• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fixed again.

Oh shit.

I can't breathe.

7fnDwDm.gif

Too many languages for the UK version.

This is the UK one.

I didn't notice the Only on PS text. Ah well, was hoping someone in the UK broke the street date.

I've just seen an advert for The Other Racing Game, and it was live action, not footage from the game. Sony are going to make a point of stating 'Actual Footage from Gameplay' on their TV spots aren't they?

If they aren't, they've missed a trick to show footage downsampled to SDTV where it will probably look gob-smacking.

Audioboxer

So the PS+ version at £34.99 is EXACTLY the same as the retail version and even if my PS+ sub lapses I can still play?

If so that's a decent "bargain".

viveks86

Which PSN store are you on? I know for the UK it explicitly says in the text that those bonuses are there, but there's no such language for the description of the US version.

My bad. It seems like the pre-order bonus is now exclusive to EU/AU (and potentially other regions except US).

If I pre-order on PSN, do I get the same bonuses that gamestop has or does gamestop have more?

DRIVECLUB_bonusLG.jpg

I stand corrected on my previous post. Looks like gamestop has nabbed this as an exclusive for the US.

I've just seen an advert for The Other Racing Game, and it was live action, not footage from the game. Sony are going to make a point of stating 'Actual Footage from Gameplay' on their TV spots aren't they?

If they aren't, they've missed a trick to show footage downsample to SDTV where it will probably look gob-smacking.

Scalextric ad?

Isn't that a mix of live action and 'captured on console footage?

Anyone else find it pretty funny that the game that has unrealistically fast sense of speed is also running @ 30fps?

I just find that ... humorous. Usually sense of speed is reserved for the blazing speed of 60fps. But here is DriveClub. Best looking racing game ever made, most in-depth lighting system ever built, 30fps, and the sense of speed is getting near Wipeout levels of " hhhhoooolllyyyyyyy shittttttttttt " as you fly through a forest at 150mph. Instinctively gripping your controller ( or wheel, lucky bitches ) harder.

Cant wait to memorize that forest track to the point to where I can fly through it at night time with nothing but my headlights leading the way. OMG just thinking of that makes my palms sweat

baconcow

It's almost like the head's got its own momentum calculated as well. Aside frome the car not getting totalled, it's incredibly realistic.
They should have a hardcore mode, where the car is totaled and your vision fades to black (race over - you dun fucked up too hard)

Hoje0308

Banned
I grew up in the Northeast US, so I'm ecstatic at the nighttime snow gifs in particular.

I'm currently in Minnesota, so I'm definitely familiar. The part they really nailed, to me at least, is sunset in the mountains. I travel to Montana quite a bit and the feeling I get watching some of the Norwegian tracks is eerily similar to what I experience in real life.

Fixed again.

/thread

Scalextric ad?

Isn't that a mix of live action and 'captured on console footage?

Not the one I saw, but it did have a strange edit as if it skipped a bit. It showed the Scalextric track, burst out of the side, car rolling down a road and then a night shot of a hill leading to a village or town. It stated at the beginning that it was live action footage though, and i didn't see anything that looked like it was from the actual game.

Anyone else find it pretty funny that the game that has unrealistically fast sense of speed is also running @ 30fps?

I just find that ... humorous. Usually sense of speed is reserved for the blazing speed of 60fps. But here is DriveClub. Best looking racing game ever made, most in-depth lighting system ever built, 30fps, and the sense of speed is getting near Wipeout levels of " hhhhoooolllyyyyyyy shittttttttttt " as you fly through a forest at 150mph. Instinctively gripping your controller ( or wheel, lucky bitches ) harder.

Cant wait to memorize that forest track to the point to where I can fly through it at night time with nothing but my headlights leading the way. OMG just thinking of that makes my palms sweat

What I don't understand is the racing fanatics who say a game must be 60fps+ for the response time, then play with a wheel which has natural lag anyway. Steering with a thumb has surely got to be more responsive than turning a wheel with two hands.

It will be even better with a group of human drivers, in the forest at night. I can image the mayhem of one misstep.

It will be glorious.

I still have a handful of GT5 replays saved from night time runs on the Nordschleife with a group of buddies who all had the track memorized. Bumper to bumper clean racing in the pitch black. Those replays look amazing in 3D

Don't think I even got the request. Pipe is clogged! I hope this doesn't mean everyone needs to resend whenever they fix it :(

I just checked my sent friend requests and it's not there. I am also now getting an error when I try to add again. I'll try adding from my PS4 when I get home.

This looks amazing.

It's amazing how much the sky full of precipitation and the puddles on the ground enhance and work with the lighting engine. I really hope we can have snow on the India tracks just as a 'what if'; or so we can pretend it's Chandigarh we're racing around.

Gestault

Steering with a thumb has surely got to be more responsive than turning a wheel with two hands.

There's no difference in the delay in the electrical signal from a controller vs a wheel. A wheel is a more precise tool for controlling a car than an analog stick, if the game's handling is realistic.

I have noticed there is no music during gameplay, is it off or there will be no music at all?

Music is off by default and is turned off when you use Share, apparently. The official soundtrack is by the always excellent, Hybrid.

There's no difference in the delay in the electrical signal from a controller vs a wheel. A wheel is a more precise tool for controlling a car than an analog stick, if the game's handling is realistic.

It's the human to the controller lag I was meaning, the reaction time for two hands and a wheel is slower than a single thumb on a stick, so response times are slower (even if they are finer).

Podcast Beyond really ripped into this game on the latest show (around the 5:45 mark). Among their critiques (not sure exactly who said what, I'm not good with attaching voices to names):

- it was delayed a year, it should have come out at system launch
- now it's coming out this fall, it should be pushed back because it's going to sell badly
- they didn't realize it wasn't a sim before listeners pointed it out to them, so they're mad that they didn't know that
- apparently they think a racing game should either be a sim or San Francisco Rush style arcade, there's no happy medium
- 'Drive Club is in real trouble' or something to that effect

Podcast Beyond really ripped into this game on the latest show (around the 5:45 mark). Among their critiques (not sure exactly who said what, I'm not good with attaching voices to names):

- now it's coming out this fall, it should be pushed back because it's going to sell badly
- they didn't realize it wasn't a sim before listeners pointed it out to them, so they're mad that they didn't know that
- apparently they think a racing game should either be a sim or San Francisco Rush style arcade, there's no happy medium

- It's not an FPS
- Cars are boring anyway, not like guns
- "Hi! We're IGN!"

Guymelef

omg...

I was watching a stream a few hours ago and I noticed that the tire screeches are really loud.

Anyone know if this game will have the option to turn 'sound effects' down, or maybe even the tire squeal specifically?

Yes, I'm aware that tire squeal is really loud in real life too.

baconcow

lol
They seem to have done a poor job researching this title. I hope they don't review the game, given how against simcades, they appear to be. DRIVECLUB will be fine, especially if people stop listening to that specific episode of their podcast and come to this thread, instead.

Nice weather effects. But not at launch right?

Was tweeted yesterday that it would not be at launch.

AmuroChan

Fortunately neither one of them is reviewing DC.

mreddie

So 7.8 review?

Remf

Don't think I even got the request. Pipe is clogged! I hope this doesn't mean everyone needs to resend whenever they fix it :(

Please do send a request to DRIVECLUB-GAF when you can. It's easier for me to accept dozens of requests than add manually :)

Just sent a request. PSN name is the same as my gaf name.

Damn release day review embargos costing those poor sites clicks.

Portugeezer

Those podcast beyond comments are more to do with their personal opinion (i.e. ignorance) than anything about the actual game, the fact that they seem to love The Crew pretty much says it all... that game looks mediocre and hype has died so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom