hype to realize that they can like the game, but don't expect everyone else to like it. btw quick looks ARE NOT reviews. It's just a quick walkthrough of the features in the game and their first impressions.

Conduit

Banned
Some quick impressions after doing a few races...

Bias:
* No rewind... man it's hard getting used to this. Twice I lost a race like two turns away from finish. First time I spun out and came in 6th, and the second time I got passed at the last turn and got 2nd.

No, no, no. Please tell me that you are kidding, right? Gamers are pretty spoiled today. I'm really against Rewind option in game ( yes, i know, if i don't like the rewind option, don't push the button for rewind ). How usage of rewind option can be fun?

Practice makes perfect, from start to end, even if you end the race last! And again, and again etc...

There's this guy in the PSBlog comment section claiming OVER and OVER again that they somehow delayed Driveclub again due to poor sales and poor reviews. Literally every few posts.

Tracks are fun as hell to race through too, and A.I. is actually aggressive as all fucking get out and never feels cheap.

When I think of "aggressive" AI in racing games, I think of AIs that try to block you from passing, or AIs try risky passing maneuvers on turns. AIs that try to smash you off the road would not fall into that category. The AI in this game seem to be programmed to drive like they're in a Mad Max game, and to me that is completely at odds with a fun racing experience (unless it's a pure arcade game like Mario Kart or Wipeout).

I'm getting wrecked using anything above the Sports class cars. Seems like there's a bump in AI using those? Or it could just be me sliding out of control on a soft turn. Need more practice using those performance cars.

I honestly had no idea rewind was a popular feature until I saw people commenting about the lack of it in Driveclub. I've never used it in a racing game and didn't know it was even common.

ascully

Playing through the career but feel I am missing something with the servers being down. Is it actually saving my times or do you need to be on the server for that?

Just a friendly jabbing. Although you should drop it down to 0. No TV should ever intentionally introduce blurriness to an image. Anything above 0 is artificial and not the way the source image was intended to look.
everything else looks fine on my tv and I don't complain about jaggies while playing anything else so I am leaving it.
It's not my tv settings. it's the game.
Are people really going to say that they haven't seen any funky power wires in the games videos before?

viveks86

Having TCS/STM on all the time is really weird considering the drift events. Does it seem to get in the way, or not really?

I think those have been tweaked enough to not get in the way (assuming they are even being simulated as individual elements under the hood). Rapier seems to be having a good time drifting. I haven't done much of that yet. Still mucking about in hatchbacks! :D

Gold_Loot

Just wanted to chime in and say how much I'm enjoying the game. The later cars feel great, and nailing a sharp turn feels as satisfying as ever.

Only sore spot for me is what's ( not ) in between races . I wish a had a car viewer , paint shop, photo mode ect. But hey , what's important is great. Hoping the game has a long bright future ahead.

I honestly had no idea rewind was a popular feature until I saw people commenting about the lack of it in Driveclub. I've never used it in a racing game and didn't know it was even common.

It's not, but it this game where you can lose a long race because the AI was over aggressive and spun you out on the last turn its sucks. I mean why not give people the option?

Dunno... found everything he said understandable. He's at level 22, not like he hasn't played a bunch.

Watching one of the snow races, car hits the snow on the side of the road like it ran into a brick wall.

The visuals are nice, but there's nothing I saw in the QL that made me think anything in this game is new/unique/different or even all that particularly well done compared to other racers.

Each their own I guess.

Nokterian

It's not, but it this game where you can lose a long race because the AI was over aggressive and spun you out on the last turn its sucks. I mean why not give people the option?

Why not learn the track and get better? I did this in NFS HP 2010. When it went wrong i started again and again. I am more then glad there is no rewind stuff in it.

Seventy70

I think Jeff said it in the QL. This game just kind of straddles the line between sim and arcade racer. The people who want an arcade racer end up wanting more arcade features and the people who want a sim racer end up wanting more sim features.

I mean that's assuming they modeled those features in the game's physics engine. If they were going for a more arcade experience then I can understand why they aren't there.

Yep, that's totally true. I was thinking about that just now while I was doing another race. They very well might not even have a concept of those sort of assists. I hope they do though. It definitely feels like there's some sort of actual stability control being implemented, so hopefully they just need to hook up toggles for that stuff, and with them off it actually controls realistically.

I do kind of wish they would add a racing line. I'm having a hard time judging braking distances with the arcade-like nature of the game.

Jabba

Banned
Hmmm....is this full 1920x1080p? My 46" tv screen isn't quite filled up when using dot for dot setting. It fills up using the overscan option. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks Mango, appreciates. That was it.

Melchiah

Some quick impressions after doing a few races...

Positives:
+ Amazing graphics. They are so good they are distracting.
+ Great sound. Engine sounds are pretty spot on from what I've heard so far, but I've yet to drive anything I've heard in real life.
+ Incredible sense of speed. Holllly shit. Play in bumper view and it's intense as hell!
+ Controls are actually pretty good. I'd say it's in between Forza and PGR. Pretty arcadey but still somewhat realistic.
+ AI seems pretty solid, they are very aggressive, but not complete assholes like Forza 5's drivatards.
+ Fame system seems like a fun way to earn XP. The little in game minigames are a cool idea.
+ Barely any load times.

Negatives:
- Servers are down. So annoying, especially with so much of the game being online and club related.
- No customization. That is really disappointing.
- No weather (yet).
- Unless I missed it, there's no real control settings other than manual/automatic. This to me is a big deal.
- Really irritating getting penalized for the AI rearending me. That just doesn't seem right.
- Penalties in general seem really random. The speed penalty for cutting corners seems too harsh.

Bias:
* No rewind... man it's hard getting used to this. Twice I lost a race like two turns away from finish. First time I spun out and came in 6th, and the second time I got passed at the last turn and got 2nd.
* They really should add settings for assists, because I think you could make this feel a lot more like a sim pretty easily.

Once again... play with the bumper view. It's pretty intense!

Overall it's about what I expected after reading other people's impressions. It's definitely not perfect, and needs some work, but it's a fun game so far and I'm sure in a few months it's going to be even better.

What you said about the sense of speed and arcadey controls makes the wait for tomorrow all the more unbearable. As for the lack of rewind, I don't think that would be a big deal to me, considering that I've played WipEout HD for the past six years, and it doesn't have one. Evolution''s past racing games have been more frustrating than WipEout though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom