• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I leave the game on at the main menu and do other stuff for half an hour, is there any chance when I come back to it it will have connected me?

I think you have the same chance no matter if you're racing or in the main menu, the game is always trying to connect you ... and that might be the issue the servers are having.

seb

Banned
Protip : Do not attempt any time trials until you understand the implication of the "strike !" trophy. I guess I'll never have that one now 😞
Also, this game is awesome and addictive but it will be probably too difficult for me in the later half. I'll try the club thing anyway but I wonder if there is a place for average players.

If I leave the game on at the main menu and do other stuff for half an hour, is there any chance when I come back to it it will have connected me?

Yes you'll have a chance you get connected and then disconnected again a few mins later. So you'll come back to a message that you've been disconnected.

Personal experience.

Neil_J_UK

OK. How the hell do I control the Ariel Atom?

I've cruised through most of the tour, but this event where I have to use the Atom/ Mono (Mono I don't have unlocked) I'm hitting a wall. I can't turn without spinning out. I'm cautious of not putting too much on the throttle out of the turn, and the only way I can go round a corner without spinning is if I go super slow, and if I do the AI rams me and I spin out anyway.

Any advice?

i unlocked another of the rufs, a faster one, but driving it with hood cam or also cockpit cams gives me almost no engine sounds -, just rushing wind. Its weird. Like a Tesla. RUFs should be visceral sounding.

Someone said earlier that it was due to licensing deal by......you guessed it EA.

Got mine, but might be due to different system here with no need to pre-order.

Modified Porsche. Kinda like how you have ralliart,amg,sti and other tuning houses.

IIRC EA holds exclusive rights to use Porsches in games

edit:beaten

The use of Porsche is restricted to a limited number of particular franchises. RUF's are (heavily) tuned Porsches that are sold under a different brand name, hence the loophole.

Edit: beaten like a Rookie in a Legend race.
Ah, okay, thanx guys!

boon

I managed to get online last night and this morning (US Central), and created a club. Club name is Deuces Wild, PSN ID: GioHammer. CLUB IT UP

ballerusk

Well, I'm complete garbage when it comes to drifting.

I-know-that-feel-bro.jpg

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
There are two controls, one mapped to X and another to a shoulder button. They are three letter acronyms. I press them, and nothing happens.

What the hell are those functions?

Also, is there any way to tell where in the world you are in a certain race, other than knowing what the geography looks like?

n!smo

Neo Member

It should work. I think you´ll get a phone call in which someone says you have been chosen or something.

GodofWine

Protip : Do not attempt any time trials until you understand the implication of the "strike !" trophy. I guess I'll never have that one now 😞
Also, this game is awesome and addictive but it will be probably too difficult for me in the later half. I'll try the club thing anyway but I wonder if there is a place for average players.

Can you explain that trophy in 3 sentences?

There are two controls, one mapped to X and another to a shoulder button. They are three letter acronyms. I press them, and nothing happens.

Also, is there any way to tell where in the world you are in a certain race, other than knowing what the geography looks like?

They are only available for certain cars and primarily used in the Formula 1. DRS and KERS:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_reduction_system
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/KERS#undefined

Sami+

Well, I'm complete garbage when it comes to drifting.

It's okay, I am too. :)

In theory you're supposed to come in fast, let go of the gas, tap/hold the e-brake to swerve and change your angle, tap the ignition repeatedly to keep your drift going, and then go. I think. I'm having trouble doing it lol.

boon

KERS and DRS(?)? Those only apply to certain high performance vehicles. There is also a mini map in the lower left corner of the screen which shows you your position.

iFootball

I was wondering what you meant... so I looked-up this Throphy and it seems it's called differently in the US verison of the game:

http://psnprofiles.com/trophy/2924-DRIVECLUB/16-Rack-em-Up-Knock-em-Down said:
Rack 'em Up, Knock 'em Down
Beat 3 Target Times in a single Time Trial event.

Unless you have completed ALL time trials, it should not be that complicated right?

I was wondering what you meant... so I looked-up this Throphy and it seems it's called differently in the US verison of the game:

Unless you have completed ALL time trials, it should not be that complicated right?

"Start single time trial (not career), in some track you have not set time yet.
Then drive slowly for first lap, lets say 1:03 (depends on track), lap 2 improve few seconds, and third lap improve few seconds more, and fourth lap drive a good lap and beat lap 3 time, and *bing*"

Late Flag

Then drive slowly for first lap, lets say 1:03 (depends on track), lap 2 improve few seconds, and third lap improve few seconds more, and fourth lap drive a good lap and beat lap 3 time, and *bing*"

Oh crap. Is this one of those trophies you can screw yourself out of if you just casually drive around a lot? I think I already have times set on every course.

poros1ty

Would an open beta have helped to avoid these issues?
Seems to me a game dependent heavily on its social features should have rigorously tested said features in advance.

Exactly. For a game that has been advertised almost entirely as a multiplayer game, this launch has been a monumental failure. The game was never really intended to be played as a single player experience only. So why bother playing it? Why release it without even testing the multiplayer under significant load?

stormplyr

It's okay, I am too. :)

In theory you're supposed to come in fast, let go of the gas, tap/hold the e-brake to swerve and change your angle, tap the ignition repeatedly to keep your drift going, and then go. I think. I'm having trouble doing it lol.

I've been trying that, sigh. I guess I'll figure it out eventually.

garyBig

Guys, I can never decide on a view setting. Always end up cycling through them OCD style. BumperCam offers highest sensation of speed, bonnetCam is like, the same, just slightly higher positioned.
Windscreen and Cockpit add the extra layer realism with fov and miffled sounds as the downsides. And then there are the two third person settings, making graphics a lot more impressive and giving great overview but obviously lacking any first person immersion and tangible speed sensation.
Maybe I should just stick to those since I just can't stop stading at my car (esp at night with those brake lights god almighty). But then I totally miss out on half of the appeal of racing it seems.
Talking about OCD, don't even get me started on hud vs. no-hud. There's always SOME info I would like to see. Hope they'll let us customise that at least

iFootball

Hmm I believe that's incorrect... the "Target Times" as described by the Trophy are set by the game, not by your own laps... when you start a Time Trial, the game will list those 3 target times on the left of the screen if I remember correctly (you basically get a star for beating each target)

seb

Banned

Yeah, it's the one where you are supposed to beat the first time without beating any of the others. Basically, on your first try, unless you quit before passing the line, which I do now but I'm far advanced in the campaign and I'm not sure there's a timetrial left that I'm able to beat :(

p3n

Made it to level 22 for now. Great fun until I hit the Pro Trophy because the AI suddenly starts to rubberband like crazy making it impossible for me to win the races. I did beat all the secondary objectives in my first try on this championship: 2nd race lap times of 1:39:XX, 3rd race lap times of 0:59:XX. Apparently beating the lap times by 3 to 4 seconds is just enough to be 5/12 or 10/12.

In all the other events I never had a problem to stay in front once I got there and as long as I did keep a clean racing line. I just came in 8th place while leading the pack until the last straight in the 2nd race, when 7 cars zipped by just before the finish line with impossible speed...

Weird thing is that the AI doesn't rubberband in the other championships of the pro bracket or on any other of the races I finished until now.

I've decided this game is basically MGSV:GZ of racers - it will get panned by anyone who tries to blow through it, and loved by those with a real desire to sink their proverbial teeth in. (And by no coincidence one will note MGSV:GZ is only a 75 on Metacritic itself.)

To that point I'd add I have no problems with scoring this game a 7 or 8, in its current state that's probably about right, especially for a $60 game. Classic case of "7 is shit" instead of "7 is a very competent game."

Now get them servers up!

seb

Banned

Ok, maybe I misunderstood, will try that then, thanks!

Number45

Ok, has anyone been able to get the special SLS, RUF and McLaren from their pre order?
Mine downloaded successfully as far as I can tell, but as the game isn't unlocked for me yet I won't be able to confirm until tomorrow if it's actually available in game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom