• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because something is physically accurate doesn't mean it's pleasing to an eye. These things should be avoided (and are avoided) in art (paintings, illustration, movies, etc). That's number one rule of any art form. Someone in your art department should have picked up on this. Just saying... The devil is in the detail.
On the other side, can't wait for this game :p

So they shouldn't have gone for realism, despite the fact that that's what they've been striving for it all along....just because everyone else doesn't do it, and because some people would rather have fake lighting/shadows? That's absurd.

In regards to the bolded - replicating how something looks in real life is paying attention to detail. They've gone to such great measures to ensure detail, that people like you don't like it, because of how true to life it is. :p

I'm in the same boat, but G25 instead. Thing is I just decked out a new games room and bought a second PS4. I'm not sure I could sell this new wheel purchase to my wife lol.

Seriously, I recently got engaged... and suddenly there is a lot more scrutiny of my purchases. "whats that"... "ohh, nothing".

Also.. so it looks like the T300RS isn't even available in the US. What gives?

Lol. Here's some Driveclub sense of speed editions.

ibnaEcz7viI6MU.gif

SarcasticFreeFlycatcher.gif

image.jpg

fuck that looks so good

DRIVECLUB |OT2| Sunny with a Chance of Floating Cars

AH HAHAHA Perfect!

Also... man I want Clarkson to do a commercial for this game.

Just hearing him say: DriveClub the racing game with the most realistic Lighting... IN DA WORLD!

Rushy! Get this game to show up on Top Gear UK please! PLEASE!!!

d9b

Banned
You guys are having the same conversation that surrounded the Realism/Naturalism movement in classical art. That's awesome, but you probably won't progress beyond better describing why you prefer accuracy or the importance of human agency in artistic representations.
Finally, someone sophisticated enough.
sophisticated.gif

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You guys are having the same conversation that surrounded the Realism/Naturalism movement in classical art. That's awesome, but you probably won't progress beyond better describing why you prefer accuracy or the importance of human agency in artistic representations.
Is this art? :)

I have to admit that it took me a while to get used to this, but it is entirely physically accurate - we don't use fake shadows or mask sunlight by ambient occlusion, which often hides this 'effect'.

Under strong lighting conditions and from the right angle there won't be a shadow visible beneath the car. To show this I took a car out into the Evo car park, parked it so the sun was from directly behind and held a camera up in the air at similar angle to the chase camera.

Nothing is faked or baked in this image either ;) Number plates have been obviously obscured though.

floatingCar.jpg

Does indeed look like that in reality it seems.

Looks weird though. Floating car-effect is actually realism.

Auctopus

Driveclub |OT2| Evolution probably won't progress beyond better describing why they prefer accuracy or the importance of human agency in artistic representations.

Hoje0308

Banned
Finally, someone sophisticated enough.
sophisticated.gif

Again, because you can't properly argue your own point, you result to insults. The fact is that Evo made a choice to replicate reality to the best of their ability. Your argument falls flat in the face of that very salient point. This isn't a stylized game, they've recreated natural conditions. But please, tell us all how unsophisticated we are while you resort to quoting others to make a point you apparently couldn't put into words yourself.

Is it necessary to explain why what I wrote wasn't an insult?

Wasn't saying that it was. I knew that d9b would try to use your quote to circle back around and tried to counter. But alas...

ValfarHL

Someone, anyone, eveyrone, give me a reason not to upgrade my G27 to a T500RS... I don't need to make this purchase, but I am on the verge... must resist. Watching that damn Gamersyde Norway hillclimb video this morning has really made me want FFB with Driveclub.

I am seriously considering a T500RS and a playseat just for this game, fuck me. And maybe Project Cars.

benzy

The game's sense of speed in general is unrealistically fast. Although that is not a bad thing necessarily :)

It's actually a pretty accurate representation. It looks like warp speed when trees, grass and bushes, wall barriers, etc. are in close proximity along with the slight camera shake.

iSVp4WTFDSSwa.gif

Guys, late last night we started building a PSN friend list for all players. Doesn't matter if you are from GAF to not or if you plan to buy the full version or not. If you are going to play this game and are looking for others to play with/against, send a friend request to

PSN: DRIVECLUB-GAF

I've found the page for this, but it won't let me send a friend request. It keeps giving me an error, probably PSN still being a bit shit today. If you get chance, can you try and add me from the profile to see if it works? Otherwise I'll try in a few hours.

Auctopus

It's actually a pretty accurate representation. It looks like warp speed when trees, grass and bushes, wall barriers, etc. are in close proximity along with the slight camera shake.

iSVp4WTFDSSwa.gif

I'd be willing nobody in this thread has gone 150mph+ on a B-Road in real life so I'm not sure what their reference point is.

Hoje0308

Banned
I'd be willing nobody in this thread has gone 150mph+ on a B-Road in real life so I'm not sure what their reference point is.

Footage of rally races and (what looks like) the Isle of Man TT.

Edit: Never mind, just realized that you were probably asking that of people that thought the replication of speed sensation was exaggerated.

I didn't want to make a comment on this because I feel it would derail the thread on the debate if games are Art and the perception of intention versus viewers perspective, however, since d9b is using this post as a spring board to insult people I guess I might as well add something to it.

From the original post people were addressing, dealt with the creators' wanting to bring forth realistic lighting effects to their world. In this they have seemingly achieved their goal. Now, for all intents and purposes we have to ask how should one view critical analysis of their product, knowing that the developers have reached their goal, can you honestly take criticism seriously when saying the lighting is too "realistic"?

Is it really a knock at the game if the issue is that the developers did their job?

d9b

Banned
Again, because you can't properly argue your own point, you result to insults. The fact is that Evo made a choice to replicate reality to the best of their ability. Your argument falls flat in the face of that very salient point. This isn't a stylized game, they've recreated natural conditions. But please, tell us all how unsophisticated we are while you resort to quoting others to make a point you apparently couldn't put into words yourself.
Why you getting so hot and bothered over a simple comment? Like it's a matter of life and death, lol.
Here, I'll quote my final and last comment on this floating car "issue" (you obviously didn't read it) :

It's an optical illusion. The problem is not the reality, the problem is how your eyes sometimes interpret and see reality in certain conditions /camera angles. These things are usually avoided by following advice from experienced art guys/girls in movies/games/etc industry.

Hoje0308

Banned
Why you getting so hot and bothered over a simple comment? Like it's a matter of life and death, lol.

Here, I'll quote my final and last comment on this floating car "issue" (you obviously didn't read it) :

Actually, everyone has read that quote multiple times. What else are Evo meant to replicate, other than what the human eye would see?

Edit: I'm getting annoyed because someone that can't properly define their argument continually condescends to others in the thread as they just don't get it, as evidenced by your assertion that I must have missed your original comment, otherwise I couldn't possibly disagree.

Danneee

I really wanted to buy a physical copy of this but the PS+ preorder is two thirds the price of that so I just had to bite...
HYPE

viveks86

I've found the page for this, but it won't let me send a friend request. It keeps giving me an error, probably PSN still being a bit shit today. If you get chance, can you try and add me from the profile to see if it works? Otherwise I'll try in a few hours.

Yeah it's messed up. Gonna give it a day. I've got a giant backlog of friend requests that I can't accept. Will send out a note when it works so you guys can send a request again :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom