• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niven

You'll be able to play it but you'll just have to play tour mode till they sort it out. Unless of course it is fixed before we join the fray

Ow cheers for letting me know! So does that mean like I can set up the club but just not race online?

Other than a few effects I don't think the game is really THAT graphically impressive after all. I think they would have been better off sacrificing a bit of detail to get 60FPS.
Can't wait to see how Gran Turismo 7 looks. I hope it's a solid 60FPS with zero screen tear.

I find myself wishing for 60fps at times, but I wouldn't sacrifice the lighting, or the scale for it. The non-cheat lighting system is capable of so many spontaneous 'wow' moments, it's worth the 30fps deficit for those alone. Pus, the controls don't feel compromised at 30 for me.

Really regret not being patient and waiting to try the free ps plus edition before purchasing. Decided to go with the thread and not the reviews and went ahead and bought the ps plus edition. 5 races in and this really isn't for me. The driving feels really off to me and the graphics are really underhwelming. It did look a little better in the night time race but definitely not what it is hyped up to be. Though, strangely enough despite reading alot of comments in this thread today about the drifting being difficult or awkward I found it really easy and quite satisfying.

Shaneus

Yep. If this was a shit game like the 5/10 reviews made it sound like, then you could write off a shaky launch as no big deal. But this game is really good. It needs to be up and running fully for people who bought it, and Sony needs to be pushing the PS+ version out to people too. Playing this thing for yourself is the best marketing campaign possible, and it's painful to watch them bungle it.
Pretty much :/ I'm sure it'll be forgotten not long after it's fixed, but it IS painful to see it not go smoothly for Evo.

EGOMON

Really regret not being patient and waiting to try the free ps plus edition before purchasing. Decided to go with the thread and not the reviews and went ahead and bought the ps plus edition. 5 races in and this really isn't for me. The driving feels really off to me and the graphics are really underhwelming. It did look a little better in the night time race but definitely not what it is hyped up to be. Though, strangely enough despite reading alot of comments in this thread today about the drifting being difficult or awkward I found it really easy and quite satisfying.

Wait for the multiplayer it is going to be a blast i had one so far and i can tell it so damn fun to play with other 11 people online, i just hope Sony can spare some servers for DC ugh

DonMigs85

One thing I noticed is that some background objects or buildings are relatively low-poly/low detail. It points to them being originally desiged for a 60FPS game (probably some time before the dev announced they were aiming for 30FPS) but they just couldn't get it to be consistent so dropped it to 30 and added some improved lighting and weather to help make up for it.

I do also wonder also if the slow Jaguar CPU is what held back performance the most. Even when all 8 cores are effectively utlized, it's no more powerful than a dual-core i3 4330.

Wait for the multiplayer it is going to be a blast i had one so far and i can tell it so damn fun to play with other 11 people online, i just hope Sony can spare some servers to DC ugh

I will play at least until I race with a higher performance car, which wont be tilll the weekend so hopefully that includes online too. Then will see. Im not completely bummed as I am enjoying FH2 but I was excited to have a racer on PS4 as well for playing with my group of friends that don't have an X1. Definitely glad the majority here enjoy it, hopefully it changes for me!

driver116

Time for a Red Dwarf rewatch now.

1366790118047.gif

nib95

Banned
One thing I noticed is that some background objects or buildings are relatively low-poly/low detail. It points to them being originally desiged for a 60FPS game (probably some time before the dev announced they were aiming for 30FPS) but they just couldn't get it to be consistent so dropped it to 30 and added some improved lighting and weather to help make up for it.

I do also wonder also if the slow Jaguar CPU is what held back performance the most. Even when all 8 cores are effectively utlized, it's no more powerful than a dual-core i3 4330.

They don't need to focus on the cpu all that much depending on how they've optimised and designed their engine, they have a fair degree of GPGPU/Compute capability in the console's GPU to take over much of that. In-fact, it has the same compute specs as the R9 290X.

DonMigs85

They don't need to focus on the cpu all that much depending on how they've optimised and designed their engine, they have a fair degree of GPGPU/Compute capability in the console's GPU to take over much of that. In-fact, it has the same compute specs as the R9 290X.

Yup but the CPU still has to process draw calls, and even on the PC side of things if you look at some Mantle game benchmarks faster CPUs can still help push significantly more frames per second.

Hoje0308

Banned

You're only five races in, you haven't even seen or raced the truly impressive stuff yet. Tackle the Italian Cup with no HUD and you'll probably change your tune. No idea why Evo chose to start the game off with India, as it's visually unimpressive and the tracks are much more fun with faster vehicles.

Nerix

I am wondering why there are connection issues even during the morning/daytime hours. Right now it´s 2:40pm in Europe (CET) and morning hours in the US (I would guesss these are the two biggest markets for Driveclub).

That there are server issues right now indicates, that they have way too little server capacities. No chance that it could work in the evening hours with this setup...

Topi

Banned
Cause the cars aren't ready! Like the servers ;)

What? They are items on PS Store, and I just get an error code if I try to download them. I did manage to download the AMG GT with no problems. The error code is CE-32930-6 which stands for something along the lines of 'item does not need to be downloaded'. Certainly not.

Cyborg

What? They are items on PS Store, and I just get an error code if I try to download them. I did manage to download the AMG GT with no problems. The error code is CE-32930-6 which stands for something along the lines of 'item does not need to be downloaded'. Certainly not.

Sorry man, that was a joke! Didnt mean it!

Inside

I am wondering why there are connection issues even during the morning/daytime hours. Right now it´s 2:40pm in Europe (CET) and morning hours in the US (I would guesss these are the two biggest markets for Driveclub).

That there are server issues right now indicates, that they have way too little server capacities. No chance that it could work in the evening hours with this setup...

In 10 minutes, I am off work (living in Denmark) and will be hammering the servers ;)

Servers are up and running! However.... only for a limited amount of people and the way it is working is that you have to wait until one person leaves so another can jump in and the choice on who can jump is entirely random!

WTF Sony...

EGOMON

I will play at least until I race with a higher performance car, which wont be tilll the weekend so hopefully that includes online too. Then will see. Im not completely bummed as I am enjoying FH2 but I was excited to have a racer on PS4 as well for playing with my group of friends that don't have an X1. Definitely glad the majority here enjoy it, hopefully it changes for me!
Yeah the game gets more challenging the higher the class you go I think by next weekend you will be able to race online 😄

They clearly underestimated the sheer amount of data that was going to be swapped and updated constantly, it's probably close to an MMO in that respect - I'm sure Rushy said something about every race you have being available on the servers as well, which is just crazy. The servers are undergoing a DDOS attack, basically, and they mustn't have set them up to cull certain aspects to cope, it seems like all on, or all off.

It's crazy, but Evo aren't Bungie and these things happen, especially with something socially experimental like DC.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Servers are up and running! However.... only for a limited amount of people and the way it is working is that you have to wait until one person leaves so another can jump in and the choice on who can jump is entirely random!

WTF Sony...
That sounds like an absolutely reasonable implementation of continued connectivity.

The reason you go WTF at this point is just because it's at maimum capacity since launch. Not because it's some mega absurd design that only idiots could come up with.

Given the ratio of "wtf I can't get in" to "OMG I got in!" posts, I am legitimately curious to see what the "queue time" would be if they installed a MMO-launch style digital queue system.

That sounds like an absolutely reasonable implementation of continued connectivity.

The reason you go WTF at this point is just because it's at maimum capacity since launch. Not because it's some mega absurd design that only idiots could come up with.

Yeah my WTF is more for the fact that it seems Sony didn't expect people to buy the game or something? I am not sure how the servers are at Max.. either it is really a good thing for Evo or they just didn't plan for it to hit max already.

spwolf

They clearly underestimated the sheer amount of data that was going to be swapped and updated constantly, it's probably close to an MMO in that respect - I'm sure Rushy said something about every race you have being available on the servers as well, which is just crazy. The servers are undergoing a DDOS attack, basically, and they mustn't have set them up to cull certain aspects to cope, it seems like all on, or all off.

It's crazy, but Evo aren't Bungie and these things happen, especially with something socially experimental like DC.

does not seem like thats the problem... seems like server side code has bugs that prevent proper online connectivity.

holy crap.

when you get to the hyper cars the complexity of the course track side stuff, shadows, and changes in light really come together.

i dont think anyone is qualified to draw conclusions about the graphics until they drive the henessey venom gt smoothly at banipur India with time dilation on. Not ping ponging into walls and ramming other cars but actually racing properly, from before dawn to morning.

... you cant see any aliasing or lack of AF its just, .. i dont think it will be topped for several years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom